News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 01-02-09, 05:03 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Big 12 South Overrated?

With the performance of Texas Tech today, what are the chances of the Big 12 South going winless (0-4) this bowl season? For being the "toughest" division in college football, the best we can do now is 2-2.

Hook 'em!

If the division does go 1-3 or 0-4, what does that say about A&M??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-02-09, 09:25 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Its all about the SEC.
Old 01-02-09, 11:35 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B View Post
Its all about the SEC.
Didn't Utah just beat Alabama?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-03-09, 09:39 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

They did. But there is no doubt in my or any other experts mind that Bama is the better team. Its still about the SEC. Didnt think they would go undefeated in bowls, but your crazy if you think the big 12 is better than the SEC... Texas, Texas Tech (maybe?) and OU IS the big 12....... I hesitate putting Tech in there since they got spanked by Ole Miss. When a Big 12 team beats an SEC team then come talk to me..... no question the SEC and Big 12 are the two best conferences.... But im guessing the SEC takes it THIRD national title in a row.......

Last edited by TimmyDthaWay2B; 01-03-09 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-03-09, 11:07 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I never understood the conference loyalty that SEC fans. I'm really only concerned about the Longhorn's success. And to tell you the truth I was hoping that Tech lost and I will probably be rooting against Oklahoma in the title game. I'm more passionate about school rivalries than conference rivalries, maybe that's just me.
Old 01-03-09, 11:32 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
They did. But there is no doubt in my or any other experts mind that Bama is the better team.
Then is they are the better team, why did the lose?
Old 01-03-09, 02:31 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Why? Because the better team doesnt always win. But i will definately give props to utah. take nothing away from them. because they are way underrated. But, no one reason bama lost, but we can start with the all american left tackle that didnt play.
Old 01-03-09, 02:34 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSpur View Post
I never understood the conference loyalty that SEC fans. I'm really only concerned about the Longhorn's success. And to tell you the truth I was hoping that Tech lost and I will probably be rooting against Oklahoma in the title game. I'm more passionate about school rivalries than conference rivalries, maybe that's just me.
Im an arkansas fan, so maybe that will help you to understand. and its a fact, the SEC is the best conference in football. But as an Arkansas fan, i wont have anything to cheer about until next year when we get a capable QB. But i also hope OU loses, but i am rooting for Texas. i think Colt Mccoy is amazing.
Old 01-03-09, 02:36 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

It isnt just SEC fans either, its just as much in the big 12 as the SEC.
Old 01-04-09, 10:07 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Why? Because the better team doesnt always win. But i will definately give props to utah. take nothing away from them. because they are way underrated. But, no one reason bama lost, but we can start with the all american left tackle that didnt play.
The reason to start this thread was to point out a silly little fact (like the PAC 10 going 5-0 this bowl season). I really don't care which conference is better (my guess is overall the SEC is better than the Big 12), but this excuse making why Alabama lost to Utah and that the better team did not win is pretty weak. To me (and it always has been even before the TX/OU game), the fact is: it is ALL about "Scoreboard".
Old 01-04-09, 12:24 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
They did. But there is no doubt in my or any other experts mind that Bama is the better team.
:richb

ya, thats why they lost to an undefeated team right? and it was basically a home game for bama. Utah was clearly the better team, i dont know what "expert" you speak of unless thats what you consider yourself
Old 01-04-09, 12:26 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
ya but the better team doesnt get romped, and utah romped on bama, thats a fact
Old 01-06-09, 03:55 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:

It's not just you NewSpur, I'm with you on this one. My Loyalty lies with my team and
screw everyone else. OU, A&M, & Texas Tech can lose every game for all I care...USC, LSU
and Ohio St too, I hate all them. I hope Florida wipes the turf with Okie, i hate Oklahoma!
Just the same, if Philly, NYG, or Washington were in the Superbowl, I wouldn't be pulling for them either--Dallas Cowboys all the way baby! I don't want my teams rival to win a championship.
Old 01-06-09, 09:41 AM
Delusional Manu Lover

Quote:

If I used your reasoning that the better team doesn't always win, I can say that when Texas Tech beat UT, the better team lost and the Horns should have been undefeated and won the national title this year. Your reasoning does not make sense. At the end of the day the better team is determined by the numbers on the scoreboard when the game clock reads 0.

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Old 01-06-09, 04:25 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
I hesitate putting Tech in there since they got spanked by Ole Miss. When a Big 12 team beats an SEC team then come talk to me.....
A 13 point win is a slap on the wrist. OU beat Tech by 44 and that's after allowing a last minute TD and running a fullback dive on 4th and goal from the 1 to avoid scoring in the 70s. That's a spanking.

But hey, I still think Tech is better than Ole Miss. With a healthy Crabtree and Harrell, who knows? Since you so easily dismiss Utah's win, I'm dismissing Ole Miss' win.

Finally, bowl matchups don't really prove much. Does anyone think the Pac 10 is the best conference? They went 5-0 in bowls. Does anyone believe the Big XII north is better than the South? They went 3-0 and the South is only 1-2 so far.

What about last year's Cotton Bowl - Missouri - the same weak Missouri team dominated by OU and Texas - trashed Arkansas, who had just beat LSU. The SEC is a bunch of media hype.
Old 01-06-09, 04:43 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Gators fan here, I could care less if the REST of the SEC loses it's bowl games as long as FLA holds it downn and wins..... I agree with you guys in here, the conference loyalty is a joke, it's about YOUR team, fans and players alike take it way too seriously (Media too).
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 01-06-09, 04:47 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLadiesMike View Post
A 13 point win is a slap on the wrist. OU beat Tech by 44 and that's after allowing a last minute TD and running a fullback dive on 4th and goal from the 1 to avoid scoring in the 70s. That's a spanking.

But hey, I still think Tech is better than Ole Miss. With a healthy Crabtree and Harrell, who knows? Since you so easily dismiss Utah's win, I'm dismissing Ole Miss' win.

Finally, bowl matchups don't really prove much. Does anyone think the Pac 10 is the best conference? They went 5-0 in bowls. Does anyone believe the Big XII north is better than the South? They went 3-0 and the South is only 1-2 so far.

What about last year's Cotton Bowl - Missouri - the same weak Missouri team dominated by OU and Texas - trashed Arkansas, who had just beat LSU. The SEC is a bunch of media hype.
So you use that as an example to prove the conference is better? They beat so and so and then lost to so and so? Do you know week to week is different and proves nothing? I mean if you beat a team by 2 points and then another team beats them by 10 or so a week later, does the one who beats them by more is clearly better or did they match up better or just play lights out that week? Some weeks you come to play hard and others teams do not, all depends on which team shows up, injuries and other factors (Matchups as well). If this is the case then Ohio State who the SEC thrashed two years in a row has Texas barely beat them in the bowl game! Does that mean Texas is not very good? Which means OSU is even worse right since they could not beat Ohio State going by your logic? Correct? Big 12 is a bunch of media hype them if you use the logic you used Mike. Let the game be played with your team and worry about that (I will), which conference is better is irrelevant and FLA and OSU is all that matters right now.

BTW Ole Miss who FLA lost to by one thrashed TTU who beat Texas! Guess OLE MISS is better
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLadiesMike View Post

Neither win should be dismissed but I agree with all you just said. Oh yeah Utah dominated the line of ALA no doubt, if you use injuries though of Crabtree then ALA's lineman (A projected top 5 pick) and another O lineman being out changed alot right? I mean the line is where you win it right? The thing is injuries suck and they do effect you, but if Bama uses that excuse just say to them you weren't crying when FLA had two D lineman out nor the great Percy Harvin out correct? Part of the game.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.

Last edited by Rzarector7; 01-06-09 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-06-09, 07:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
I'm with you on that. If a Big 12 Team is playing a non-conference game/bowl game I don''t necessarily root for the Big 12 Team just because they are a part of the Big 12. No matter who it is outside of UT I usually just pull for the underdog. Conference loyalty is a little silly to me.
Old 01-09-09, 02:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

As I said earlier in the week I don't understand the conference loyalty that SEC fans have and most of you agreed. But after OU's loss last night I went over to the ESPN message boards and there are a few boneheads from the SEC that are calling the Big 12 overrated and claiming the SEC as the greatest conference ever and all that crap. Talk about broken logic, just because Florida beat OU doesn't mean that Florida would beat Texas or Tech or any other Big 12 school. I know I'm probably preaching to the choir but this argument isn't going away until we get a true playoff.
Old 01-10-09, 08:47 AM
SpursReport Team Member

While there is some argument to be made for conference loyalty; for example the PAC 10, if that conference was more highly regarded, one loss USC would have been playing in the championship against Florida. It was because the BIG 12 was so hyped that OU got to play in that game.

Now, with all that said, as a Texas Ex, I'll never root for OU, A&M, and Tech. Maybe OSU and some Big 12 North schools. Like Singletarry recently said "Just can't do it".
Old 01-11-09, 12:08 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
As I said earlier in the week I don't understand the conference loyalty that SEC fans have and most of you agreed. But after OU's loss last night I went over to the ESPN message boards and there are a few boneheads from the SEC that are calling the Big 12 overrated and claiming the SEC as the greatest conference ever and all that crap. Talk about broken logic, just because Florida beat OU doesn't mean that Florida would beat Texas or Tech or any other Big 12 school. I know I'm probably preaching to the choir but this argument isn't going away until we get a true playoff.
FLA could play with any team in the nation IMO..... They proved that this year. I am not saying others did not deesrve a shot, but Texas barely beat Ohio State, which does not say too much for them, and TT got killed late by Ole Miss.... They beat FLA by one, the only team to this year, but they did beat them. I see what you are saying man, peace.