News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 03-19-10, 10:13 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Loving Hairston's Development

I know tonight was a BLOW OUT victory in every sense of the word BUT...

I'm absolutely loving Malik Hairston in the past couple of weeks now that he's been getting some playing time.

He brings enthusiasm into the game and gives us another athletic slasher on the offensive end. He ATTACKS the rim with reckless abandonment and goes in there looking for contact. Malik plays the way that we expected RJ to play from the very get go (I'm glad RJ is starting to do that now).

But most importantly, Malik brings INTENSITY to the defensive end as well and that's the difference between him and RJ right now. If you observe the effort Malik puts out there on the way he tries to fight over screens and run out on the shooters, you can tell he's really going at 100% every time he steps foot on the court. And THAT attitude is getting infectious with the team, we are seeing a better effort on the defensive end, which is producing more opportunities on the offensive end.

Not bashing on RJ either. Jefferson has been bringing the effort as we head down the stretch run here and it seems like he's finally figuring out his role, which is great to see.

Side note...

Timmy is shooting 50% the past 2 games, even after a 1 for 10 outing against the Magic.

1/10 + 8/8 = 9/18:applause:applause

didn't take him long to get back on track did it?

With Tony Parker going down, it might really have been a blessing in disguise.

1. Tony gets to rest his ankles, legs and hips.
2. Emergence of Hairston (continued improvement of Hill)
3. Manu's increased PT getting him in rhythm
4. RJ finding his groove (from possibly playing with Manu more?)

Now, i just wish Roger Mason could get himself going a bit with the extra time he's getting. His minutes are getting taken away by Hairston but deservedly so. I think that's why u saw Mason getting some extra burn during the Warriors game, although he never fully seemed to get his rhythm back.

Killer stretch coming up ahead... but if we could look at this stretch as the "Delayed Rodeo Trip" and get some momentum... I think we could possibly become the scariest team heading into the playoffs.

What a gauntlet... but I'd rather test the Spurs' meddle now and know what to expect from them going into the playoffs rather than play crappy teams down the stretch, get some false confidence and high expectations, then fall flat on our faces.

GO SPURS GO!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-19-10, 10:47 PM

i love his aggression. not afraid to take it to the hole or D it back. his mentality is what we need and have been getting from RJ. i wish we played him sooner
Old 03-19-10, 11:23 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I laughed when he went out there. I was like, wow really!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-20-10, 01:09 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

We gotta get this kid some playing time. I'd love Mason to get his game back, but Hairston has earned every minute of time that Mason had been getting.
Old 03-20-10, 02:29 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Jackson was waived today. But who knows, perhaps he'll be back in the summer (if the Spurs liked what they saw). Maybe they'll do the same with Temple and audition a new pair of guys to see who to bring into the camp (not with the Toros currently).

Quote:
Jackson released: Guard Cedric Jackson's 10-day contract expired after the game and the 6-foot-3 rookie from Cleveland State headed back to the D-League's Erie (Pa.) Bayhawks.
Duncan bounces back in big way

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
We gotta get this kid some playing time. I'd love Mason to get his game back, but Hairston has earned every minute of time that Mason had been getting.
As the Spurs focus on defense more and more as they get into bigger teams, he'll probably get time (especially if he does it on the defensive end). His play versus VC probably won't go unnoticed.

Hairston will def get a lot of time next season. That's the good news at least thinking in the longer term future.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 03-20-10, 10:46 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

he's not just developing, but i think he's also truly contributing and can contribute...

so i really hope that pop doesn't all of a sudden make him dissapear come playoff time like he did with George Hill last year, only to change it once its to late.
Old 03-20-10, 09:22 PM
Dead Man Walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan9 View Post
he's not just developing, but i think he's also truly contributing and can contribute...

so i really hope that pop doesn't all of a sudden make him dissapear come playoff time like he did with George Hill last year, only to change it once its to late.
I'd love to see Hairston out there come playoff time, but i trust Pop will make the move that is best for the team.
Old 03-21-10, 08:51 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Totally agree on Hairston!
Play the kid, and see what's he got!
That sure is alot of energy coming off the bench!
If he continues to work on his jump shot, he can be a very good 2 guard/small for the Spurs!