Dr. Dash

NFL Conditionally Reinstates Michael Vick

NFL Conditionally Reinstates Michael Vick
Former QB Could Play As Soon As October
JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer

POSTED: Sunday, July 26, 2009
UPDATED: 2:43 pm CDT July 27, 2009

Haraz N. Ghanbari/Getty Images

PITTSFORD, N.Y. -- Michael Vick was conditionally reinstated by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday and could play in regular season games as early as October.

Vick can immediately participate in preseason practices, workouts and meetings and can play in the final two preseason games -- if he can find a team that will sign him. A number of teams have already said they would not.

Goodell suspended Vick indefinitely in August 2007 after the former Atlanta Falcons quarterback admitted bankrolling the "Bad Newz Kennels" dogfighting operation. Goodell said then that Vick must show remorse and signs that he has changed before he would consider reinstating him.

Once the season begins, Vick may participate in all team activities except games, and Goodell said he would consider Vick for full reinstatement by Week 6 (Oct. 18-19).

Goodell called a news conference for late Monday afternoon.

The announcement came after a busy first week of freedom for Vick, who met with union leaders and Goodell on consecutive days last week. His 23-month federal sentence ended when an electronic monitor was removed from his ankle early on July 20 at his home in Hampton, Va.

He met with DeMaurice Smith, executive director of the NFL Players Association, last Tuesday and, on Wednesday, he sat down with Goodell at a security firm in Allendale, N.J.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

NFL Conditionally Reinstates Michael Vick - San Antonio Sports News Story - KSAT San Antonio
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-27-09, 06:07 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Iam a huge football fan and animal lover and i agree with this decision. I hate what he did to those poor dogs but he did go to jail and paid his debt to society. Again i did struggle with this but it was the right move. I WILL NEVER BE A FAN OF HIS THOUGH AND I HOPE MY TEAM THE DALLAS COWBOYS NEVER GOES AFTER HIM!!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-27-09, 10:16 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

This wasn't a one time stupid mistake. I could forgive the occasional stupid drunken mistake by some super talented kid. On the other hand, Vick knowingly and willfully conspired for years to commit various felonies.

That said, I won't be surprised if he ends up wearing a silver hat with a blue star on it.

Once upon a time, giants ruled the earth....
Old 07-27-09, 10:25 PM
Dr. Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsspur View Post
This wasn't a one time stupid mistake. I could forgive the occasional stupid drunken mistake by some super talented kid. On the other hand, Vick knowingly and willfully conspired for years to commit various felonies.

That said, I won't be surprised if he ends up wearing a silver hat with a blue star on it.
Jerry will do it just for the free publicity.
Old 07-28-09, 12:51 AM
SpursReport Team Member

He was part of an organized gambling ring.

I know...it's very much a part of the same type of events that go on here in south Texas...dog fighting, rooster fighting, etc...but as stated by highplains...not a one time event.

One could argue that he paid his debt to society...but what about the integrity of the NFL...to those with kids who idealize athletes...is this a good way to show them about integrity?

I guess it's no worse than to continually shoot up strip clubs and bars.

How many chances should be given and to what degree is enough?

It reminds me of a child support case I heard about not long ago...the defendant happened to be an ex pro athlete who was in the arrears by more than $90,000...he got probation because the judge said what good would it be if he were placed in prison and not able to work?...funny thing is...that's the same excuse that is used by the majority of peole placed in jail for delenquent child support.

I'm glad the Spurs organization doesn't operate that way.