News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > SpursReport Sports Zone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-09, 03:24 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Drugs claim could spell disaster for Michael Phelps

Drugs claim could spell disaster for Michael Phelps - Times Online

Kevin Eason, Sports News Correspondent A mixture of shock and disbelief swept the United States yesterday as the nation woke up to an abject apology from the man it had hailed as its greatest Olympic athlete. Michael Phelps was a hero and role model for millions but now his career will be stained forever by claims that he smoked drugs.

The world's greatest swimmer was forced to say sorry after a British tabloid newspaper showed a picture of him appearing to smoke marijuana through a glass pipe, known as a bong, at a student party just weeks after creating history at the Beijing Olympic Games. In a spellbinding week, Phelps had won a record eight gold medals and turned himself into a $100 million superstar.

But his reputation is in tatters. As Phelps's face beamed out from cereal packets on millions of breakfast tables throughout the US - the lucrative result of just one of his many sponsorship deals - his apology came as a desperate act of damage limitation.

Although marijuana is a recreational drug not considered to be performance-enhancing, it is banned under World Anti-Doping Agency rules and athletes caught smoking dope could face a ban of up to two years.

“I engaged in behaviour which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment,” Phelps said. “I am 23 years old and, despite the successes I have had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner that people have come to expect from me. For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public it will not happen again.”

Phelps has never failed a drugs test and even offered to take extra tests before the Olympic Games last August to promote an anti-doping campaign. Phelps has not broken any of his sport's rules as he has not tested positive for a banned substance, but his high profile may force the US Olympic Committee to make an example of an athlete who, on the face of it, may be regarded as untouchable.

USA Swimming, the sport's governing body in the US, said that it was disappointed by Phelps's behaviour. “Our Olympic champions are role models who are looked up to by people of all ages, especially young athletes who have their own aspirations and dreams,” a statement read. “That said, we realise that none among us is perfect. We hope that Michael can learn from this incident and move forward in a positive way.”

Team-mates and friends were quick to defend him. Jason Lezak, who swam the anchor leg in the 400 metres freestyle relay that kept Phelps on track for his gold-medal record, said he was saddened by the revelations in the News of the World. “If my wife and I can help him in any way, we will,” he said. “I believe he will grow from this and be a better person.”

But the fallout could be huge according to marketing experts, who believe that there could be a mass bail-out by the sponsors who had clamoured to sign up Phelps after Beijing.

“If this is all true, it will be nothing short of a disaster,” John Taylor, chairman of Sports Impact, one of Britain's leading sponsorship agencies, said. “Every sponsor has something called a disrepute clause written into their contracts and I will bet a few of them will be running through the small print first thing on Monday morning. This is terrible for his image.”

Phelps earns up to £5 million a year from deals with ten leading companies, including Hilton Hotels, Omega watches, Kellogg's cereals and Speedo swimwear. Speedo paid Phelps a $1 million bonus for capturing his eight golds in Beijing. His appeal has spread around the globe since he turned the Olympics into a personal triumph. Only last month, he became the face of Mazda cars in China.

He has been here before: in 2004, shortly after winning six gold and two bronze medals at the Athens Olympics, he was sentenced to 18 months' probation for drink-driving. It seems that the Olympic curse has struck America's sporting hero once again.

Recreational habits

Matt Stevens England prop who failed a test and last month admitted his addiction to a drug, believed to be cocaine. Faces a two-year ban from rugby union

Martina Hingis Shocked the world when she tested positive for cocaine at the 2007 Wimbledon Championships. She retired immediately from tennis

Wendell Sailor Banned from Australian rugby in 2006 for two years after testing positive for cocaine

Mark Bosnich The former Aston Villa and Chelsea goalkeeper was one of the first high-profile sportsmen to be banned for using recreational drugs. Served a nine-month ban in 2002

Kieren Fallon Champion jockey banned from riding for 18 months after testing positive for cocaine in 2007
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-02-09, 06:33 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Is his reputation really in tatters or is the Times just saying it's in tatters? I don't think you should still be smoking pot at 23, but at the same time... I mean it's marijuana. He's not doing a line here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-02-09, 11:55 AM
Dr. Dash

I think it has more to do with the Morality Clause in his contracts. If he has that with any advertiser, the advertiser could drop him and he could loose millions of dollars.
Old 02-02-09, 01:45 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
The world's greatest swimmer was forced to say sorry after a British tabloid newspaper showed a picture of him appearing to smoke marijuana through a glass pipe, known as a bong, at a student party just weeks after creating history at the Beijing Olympic Games. In a spellbinding week, Phelps had won a record eight gold medals and turned himself into a $100 million superstar.
What is this, 1965? In the age of massive steroid public hearings, this seems so inconsequential.
Old 02-02-09, 03:46 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

We could never do something so f*ckingly outrageous!! Holy sh*t what the hell??

Sincerely,
NBA Players
Old 02-02-09, 04:38 PM
Delusional Manu Lover

Puff Puff Pass.......Puff Puff Pass.

Sincerly,

Josh Howard

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Old 02-02-09, 08:57 PM
SpursReport Team Member

this story has about 3 minutes left. no one cares. oh my gosh a 23 year old male in the usa took a bong hit. how newsworthy, not!

yeah, his sponsers are lining up with support. no one will drop him over this tiny matter. just don't get caught on camera phone next time, dude.
Old 02-02-09, 09:20 PM
SpursReport Rookie

If this were such a tiny matter, then why does he have to worry about getting caught on a camera phone, dude?
Old 02-03-09, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher View Post
I think it has more to do with the Morality Clause in his contracts. If he has that with any advertiser, the advertiser could drop him and he could loose millions of dollars.

Exactly..BIG $$$ is lost here...Too bad Michael did not care or did not know ...And worse that he got exposed on camera. Too bad he is that GREAT Champion but not so smart regarding saving his image.
:richb HELLO you just won the OLYMPICS and everyone is looking up to you Michael...WHY not be more careful that kids are looking up to watch you and do the same things you do to be you?

Now this should tarnish his image for a while until he goes for a Rehab I guess or a long time has gone by so people had forgotten about it, then maybe those sponsors would come back, especially if he wins again in the next Olympics. But not after he wins again in the OLY.

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 02-06-09, 08:47 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

hello im michael phelps i made a mistake, i have tons of gold medals made tons of money already, go ahead drop me. unless he has to give money back, story doesn't matter. he'll be back.

drop the whole kids look up to you thing, enough of that sh1t already. that gets way over played today. man made a mistake he's 23 yrs old making millions, this isn't going tarnish his image, story has 15 min of fame and then DONE. tarnish his image for like 3wks.

here's a crazy idea, parents being parents instead complaining kids look up to him, if they ask, why not just explain to your kids he made a mistake and it happens, better yet they might not even care, especially the young ones who probably aren't watching the news or paying attention
Old 02-07-09, 04:22 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscrazed View Post
Exactly..BIG $$$ is lost here...Too bad Michael did not care or did not know ...And worse that he got exposed on camera. Too bad he is that GREAT Champion but not so smart regarding saving his image.
:richb HELLO you just won the OLYMPICS and everyone is looking up to you Michael...WHY not be more careful that kids are looking up to watch you and do the same things you do to be you?

Now this should tarnish his image for a while until he goes for a Rehab I guess or a long time has gone by so people had forgotten about it, then maybe those sponsors would come back, especially if he wins again in the next Olympics. But not after he wins again in the OLY.
Nobody goes to rehab for marijuana.
Old 02-07-09, 04:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R View Post
Nobody goes to rehab for marijuana.
This just reminds me of Half-Baked...Bob Saget yelling "Have you s***** d*** for marijuana?" and the guy yelling "I seen him!" while booing Dave Chapelle from the podium at rehab. Priceless.

Old 02-07-09, 07:08 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I wish marijuana could just be legal. Am i the only one that thinks alcohol is 3 times as bad? I mean, alcohol turns people into monsters. It kills millions of people each year. I cant speak for everyone, but i know when i have smoked, it doesnt exactly impair me like alcohol. And on top of that, i feel i am more cautious when driving....Opposed to alcohol where if you are drunk it is downright impossible to drive. Obviously this is just one of tons of points i could make that backup my reasoning that alcohol is much worse than a little pot. I wish they would just legalize the stuff. Maybe my granpa would start smoking rather than getting drunk every night and acting like a mad man. In conclusion, I can see why they are worked up because marijuana IS illegal...But in all reality, alcohol is really what should be illegal.

Last edited by TimmyDthaWay2B; 02-07-09 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-08-09, 12:35 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B View Post
I wish marijuana could just be legal. Am i the only one that thinks alcohol is 3 times as bad? I mean, alcohol turns people into monsters. It kills millions of people each year. I cant speak for everyone, but i know when i have smoked, it doesnt exactly impair me like alcohol. And on top of that, i feel i am more cautious when driving....Opposed to alcohol where if you are drunk it is downright impossible to drive. Obviously this is just one of tons of points i could make that backup my reasoning that alcohol is much worse than a little pot. I wish they would just legalize the stuff. Maybe my granpa would start smoking rather than getting drunk every night and acting like a mad man. In conclusion, I can see why they are worked up because marijuana IS illegal...But in all reality, alcohol is really what should be illegal.
Driving drunk or stoned is bad news bears. I have no problem what you do with your friends for a good time, just call a cab or spend the night. Driving while high slows down your reaction time so even if you're going at a tortoise pace, it hampers your ability to drive defensively (i.e. swerve to avoid a speeding out of control drunk driver).

Pot has it's own flaws; though it doesn't make you as potentially dangerous/violent to others as alcohol, I do think it can cause an individual plenty of trouble for themselves, especially in people lacking in self control. I've known plenty of kids (albeit most of them not brilliant) that could be in a lot better situations if they had put down the bong til after midterms or until after work--a problem common with alcoholics too.
Old 02-08-09, 07:09 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiallo1984 View Post
Driving drunk or stoned is bad news bears. I have no problem what you do with your friends for a good time, just call a cab or spend the night. Driving while high slows down your reaction time so even if you're going at a tortoise pace, it hampers your ability to drive defensively (i.e. swerve to avoid a speeding out of control drunk driver).

Pot has it's own flaws; though it doesn't make you as potentially dangerous/violent to others as alcohol, I do think it can cause an individual plenty of trouble for themselves, especially in people lacking in self control. I've known plenty of kids (albeit most of them not brilliant) that could be in a lot better situations if they had put down the bong til after midterms or until after work--a problem common with alcoholics too.
Heard it plenty of times, but i personally do not think it slows down your reaction time significantly enough to where it causes serious danger. Please explain exactly what trouble it can cause for an individual. Health reasons are not a part of my argument. Lacking self control? I guess people are different. For a while i was smoking atleast once a day, but still taking 12 hours of college per week and working 38 hours a week at the wal-mart home office. Some people may be more motivated than others. But my whole argument isnt about how it affects people with their careers, schooling, ect. EVERYTHING is going to have flaws, my argument is that the flaws involved with alcohol triple the flaws involved with pot.. And the flaws with alcohol are a whole lot serious. Just seeing the picture that society paints about pot is ridiculous. One in particular, the commerical with the car full of guys pulling through a drive through ordering cheesburgers....what a joke. NO ONE acts like that when they are smoking...Those guys were acting like they were drunk. Millions of kids are failing midterms becasue they dont care....With pot having nothing to do with it.. In my opinion, even with pot it is personal choice. Not to take away from your point, i think that is the case with a lot of people too....but compared to the things alcohol does to people and families, thats a minor flaw.

Do you ever watch intervention? i have been waiting to see an intervention with marijuana...i know i will never see it....and its because pot isnt serious. It doesnt affect anyone the way everything else does. i struggle to even call it a drug.

Last edited by TimmyDthaWay2B; 02-08-09 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-10-09, 06:53 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B View Post
Alcohol is three times worse, I drink but come on now people. One is a plan that grows for a reason the other is addciting and ruins lives, hell drunks are alot worse than people who are just having a good time smoking and it hardly ever causes half the violence or stupidity as alcohol does (I have seen it). Let me guess they can't profit from it nor distribute it correctly so it's not legal? I mean money is what it all boils down to right, profits? Thats what this world is about, not your health or whats worse for you. It's this bad drug ohhhhh do commercials and convince kids and parents who were oh so innocent growing up to frown on it and make it this evil gateway drug which ruins your life! Yet promote alcohol during sporting events and so on, it's lightly looked at and something everyone does and so on, the promotion is just crazy. Media influences people, way too much.

^^^^^^ To Timmy above too on the drug thing, to me it's not a drug but a plant which Indians used and so on for healing, it can be abused but seriously it has it's goods too. Drugs are the crap they promote and sell everyday on tv., the big pharma drugs which cause deaths annualy and have many side effects yet are shown in big light on TV for profits are drugs, PERIOD. They should be frowned upon, not marijuana.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.

Last edited by Rzarector7; 02-10-09 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-13-09, 02:48 AM

Here is my 2 cents.

Michael Phelps got caught smoking a bong.

Phelps has admitted to various outlets he was smoking pot.

He has lost at least one big sponsor (Kellogs) but I'm not sure about anyone else.

Phelps was also suspended by USA Swimming for 3 months. Others who were there with Phelps are now starting to face potential criminal charges.

For people have come out and said to lay off, he's just a kid making a youthful indiscretion. you are entitled to your own opinions and No matter what your view is on whether or not marijuana should be illegal, it IS illegal. You can continue to wish whatever you want it will NEVER EVER be legal EVER. So go on dream forever...
Your USA Government as all other world's Governments legislators have decided it as illegal unless it is used for medical purposes. PERIOD.

Phelps, I'm almost positive, did not have that marijuana for medicinal purposes. Thus, he was breaking the law. Also, he's not a kid. Don't give me that SH!!T too He's 23, a college graduate, and an Olympic swimmer too. I won't even go into detail about his partying in Las Vegas, hardly a city for children.....

When you choose to break the law you have to face the consequences. Phelps isn't out there asking people to treat him like a kid and it's time for the media to stop doing it for him.

You can crucify me but that is the truth and I hope it can set you free. God Bless you all.
I don't want to get into quoting some bible verses here too.

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 02-13-09, 07:26 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

I did my fair share of stupid things as a younger man.... including smoking a lot of weed in college. I grew up and turned out okay.
Old 02-13-09, 09:10 AM
Delusional Manu Lover

This is big news today but, I guarantee you that in a year it will be forgotten about. When Phelps goes to the next Olympics and wins more gold, it will be a distant footnote. He will be rolling in the dough once again.

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Old 02-13-09, 06:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

he lost kellogs, he'll be fine, speedo and omega aren't dropping him and thats big money, speedo realizes umm yeah he makes us money by winning so i think we'll keep him.

news today, officially done in 3 months when his suspension is over.

all politics, usa swimming "had to do something to satisfy" all the "do-gooders" and the "what about the kids" people. suspending phelps for 3 months during some random year with no impact, like supsending baseball players for 20 games during an 182 game season. does it matter? no.

do they have jails big enough for teens and college aid students who smoked a j or hit the bong