News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 06-09-10, 06:26 PM
katyspursfan's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,660

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith3503 View Post
So Kate Longoria agrees that Parker is on the downside, but still would extend him a 6 year deal.... I guess you're just minding your community property so I cant fault you.

In my mind when you have a one trick pony whose one trick is his speed at getting to the rim-- and he loses that because he's tore up and has too many miles-- you don't give him a 6 year deal keeping him on the roster until he's 35.

Can't pass, can't shoot a 3-- whats he going to do at 35? He aint Steve Nash.
I don't think I've ever been a proponent of a 6 year extension. If I recall, the only length I've ever mentioned was Parker signing a 3-4 year extension, in order to hedge his bets with the upcoming CBA negotiations.

While we're at it, I didn't say he was on the downside of his career. I offered that the 2007 season may have been his peak. Seems I also mentioned the plausibility that the '10-'11 season may be a career year for Parker.

Of course, you are free to make up anything you want. This is the Internet, after all.

He ain't Steve Nash. Granted. Parker has an NBA Finals MVP trophy on his mantle. Nash, not so much.

Last edited by katyspursfan; 06-09-10 at 06:30 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 06-09-10, 07:08 PM
Jose_TheGenius's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,511

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
While we're at it, I didn't say he was on the downside of his career. I offered that the 2007 season may have been his peak. Seems I also mentioned the plausibility that the '10-'11 season may be a career year for Parker.
well, to be fair, can he still have a career year and be at his peak in 2011 after winning the Finals MVP in 2007? because if he was the reason we won the Finals because of dominance, then it's pretty hard to say we won the Finals because of him, the final match up before crowning a champion, and he couldn't even win us more than 1 game by himself in 2008.

if he were to have a career regular season, is it because of him or his cast? i know you think high of Parker, you keep mentioning his 2007 Finals MVP like he was unstoppable. we differ in opinions, of course (you say he was great, i say it was the match ups that helped him win it), but there's a lot more that you have to figure in to say "peak" when you throw arguments around:

1. was it actually him or was he blessed with a supporting cast that got more respect than he did? did they expect him to choke early on like he did in 2003 and 2005?
2. did he take advantage of a flaw in the other team that wasn't fixable?

also you have to bring these things up when you mention peaks/prime:

-Tim won one more MVP after his supposed "downhill" started (he wasn't dominant, but he did enough to control the games and even if you argue about Manu winning it, then the 2nd argument is a problem)
-Manu, statistically, was his best during the 2008 season. is that to say he was better in 2008 than he was in 2005? was 2008 Manu's "peak"?

i'll share my view on it:

Tony Parker is not better than Steve Nash. yes a Finals MVP is solid, but Nash was never blessed with Duncan or Ginobili. he was never blessed with a good defensive team. Steve Nash is a 2 time MVP of the league he's made mediocre teams better. he'd flourish with what Parker's had and we would have probably won more because Parker and Nash play around the same defense, it's just a different team around him. Steve Nash has always kept his teams in the games, he's rarely been a liability nor disappeared during big spots like Parker has been known for.

i think the 2007 Finals MVP was luck for Parker. the Cavs had a slow front court, so all you need is a pick and roll to kill them. if they decide to kill the pick and roll and let him shoot, he had the mid range jumper. i don't think Parker got much respect that year from the Cavs (just my opinion). once they tried to show him respect, Big Z was too slow to help out in any way and they put Lebron on him, which tired him out on offense (add pesky Bruce to the equation on D).
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 06-09-10, 07:42 PM
katyspursfan's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
well, to be fair, can he still have a career year and be at his peak in 2011 after winning the Finals MVP in 2007? because if he was the reason we won the Finals because of dominance, then it's pretty hard to say we won the Finals because of him, the final match up before crowning a champion, and he couldn't even win us more than 1 game by himself in 2008.

if he were to have a career regular season, is it because of him or his cast? i know you think high of Parker, you keep mentioning his 2007 Finals MVP like he was unstoppable. we differ in opinions, of course (you say he was great, i say it was the match ups that helped him win it), but there's a lot more that you have to figure in to say "peak" when you throw arguments around:

1. was it actually him or was he blessed with a supporting cast that got more respect than he did? did they expect him to choke early on like he did in 2003 and 2005?
2. did he take advantage of a flaw in the other team that wasn't fixable?

also you have to bring these things up when you mention peaks/prime:

-Tim won one more MVP after his supposed "downhill" started (he wasn't dominant, but he did enough to control the games and even if you argue about Manu winning it, then the 2nd argument is a problem)
-Manu, statistically, was his best during the 2008 season. is that to say he was better in 2008 than he was in 2005? was 2008 Manu's "peak"?

i'll share my view on it:

Tony Parker is not better than Steve Nash. yes a Finals MVP is solid, but Nash was never blessed with Duncan or Ginobili. he was never blessed with a good defensive team. Steve Nash is a 2 time MVP of the league he's made mediocre teams better. he'd flourish with what Parker's had and we would have probably won more because Parker and Nash play around the same defense, it's just a different team around him. Steve Nash has always kept his teams in the games, he's rarely been a liability nor disappeared during big spots like Parker has been known for.

i think the 2007 Finals MVP was luck for Parker. the Cavs had a slow front court, so all you need is a pick and roll to kill them. if they decide to kill the pick and roll and let him shoot, he had the mid range jumper. i don't think Parker got much respect that year from the Cavs (just my opinion). once they tried to show him respect, Big Z was too slow to help out in any way and they put Lebron on him, which tired him out on offense (add pesky Bruce to the equation on D).
I'm really only trying to play devil's advocate. I prefer the discussion much more than the declarations. There's a poster here that thinks Matt Bonner has no value whatsoever, regardless of facts. I try to point out the facts, statistics, or whatever, in order to promote discussion. Some take that personally. It's never personal.

Parker is a top 10 point guard in the league, imho. Closer to 5 than 10. It's a very important position to fill, and you don't trade away someone in the top fifth or third in the NBA because you don't like him (or his wife). You could make the case that his speed is worth more than a couple wins during the season. It was his injuries that could be traced back to the worst season of the Duncan Era. But, the overall record with TP was MUCH better than in past years. This year was either an aberration or the start of a trend. If you remove the few games Selective Bill points out from the sample, then he's pretty important. Or, you can statistically ignore the game. Either way, being selective doesn't always pay off.
Parker's NBA Finals MVP may have been luck, but he was the best Spurs' player in the Finals. That counts for something. He was better than Manu and Timmy. According to the voters.
Finally, on Parker, he's not un-tradeable. He's not Timmy. He's not Robinson. He's Elliot. He's Manu. Avery. You get the idea. But you damn sure better get a LOT back. He's not cap relief, a draft pick and a prospect. In other words, he's not RJ.

I never tried to draw a line in the sand on Timmy's peak. It may have very well been the '02 season. Maybe it was '03. It MAY have been the '05 championship. Regardless, a career peak is absolutely subjective, which is why I gave a range. Forgive me if it was too narrow or too broad.

And, as a side note, I only mention the NBA Finals MVP because I know it bugs billsmith, because he has NEVER responded to the post where I mentioned the NBA Finals MVP is given to the best player on the winning team. He spent months dis-crediting the award because it was against CLE.

Okay, maybe not personal, but sometimes I post for fun.

Last edited by katyspursfan; 06-09-10 at 07:48 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 06-10-10, 06:12 AM
billsmith3503's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,381

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
I don't think I've ever been a proponent of a 6 year extension. If I recall, the only length I've ever mentioned was Parker signing a 3-4 year extension, in order to hedge his bets with the upcoming CBA negotiations.

While we're at it, I didn't say he was on the downside of his career. I offered that the 2007 season may have been his peak. Seems I also mentioned the plausibility that the '10-'11 season may be a career year for Parker.

Of course, you are free to make up anything you want. This is the Internet, after all.

He ain't Steve Nash. Granted. Parker has an NBA Finals MVP trophy on his mantle. Nash, not so much.
Ms Longoria, you're high if you think TP would sign a 3 year extension. He's seeking a max contract- thats in print.

If Parker has a career year: we'll lose more games than ever.

Top 5-10 PG in the league? He lost the starting job on his own team. Parker does get to shine Duncan's finals MVP trophy, but Nash goes home to 2 MVP trophy's and with a much bigger paycheck. Which team eliminated who this year? 3 years ago is nice, but we're a couple of weeks removed from being swept.... by Nash
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 06-10-10, 10:46 AM
billsmith3503's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,381

BTW while we're adding up the top 10 point guards, and discussing handing out max contracts because they are so rare/vaulable remember that in the past 18 months the league has picked up Derrick Rose, Darren Collison, Stephen Curry, Branden Jennings, Russell Westbrook- not mentioning John Wall coming in at number 1.


Thats 6 more people to add to the discussion-- all very very good. True that they dont have 2007 NBA finals mvp trophy's but im pretty sure most teams wouldnt dismiss them.

Nash, Billups, Kidd, Rondo, Paul, D Williams, Billups, Baron Davis, Aaron Brooks, Devin Harris.... yup, PG's are rare indeed. You just can't find em. If Parker can get a max deal because he's got some rings, Derrick Fisher is going to break the bank.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 06-10-10, 02:50 PM
Flipmode Master's Avatar
The Chosen One(Moderator)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Batcave in Savannah
Posts: 5,945

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith3503 View Post
Nash, Billups, Kidd, Rondo, Paul, D Williams, Billups, Baron Davis, Aaron Brooks, Devin Harris.... yup, PG's are rare indeed. You just can't find em. If Parker can get a max deal because he's got some rings, Derrick Fisher is going to break the bank.

See you missing the point...Parker is better than ALL THOSE point guards..I'll give you Deron Williams who had a break out year and is stronger. Parker when healthy has shown he light those guys up you are putting head of him.

He showed what he can do at his best...22 and 7 in 09...averaging no less than 19 and 6 for three years str8 leading up to that..had injury year...Spurs team got a facelift... dropped to 16 and 6.. So don't judge him SOLELY by an injury-plagued yr...this guy is a beast. All this as the second option on the team.

People say the Spurs need a pass-first PG but they want Hill at the helm which isn't that at all...the best games he had as a Spur last year were game where he aggressive.

Spurs didn't lose because Tp didnt have assists..they loss because they let Steve Nash dance in the lane with no bigman waiting for him.
__________________

I'm Batman's cousin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 06-11-10, 12:46 PM
billsmith3503's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipmode Master View Post
See you missing the point...Parker is better than ALL THOSE point guards..I'll give you Deron Williams who had a break out year and is stronger. Parker when healthy has shown he light those guys up you are putting head of him.

He showed what he can do at his best...22 and 7 in 09...averaging no less than 19 and 6 for three years str8 leading up to that..had injury year...Spurs team got a facelift... dropped to 16 and 6.. So don't judge him SOLELY by an injury-plagued yr...this guy is a beast. All this as the second option on the team.

People say the Spurs need a pass-first PG but they want Hill at the helm which isn't that at all...the best games he had as a Spur last year were game where he aggressive.

Spurs didn't lose because Tp didnt have assists..they loss because they let Steve Nash dance in the lane with no bigman waiting for him.
I think you miss the point. Regardless of where you rank TP amongst all of those very high quality Point Guards- the point was that a high quality PG aint that rare. So we can disagree about the skills of the guy, but the fact that there are about 20 quality PG's in the league is completely and totally indisputable.

Trade him for a Center or a big guy, or a draft pick that will get you a Center or a big guy.

No matter, im bored with the conversation, no sense in talking to the wall. When we trade him we'll be a better team and you'll be a homer for whoever replaces him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 06-11-10, 12:53 PM
Flipmode Master's Avatar
The Chosen One(Moderator)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Batcave in Savannah
Posts: 5,945

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith3503 View Post
I think you miss the point. Regardless of where you rank TP amongst all of those very high quality Point Guards- the point was that a high quality PG aint that rare. So we can disagree about the skills of the guy, but the fact that there are about 20 quality PG's in the league is completely and totally indisputable.

Trade him for a Center or a big guy, or a draft pick that will get you a Center or a big guy.

No matter, im bored with the conversation, no sense in talking to the wall. When we trade him we'll be a better team and you'll be a homer for whoever replaces him.

See you talking about me...look...how VAGUE.. you're being...what 20 point guards can replace Tp in this league?

What team will give up a BIGMAN...which bigman? Then you say pick up up one in the draft..like were going grocery shopping...even that guy will be UNPROVEN in a WEAK draft.

You're just talking with no stats...no trade scenarios..going on and on and on...ABOUT NOTHING..
__________________

I'm Batman's cousin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 06-11-10, 01:09 PM
billsmith3503's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipmode Master View Post
See you talking about me...look...how VAGUE.. you're being...what 20 point guards can replace Tp in this league?

What team will give up a BIGMAN...which bigman? Then you say pick up up one in the draft..like were going grocery shopping...even that guy will be UNPROVEN in a WEAK draft.

You're just talking with no stats...no trade scenarios..going on and on and on...ABOUT NOTHING..
Dude are you smoking crack? I posted 16 names of quality PG's, are you saying that any single one of those are not very good?

Name one single one of those 16 names that isnt great.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 06-11-10, 01:18 PM
billsmith3503's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipmode Master View Post
See you talking about me...look...how VAGUE.. you're being...what 20 point guards can replace Tp in this league?

What team will give up a BIGMAN...which bigman? Then you say pick up up one in the draft..like were going grocery shopping...even that guy will be UNPROVEN in a WEAK draft.

You're just talking with no stats...no trade scenarios..going on and on and on...ABOUT NOTHING..
And you want specifics, but you wont tell me what you do about Parkers contract situation. So go ahead and tell me your solution to that.

Additionally, if Parker is the 2nd best PG in the NBA (according to you) why would we be unable to trade him for Dirk, or Bosh, or Boozer or Diwght Howard? I'll answer that for you, because they are better than him and more valuable.

So you tell me the "specifics" of how you re-sign Parker to a Max contract, but cant trade him for a Max contract player.

When you answer that you would sign him to something less than a max contract-- please let me know if you think Parker will sign it. Cause ESPN has reported him as seeking a max deal.

Get Specific
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 06-11-10, 03:03 PM
Uwe Blab's Avatar
The Master Baiter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: S.A.
Posts: 4,589

billsmith, when you get beat, you change the subject to something else. It's actually a good debate strategy. Anyway, if good big men weren't such a rare commodity, you might see someone trade for Tony, but the only type of big man you would get in a trade would be for the likes Oberto,Nick Collison, or some raw talent that may or may not develop.

As far as ESPN, they also reported that Tony said he would welcome a trade to NY, and Tony himself put that out. IF Tony demands a max contract, then I actually agree with you that the Spurs cannot afford that.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-13-10, 11:09 AM
SleepyAdamII's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 4,919

Quote:
SLAMonline Mock Draft: Hassan Whiteside, No. 20
Spurs begin the search for the heir apparent to Duncan.

by Sean Ceglinsky

Tim Duncan, is this guy for real?

I mean, come on, he’s an ageless wonder.

Seemingly, that is.

Duncan defied the odds during the ‘09-10 season, essentially proving that Father Time’s got nothing on him. He was as durable as they come, playing 31-plus minutes a night while shooting 51.9 from the field and netting a respectable 72.5 clip from the free-throw line over the course of a 78-game regular season stint.

Can’t forget to mention the fact that Timmy averaged 17.9 points, 10.1 rebounds, 3.2 assists and 1.5 blocks per game.

That’s getting it done. Straight up.

Keep in mind, we’re talking about a cat that’s been in the League for what seems like forever, 13 years, to be exact. Hard to believe.

But when looking closer at last season’s numbers, you notice his stats, across the board, were down a bit from his career averages.

The decline was expected, of course.

At some point, it happens to everyone.

Don’t think, not even for a split second, that the Spurs brass isn’t mildly concerned. Duncan, after all, has endured plenty of wear and tear over the years while protecting the paint in San Antonio. Protecting the Alamo, if you will.

Now is as good a time as any to start thinking about the future, time to begin formulating a back up plan to eventually replace the irreplaceable cagey vet. Let’s keep it real, Duncan is going to call it career sooner rather than later.

Might as well prepare for the inevitable.

And with the 20th pick in the 2010 SLAMonline Mock Draft, the San Antonio Spurs select…

Hassan Whiteside from Marshall University.

With Duncan on the downside of his career, Greg Popovich & Co. can consider this pick as insurance policy, of sorts.

An insurance pick with plenty of upside.

In fact, the Spurs should consider themselves lucky that Whiteside is still around at this stage of the game. Once he slipped, the selection was a no-brainer. A done deal. Mail it in. Signed, sealed and delivered.

Think about it, Matt Bonner isn’t the answer underneath the basket for the Spurs.

The same can be said about the effective, but aging Antonio McDyess.

As for Ian Mahinmi, inexperience continues to hold him back.

DeJuan Blair certainly has the heart, no one disputes that notion. But size matters in the NBA. Unfortunately, Blair doesn’t always measure up.

Given time, and the proper tutelage, Whiteside could end up being the answer in the middle for San Antonio. At the very least, a part of the long-term solution.

In the meantime, the Spurs get a whole lot younger with 20-year old in the mix. And while Duncan casts a large shadow, to be sure, learning from the best power forward the game’s ever seen certainly won’t hurt the rookie’s development.

Make no mistake, the Spurs had other options with the 20th pick.

Kentucky’s Daniel Orton was still on the board and would have been a nice fit in the San Antonio frontcourt. A colleague of mine, Jacob H. Pollon, said it best: “Orton is the sexy pick for the Spurs. You can’t go wrong with the kid.”

Florida State’s Solomon Alabi was still available.

Another intriguing prospect was European Kevin Seraphin.

Ultimately, however, Whiteside was too good to pass up.

He’s a legit 7-footer, 230-plus pounds, with a freakish 7-7 wingspan. And Whiteside is extremely agile for his size, an attribute that allows him to crash the boards with reckless abandon and alter shots, seemingly at will.

Offensively, his game is a bit raw. Then again, San Antonio doesn’t need him to come in right away and score, not with Duncan in the lineup.

The only thing the Spurs need from Whiteside is for him to be an attentive understudy. Face it, the pupil can learn plenty from his teacher.

No one does it better than Duncan. No one.

The hope is that Whiteside will be the heir apparent.
although it seems we are looking at 2s and 3s, can't help but wonder.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-13-10, 03:26 PM
choppsboy's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 1,661

It would be a miracle if Whiteside was available at 20. If he is, there is no way we shouldn't take him. Whiteside could start at C and Splitter could start at PF when Duncan retires.
__________________
I am never coming back to SpursReport because Will The Thrill is a horses ass.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 06-13-10, 07:20 PM
Silver Samurai's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,239

Please get Whiteside if not get Paul George
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 06-13-10, 09:56 PM
parkfan's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 433

it would be awesome for us to get george but i doubt he'll go that far down.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 06-14-10, 04:24 AM
choppsboy's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 1,661

We should trade the pick to Miami for Dorell Wright
__________________
I am never coming back to SpursReport because Will The Thrill is a horses ass.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 06-15-10, 01:56 PM
billsmith3503's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
billsmith, when you get beat, you change the subject to something else. It's actually a good debate strategy. Anyway, if good big men weren't such a rare commodity, you might see someone trade for Tony, but the only type of big man you would get in a trade would be for the likes Oberto,Nick Collison, or some raw talent that may or may not develop.

As far as ESPN, they also reported that Tony said he would welcome a trade to NY, and Tony himself put that out. IF Tony demands a max contract, then I actually agree with you that the Spurs cannot afford that.
So UWE. Tell me what I got beat at? First, Im not arguing or debating anything- secondly you havent made a point on anything.

You agree that Parker is not worth a max salary- so what's your deal?

3 year deal? He wont sign it.
4? Doubtful
5? too long for me...
6? you're pushing it

So what do you do? Let him walk for nothing? Pay him too much?

Id let him walk before i overpaid him, we're a small market and a mistake like that would be devestaing to our attempt to rebuild post-Duncan.

You keep asking me to answer your question about exactly who id trade him for... and I keep telling you id trade him for a piece of string.... and at the end of this conversation neither of us will have Parker on our team, but i'll have string and you'll have nothing.

That said: I can probably actually get a player or a draft pick for him-- and not settle for string. What are you getting?

Im not changing debtate tactics, because ive answered your question-- but you are definitely avoiding the question. Katy says 3-4 year extension- it aint happening. Parker as a free agent can and will get a 5 year deal- no doubt about it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 06-15-10, 04:12 PM
Uwe Blab's Avatar
The Master Baiter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: S.A.
Posts: 4,589

Bill, I and several other posters have made points that you've ignored. But let's move on. A 5 year contract is actually not too long considering his age, he would be a free agent at about 33. It's the amount that should be of concern. The Spurs are in sort of a pickle, because they don't have the benefit of waiting to see how he plays this next season, like they were able to do with Manu. But it's less of a gamble to offer him 5 years then it was to offer Manu 3 years and 40 million. I think Manu's contract will be devastating in that he probably won't last the whole 3 years and now you've set the benchmark for Tony's contract pretty high.

Your string analogy made me smile, but if you traded him in a sign and trade, you would not get anything back that is much better than a piece of string. There is always a winner and loser in a blockbuster trade, and the Spurs would most likely be the loser in a Tony Parker trade. But don't get me wrong, if they were able to get a top 3 draft pick or another all star for him, then I'd be for it. So in conclusion, unless Tony does ask for less than we are all thinking, the Spurs are screwed either way.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 06-15-10, 05:07 PM
grizzly_bexar's Avatar
Carne de res ipsa loquitur
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,551

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
We should trade the pick to Miami for Dorell Wright
Can't do it. He's an unrestricted FA.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 06-15-10, 05:44 PM
billsmith3503's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Bill, I and several other posters have made points that you've ignored. But let's move on. A 5 year contract is actually not too long considering his age, he would be a free agent at about 33. It's the amount that should be of concern. The Spurs are in sort of a pickle, because they don't have the benefit of waiting to see how he plays this next season, like they were able to do with Manu. But it's less of a gamble to offer him 5 years then it was to offer Manu 3 years and 40 million. I think Manu's contract will be devastating in that he probably won't last the whole 3 years and now you've set the benchmark for Tony's contract pretty high.

Your string analogy made me smile, but if you traded him in a sign and trade, you would not get anything back that is much better than a piece of string. There is always a winner and loser in a blockbuster trade, and the Spurs would most likely be the loser in a Tony Parker trade. But don't get me wrong, if they were able to get a top 3 draft pick or another all star for him, then I'd be for it. So in conclusion, unless Tony does ask for less than we are all thinking, the Spurs are screwed either way.
If there was a point I definitely missed it, because this is the first time anyone has attempted to figure out how to keep him, instead of just insisting that we must keep him.

I believe we could trade him now, many teams are jockeying for free agents, and picking off TP would immediately be attractive to a FA looking for a winning situation so Miami becomes a possibility. He would definitely fit in NY, and we all know Indiana needs a PG. The Bobcats need someone too.

Signing Parker to 5 would keep him until he's 34, not 33. He's 28 now and has 1 year left on this deal. He made 12.6 mill this season-- I just don't see a deal that makes sense for us, and doesn't cream us. Manu's deal makes complete sense to me, because it leads me to believe someone in the FO assumes TD is on board for 2 more. Keeping TP for almost max money, for 3 years past Duncan doesnt seem smart at all.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 06-15-10, 06:20 PM
kaji157's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,452

I would offer him 4 years at 50 millions, that´s exactly what Manu was given, with one more year. I won´t be hesitant to give him an extra year if he wanted to, but i would offer him a player option for that 5th year at an Average Annual Salary of the contract.
Using this page you can calculate an NBA salary. It would end up like this.
--year 1 ----- year 2 ----- year 3 ----- year 4 ----- year 5 --
10,800,000 - 11,880,000 - 12,960,000 - 14,040,000 - 12,420,000 PO

Note that the 5th year is an average of the other 4. The contract total would be 62.100.000 total.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 06-15-10, 09:36 PM
billsmith3503's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,381

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaji157 View Post
I would offer him 4 years at 50 millions, that´s exactly what Manu was given, with one more year. I won´t be hesitant to give him an extra year if he wanted to, but i would offer him a player option for that 5th year at an Average Annual Salary of the contract.
Using this page you can calculate an NBA salary. It would end up like this.
--year 1 ----- year 2 ----- year 3 ----- year 4 ----- year 5 --
10,800,000 - 11,880,000 - 12,960,000 - 14,040,000 - 12,420,000 PO

Note that the 5th year is an average of the other 4. The contract total would be 62.100.000 total.
Giving him a player option is the same as giving him a 5 year deal.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 06-15-10, 09:45 PM
choppsboy's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 1,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Can't do it. He's an unrestricted FA.
It was a joke. I think Wright sucks
__________________
I am never coming back to SpursReport because Will The Thrill is a horses ass.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 06-15-10, 09:50 PM
choppsboy's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 1,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaji157 View Post
I would offer him 4 years at 50 millions, that´s exactly what Manu was given, with one more year. I won´t be hesitant to give him an extra year if he wanted to, but i would offer him a player option for that 5th year at an Average Annual Salary of the contract.
Using this page you can calculate an NBA salary. It would end up like this.
--year 1 ----- year 2 ----- year 3 ----- year 4 ----- year 5 --
10,800,000 - 11,880,000 - 12,960,000 - 14,040,000 - 12,420,000 PO

Note that the 5th year is an average of the other 4. The contract total would be 62.100.000 total.
Why would Tony Parker take a pay cut to stay with the Spurs? He is making 12.6 mil right now. Any contract has to start there. Also, no one goes backwards like you are having tony in year 5. At best players (like Duncan and David Robinson) don't take raises. Tony Should get 12.6, 13.6, 14.6, 15.6, 16.6. We can afford that especially after Tim leaves, and still pay other players a ton of money. That gives Tony a 5 year 73 million dollar contract. Don't scoff at how high that is because I guarantee that is the minimum he gets from the Spurs.
__________________
I am never coming back to SpursReport because Will The Thrill is a horses ass.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 06-15-10, 10:20 PM
parkfan's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
Why would Tony Parker take a pay cut to stay with the Spurs? He is making 12.6 mil right now. Any contract has to start there. Also, no one goes backwards like you are having tony in year 5. At best players (like Duncan and David Robinson) don't take raises. Tony Should get 12.6, 13.6, 14.6, 15.6, 16.6. We can afford that especially after Tim leaves, and still pay other players a ton of money. That gives Tony a 5 year 73 million dollar contract. Don't scoff at how high that is because I guarantee that is the minimum he gets from the Spurs.
wow i actually agree with you for the most part. ide start him a little higher but yea we should keep him and then give him his raises.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 06-15-10, 10:25 PM
choppsboy's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 1,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkfan View Post
wow i actually agree with you for the most part. ide start him a little higher but yea we should keep him and then give him his raises.
:applause



__________________
I am never coming back to SpursReport because Will The Thrill is a horses ass.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 06-16-10, 12:45 PM
grizzly_bexar's Avatar
Carne de res ipsa loquitur
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,551

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith3503 View Post
If there was a point I definitely missed it, because this is the first time anyone has attempted to figure out how to keep him, instead of just insisting that we must keep him.

I believe we could trade him now, many teams are jockeying for free agents, and picking off TP would immediately be attractive to a FA looking for a winning situation so Miami becomes a possibility. He would definitely fit in NY, and we all know Indiana needs a PG. The Bobcats need someone too.

Signing Parker to 5 would keep him until he's 34, not 33. He's 28 now and has 1 year left on this deal. He made 12.6 mill this season-- I just don't see a deal that makes sense for us, and doesn't cream us. Manu's deal makes complete sense to me, because it leads me to believe someone in the FO assumes TD is on board for 2 more. Keeping TP for almost max money, for 3 years past Duncan doesnt seem smart at all.
On the issue of TP staying or going-- one angle that I think has been overlooked in this discussion is the impact of the new CBA. Maxing out TP with an extension today may cost a whole lot more than "maxing" him out after the dust has settled on the new CBA. Fewer years, less per year, harder cap, etc. are all things on the table and with strong momentum given the economy.

So I see it as fairly probable that TP's best option next summer will be to stay with the Spurs and that this won't kill the Spurs in a way that a max-out extension in today's CBA would.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.7.4 Copyright © 2000-2008 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0