News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > SpursReport Sports Zone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-09, 10:36 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Broncos have deal in place to send Cutler to San Francisco

Denver Examiner Online - Sports - Broncos trade Cutler to 49ers

Last edited by cjdrivera; 04-01-09 at 10:57 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-01-09, 04:17 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
The Denver Broncos have the framework of a deal in place to trade disgruntled starting quarterback Jay Cutler to the 49ers, a source close to the team reports. The 49ers will reportedly send their first and third round pick in this year's draft (10th and 74th overall), their second round pick in the 2010 draft, aging safety Mark Roman, and former first overall pick Alex Smith.
thats not a bad deal at all for the Broncos.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-01-09, 05:57 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Dude, this an April's fool joke.
Old 04-01-09, 06:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_50 View Post
Dude, this an April's fool joke.

Gotta be... Alex Smith over possibly getting Quinn or Campbell.

Unless Detroit or Denver were truly impressed with Stafford's most recent workout.
Old 04-01-09, 07:46 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I was had.
Old 04-02-09, 08:07 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII View Post
I was had.
Sorry Sleepy I had to do it.
Old 04-02-09, 05:30 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Nope going to Chicago!
Chicago Bears acquire Jay Cutler from Denver Broncos - ESPN
Bears give up 2 first-round picksComment Email Print Share By John Clayton
ESPN.com
Archive
The Chicago Bears pulled the big upset Thursday afternoon by acquiring Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler.

To acquire Cutler, the Bears had to give up quarterback Kyle Orton and first-round picks in 2009 and 2010, along with a third-round pick in 2009.

Jay Cutler
#6 QB
Denver Broncos
2008 STATS

Att
616 Comp
384 Yds
4457 TD
25 Int
18 Rat
To complete the trade, the Broncos had to give back a fifth-round pick in 2009. That pick was acquired by the Broncos from the Seattle Seahawks in a trade for wide receiver Keary Colbert.

The Bears beat out the Redskins, Buccaneers, Lions, Titans and other teams to land the 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback. The Broncos had made it clear they were asking for at least two first-round choices.

Cutler asked to be traded when he found out first-year coach Josh McDaniels tried to acquire Matt Cassel in a trade with the Patriots.

Kyle Orton
#18 QB
Chicago Bears
2008 STATS

Att
465 Comp
272 Yds
2812 TD
18 Int
12 Rat
On Tuesday, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen released a statement saying both he and McDaniels had been unable to get Cutler to call them back during the past 10 days. Cutler also had been staying away from the offseason program.

As a result, the Broncos decided to trade Cutler, whom they were convinced "no longer has any desire to play for the Denver Broncos."

According to NFL senior analyst Chris Mortensen, however, Cutler replied, "No," in a text message when asked whether Bowlen had directly tried to contact him.

Cutler's agent, Bus Cook, said the Broncos first got in touch with him on Tuesday.

"The perception that they've been burning the phone lines the last 10 days is wrong," Cook said. "In fact, the other day I asked Jay if he had heard from them and he said, 'No.' I didn't hear from them until yesterday [Tuesday] morning when [GM] Brian Xanders called me and said that Mr. Bowlen needs to speak with Jay now. I told him all I can do is leave Jay a message.

Cutler to Bears

ESPN.com's Bill Williamson and the rest of the ESPN.com NFL blog network look at the fallout from the deal that took Jay Cutler to Chicago. Blog

"I didn't reach Jay directly -- I don't know what he was doing -- but I left a message. Then Brian called at the end of the day and asked me if I had heard from him. I hadn't. I heard from Jay when he called to tell me he just saw on TV he was being traded. They can spin it the way they want to spin it."

At first, McDaniels had faith he could repair the strained relationship with his temperamental quarterback -- if only he could get him to call him back. On Tuesday, he became convinced that just wasn't going to happen.

Cutler is halfway through the six-year, $48 million contract he signed as the 11th overall pick out of Vanderbilt in the 2006 draft. He's 17-20 as Broncos starter, although that's misleading because of Denver's dismal defense.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com