News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-23-10, 05:52 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Manu won't play in Turkey

Sólo estoy priorizando Londres 2012 a Turqu*a 2010 - canchallena.com*

It's official, in his collumn in La Nación:
"I've come to the conclusion that, nowadays, the best for me and my family, is not play the World Cup in Turkey"
"I hope that you can understand this too. I'm not retiring from the NT, I'm just priorizing London to Turkey and the possibility of living an Olimpic Game from inside again"
I leave the rest of the translation to someone with better skills
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-23-10, 06:22 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Good to see he needs rest, Argentina can still play great since they have Oberto,Scola and Nocioni and Delfino playing
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-23-10, 07:34 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Honestly, I hope he comes to the same conclusion about London, or whatever international competition comes up in the future. Only the NBA Manu! I doubt he'll pass up the opportunity to play with his national team when push comes to shove, but I wish he'd stick to the Spurs.
Old 04-23-10, 10:59 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capek View Post
Honestly, I hope he comes to the same conclusion about London, or whatever international competition comes up in the future. Only the NBA Manu! I doubt he'll pass up the opportunity to play with his national team when push comes to shove, but I wish he'd stick to the Spurs.
As Spurs fans, we should all hope he plans to hang up his sneakers when it comes to international competition

- Confucius
Old 04-23-10, 11:11 AM
The Master Baiter

It's pretty sad when he feels like he has to explain himself to the Argentinians. They were the ones that pressured him into playing when he first got hurt.
Old 04-23-10, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
It's pretty sad when he feels like he has to explain himself to the Argentinians. They were the ones that pressured him into playing when he first got hurt.
it's all your fault Athenea!

Old 04-23-10, 12:07 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I am glad to see that he will not be playing for the right reasons. We as Spurs fans don't really care the reason, but he is a Family first kind of guy. Thank you Front office for coming to your senses and extending his contract.
Old 04-23-10, 03:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Well I respect whatever decision he makes and I'm glad that he decided to be at home relaxing and spending some quality time with his newborn sons because this is time he wouldn't want to trade for anything. It's just sad that it's a no win situation for him. If he decides to play of course Spurs fans are mad at him but if he decides to stay home and rest he gets a lot of heat from the whole country. It's sad to see all the viscious messages on his facebook right now because he decided to put family first .
Old 04-23-10, 04:21 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgospurs View Post
Well I respect whatever decision he makes and I'm glad that he decided to be at home relaxing and spending some quality time with his newborn sons because this is time he wouldn't want to trade for anything. It's just sad that it's a no win situation for him. If he decides to play of course Spurs fans are mad at him but if he decides to stay home and rest he gets a lot of heat from the whole country. It's sad to see all the viscious messages on his facebook right now because he decided to put family first .
aww that's sad.

Old 04-23-10, 04:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I cannot believe you think of sports just as an enterprise/owner-eployee situation. There are other ways of thinking, living and feeling in life (even if you think otherwise). I cannot understand how you can say such things as "stick" to the spurs. He is "sticking" to the Spurs, because he's not playing for any other team in the NBA, which is where the Spurs play, but he doesn't play basketball just because he's an "employee". He plays basketball because he feels it and he loves it. You have to thank that he's deciding not to play on this next world championships. In 2005 he was amazing and he came from playing non-stop at the olympics, so it's complete nonsense to say that "playing for the Argentine NT is bad for his health".
Besides this, if you want to think in a kind of investment-reward logic, you have to think that Manu is what he is because there was an Argentine league which gave him the opportunity to learn and grow. Did the Spurs pay the Argentine league (which by the way deals in life with a monstrously tiny budget compared to the NBA) to thank them for developing a player which helped them win 4 championships? So it's on his heart and on his moral commitment through life to play with the NT, and if he feels "obliged" to give explanations, it's because there's a strong spiritual bond.
Old 04-23-10, 06:20 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
it's all your fault Athenea!

Hey!!! *ducks*
[email protected]
Old 04-23-10, 06:21 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Old 04-23-10, 06:24 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Quote:
I think it's more informing than explaining.
It might surprise u, but our sportmen even dou they make their living in international competition, they take HUGE pride in representing our country.
May be the reality in ur country is quite different and u find it hard to understand. I'd say I pity u, but I think I'm a bit more open-minded
[email protected]
Old 04-23-10, 06:37 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I`m argentinian, I love Manu, but I think it`s time he start thinking on himself and his life & career. He gave everything to the NT in the past, so he deserves the right to choose what`s best for him now. No one here should blame him for doing this. Even more, if the NT relies solely on him there will be no future players ready for this challenges.

So, Manu: it`s OK. Now it`s playoff time: go with Spurs go and get another ring!
Old 04-24-10, 05:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by PfAr View Post
I`m argentinian, I love Manu, but I think it`s time he start thinking on himself and his life & career. He gave everything to the NT in the past, so he deserves the right to choose what`s best for him now. No one here should blame him for doing this. Even more, if the NT relies solely on him there will be no future players ready for this challenges.

So, Manu: it`s OK. Now it`s playoff time: go with Spurs go and get another ring!

:applause:applause:applause:applause
Old 04-24-10, 06:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
I clicked on this thread because I was 100% sure there would be a senseless post from you, as usual. I won't say anything, just leave other people explain it to you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Oberto! View Post
I cannot believe you think of sports just as an enterprise/owner-eployee situation. There are other ways of thinking, living and feeling in life (even if you think otherwise). I cannot understand how you can say such things as "stick" to the spurs. He is "sticking" to the Spurs, because he's not playing for any other team in the NBA, which is where the Spurs play, but he doesn't play basketball just because he's an "employee". He plays basketball because he feels it and he loves it. You have to thank that he's deciding not to play on this next world championships. In 2005 he was amazing and he came from playing non-stop at the olympics, so it's complete nonsense to say that "playing for the Argentine NT is bad for his health".
Besides this, if you want to think in a kind of investment-reward logic, you have to think that Manu is what he is because there was an Argentine league which gave him the opportunity to learn and grow. Did the Spurs pay the Argentine league (which by the way deals in life with a monstrously tiny budget compared to the NBA) to thank them for developing a player which helped them win 4 championships? So it's on his heart and on his moral commitment through life to play with the NT, and if he feels "obliged" to give explanations, it's because there's a strong spiritual bond.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHENEA View Post
I think it's more informing than explaining.
It might surprise u, but our sportmen even dou they make their living in international competition, they take HUGE pride in representing our country.
May be the reality in ur country is quite different and u find it hard to understand. I'd say I pity u, but I think I'm a bit more open-minded
I'll add to BringOberto's post: not only he got basketball training. He also got free education, free health care, free sports and cultural development. Of course he knows that, and that's why he feels guilty and obliged to give explanations. Either way, I'm happy for everything he gave, and I hope to see him again in an Argentina's NT jersey. If not, nothing changes for me as well as for many people in Argentina

and for those putting money in front of everything: what a sad life...
Old 04-24-10, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio View Post
I clicked on this thread because I was 100% sure there would be a senseless post from you, as usual. I won't say anything, just leave other people explain it to you:

I'll add to BringOberto's post: not only he got basketball training. He also got free education, free health care, free sports and cultural development. Of course he knows that, and that's why he feels guilty and obliged to give explanations. Either way, I'm happy for everything he gave, and I hope to see him again in an Argentina's NT jersey. If not, nothing changes for me as well as for many people in Argentina

and for those putting money in front of everything: what a sad life...
i also think it might be because the US and some other countries get a lot of media attention (like Team USA every year), i think every Argentinean (Manu, Scola, Nocioni, etc.) find that as a way to give back to the country. if they were to win a medal (like in 2004), then Argentina gets more media attention, the country as a whole get more tourists, etc., but that's just an idea that popped in my head.
Old 04-24-10, 07:12 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

All,

Manu is the best.

He is a class act with amazing heart and drive.

He has made his decision and we all need to respect it.
Old 04-24-10, 07:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Manu is so cool!!
Old 04-24-10, 08:55 PM
SpursReport Team Member

So at what point is he not expected to play for Team Argentina? Coming from visiting Argentina within the past month and having this discussion with many Argentinians they really puzzled me. They want Manu to start for the Spurs and play at least 30 minutes per game and then come home and play for the national team. They couldn't understand why the Spurs were so hesitant to resign him. What they didn't understand is the toll that it takes on the body playing basketball year round...especially within the NBA. As one gets older, it's body isn't what it used to be. The reality is that he can't keep doing both forever...his body won't allow it. By doing so could shorten his career and I seriously doubt the Argentinians would like that very much either. Reality states that he is receiving a huge paycheck from the Spurs. That is his bread and butter...his livelyhood. He has represented his country well and honorably. At what point are you going to let the next generation take hold and thank him for all that he has done. Let him finish his career in the NBA without hampering injuries from year round play. He can still make Argentina proud. But, he has paid his dues. After debating this issue with each person that asked me they had no response as they admitted it was true. Reality states the window for the Spurs to regain another championship is dimming. One can't have their cake and eat it too. At some point a line has to be drawn and a choice be made. So which is it?? Play for SA or Argentina. Which would you choose?