News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-09-04, 12:30 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Price for Kobe

I don't know if this has already been discussed or if we are even allowed to talk about this yet, but I was golfing with a friend in SA this weekend, who said he would sign and trade Manu AND Parker to get Kobe. Does anyone else agree with this, I thought it was crazy until tonight......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-09-04, 12:31 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

i for one would do that in a heartbeat. kobe is that good. just my opinion.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-09-04, 12:36 AM

Kobe Bryant has the most complete game in the NBA.
Old 06-09-04, 12:36 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

I would do it. Kobe is a true legitimate superstar.
Old 06-09-04, 12:39 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I would get him in a heartbeat but my friend would rather give up shaq instead of Kobe. GO SPURS IN 2005
Old 06-09-04, 12:40 AM
SpursReport Rookie

But don't you retool the Lakers by doing this. Shaq, Manu, Parker....
Old 06-09-04, 12:46 AM
SpursReport Rookie

spurs won't go for it, i would say no, too
but after tonight, im thinkin it over
still his trial makes everything that much more complicated
i wouldn't take the chance still.
Old 06-09-04, 12:54 AM
SpursReport Rookie

After tonight and watching him through all of his career,I would have to say hell ya.He plays with so much hart and that why I respect his game.I dont have respect as a person for him...
I absolutly love Parker and gino and seeing them change to purple and gold will hurt,but my mouth waters for a duo of duncan and kobe...
Old 06-09-04, 12:58 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Kobe for anyone not Duncan

McGrady for anyone not Duncan

Iverson for anyone not Duncan

its a no brainer

Manu and Parker are 3 to 5 years away from being anything close to Kobe or McGrady and thats both Manu and Parker combined!

I know we love our spurs, but if you can get Kobe or McGrady for anyone but Duncan you get them at any price.

However, it probably wouldnt match in contracts, etc. Does L.A. have any money this off season? and if so how much?
Old 06-09-04, 01:38 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Kobe is arguably better than Jordan was at the same age.

I think you HAVE to make that trade if it was available.

Timmy and Kobe...plus some filler would win the next 3 - 6 champinships in a row....but without all the fighting that goes on in LA.

And unlike shaq...Tim doesnt get jealous when his teamates do well.
Old 06-09-04, 03:08 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

I'd do it.
Old 06-09-04, 03:21 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

FTL!

It won't happen.

But if by some miracle he did come to SA, I would step back and re-evaluate my loyalties for the Spurs. Yeah, the Spurs could win another 6 championships. The Spurs would become the most popular team in the world. The Spurs Franchise would suddenly become marketable.

I really don't want all of that. The two championships the Spurs have are so pure. I don't want to desecrate those titles by bringing in the ultimate egomaniac. I would rather make him cry.
Old 06-09-04, 03:25 AM
SR Starlette

^^^ My sentiments exactly.
Old 06-09-04, 03:28 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Spurs are a business first. They are going to do what it takes to win, so if its possible, they will grab Kobe.

Parker learned that well last summer, that the NBA is a business. And that might come back to haunt the Spurs if he doesn't sign an extension and free agency comes around.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 06-09-04, 03:30 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego
Spurs are a business first. They are going to do what it takes to win, so if its possible, they will grab Kobe.

Parker learned that well last summer, that the NBA is a business. And that might come back to haunt the Spurs if he doesn't sign an extension and free agency comes around.
I agree. But I don't want Kobe Bryant in silver and black. I want to win with our guys minus the wannabe euro-pimp.
Old 06-09-04, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer Min
I agree. But I don't want Kobe Bryant in silver and black. I want to win with our guys minus the wannbe euro-pimp.
The whole mindset in SA is completely different from LA's though. Different coach, different philosophies, different players.....

Duncan will still get his shots and that's what basically counts most of all because any other player is basically tradable.

Kobe's a gamer though. He likes the competition. And he'll bring the exciting plays that fans like(IE a reason Manu is liked so much).

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 06-09-04, 03:48 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego
The whole mindset in SA is completely different from LA's though. Different coach, different philosophies, different players.....

Duncan will still get his shots and that's what basically counts most of all because any other player is basically tradable.

Kobe's a gamer though. He likes the competition. And he'll bring the exciting plays that fans like(IE a reason Manu is liked so much).
As long as I live, I pray Kobe Bryant never becomes a Spur.
Old 06-09-04, 04:24 AM
SR Starlette

But he'll chaaange

Just like Kobe has ALWAYS been religious, it's just he's never spoken about it before his accusation. If you hate Kobe and everything he's done in LA (and Colorado cough) then you can't say you'd take him in SA. That's selling out. The Spurs have more integrity than that.

Last edited by Lucky®; 06-09-04 at 04:27 AM.
Old 06-09-04, 05:28 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

No way - If Kobe came here I would probably cheer for the Lakers. I don't care how good he is - he is a head case and not a team player.
Old 06-09-04, 08:18 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

While I would remain a Spurs fan, it just wouldn't be the same.

Kind of like this ridiculous exercise that the Lakers are going through this year. Let's put all the top players on one team and see what happens. How compelling.
Old 06-09-04, 03:57 PM

Quote:
in LA (and Colorado cough) then you can't say you'd take him in SA.
Many players cheat on their wives/girl friends. Not an uncommon thing in the NBA. Sad, and not right, but it does happen.

I recall reading recently that Parker cheated on Lolo and that's the reason they broke up.

Old 06-09-04, 04:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

BUTTTTTTTTT, if we traded parker and manu it would be shaq/parker/manu against Duncan/Kobe! LA would be just as dangerous!!
Old 06-09-04, 04:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I can't believe are constantly selling out to attain an enemy.

Where is the fun in that?

I love beating your biggest rival. But now people are selling out.

God I hope the Spurs don't sell out.
Old 06-09-04, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky®
But he'll chaaange
Isnt that what everyone said about Rashweed when he went to Detroit? As far as I can tell, his attitude and behavior has changed quite a bit. I dont see why the same thing couldnt happen to Kobe.
Old 06-09-04, 04:23 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prtytime
BUTTTTTTTTT, if we traded parker and manu it would be shaq/parker/manu against Duncan/Kobe! LA would be just as dangerous!!
Does Shaq+ Parker+ Manu > Duncan + Kobe?

I personally say no, what do you think?

Last edited by Alamo Girl; 06-09-04 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-09-04, 04:24 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo Girl

No as well.
Old 06-09-04, 04:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

If the front office would be unwilling to exchange parker and manu for someone like kobe, then maybe we should really be wondering the sanity of the guys cutting the decisions up there.
Old 06-09-04, 04:39 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:

Both would be good... but I think it would tip more in the favor of Tim/Kobe.
Old 06-09-04, 09:59 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

Of course! DUH! If you can put Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan on the same team, you do it at any cost. You can surround them with WNBA bench players, and they'd consistently win 60+ games and be perminant fixtures in the finals year after year.