LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-04, 04:59 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Rose will be available to Charlotte in expansion draft

Rose will be available to Charlotte in expansion draft
Web Posted: 06/09/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

Malik Rose hasn't seen the list of players the Spurs plan to protect in this month's expansion draft for Charlotte, but he knows one name that won't be on it.

His own.

"It's like a mathematics problem," Rose said. "They have to leave a certain number of players off to protect a certain amount of players. ... They have to protect the guys they think are going to help them the most. And I'm not going to be on that list."

Teams have until the end of the week to submit up to eight players they wish to protect in the draft, which will be held either June 22 or 23. Charlotte can select no more than one player from each of the other 29 teams, but must choose at least 14 total players.

The Spurs plan to protect Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Rasho Nesterovic, Devin Brown and restricted free agents Manu Ginobili and Hedo Turkoglu. Bruce Bowen also is expected to be protected unless he notifies the Spurs by Thursday — the day the team's list is mailed to the league — he is not exercising his $4 million option for next season. Bowen can officially take until the end of the month to decide whether to become a free agent.

Alex Garcia, who, like Matt Carroll, has a non-guaranteed contract for next season, remains a candidate to be protected. The Spurs do not plan to pick up Robert Horry's $5 million option for next season, but can choose to protect him, if only for flexibility. Charlie Ward has yet to tell the Spurs whether he will exercise his $1.1 million option for next season, but he figures to be exposed in the draft, regardless.

Unsigned draft picks and unrestricted free agents are ineligible for the expansion draft, so Luis Scola, the Argentine power forward selected by the Spurs in the second round two years ago, does not have to be protected.

Rose was not surprised when Spurs coach Gregg Popovich told him in his exit interview at the end of the season that he would be exposed in the expansion draft. The team, which would like to rid itself of the remaining five seasons and $32.8 million on Rose's contract, was minutes away from trading him in February to New York for Kurt Thomas.

Rose, who has clashed with Popovich during parts of the previous few years, was out of the team's regular rotation for much of the past season. He totaled only 27 minutes during the Spurs' loss to the Los Angeles Lakers in the Western Conference semifinals though Horry struggled for much of the six-game series.

"That was one of the greatest moments in my life," Rose said of the seven-year, $42 million contract he signed less than two years ago, "and it's turned out to be a huge thorn in my side for certain reasons."

It also could help keep him from being selected in the expansion draft. Charlotte officials have repeatedly said they do not want to take veteran players who have contracts that would compromise the franchise's future salary-cap room. If Charlotte does draft Rose, it likely will be to re-route him to another team.

Teams also are allowed to make deals with Charlotte to select (or not select) unprotected players.

"Everybody knows I want to be here," Rose said Tuesday while signing autographs for patients at Christus Santa Rosa Children's Hospital, "so we'll see what happens.

"The bottom line is no matter how much Pop and I have disagreed, we both want to win. If he does get rid of me, it's because he's trying to win and he thinks there's someone else who can help him more."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...149df8b43.html
Old 06-09-04, 05:00 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

we had to do it but i feel bad for him
Old 06-09-04, 05:39 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

He almost seems cavalier about his "disagreements" with Pop. Play inside idiot!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-09-04, 07:54 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I'd rather see Rasho go.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-09-04, 08:49 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Rasho´s not going anywhere. The Spurs need him much more then Rose. Rose isn´t 7-0.

As much as I liked Rose throughout his career with the Spurs, I think it´s best for both parties to seperate. Rose derserves more minutes and he can help most of the teams in this league. I don´t think he´s useless to the Spurs, but his contract is too much to handle and I think that´s the main reason he´s leaving this summer and of course his regular run ins with Coach Pop.
Old 06-09-04, 08:54 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Old news around here.
Old 06-09-04, 08:55 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

So why the hell did we give him that big fat contract?

I understand he needed to be rewarded, but if the team knew his attitude and a big contract would become an issue....why didn't they trade him?

I would love to have Kurt Thomas.
Old 06-09-04, 08:57 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc5010
I'd rather see Rasho go.
sorry guys....Its probly mathmaticly crazy but id love to have that bum Rasho go than Rose...Well I know the Spurs arnt goin get rid of Rasho so I guess this is it for Rose.I really liked Rose,Nice guy...I met him while he was taking his Ferrari for a spin...
Old 06-09-04, 09:08 AM
SpursReport Team Member

The dislike inside this forum for Rasho is unbelievable. I think that the people who post here don´t understand what his role is on the Spurs team. He´s not the new Robinson or a furture star. He´s a role player that needs to rebound and play good defense. That´s exectly what he´s done. I hope no one was thinking that he could average 20 and 10.

And guys take a good look at the centers in this league. I for sure can´t fine a better suited center for the Spurs then Rasho. Take away Shaq, Yao, Ilgauskas, and possibly Brad Miller and the rest is just average. Besides those three guys I would take Rasho as our starting center. I´m not taking Ben Wallace as a center because he´s really a power forward that needs to play center for his team.

Get used to seeing him in the Spurs uniform because he´s not going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 06-09-04, 09:16 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo2115
The dislike inside this forum for Rasho is unbelievable. I think that the people who post here don´t understand what his role is on the Spurs team. He´s not the new Robinson or a furture star. He´s a role player that needs to rebound and play good defense. That´s exectly what he´s done. I hope no one was thinking that he could average 20 and 10.

And guys take a good look at the centers in this league. I for sure can´t fine a better suited center for the Spurs then Rasho. Take away Shaq, Yao, Ilgauskas, and possibly Brad Miller and the rest is just average. Besides those three guys I would take Rasho as our starting center. I´m not taking Ben Wallace as a center because he´s really a power forward that needs to play center for his team.

Get used to seeing him in the Spurs uniform because he´s not going anywhere anytime soon.
Rasho Hes just a cap eater...
Old 06-09-04, 09:23 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Who do you then want? Willis as the starter with his vet min salary?
Old 06-09-04, 09:31 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

"That was one of the greatest moments in my life," Rose said of the seven-year, $42 million contract he signed less than two years ago, "and it's turned out to be a huge thorn in my side for certain reasons."

How many of us wouldn't mind a $42M thorn?

And how did this turn into another bash Rasho thread, even without Vito (J/K)
Old 06-09-04, 09:35 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

DoMalik Wilkins is going nowhere.

The team, which would like to rid itself of the remaining five seasons and $32.8 million on Rose's contract
Old 06-09-04, 10:13 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Malik is integral.

A big part of the Spurs losing to the Lakers was Malik not being aloud to play through troubles, like certain other players. Sad, really.

I would hate to see my favourite Spur go, but he deserves better treatment, playing time etc. I would love for him to stay, because he is a Top 3 Backup Bigman in the League, but he will never be unless Malik turns out be Turkish and change his name to Hedo Turkoglu, then maybe he'll get a shot.
Old 06-09-04, 11:10 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Can we expose Pop to the draft?
Old 06-09-04, 11:23 AM
SpursReport Rookie

poor malik, if the spurs spend so much cap on him, they should use him more...id choose malik over horry anyday.
i miss his energy off the bench
and when pop actually played him, he was effective.
Old 06-09-04, 01:11 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Poor Rasho, but he didn't get it done, and he looked bad not getting it done. I like the guy and I loved how he played some great defense throughout the year, but that last series, ouch, but it was his first year here and hopefully Pop will scream at him like he did Parker and get him to play better. I don't understand Pop how he can be so impatient with a 19 yr old rookie but so patient with a 27 year old 5 year vet guy who is still playing the same way he has been for the last 5. Go figure.
Old 06-09-04, 01:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Maybe he should come clean and admit that he has yet to play to the level of that contract.
Old 06-09-04, 02:04 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Maybe he should come clean and admit that he has yet to play to the level of that contract.
But that's his problem, they overpaid a great role player and now he's tyring to be a go to guy.

I think there are a lot of teams that Rose can help out, including the spurs but I guess Pop just has given up on him. Sometimes Pop can be a Mule, he can keep giving minutes to Turk the whole playoffs and starting him, when he shriveled up and choked big time, he can give Horry minutes in the Laker series even though he looked like he didn't want to play.

But a big reason the spurs won the championship last year was because of Malik, and pop didn't give him a chance, a chance he deserved much more the Turkey Choke, or Horry(who still had his Laker underwear on under his spurs gear)

Dallas should make a run at him, he could really give them some of what they need.
Old 06-09-04, 02:57 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Charlotte could pick him outright, you know. Why not? He's probably one of the most reasonable players that will be exposed, they have to pick somebody. He won't break anybody's bank, he's got valuable experience in the league, plays hard and fires up the home crowd...see, you can make an argument that he'd be a good player for them to get.
Old 06-09-04, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickowskay
Charlotte could pick him outright, you know. Why not? He's probably one of the most reasonable players that will be exposed, they have to pick somebody. He won't break anybody's bank, he's got valuable experience in the league, plays hard and fires up the home crowd...see, you can make an argument that he'd be a good player for them to get.
That isnt a bad point. Every team is exposing their worst players, whether in reference to skill or salary. Maybe they will take Rose. Its certainly more likely than our signing Kobe or T-Mac.
Old 06-09-04, 03:38 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I mentioned this a couple of days ago when people were posting articles about who other teams might leave unprotected. Charlotte does have to chose a certain number of players, and Rose could be one of the "least bad choices" they could make.

I am, though, still amazed at how this thread has now turned into Rasho AND Hedo bashing when it is about Rose being left unprotected. Everyone has known since he didn't get traded that Malik would be left unprotected. I'm with whoever said that maybe Malik needs to admit his own fault in not doing what the team had wanted and needed of him.
Old 06-09-04, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotefan
I'm with whoever said that maybe Malik needs to admit his own fault in not doing what the team had wanted and needed of him.
Apparently its Pop's fault for not letting Malik run the team as he sees fit.
Old 06-09-04, 04:00 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

also realize the man doing the drafting is the same man that drafted fredrick weiz... so anything is possible.
Old 06-09-04, 04:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I live here in NC and from what I'm hearing Malik is starting to become attractive to the bobcats. They want some quality bigmen at the PF/C which makes Malik real attractive to them since he is a guy who can get solid numbers if he started.
Old 06-09-04, 04:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

So what exactly can we get by trading Malik? What will we do with that extra cap space? Pay Manu and Parker fatter salaries or will we stop trying to get 'value deals' and actually pay a reasonable player some good money to come here?
Old 06-09-04, 04:27 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSlicer
I live here in NC and from what I'm hearing Malik is starting to become attractive to the bobcats. They want some quality bigmen at the PF/C which makes Malik real attractive to them since he is a guy who can get solid numbers if he started.
malik could be at least an 18/8 guy in the Eastern conference with starter's minutes.
Old 06-09-04, 05:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Notorious MI21
Malik is integral.

A big part of the Spurs losing to the Lakers was Malik not being aloud to play through troubles, like certain other players. Sad, really.

I would hate to see my favourite Spur go, but he deserves better treatment, playing time etc. I would love for him to stay, because he is a Top 3 Backup Bigman in the League, but he will never be unless Malik turns out be Turkish and change his name to Hedo Turkoglu, then maybe he'll get a shot.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDoc
malik could be at least an 18/8 guy in the Eastern conference with starter's minutes.
I really believe that Malik is a double double guy starting in the East.
Old 06-09-04, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later
At the time, that was market value..........

And Malik is represented by Babby, who also represents Duncan. Play good with Babby and you have a sure chance of keeping Duncan.

Why else would you go after Kidd when you already have a productive, young point guard?

And Malik, with Kurt's minutes in the east, would put up atleast the same. Look at his numbers as a starter when Duncan was out.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 06-09-04, 06:47 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I have a feeling Rose might get drafted after all. Who then can we use at backup PF? Horry isn't getting any younger.

I guess Pop still has faith in Hedo to protect him.
Old 06-09-04, 07:14 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Wow I had no idea rasho had such a fan club besides me.

I don't hate Rasho but he is not good enough to start on a championship caliber team. Thats one of the reasons why we are no longer the champions.
Old 06-09-04, 07:15 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I have a feeling Scola will be Rose's replacement but at the sametime I'm not excited about seeing Rose get drafted. I really do believe that we are going to miss his heart and hustle that he provides. This is a crappy way to depart considering that Pop showed no faith in Rose but went with guys who he never won with this year.
Old 06-09-04, 07:40 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:

I understand he needed to be rewarded, but if the team knew his attitude and a big contract would become an issue....why didn't they trade him?

I would love to have Kurt Thomas.
The Spurs had Malik traded for Kurt Thomas this past season and NY backed out of the deal at the last moment

Quote:
Can we expose Pop to the draft?
please tell me your not serious

Quote:
I don't hate Rasho but he is not good enough to start on a championship caliber team
BS. Rasho played had an OK first year in SA and with the lack of 7 footers in the league is worthy of being a starter in this league. Hell..would be starting with Minn if they had got what they wanted in having him return

Players like Osterfat and Theo Ratliff have no business starting on a contender
Old 06-09-04, 07:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

You know Okur is asking anywhere from 6-8.5 million to start his deal, how about we do a sign and trade and get him. That would be just perfect. Rasho isn't going anywhere and I am glad, he fits with our team. He is low key and when Duncan went out who stepped up big, Rasho. Just let him get used to our system, same with Turk, I expect big things from those two next year. For our backup PF/C I would maybe want to get Mihm from Boston. And for our PG I have no idea.

But Malik will do very well if he goes East and right now about the only big men that can play better or on par with Malik (when he gets minutes) are the Wallace Bros, Kurt Thomas, Lafrentz, Jermaine O'neal, and maybe Bosh. Malik has a great chance to suceed if he leaves.
Old 06-09-04, 08:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

No thanks. I'd rather have Malik than Okur...
Old 06-09-04, 08:09 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

I think if the Bobcats pass up on him...which would be understandable because of his contract...

I hope the Spurs could perhaps move up draft wise with him as trade bait? The guy was good, he hustles, and steps up to any opponents. I think a breath of fresh air is whats needed in this situation...

Rasho, I'm not crazy about or mind if he's gone, but what can we get from trading him? He's a bargain, and hopefully will get better in our system...

Hedo...well he's hedo, and I would prefer he and Manu switched spots...
Old 06-09-04, 08:21 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
BS. Rasho played had an OK first year in SA and with the lack of 7 footers in the league is worthy of being a starter in this league. Hell..would be starting with Minn if they had got what they wanted in having him return

Players like Osterfat and Theo Ratliff have no business starting on a contender
Minnesota got bounced out of the 1st round how many times?
Besides he was a more productive player in Minnesota than here in San Antonio. Will Perdue was a better starting center than Rasho was and That got us no where.
Old 06-09-04, 09:10 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Our Center position would have been ok even with Rasho if we had MORE centers to throw at the WESTERN Conf. (stay with me) After rasho there was NOBODY on the bench. Willis? for five minutes maybe. Our lineup is unbalanced with too many perimeter players (that cant shoot) and small big forwards....malik,horry, THATS IT!

We need a GOON SQUAD 4 big lumbering barroom bouncers with scary tatoos on their arms and sharp elbows, NOT 1 anemic 7 foot flatfooted wannabe shooter who gets pushed around and has to sit with an IV stuck in his arm so he can come back in the second half.
Old 06-09-04, 09:25 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I think that there is several good points;

1. malik has always played well agianst shaq..so why did he not play?
2. if a player isn't performing should we bench him..and in that case horry as well as malik?
3. why did pop bench him the first place, and is pop playing favorites to the detriment of the team?
Old 06-09-04, 10:12 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Corleone
Minnesota got bounced out of the 1st round how many times?
Besides he was a more productive player in Minnesota than here in San Antonio. Will Perdue was a better starting center than Rasho was and That got us no where.
First, I think most people would agree that Minnesota got past the first round this year because of the addition of Cassell and Sprewell, not the subtraction of Rasho. The Wolves would have gladly had Rasho back to play against the Lakers instead of their commitee of 4.

Secondly, you must only like to look at certain statistics. I would say that an increase in blocks from 116 to 165 (42% more), an increase in offensive rebounds from 146 to 257 (75% more), an increase in steals, and fewer personal fouls are all improvements. His FG% went down but was still higher than his third year in Minnesota and is understandable when you realize it was his first year in a new system. And sad to say, but he still had the second highest FG % on the Spurs this season, second only to Tim, and when you realize the number of mid-range jump shots he took for a center, the numbers aren't bad.
Old 06-10-04, 06:47 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Malik has the same agent/attorney as Tim and Malik's contract came up a year earlier so I think it was an attempt to show Tim that the Spurs really wanted him to stay. After all, all they could pay him was the maximum and Tim was and is worth more than that. So why not overpay his buddy. Particularly with his limited playing time this year and his turnover prone hands of stone, I hope Malik has Tim on a hefty allowance.
Old 06-10-04, 07:10 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Hedo and Rasho popped up in this thread because they got to keep playing when they were sucking, and Malik didn't.

I dont know why, Hedo and Rasho had proven nothing in this league, while Malik is a proven Top Backup Bigman on a championship team.
Old 06-10-04, 07:38 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehaviorDisorder
Our Center position would have been ok even with Rasho if we had MORE centers to throw at the WESTERN Conf. (stay with me) After rasho there was NOBODY on the bench. Willis? for five minutes maybe. Our lineup is unbalanced with too many perimeter players (that cant shoot) and small big forwards....malik,horry, THATS IT!

We need a GOON SQUAD 4 big lumbering barroom bouncers with scary tatoos on their arms and sharp elbows, NOT 1 anemic 7 foot flatfooted wannabe shooter who gets pushed around and has to sit with an IV stuck in his arm so he can come back in the second half.
maybe not 4, but we need to get Rasho some backup.