News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-10, 10:57 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Scola agrees to a 5 year 47 Million Contract with Rockets...

Wow....Congrats to him but I think that a lot......
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!

Last edited by ALSPURS; 07-15-10 at 11:32 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-15-10, 11:19 PM
SpursReport Rookie

With who?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-15-10, 11:30 PM

Rockets...
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 07-16-10, 01:29 AM
Administrator

ESPN NBA - Houston Chronicle: F Luis Scola (16.2 ppg, 8.2 rpg) agrees to 5-year, $47 million deal with Rockets
Old 07-16-10, 01:55 AM

did you hear that?

that was Mombear's heart breaking because he won't be a Spur anytime soon lol
Old 07-16-10, 02:01 AM
Administrator

Old 07-16-10, 08:07 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

well it's good to see that Manu's already been out to celebrate with him .

Old 07-16-10, 08:13 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I like the Toilette sign in that picture!!

Good for Scola, not that I have any real reason to like the guy, he just seems likable, someone you'd want to root for in life. So good for him. I think the Rockets overspent, maybe not per year, but something tells me that in 3 years this contract may be hurting them.
Old 07-16-10, 08:19 AM
SpursReport Team Member

It could be the camera's perspective, but Scola does not appear much taller than Manu.
Old 07-16-10, 09:06 AM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
did you hear that?

U r mean
[email protected]
Old 07-16-10, 09:55 AM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
did you hear that?

pinche Pop.

at least we still get to see him 4 times a year as opposed to only 2.

Old 07-16-10, 11:35 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

You have to wonder-- if we had signed him three years ago, would we be willing to pony up that kind of money to keep him? I doubt it.
Old 07-16-10, 11:39 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
You have to wonder-- if we had signed him three years ago, would we be willing to pony up that kind of money to keep him? I doubt it.
Probably would have meant deciding between Manu and him this year.
Old 07-16-10, 01:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Looks like the overspending continues this offseason but you are worth whatever is willing to give you.
Old 07-16-10, 05:17 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgospurs View Post
well it's good to see that Manu's already been out to celebrate with him .

Shaving. A lost art in Argentina.

Must help during the World Cup.

D'oh!
Old 07-16-10, 05:39 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Old 07-16-10, 11:08 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by polk View Post
Looks like the overspending continues this offseason but you are worth whatever is willing to give you.
Yep there is over spending this summer but not on Scola. Worth every penny!
Old 07-16-10, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R View Post
by the looks of it, they ordered whatever RC orders lol
Old 07-16-10, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith3503 View Post
Probably would have meant deciding between Manu and him this year.
well, not necessarily. with this roster (let's say he replaces Bonner of course), Mason's contract off the books and what Bonner earning per year would have more or less equaled what he'd make? give also that Jefferson opting out would've helped.

the only difference is the Spurs would've been prompting Duncan to opt out after this season for a cheaper contract (and most likely some ownership after he retires). but i think we would've been able to keep everyone (i think of course being the main thing )
Old 07-17-10, 02:54 PM

Quote:
well, not necessarily. with this roster (let's say he replaces Bonner of course), Mason's contract off the books and what Bonner earning per year would have more or less equaled what he'd make? give also that Jefferson opting out would've helped.

the only difference is the Spurs would've been prompting Duncan to opt out after this season for a cheaper contract (and most likely some ownership after he retires). but i think we would've been able to keep everyone (i think of course being the main thing )
As much as you hate Bonner, he'd still probably be a Spur if Bonner was here. It would be interesting though, because I think the Spurs would still have needed to bring Scola over.

Blair being drafted would probably be most at risk if Scola were a Spur. Although, how do you pass up Blair in the 2nd round? Although it would setup the Spurs to have some nice tradable talent.

Splitter would probably still need to happen. RJ would definitely have to opt out, even if they had bird rights on Scola.

I'm curious if Manu gets the same deal in that case, because they have Scola around for possible leverage if that were the case....

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 07-18-10, 06:40 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think the casualty if we had Scola and then realised we had to overpay him this year would be Splitter.

I know he hasn't played yet but Splitter comes with the same hype but younger so already I am happier.
Old 07-19-10, 05:01 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kager View Post
I think the casualty if we had Scola and then realised we had to overpay him this year would be Splitter.

I know he hasn't played yet but Splitter comes with the same hype but younger so already I am happier.
Kind of a stretch to predict this year's offseason based on a 3 year prodiction.

I think Scola would have been history, with the Spurs having NO intention of signing him for $9+M. $7M would probably have been the upper limit for matching. Then again, with Scola not actually getting a contract offer from ANYONE...

edit: Anyone else but the Rockets. Should have put ANYONE ELSE in the NBA...
Old 07-19-10, 06:37 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Its not a stretch to say Scola's contract is up this year when we have our last chance to bring over Splitter, so it probably would have been one or the other.

Splitter was already drafted when we chose to send him to Rockets rather than pick up his contract, so now if the Spurs come into Scola's pay me the money year they either face the wrath of fans (people here were crying for him when he hadn't even played here imagine if he had put up the numbers he has in Houston)or pay him similar to what Rockets have.

So then if we have a euro centre on big money then its pretty obvious that the other euro centre would be the casualty.

BTW I like making bald prodictions it keeps me alive
Old 07-19-10, 07:52 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Scola=PF (joined the Rockets in 2007 aged 27; drafted 2002, aged 22...could've joined the Spurs since then)
Splitter=C (joining the Spurs at 25)
Just my 2 cents
[email protected]
Old 07-23-10, 02:09 AM
SpursReport Team Member

quite frankly im surprised he didn't get more. the nets should have tried harder, there is no over paying to get a player like scola. He would have been great next to Lopez.
Old 07-23-10, 03:42 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox86182 View Post
quite frankly im surprised he didn't get more. the nets should have tried harder, there is no over paying to get a player like scola. He would have been great next to Lopez.
Rumor in HOU is that NJN were preparing a 5yr/$55M offer sheet. HOU jumped in with their offer. Scola wasn't fond of leaving, so the $47M made him happy.

There is over-paying to get a player like Scola. 5yr/$47M is above the line. But he can't be replaced with the MLE, so you do what you have to do. You over-pay.