Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > SpursReport Sports Zone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-10, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Wife of Saints owner Tom Benson passes away

Tuesday, November 18, 2003
Wife of Saints owner Tom Benson passes away
San Antonio Business Journal - by W. Scott Bailey

Grace Marie Trudeau Benson, wife of New Orleans Saints owner and long-time San Antonio businessman Tom Benson, died of Parkinson's disease at her home in Metairie, La., around 12:30 Tuesday morning. She was 76.

Benson was born March 1, 1927, in New Orleans at her parents' home near the French Quarter. She is survived by her husband, her sister, five children and six grandchildren.

A funeral mass will be offered by Rev. Phillip M. Hannan, retired Archbishop of New Orleans, on Wednesday at 11 a.m. in New Orleans.

A memorial mass will also take place at the Immaculate Conception Chapel in San Antonio Friday at 11 a.m., with a private burial to follow.

A strong advocate of volunteerism, Grace Benson was involved with many organizations that are devoted to helping others.

Among her many credits was helping to raise $1 million for eye research in New Orleans, where she served as a board member of the Louisiana State University Medical Center.

She also helped to spearhead successful telethons for children's hospitals in New Orleans and San Antonio and was a founding member of the Benson Community Fund.

Benson was an executive in Benson Motor Co. and also served on the advisory board of San Pedro Bank in San Antonio.

In 1986, she was honored as one of The Distinguished Women of Northwood Institute for her automotive business leadership and civic endeavors. Former recipients of the award include Sen. Margaret Chase Smith and Gloria Vanderbilt.

"Grace Benson was a warm and gentle person who was tremendously courageous in her personal life," NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said in a prepared statement. "She had the ability ... to make others feel that they were gracing her with their presence when the direct opposite was nearly always the case."

Benson was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease 18 years ago. Those closest to her say her ability to rise above the difficulties of the disease will remain an enduring testament to her courage and determination in the face of adversity.

The family is asking that contributions be made for Parkinson's research.

Wife of Saints owner Tom Benson passes away - San Antonio Business Journal:
Old 02-11-10, 04:58 PM
SpursReport Rookie

R.I.P. Is this the same lady that is always by his side because she looks younger than 76, just curious.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-11-10, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Not sure, it might be his daughter. She hung on long enough to see her Saints win the Super Bowl. R.I.P.
Old 02-11-10, 05:08 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulce View Post
Not sure, it might be his daughter. She hung on long enough to see her Saints win the Super Bowl. R.I.P.
uh the article is dated November 2003?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-11-10, 05:17 PM
Administrator

doh!

How strange they would send this out today on their daily e-mail I get from them.
Old 02-14-10, 03:22 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulce View Post
doh!

How strange they would send this out today on their daily e-mail I get from them.
LOL Dulce you always post anything you find as news and thats cool, but seriously this one got me dying here man . Sorry man this just made me die laughing for some reason since someone said it was from 03, about 7 years late man hahahaa. Keep it up Dulce you are my man, but damn this one here was a little offffffffff haahah.

Tuesday 03 aahhahaha, someone says in here atleast she got to see them win a superbowl too, which I thought was possible since I DID NOT KNOW she was dead already! BUT she was dead a long time before that, RIP.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.

Last edited by Rzarector7; 02-14-10 at 03:25 AM.
Old 02-14-10, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7 View Post
LOL Dulce you always post anything you find as news and thats cool, but seriously this one got me dying here man . Sorry man this just made me die laughing for some reason since someone said it was from 03, about 7 years late man hahahaa. Keep it up Dulce you are my man, but damn this one here was a little offffffffff haahah.

Tuesday 03 aahhahaha, someone says in here atleast she got to see them win a superbowl too, which I thought was possible since I DID NOT KNOW she was dead already! BUT she was dead a long time before that, RIP.
I'm glad I could make you laugh.