News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-04, 02:09 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Complete Detroit Pistons Post-Game 2 Quotes

LARRY BROWN

Q: In the final sequence in the fourth quarter, did you instruct your players to foul Shaq if he caught the ball?

Brown: You mean the one Kobe made, the 3?

Q: Yes.

Brown: (Laughter) Yeah, we talked about it, but I didn't think they were going to throw it to him. We talked about switching everything because they needed a 3, we switched out and kind of backed off. Kobe made a great shot.

You know, Shaq's offensive rebound, I thought the possession before that, three-point play was the biggest one. It's hard to foul a guy before he shoots an offensive rebound, but Kobe made a great shot. We defended it, we switched. A great player made a great shot. We didn't handle the clock great. I thought we might have shot a little quick and took kind of a half-ass shot, but that was critical.

But give them credit. They made huge plays and got in overtime and we just kind of lost our poise.

Q: Kobe put the ball on the floor twice before he took the shot and he gave every chance in the world to have that foul.

Brown: We don't foul in a situation like that. He's going to go up and shoot it anyway. We were off, we switched. Usually when we switch, we try to take something away, but, you know, that wasn't the situation we talked about. We just wanted to switch out and get a hand up and be aggressive. Our switch was there, but we just kind of backed off a little bit and he made a great shot.

Q: Rip and Chauncey both had big scoring nights, can you comment on their overall play on the backcourt.

Brown: You know, they made shots. I didn't think Rip had one of his better nights in shot selection. But, you know, he had to shoot the ball for us and Chauncey kept us in the game with some big shots when we had to make our rally and Rasheed got us back in the game, and we kind of forgot about going inside and that's all we talked about.

But I don't think, we've got to get a situation where the ball is a little bit more evenly distributed, in my mind, especially late in the game when we are in the bonus. We were in the bonus in the fourth quarter pretty early and we kept talking about, let's try to get the ball inside and flatten our defense out a little bit and we kind of settled. I thought we shot a little too quickly on the last possession before Kobe's 3. We almost acted like we were trying to get fouled instead of just going up and shoot it.

But, hey, those guys, we got down 12 and those guys got us back in the game. I admire the way they tried. Rip, you know, took a real bad hit in Game 1 and he's been dizzy for two days. So I thought he gave a remarkable effort under the circumstances.

Q: Rasheed picked up two quick fouls again and didn't play the second quarter, can you talk about his performance and what you need to do to keep him on the court a little bit more.

Brown: You know, the way that game was being called -- I don't like fouls. You know, the kid got to the line one time. You know, we threw it inside to him, he gets to the line one time and he's out of the game early in every game. I don't know what the answer is. (Shrugging shoulders).

Am I allowed to complain? (Laughter) You know, I don't understand. We threw it in to him about six straight times underneath the goal and he went from two feet to 12 without a dribble. It's hard.

But again, you know, we were in such foul trouble with our big guys in the first half, I was just trying it figure out a way I could have some people able to go in the second half. I think, you know, they were able to go and got us back in the game and the bottom line is, give them credit. They made huge plays.

Unfortunately we didn't.

Q: What's the mindset right now in the locker room? You were always trying to tell them positive things, to your players, what did you tell them and how did you sense losing that way?

Brown: You know, we're crushed. I mean, shoot, that was -- we had a winnable game. And everybody's in that locker room down. But, you know, we lost triple overtime to New Jersey, had to go up there and win 6 and 7. We talk about that. You know, we've just got to bounce back. We came here, should have won two games, you know, gave ourselves a hell of a chance. I was so proud, you know, we were out of the game, came back in the game and got control.

But we've lost a lot of games like this this year. We forget time and score. Hopefully you learn from these things. But we are 1-1. They were well prepared. Their defense was great. Luke Walton I think was phenomenal tonight. He came in and gave them a huge lift. And they did some really neat things as a team and got a win out of this.

So, give them their due. Are you allowed to give people due in this thing? Are you allowed to tell a team that they won a game?

So, they won the game.

Q: You've been asked about fouling, but that shot that Kobe made, are you content to live or die if he can make that shot?

Brown: Again, he's so athletic, he's going to go up and shoot it anyway. I can just think about a four-point play, just fouling him and put him on the line for three. I thought about it. We talked about if they threw it inside, yeah, Shaq gets it, put him on the line. But I don't want to take a chance like that. We switched. We were right there. You know, we just -- you know, I always say if you're going to switch, take something away. We just switched and kind of backed off, and he made a great shot. You know, the guy was 0 for 4 from 3 going in there, I think, right? That's why he's so special. After what that kid's been through all this year, more power to him, because he's a great, great young man and the way he conducts himself on the court and the way he plays this game makes me feel kind of good I'm part of it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAUNCEY BILLUPS and RICHARD HAMILTON

Q: The shot Kobe hit, did it take a lot out of the team, and especially going into the overtime?

Billups: It was a huge shot. It was a big shot. He's been known to do things like that, make big shots. You know, we could have played that a little differently, which we talked about, but we didn't. This is the NBA. That's how the ball bounces sometimes.

But we go into overtime, and, you know, we just couldn't really find -- we couldn't keep going. We couldn't continue to hit shots. We ran a couple of the same plays and just couldn't get what we wanted out of it. They started to execute better and they stayed aggressive. I thought they took the momentum into overtime and we just could never get going.

Q: Rip, on the shot by Kobe, did you feel like you were guarding about as well as you could in you looked like you were right up on him there.

Hamilton: Yeah, I think I could have been a little bit closer, but he's so good with the ball, you know, herky-jerky, you know what I mean. I just try to press up on him. I had a hand up and he just knocked down a tough shot.

Q: Do you think it changed the flow of the game when Campbell got his third foul in the first half?

Billups: That was big. That was big, because we were really dependent on Elden in this series. He's a tough cover for those guys because he's can pick and pop. He's a very good shooter up to 16 feet and we use him in the game -- he's the biggest body that we have to lean on Shaq. So for him to get his third foul and Sheed already had two, that was big. But with all of that, with all of that, we didn't play very good the first half and most of the second half, we got back into the game. We never gave up. We got back into the game, but, yeah, we definitely could have used a lot more had he not gotten the quick fouls.

Q: Rip, when Kobe was dribbling the ball, that's a time that the foul could have been done immediately, and that's just a two-shot foul? And Chauncey, the last shot at the end, right before that play, could have been better, could have gone farther, deeper in.

Billups: Well, on my shot, you know, I got it down, Fish kind of flopped a little bit, knocked me off balance. So when I was out of bounds I had to pick the ball up and that was a couple of seconds on the shot clock, I had to let it go.

Q: Did you feel a foul?

Billups: Not really. It was a flop but it wasn't enough to really call a foul. I usually make shots like that. I have the strength to take those hits and still be balanced and square up to the rim. It just didn't go.

But, you know, I don't think that lost us the game, though.

Q: Rip, what about when he was dribbling the ball?

Hamilton: That was never a question that we was going to foul. We was going to try to play everybody straight up, switch on pick-and-rolls and things like that. It was never a question of whether we were going to foul or not.

Q: Can you just talk about the advantage that you guys feel you have in the backcourt in terms of both of you had big scoring nights tonight.

Billups: Well, you know, we just try to make their big guys play on pin-downs with Rip, and with me, use them on pick-and-rolls. You know, me and Rip both have the ability to knock down shots and hit the jumpshot, so it puts pressure and makes it tougher on those guys to guard us. I think Sheed really came in for us tonight and made sure we explored that a lot more in that fourth quarter, but we, we had some situations and some different match-ups that we would like to go to. It's just a matter of what time, when to use it and when not to.

Q: Guys, after all of the hoopla, the series is tied 1-1, you guys go home for three, how confident are you guys going back home?

Hamilton: We're still a confident team. It's tough to lose the way we lost tonight. We got one. We wish that we could have got two, but now it's time to go to our home court. We're going to take total advantage of that and play in front of our fans which we think are the best fans in the world and just come out and play.

Q: While you were standing right outside, Kobe made mention to the shot he hit to beat your team in high school, could you comment on that briefly and on your gamesmanship with him in this series.

Hamilton: I don't remember. Like I said, he hit a tough shot. Me and Kobe have been going at it for a long, long time. That wasn't the first big shot he made, you know, but he made it. It's tough to take it. It's tough when you have the lead going, especially late in the fourth. When he makes a big shot like that, you've got to give him credit, he makes big shots and he made one.

Q: How do you come away from these two games? Do you feel like the Lakers had to kind of scramble just to get a split or do you feel as though your chance to really seize control of this series slipped away?

Billups: Oh, no. I definitely don't think our chance to grab hold of this slipped away. We had them on the ropes. There's no ifs, ands or buts. We had them on the ropes and they got out. They won this game, but I think we outplayed that team for three quarters, three quarters out of every game, we have outplayed their team. So I think we've got their -- we woke them up a little bit and they know this is going to be a dogfight. This is going to be a dogfight. We have to expect what they did. First game they said it was a fluke and whatnot. Today we came in and we didn't play as good, but we hung in there. We stayed within striking distance and kind of turned the game around and we had it. We had it to where we needed it. They made some big plays, made some big plays down the stretch.

But this is going to be a good, long series, man, and we're gearing up for that. I'm sure that they know that. We're here, man, we're going to try to win, too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAYSHAUN PRINCE

Q: What was stressed during that last timeout?

Prince: We knew there was some way they were going to try and get Kobe the ball, whether it be off a pick and roll from Shaq or something. We wanted to be aggressive, but with that much time left you have to switch because you don’t want to get caught up in a screen so that was he key.

Q: You guys were a shot away from going home up 2-0, now you go home and its 1-1, talk about that?

Prince: Obviously, it’s devastating for a situation like this to happen. One of the greatest winning players in the game made a shot that he does on a regular basis, so we can’t hold our heads down about this one even though we should have won the basketball game. We gotta go back home and face a tough Laker steam that plays just as hard on the road as they do at home.

BEN WALLACE

Q: Did you discuss fouling Shaq?

Wallace: There was some talk about fouling Shaq. We are going to live and die off that shot any day. We aren’t going to blame the game on that, that’s a cop out.

Q: What happened defensively the last minute when you guys are up six?

Wallace: We have to be a little more focused down the stretch. We talked about playing the screen a little differently, but it just didn’t happen. Everybody has to be on the same page when it comes down to a situation like that.

Q: How hard will it be to bounce back?

Wallace: Not hard at all. The way we played the first half and to have an effort like we did in the second half, it isn’t hard to bounce back. We just need to put together a complete game like we did in the first game.

Q: Do you take confidence in the fact that you got a split leaving L.A.?

Wallace: I guess we have to live with it. We can’t change it unless you’re going to put a couple more minutes back on the clock and let us play again. We have to live with it. It’ll be all right.

RASHEED WALLACE

Q: What do you have to do to stay out of foul trouble and stay on the court more?

Wallace: I’m just out there playing, man. I could care less how they call it, what they call and all that. We’ve still got to go out there and play.

Q: Do you think you gave this game away?

Wallace: No, because we played hard. I mean, Kobe hit a good shot and we played hard. So, we didn’t give it away.

Q: How will you guys respond?

Wallace: How do you think we’re going to respond?

Q: Will you take some positives out of the game?

Wallace: How do you think we’ll respond? Do you we’re just going to lay down? There you go. Of course we’re going to go – we’re at home – we’re going to play hard.

Q: You seemed to play well defensively the entire game, but they made some big plays down the stretch. Was that just them making good plays?

Wallace: No, I mean, they made a couple plays – can’t take that from them. They did their thing tonight. We’ve just got to go back to Detroit and do ours.

Q: Was there talk about fouling Kobe Bryant before the three-point shot at the end of the fourth quarter?

Wallace: I mean, you know, just defense. He took a far out three. No need to foul him out there. And he just made it.

Q: What about when Shaquille O’Neal caught the ball?

Wallace: No, not really. I mean, if the ball would’ve been dumped down to him, yeah, we had one to give, so we would’ve fouled him. But Kobe took it in his hands and he took a shot.

Q: Is your mission accomplished overall by getting a victory on the road?

Wallace: No, mission ain’t accomplished. We’ve still got three more to get then it’s going to be accomplished.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-09-04, 02:21 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Trey couldn't you have just deleted my post instead of locking the entire thread? What's up with that?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-09-04, 04:43 AM
SpursReport Team Member

It's hard to foul a guy before he shoots an offensive rebound,

so true larry so true

that call on shaq to give him a three point play was bogus and the game.
Old 06-09-04, 06:16 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Larry Brown= Class

Most impressed with his interview. So gracious in loss. That is why he is great.
I can see why Detroit came back again and again this year to beat tough foes.
He keeps them grounded and focused.
Old 06-09-04, 07:42 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurscenter
It's hard to foul a guy before he shoots an offensive rebound,

so true larry so true

that call on shaq to give him a three point play was bogus and the game.

So true! What about when I think Billups had the ball before Kobe Shot the 3 and was fouled and no call, which turned into a missed shot.
Old 06-09-04, 08:19 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Oh come on, Kobe took a shot that didn't get a call, and in replay they're literally shaking hands, that's how obvious it was.
Old 06-09-04, 10:26 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Reading a few of these, I can imagine Pistons winning this series. They didn't take this loss that bad. I thought they would be making an excuse after an excuse, but they look ready to go back home to hopefully finish off the Lakers.
Old 06-09-04, 11:15 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
Oh come on, Kobe took a shot that didn't get a call, and in replay they're literally shaking hands, that's how obvious it was.
You bring up a good point. Why didn't we see any replays when the Pistons were fouled but the refs didn't call it? Can anyone remember one instance where they replayed a questionable call/no call against the Pistons? I sure as hell can't.
Old 06-09-04, 12:43 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
If they are literally shaking hands then that's not a foul. The hand is considered part of the ball. It was an awesome no call. In any event that would have meant that contact was made after the shot was released, so it is a non-issue.

"They say that mercy is the mark of a great man ... guess I'm just a good man ... well I'm alright."
http://www.myspace.com/b_hath
Old 06-09-04, 07:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbond01
If they are literally shaking hands then that's not a foul. The hand is considered part of the ball. It was an awesome no call. In any event that would have meant that contact was made after the shot was released, so it is a non-issue.
Sorry, but this is total bull****.

It was an obvious foul.