News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 08-15-10, 01:24 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Tony should get the Max if. . .

If Tony Parker is the best player on the team this year, and we win a championship, he should get a max contract.

And what I mean by best player is. . .

Spurs get the 1st or 2nd seed in the West
Tony leads the team in scoring 24+ppg
Leads the team in assists 6.5+

If Tony can prove that he can lead us to a championship, I think we could build around him even after Duncan leaves.

But only if he proves he can do it this year!
Old 08-15-10, 01:39 PM
SpursReport Rookie

IMO there is too many scoring options on the team for him to score 24 PPG, its going to be around 18-20 at best. He should be able to get those assists tho, thats for sure. Nothing is solid in the west after the Lakers, so 2nd in the west could be possible.

I still believe Tony wont get the max, but if he does I wouldnt be surprised.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-15-10, 03:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I like Tony as a player, but he's not a superstar. I think to be considered to be a superstar, you better at least be a regular member of the NBA All Stars, and not just in your "career" years.

Tony's contract ending with the new CBA is bad luck for Tony as the unknowns and possible lock-out take away some of his leverage unless they come to terms on an extension before the end of the year. Unless Tony has a bad year, look for an extension to be signed at something less than a Max level, which still may be more than he could get under the new CBA.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-15-10, 03:44 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

TP is not a max player, thats insane. You'd destroy our franchise.
Old 08-15-10, 09:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith3503 View Post
TP is not a max player, thats insane. You'd destroy our franchise.
+1

Knicks are more likely to give him a max deal.
Old 08-15-10, 11:06 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
If Tony Parker is the best player on the team this year, and we win a championship, he should get a max contract.

And what I mean by best player is. . .

Spurs get the 1st or 2nd seed in the West
Tony leads the team in scoring 24+ppg
Leads the team in assists 6.5+

If Tony can prove that he can lead us to a championship, I think we could build around him even after Duncan leaves.

But only if he proves he can do it this year!
Whats with you wanting Tony in your posts and topics to always get max money? Are you his agent? He is not a max player!
Old 08-16-10, 04:10 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Whats with you wanting Tony in your posts and topics to always get max money? Are you his agent? He is not a max player!
If Tony leads this team to a championship, he is a max player. If we pay him as Duncan leaves it doesn't destroy the team.

If we win a championship, but it isn't clear that Tony lead us there, or if we don't win a championship, Tony doesn't deserve max money.

It is that simple.

I would rather he somehow step up and prove to the naysayers that he can lead the team to a championship, and that we reward him with a max contract.
Old 08-16-10, 05:19 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
If Tony leads this team to a championship, he is a max player. If we pay him as Duncan leaves it doesn't destroy the team.

If we win a championship, but it isn't clear that Tony lead us there, or if we don't win a championship, Tony doesn't deserve max money.

It is that simple.

I would rather he somehow step up and prove to the naysayers that he can lead the team to a championship, and that we reward him with a max contract.
You stated before on here 5 years 75 million without your conditional championship considerations. I say keep him BUT not give him max money. He declares wanting max or wants to go to NY so be it. I just hope if they do move him they get value now and not do a sh*tty sign and trade were the Spurs get crummy bottom of the barrell first rounders and super high numbered second rounders for him.(Bosh/James) I think the wait and see approach is going to backfire on the Spurs if it goes any further.

Last edited by WILLTHETHRILL; 08-16-10 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-16-10, 05:46 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

It is that simple.

Tim Duncan leads this team. Parker is noone without Duncan, period, conversation over. How many rings has Parker lead us to? None. He leads nothing.

He'll be on a team that would make the playoffs without him this year.
Old 08-16-10, 07:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Tim Duncan leads this team. Parker is noone without Duncan, period, conversation over. How many rings has Parker lead us to? None. He leads nothing.

He'll be on a team that would make the playoffs without him this year.
You are completely correct. If the question were being asked right now, Tony hasn't LEAD us to much. He did Lead us to a championship series win over Cleavland, but that just showed potential. Leading in one series and leading all year and throughout the playoffs is another thing.

I just think that he has the talent to takeover leadership of this team from Tim Duncan this year. He should be a better player than Duncan this year because he is in his prime, and Duncan is definitely not.

What I would like to see is for Pop and Duncan to give the team to Tony. Tony would be the centerpiece on this team, similar to Robinson giving the team to Duncan. If the team took this approach, I think Tony could be an MVP. . . . maybe.

I would like to see him given the chance to have the offense focused around him. Then we can judge if he is a max player.

Of course we would still give the ball to Ginobili at the end of every quarter!
Old 08-16-10, 08:11 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
You stated before on here 5 years 75 million without your conditional championship considerations. I say keep him BUT not give him max money. He declares wanting max or wants to go to NY so be it. I just hope if they do move him they get value now and not do a sh*tty sign and trade were the Spurs get crummy bottom of the barrell first rounders and super high numbered second rounders for him.(Bosh/James) I think the wait and see appraoch is going to backfire on the Spurs if it goes any further.
I thought about this more, and there are 2 sides to the coin

1. Tony Parker is a great player, but not quite a max player. We would do the 5 yr 75 mil thing here

2. Tony Parker is a future all star that can lead us to championships after Duncan retires. We do a max contract here.

Of those 2 options, I would chose the 2nd. If Tony steps up, and leads us to a championship we have a future. If Tony doesn't, we still need to find that guy. . . . and they are hard to find. Tony deserves 5 yrs, 75 mil based on past performance. I hope he earns a max for his performance this year.
Old 08-16-10, 08:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

1. Tony Parker is a great player, but not quite a max player. We would do the 5 yr 75 mil thing here

2. Tony Parker is a future all star that can lead us to championships after Duncan retires. We do a max contract here.

Of those 2 options, I would chose the 2nd. If Tony steps up, and leads us to a championship we have a future. If Tony doesn't, we still need to find that guy. . . . and they are hard to find. Tony deserves 5 yrs, 75 mil based on past performance. I hope he earns a max for his performance this year.
What do you mean by lead the Spurs to a championship? The only thing I can think of that will get the Spurs another championship is better performance; by someone(s), anyone.

If you think it might be Tony, then there are some facts to consider. Tony has played 9 years in the NBA now. Most players have reached their potential by then. They may still improve, but they rarely get substantially better. So he will be, in the future, pretty much as we see him now.

Parker is nowhere near a max player now, so I do not expect him to ever be one. And if you want the truth, he has been declining ever since the 2007 championship.

I have reluctantly gotten on the trade-Tony-now bandwagon (but not at any price) because I think there has developed in the NBA a disconnect between what he is valued at and what he actually produces. His reluctance to talk about an extension makes me think that Parker has also fallen into this error. Hence, the only way this can end is with Parker leaving, either soon by trade or later through free agency.
Old 08-16-10, 09:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

Maybe this is a three sided coin...

3. Tony is a darn good player that Spurs fans love and root for. That's why its hard for us to see him go when Knicks offer him max contract (and Eva coincidentally gets a gig on the View). But Spurs fans understand and back FO...well except for choppsboy.

Old 08-17-10, 11:22 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
You are completely correct. If the question were being asked right now, Tony hasn't LEAD us to much. He did Lead us to a championship series win over Cleavland, but that just showed potential. Leading in one series and leading all year and throughout the playoffs is another thing.

I just think that he has the talent to takeover leadership of this team from Tim Duncan this year. He should be a better player than Duncan this year because he is in his prime, and Duncan is definitely not.

What I would like to see is for Pop and Duncan to give the team to Tony. Tony would be the centerpiece on this team, similar to Robinson giving the team to Duncan. If the team took this approach, I think Tony could be an MVP. . . . maybe.

I would like to see him given the chance to have the offense focused around him. Then we can judge if he is a max player.

Of course we would still give the ball to Ginobili at the end of every quarter!

I couldnt disagree more.

A) The Spurs were going to sweep the Cavs, Parker happened to score the most so he got the nod- we werent losing that series PERIOD. In fact that Cavs team wasnt very good at all. If Parker didnt play a minute in that series we still would have swept them.

B) Why on earth would you hand the keys of your team over to a player who's saying he wants out? Logic says you develop his replacement. Marginalize his impact.
Old 08-17-10, 07:59 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills0 View Post
What do you mean by lead the Spurs to a championship? The only thing I can think of that will get the Spurs another championship is better performance; by someone(s), anyone.

If you think it might be Tony, then there are some facts to consider. Tony has played 9 years in the NBA now. Most players have reached their potential by then. They may still improve, but they rarely get substantially better. So he will be, in the future, pretty much as we see him now.

Parker is nowhere near a max player now, so I do not expect him to ever be one. And if you want the truth, he has been declining ever since the 2007 championship.

I have reluctantly gotten on the trade-Tony-now bandwagon (but not at any price) because I think there has developed in the NBA a disconnect between what he is valued at and what he actually produces. His reluctance to talk about an extension makes me think that Parker has also fallen into this error. Hence, the only way this can end is with Parker leaving, either soon by trade or later through free agency.
I agree with everything you are saying. . . it isn't likely that Tony will all of the sudden be a max player. However, If Tony doesn't play like a max player this year, we don't win a championship. If we are counting on Duncan to carry us this year, we will fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice13 View Post
Maybe this is a three sided coin...

3. Tony is a darn good player that Spurs fans love and root for. That's why its hard for us to see him go when Knicks offer him max contract (and Eva coincidentally gets a gig on the View). But Spurs fans understand and back FO...well except for choppsboy.
If Tony doesn't bring us a championship this year, I will be the 1st in line to not re-sign him.

Quote:
I couldnt disagree more.

A) The Spurs were going to sweep the Cavs, Parker happened to score the most so he got the nod- we werent losing that series PERIOD. In fact that Cavs team wasnt very good at all. If Parker didnt play a minute in that series we still would have swept them.

B) Why on earth would you hand the keys of your team over to a player who's saying he wants out? Logic says you develop his replacement. Marginalize his impact.
A) Yea, you are right. That is why I don't give him much credit for this.

B) Don't believe the media. . . Besides, Carmelo Anthony isn't even a member of the press. If, by some miracle, Tony Parker somehow plays like a hall-of-fame point guard next year, he would be happy to except a max contract from the Spurs.
Old 08-17-10, 08:58 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

If Tony doesn't bring us a championship this year, I will be the 1st in line to not re-sign him.

Well you may as well start the line now because Tony is not bringing us a championship this year. In fact no one player will. Tony , as great as he is, will never lead a team single-handedly to a championship.

Old 08-17-10, 10:24 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I've stated b/f that Tony should be paid no more than 12 mil/year. After the recent comments from his wife and some of his supposed incidents with fans around the city, I'd rather we move him pronto. All the Parker apologist look at Tony with a glass half full perspective. I personally think that if it wasn't for Tony Parker we probably would have won a title in 04 and in 06. The way he allows relatively unknown PG's make a name for themselves against him in the playoffs always frustrated me. Now I know why Pop was trying so hard to land Jason Kidd.
Old 08-18-10, 01:55 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice13 View Post
Well you may as well start the line now because Tony is not bringing us a championship this year. In fact no one player will. Tony , as great as he is, will never lead a team single-handedly to a championship.
I mean lead us to a championship like Duncan has, not that Duncan did it by himself. I don't think Duncan has the ability to lead the team to a championship anymore. I also don't believe that a team with a collection of very talented players, but without a leading star, will win a championship. Someone has to step up this year and lead the team as Duncan has over the past 10 years. I think the person most capable of doing that this year, and the next 3 or 4 years is Tony Parker.
Old 08-18-10, 02:58 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdrivera View Post
I've stated b/f that Tony should be paid no more than 12 mil/year. After the recent comments from his wife and some of his supposed incidents with fans around the city, I'd rather we move him pronto. All the Parker apologist look at Tony with a glass half full perspective. I personally think that if it wasn't for Tony Parker we probably would have won a title in 04 and in 06. The way he allows relatively unknown PG's make a name for themselves against him in the playoffs always frustrated me. Now I know why Pop was trying so hard to land Jason Kidd.
Wow...absolutely wrong. In 04, we wouldn't have been up 2-0 against LA without Tony. Tony for all his struggles, had a good fourth quarter (I think 7 points) in that epic game 5 that we were 0.4 seconds away from winning. In 06, Tony had one bad game against the Mavs and that was game 6 ...a game he happened to give us the lead with 2 minutes left on a big jumpshot. Then in game 7, while Manu had like 2 points in the first half, Tony and Tim kept us in the game by scoring 20 points each in the first half. We wouldn't have beaten the Lakers in 2003 without Tony, the Nets (games 1 and 3) without Tony, or the Suns of 07 without Tony. We probably would not have beaten the Pistons either in 05 (not that he had a very good series, but it woulda meant more defenders keying in on manu and Tim).
Lest we forget, in the biggest NBA game of the last decade, the Spurs handled the Pistons in the type of game that Detroit is supposedly built for. In deciding games between San Antonio and Detroit, the Spurs are 1-0, and the Pistons are 0-1.
Old 08-18-10, 03:24 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Parker needs to be resigned because he is a valuable player in every scenario, weather if he stays or goes.
The problem is this "MAX" issue, some Tony fans here and there say that Tony asks for the max or that he should be given that just because Manu was offered the max, and fail to see the reason why Manu was given the max, being that he is the most marketable player on the team, and the "max" money allowed by the CBA (Maxium Salary and Over 36 rule applyed) for Manu, wasn´t really a much bigger contract that what his market value was. (11, 12 and 13 millions doesnt seem a max deal).
I think Tony should be offered a similar contract to Manu´s but with more years, lets say a contract starting at 11 millions worth 6 years.
Old 08-18-10, 05:51 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Overall, I agree with Maurice13. But as mentioned in the other thread, Pop will probably have a sit down with him to discuss matters. I'm not certain that the issue has anything to do with max contracts. I doubt TP gets that kind of offer from any team although the offers could be respectable. The Spurs often accomodate players who want to leave when they want to leave if it is possible to do so. If Tony wants to stay in San Antonio, it shouldn't take a max contract to keep him here. Likewise, if he wants to go to New York. I doubt that the Spurs bother to make an offer if he wants to go to New York. I don't want to see him go if he still has game but I don't want to see him stay if his heart is somewhere else.