News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 03-10-10, 09:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

more minutes for malik

I'm starting a petition to get Hairston more minutes, let him take some of Makesnone Jr 's minutes since he can't hit the side of a barn, without his offense he's nothing his D sucks big ba!#$
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-10-10, 09:55 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Hairston was a breath of fresh air tonight.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-10-10, 10:01 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

He earned more minutes tonight. Sean had it right. He is HUNGRY.
Old 03-10-10, 10:06 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvernblackfan View Post
I'm starting a petition to get Hairston more minutes, let him take some of Makesnone Jr 's minutes since he can't hit the side of a barn, without his offense he's nothing his D sucks big ba!#$
You have to remember that until Spurs can get another ball handler, Mason Jr. will always get time. If Hairston had solid handles, Mason probably would have seen more bench time and Hairston more a while back.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 03-10-10, 10:57 PM
SpursReport Rookie

The thing is, Mason can't handle the ball very well either! It's so frustrating that he never waits for the big man to set a solid pick... I don't know how many times DeJuan has gotten an offensive foul called bc Mason is in too much of a hurry.
Old 03-10-10, 11:04 PM

Mason proved tonight he can't handle the ball nor can he pass. he tries way too stupid passes, a bounce pass to Manu that was slow as hell and the pass he just throws for a turnover. during that 3rd quarter tonight, his "ball handling" caused 4 turnovers in a row (even if he wasn't credited with the TO). he's not useful at all.
Old 03-10-10, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGamez View Post
The thing is, Mason can't handle the ball very well either! It's so frustrating that he never waits for the big man to set a solid pick... I don't know how many times DeJuan has gotten an offensive foul called bc Mason is in too much of a hurry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
Mason proved tonight he can't handle the ball nor can he pass. he tries way too stupid passes, a bounce pass to Manu that was slow as hell and the pass he just throws for a turnover. during that 3rd quarter tonight, his "ball handling" caused 4 turnovers in a row (even if he wasn't credited with the TO). he's not useful at all.
He can better than Hairston. That's my point. I never said he was that good. It's pretty much the only other reason he gets on the court if he can't hit. Mason's really bad at using the screens because he goes too quickly. That's obvious.

Having said that, the Spurs don't have much else outside of Hill and Manu. This is why I can realistically see the new guy, Cedric Johnson getting spot minutes just so there is a ball handler.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 03-10-10, 11:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego View Post
You have to remember that until Spurs can get another ball handler, Mason Jr. will always get time. If Hairston had solid handles, Mason probably would have seen more bench time and Hairston more a while back.
If this D-Leaguer guy Cedric Jackson has some good practices and can handle a bit of our offensive and defensive plays, i expect Mason to be out of the linup untill playoffs. Or just hope so. Luckily the point guard position is not so difficult in our system as mainly is 4-down plays, penetrate and kick out, and give the ball to Manu and watch. The other plays are for a scoring PG which he is not.
What i don't get is what is the strategy for Jefferson. I was hoping that with Parker out we could involve him more, yet he is seeing less and less floor time.
Old 03-11-10, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaji157 View Post
What i don't get is what is the strategy for Jefferson. I was hoping that with Parker out we could involve him more, yet he is seeing less and less floor time.
That's hard to say. With Manu in the starting lineup, RJ should probably start so their minutes line up more and play at the same time. RJ definitely has struggled more since Manu started (2 games so its hard to see if there is a correlation).

Old 03-11-10, 12:08 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego View Post
That's hard to say. With Manu in the starting lineup, RJ should probably start so their minutes line up more and play at the same time. RJ definitely has struggled more since Manu started (2 games so its hard to see if there is a correlation).
That's true, but his defense and rebounding is better. Maybe Pop can reward him with some starts and some shots from Manu.
Or let him lead the second unit.
Old 03-11-10, 12:03 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

i don't agree with this,,, but i defn feel like Pop won't let Hairston start b/c, since he's all about trying to manage "psyche", he will prob feel like Jokerson will become utterly useless if he makes a move that puts Hairston in the starting lineup.

now, we can joke around and debate that Jokerson is already utterly useless... but i guess there ARE some contributions and they could be even worse if he takes a "psyche" hit.

so thats why hairston wont start. i dont' agree with this.

i mean, i think there's just as much a chance that this kind of move will only make Jokerson play Better... light a fire. and if it doesn't, well then it only proves that you make the right decisions moving someone else into the starting lineup.

We wanted a younger and more athletic 3... that can defend, but doesn't get in the way of the set offensive schemes... well, we thought it would be RJ, but maybe its Hairston... doesn't he fit in perfectly... I think the position was MADE for a SF that you expect nothing from offensively b/c they are basically out of the equation in the set offense except for hitting open threes.

well, Hairston shoudln't be expecting the ball. he can go out there and get those great reboudns and putbacks and hustle plays w/ athletic "umph" while playing defense. if he tries to get "Cutesie"... yank him... Bogans can take over easily... and THAT is the proper use of using a Veteran. Bogans doesn't give us anything... except stability IF ... IF needed. someone that sits behind Hairston and says, u try to get cute and "takeover" and start missing D assignments and your out.
Old 03-11-10, 12:37 PM

well it could go either way with Jefferson and Hairston. the thing about Hairston and Jefferson is you can slide Hairston to the SG spot and keep RJ at the 3. that'd get RJ out of defensive stopper duties when Hill isn't on the floor. Hairston did the little things last game, put backs and blocks. he seems hungry and that's what we need on this team