News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-09, 08:35 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Can someone explain the FGA differential

Why do we constantly have less field goal attempts than our opponent? I think it was 5 less last night.

As of right now we're 3rd from the bottom in FGA differential, but we're outrebounding our opponents... ft's are about even.

I dont quite understand what the cause of that is. almost 4 less shots attempts per night.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-30-09, 09:42 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Ofensive rebounds by the oppositon and turnovers by the Spurs add up to more shots for the other team. Last night the wolves and Love in particular got offensive rebounds.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-30-09, 09:43 AM
SpursReport Team Member

They take more shots than we do!!
Old 12-30-09, 09:49 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Did we get to the FT line more often than Minny?
Old 12-30-09, 10:40 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjjrfan View Post
Ofensive rebounds by the oppositon and turnovers by the Spurs add up to more shots for the other team. Last night the wolves and Love in particular got offensive rebounds.
We have more Offensive Rebounds than our opponents. We also have more FT attempts. We do have 2 more to's per game... I guess thats it... but somehow it seems like there must be something systematic about it -- last night the offensive rebounds were tie, and TO's were tie. This happens almost every night, its a curious stat.
Old 12-30-09, 12:56 PM
The Master Baiter

It's Tony's fault...kidding.

My thought would be that the Wolves being a young team, they probably had more attempted fast breaks or more bad/quick shots. If you look at a game like the Boston game, which we lost, they attempted 78 shots and the Spurs attempted 88. They had a higher FG% than we did.
Old 12-30-09, 01:51 PM
The Eternal Optimist

Along the same line, what is the % made and number missed? Usuaually as mentioned, if you win the turnover battle and the rebound battle you should have more attemps since you have more possessions. apossession with two or three offensive rebounds and still no basket can really skew things
Old 12-30-09, 02:58 PM
SR's Resident Laker Hater

It's damn voodoo I tell you.

Spurs wins, Lakers suck

It's the simple things that only matter.
Old 12-30-09, 03:24 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

remember those shots that en outbonds... or above the rim, or those that end with a foul...
The Spurs won because of Tim Duncan, a guy I could never break. I could talk trash to Patrick Ewing, get in David Robinson’s face, get a rise out of Alonzo Mourning, but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and then say, “Hey, Shaq, watch this shot right here off the glass.” Shaquille O'Neal on Tim duncan.
Old 12-30-09, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWest View Post
It's damn voodoo I tell you.

Spurs wins, Lakers suck

It's the simple things that only matter.
Old 12-30-09, 05:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

You would also have to keep a close eye on the free throws stat. If you have a decided edge in free throws compared to your opposition, then you could potentially have less field goal attempts.
Old 12-31-09, 12:58 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith3503 View Post
We have more Offensive Rebounds than our opponents. We also have more FT attempts. We do have 2 more to's per game... I guess thats it... but somehow it seems like there must be something systematic about it -- last night the offensive rebounds were tie, and TO's were tie. This happens almost every night, its a curious stat.
Against Minnesota the Spurs took 5 less FGA and shot 6 more FT. You can roughly translate the 6FT to 3 possessions so you have only 2 FGA to explain. PErhaps the Puppies had more And 1s, which might explain the remaining 2 FGA differential.