News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-12-10, 05:45 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Parker for Rudy Gay?

What do you guys think? Gay is a restricted free agent and rumor is we are interested.(rumor coming from NY Post article) Personally, I love this deal especially if Splitter is as good as advertised and we can find a team to take Jefferson's expiring contract. This is probably the only trade I would do without hesitation.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-12-10, 06:02 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan4life12 View Post
What do you guys think? Gay is a restricted free agent and rumor is we are interested.(rumor coming from NY Post article) Personally, I love this deal especially if Splitter is as good as advertised and we can find a team to take Jefferson's expiring contract. This is probably the only trade I would do without hesitation.
Dumb.
I've listened to Houston radio for years whining about trading rights to Gay for Battier. Gay is a MLE player. He's not a franchise player, or an All-Star. His NBA Finals MVP trophy rack is empty.
He's a wing player. He's not a big. He's not a PG.

You don't trade a big or a PG for a wing.

Last edited by katyspursfan; 05-12-10 at 06:07 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-12-10, 06:02 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan4life12 View Post
Player for player, it's certainly a reasonable option.

Dollar for dollar, I'd say no. That is, I don't want to pay Rudy Gay the $14 mil/year TP is getting. That would be overpaying.

And the main thing here is if you want to do a deal like that, you've got to get something lined up for RJ first, because of the two, clearly TP would be easier to move. So you don't want to back yourself into a corner having acquired Gay for TP and then end up stuck with two starting SF's when you can't deal RJ away.

My concern is that while Gay definitely adds athleticism, even more so than RJ, he's a worse shooter than RJ. I think we need to upgrade our shooting at the expense of slashing (from the SF position).
Old 05-12-10, 06:09 PM
SpursReport Rookie

to call it dumb is just ridiculous Katyspur. Rudy would make us younger is a better shooter than jefferson and ginobili is the better facilitator of the offense anyway. Parker is good and fits in well but he is only going to get older and slower and want more money, he doesnt have a jumpshot either. GB I agree we have to find a suitor for jefferson before hand but with his expiring contract it might hard but not impossible. I am not saying it is going to happen but if it did, I think it would be an excellent move by the spurs FO
Old 05-12-10, 06:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Its not so ridiculous Tex as RJ averaged 19.6 last year same that Rudy Gay averaged this year at a similar team... same style player, % all match up.

I guess the question is why would Rudy do better than RJ in the system, enough to warrent trading TP, all know my thoughts on that. Would you trade TP for RJ cause that is what you could be doing.
Old 05-12-10, 06:32 PM
SpursReport Rookie

RJ is just a slasher that can only flourish in a uptempo style. he has no jumpshot whatsoever and relies heavily on his teammates to create opportunities for him. RG can create his own shot, finish at the rim and hit the open jumper, not to mention is, I think 3 yrs or more years younger than RJ. RG is also not as timid during games or disappear for long stretches of the schedule, not games but schedule. RJ wouldn't do anything for 4,5,or even 6 games at a time

Last edited by texan4life12; 05-12-10 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-12-10, 06:41 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I will have to take your word for it, unless someone else can update this, on the nuances of his game as his stat line is pretty much a carbon copy of RJ's from the Bucks.

So if he is brought over is he going to have the San An shuffle curse where we allow a year for him to hit his stride? And then I still say that you are releasing a true proven scoring part of our championships, at 3 points a game better when not injured, for another player who may or may not work.

Rudy is not a $13 m a year player and that is what you are making him, we need more back for Parker
Old 05-12-10, 06:51 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I see your concerns Kager, I just think Parker is bolting after this season and this would be a way to get value before he goes as a free agent. I like Parker, dont get me wrong , he has done a lot for the franchise, but in a business sense, his foot injuries seem to be more frequent and he isnt getting any younger. he is gong to want the max deal when the current one expires and personally I think that is too much to pay for a 29 yr old score first pg who has a recent history of foot problems.
Old 05-12-10, 07:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Theres some talk he is offended and may want to take off for the bright lights and if this becomes more obvious then yes lets use his contract to get something, and if Rudy is the best option then so be it. All of that is a big if as I don't think after the years of Pop yelling at him he would suddenly tear up when coming off the bench as Manu has for years. RC has come out in support of TP and unlike other entertainment WAG's Eva seems very happy to keep a connection to "small town Texas" so I don't know if he is definately out of here.

If you do this though you would have to trade RJ for a Big and hope Hill can go the next step forward rather than back. Cause the best we could afford after that is another Van exel clone of a vet PG that wants to try their luck, as after Hill we have no experience unless you count using Manu as a general.
Old 05-12-10, 07:34 PM
The Master Baiter

The talk about him being offended comes from this board. He is on record as saying his heart is in San Antonio. I'm sure he is concerned about the amount of money available, any one of us would be concerned. What's funny is that people are saying that Parker is getting old and will want more money, etc. They just described Manu. And Manu is older than TP.
Old 05-12-10, 09:10 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
The talk about him being offended comes from this board. He is on record as saying his heart is in San Antonio. I'm sure he is concerned about the amount of money available, any one of us would be concerned. What's funny is that people are saying that Parker is getting old and will want more money, etc. They just described Manu. And Manu is older than TP.
But this board is usually so balanced and reliable..... don't ruin the magic by saying they hadn't spoken to Tony or Eva before stating that....
Old 05-12-10, 09:54 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Uwe, I would agree with anyone who said we overpaid Manu, but the majority, if not all, of the fan base is obsessed with Manu and he will bring tickets hust by being Manu. Parker on the other hand is, although a considerate part of the franchise, more dispensable than Manu or Duncan.
Old 05-12-10, 10:06 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Tony I think has value to the team beyond his mere stats. He has good character and has been a strong leader at times. He and his wife are well liked in SA. And that teardrop shot is just so beautiful. I hope we keep him.
Old 05-13-10, 12:32 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

i hope the spurs pay tony more money. to sit his ass down the entire summer and come into next season fresh, re energized and completely healed.

SIGN TIAGO
Old 05-13-10, 04:53 AM
SpursReport Team Member

+1

And how about this - come into next season with an effective 3-point shot. That could complete him.
Old 05-13-10, 07:10 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Crazy Crazy Tony Parker Trade Idea

Parker (13.5m) = Arenas (17.7m) + Lottory Pick

Wizards dump Arenas' MONSTER contract and legal troubles.
Spurs get a combo guard that can light it up, but with character issues. Plus a lottery pick the team could use to land an young big. (Wizard have the 5th worst record)

The Spurs (NBA's most expensive team)

PG Hill
SG Arenas/Ginobili
SF Jefferson
PF Blair/Splitter/(Greg Monroe,Ekpe Udoh,Donatas Montiejunas,Derrick Favors,Ed Davis)
C Duncan/McDyess

Arenas' monster deal
10/11 - 17.7 million
11/12 - 19.2 million
12/13 - 20.8 million - player option
13/14 - 22.3 million
Old 05-13-10, 08:17 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by one3 View Post
Crazy Crazy Tony Parker Trade Idea

Parker (13.5m) = Arenas (17.7m) + Lottory Pick

Wizards dump Arenas' MONSTER contract and legal troubles.
Spurs get a combo guard that can light it up, but with character issues. Plus a lottery pick the team could use to land an young big. (Wizard have the 5th worst record)

The Spurs (NBA's most expensive team)

PG Hill
SG Arenas/Ginobili
SF Jefferson
PF Blair/Splitter/(Greg Monroe,Ekpe Udoh,Donatas Montiejunas,Derrick Favors,Ed Davis)
C Duncan/McDyess

Arenas' monster deal
10/11 - 17.7 million
11/12 - 19.2 million
12/13 - 20.8 million - player option
13/14 - 22.3 million
Worst. Idea. Ever.

But that's not what I was going to talk about. Going through all these comments here, my thoughts are:
  • We would be stupid to trade TP away for Rudy, straight up, we need some kickers.
  • I wouldn't be shocked if TP was looking to leave SA. Not because we've insulted him, but because we can't give him a max deal, and at the rate things are going, if we keep him, he spends the rest of the prime of his career dogging it trying to carry a franchise that just can't get it done. And Tony is no LBJ, he knows he can't do that. So why not get out at the end of an era, while you are still valuable, sign a fat contract, and try and help some other team compete.
  • I don't know Rudy's game enough, but if we could get him for less than 10mil/year and ditch RJ, then it's a decent move.
  • I disagree that we should give up slashing from our 3 spot, Manu is getting old, and we need a wing that can slash and create his own shot. Hell, that was supposed to be RJ! But he isn't getting it done.

Just random thoughts.

No Arenas. Poor character issues. Crazy ball hog. 30 ppg and could still limit our offense.
Old 05-13-10, 09:31 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoerneAg54 View Post
Worst. Idea. Ever.

But that's not what I was going to talk about. Going through all these comments here, my thoughts are:
  • We would be stupid to trade TP away for Rudy, straight up, we need some kickers.
  • I wouldn't be shocked if TP was looking to leave SA. Not because we've insulted him, but because we can't give him a max deal, and at the rate things are going, if we keep him, he spends the rest of the prime of his career dogging it trying to carry a franchise that just can't get it done. And Tony is no LBJ, he knows he can't do that. So why not get out at the end of an era, while you are still valuable, sign a fat contract, and try and help some other team compete.
  • I don't know Rudy's game enough, but if we could get him for less than 10mil/year and ditch RJ, then it's a decent move.
  • I disagree that we should give up slashing from our 3 spot, Manu is getting old, and we need a wing that can slash and create his own shot. Hell, that was supposed to be RJ! But he isn't getting it done.

Just random thoughts.

No Arenas. Poor character issues. Crazy ball hog. 30 ppg and could still limit our offense.
Apparently, not even Lebron can carry a team.

But yes, money is going to be an issue. Although I don't see him asking for the max, or at least he isn't worth the max.
Old 05-13-10, 10:59 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoerneAg54 View Post
I disagree that we should give up slashing from our 3 spot, Manu is getting old, and we need a wing that can slash and create his own shot. Hell, that was supposed to be RJ! But he isn't getting it done.
I agree, except that it's always a tradeoff. If you can get a 3 who has great character, can shoot lights out, play good defense, and slash, obviously you do that. But that's Lebron James and who else?

So you have to make compromises. What we saw this playoffs is the current tradeoff doesn't really work with this team. RJ not being a great shooter impairs his effectiveness with TP, Manu, and TD. With Bonner and Hill being our best outside threats, we really need to bump up our outside s hooting to be effective. And if we can get slashing too, that's gravy.
Old 05-13-10, 11:30 AM
SpursReport Rookie

What about Parker for Deron Williams????
Old 05-13-10, 02:55 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Apparently, not even Lebron can carry a team.

But yes, money is going to be an issue. Although I don't see him asking for the max, or at least he isn't worth the max.
What I meant, and what I was thinking when I typed that, was the thought of LBJ going to the Knicks, and thinking he can carry a POS team on his own, for the glory and fame of being in NY.

I didn't really mean to imply the LBJ could, because clearly he hasn't to this point.

And yes, there's typically a trade off between perimeter shooting and slashing (and even LeBron isn't a great shooter). It's a debate, and I'm not thinking either one is bad, today I just so happen to be on the slashing side.
Old 05-13-10, 03:23 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Parker is better than Gay. We add wing depth, but deplete our backcourt depth again. Pick up pieces like Korver and keep Parker.
Old 05-13-10, 04:25 PM
SpursReport Rookie

What about Parker for LBJ while we're at it.