SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   SpursReport Sports Zone (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spursreport-sports-zone/)
-   -   Stupid Cowboys! (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spursreport-sports-zone/69245-stupid-cowboys.html)

Skunk Works 02-28-09 05:22 PM

Stupid Cowboys!

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

The Dallas Cowboys announced Saturday they have traded starting cornerback Anthony Henry for Lions quarterback Jon Kitna. And who could blame the Lions for doing business with the Cowboys? Based strictly on last season's results, it looks like Detroit fleeced the Cowboys on the Roy Williams deal.

Now the Lions have traded a quarterback who they were about to release for a starting cornerback. I understand that the Cowboys would have had competition for Kitna had he hit the open market, but did they really need to trade a player of Henry's value?

Henry is not even the player the Cowboys have been shopping. That would be safety Roy Williams. Trading Williams for Kitna would have made more sense than giving up Henry. The Lions were probably hoping to land a late-round draft pick, at the most, for Kitna. Now, they have a player who started 16 games for the Cowboys in 2008.

The Cowboys could argue that Kitna's contract is better than Henry's, but there's not a huge difference. Kitna will make about $2 million in 2009 and Henry will make $3.6 milllion. Both players are entering the final year of their deals.

Now that we've established that it's a strange deal, I do think Kitna is a good fit for the Cowboys. Jerry Jones wants Roy Williams to become his No. 1 receiver -- and the wide receiver had his best season as a pro with Kitna in 2006. Kitna is not going to compete with Romo for the starting job, but he's still good enough to pose a threat if Romo starts piling up turnovers.

Of the crop that included quarterbacks such as Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, Jeff Garcia, Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch, I thought Kitna was the best option. He is three years younger than Garcia and he is a guy who could step in and win some games if Romo gets hurt again. The Cowboys learned a tough lesson about backup quarterbacks in 2008.

Maybe that has something to do with them being a little overzealous in going after Kitna.
Cowboys make puzzling trade for QB Kitna - NFL Nation - ESPN

Dallas Cowboys, Jerry Jones, Roy

joballer 02-28-09 05:42 PM

Jerry Jones is becoming Al Davis

Thomas82 02-28-09 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joballer (Post 1120741)

Too late for that, he already is.

versace3177 02-28-09 06:47 PM

uh it was a straight up deal , Henry was garbage anyway either he was hurt most of the season or giving up big plays. Besides his contract was up after this koming up season and would have been released anyway!! I think it was a great move , he kan help Romo with Roy Williams and even challenge his ass for a starting job which would mean he might take his role more serious now!

hawaiiantexan 02-28-09 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by versace3177 (Post 1120765)
uh it was a straight up deal , Henry was garbage anyway either he was hurt most of the season or giving up big plays. Besides his contract was up after this koming up season and would have been released anyway!! I think it was a great move , he kan help Romo with Roy Williams and even challenge his ass for a starting job which would mean he might take his role more serious now!

I agree, Henry was horrible. This trade is not a big deal. Jerry Jones is about as horrible an owner as Henry is a player.

joballer 02-28-09 09:28 PM

What they need is a reliable SS. Release Roy Williams

versace3177 02-28-09 09:50 PM

I was kinda down about Roy Willy too bad he was injured I was kurious to see what he was gonna do this past year. I don't think Jerry kuts him he's either our starting SS next year or he gets traded.

FairWeatherFan 03-01-09 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joballer (Post 1120741)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas82 (Post 1120745)
Too late for that, he already is.

I can't wait till Jerry enters phase 2 and starts wearing the jumpsuits 24/7. :wink