SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   I don't believe in what Pop just did (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/80930-i-dont-believe-what-pop-just-did.html)

rodstriker 12-29-09 10:06 PM

I don't believe in what Pop just did

That was awful. Manu would've gotten his triple double with 2 more minutes. You know, a guy like him (32), he played greatly throughout his career, has been really close to triple doubles, never had one. Pop couldn't have done it :banghead

cheesehead4spurs 12-29-09 10:10 PM

I was really ticked at Pop for doing that even though we knew he would pull him. That would have been icing on Manu's career.

my2sons 12-29-09 10:15 PM

broadcast team stated that pop asked manu if he wanted to go back in for the triple double, and manu declined

Dulce 12-29-09 10:16 PM

Yes that pretty much sucked.

cheesehead4spurs 12-29-09 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my2sons (Post 1178000)
broadcast team stated that pop asked manu if he wanted to go back in for the triple double, and manu declined

I had to turn away from the game and didn't hear that. In that case, I guess it is ok. But his fans would have loved to see it. Maybe it's precognition. Maybe it saved Manu from some injury. .. Ya, that's what I am going to believe. Manu, we love ya.

polk 12-29-09 10:22 PM

Fans need those accolades. Manu and Pop know the type of player he is. It isn't important. Manu's resume is complete. A triple double wouldn't add anything to his career.

cheesehead4spurs 12-29-09 10:27 PM

You' re probably right. I was just envisioning the icing on the cake--the cherry on the top of the sundae. Maybe I should just go to the fridge :)

Rzarector7 12-29-09 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polk (Post 1178005)
Fans need those accolades. Manu and Pop know the type of player he is. It isn't important. Manu's resume is complete. A triple double wouldn't add anything to his career.

^^^^^^ This, now go out and get another title!!!!!

autumn20 12-29-09 10:48 PM

wtf! pop uses manu as bench player so he should have let him finish the game. BHE POP SUCKS! (BIG HEADED EGO) WHAT WAS MANU GONNA SAY WHEN POP ASKED IF HE CARED ABOUT THE STATS IN FRONT OF WHOLE TEAM! HE SUCKS!

mckennaspur1 12-29-09 10:49 PM

I have the highest regard for what Manu and Pop decided.

Imagine the message being sent to young players when a star of Manu's stature blows off the chance at a great stat in an otherwise meaningless game in December. Manu, Pop and the Spur vets are all about one accomplishment, and that doesn't get achieved tilJune.

I am very proud of this team.

ProjectGSX 12-29-09 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my2sons (Post 1178000)

Yeah Pop sucks for listening to Manu. Wait, what?

Quote:

Originally Posted by autumn20 (Post 1178010)
wtf! pop uses manu as bench player so he should have let him finish the game. BHE POP SUCKS! (BIG HEADED EGO) WHAT WAS MANU GONNA SAY WHEN POP ASKED IF HE CARED ABOUT THE STATS IN FRONT OF WHOLE TEAM! HE SUCKS!

Exactly. Manu was only pretending to be a team-first player who has his eyes on the big prize. He is really a closet stat-whore.

You people are crazy.

autumn20 12-29-09 10:56 PM

MANU WAS INTIMATED BY A CONTROL FREAK.

autumn20 12-29-09 10:58 PM

ONE REBOUND COULD HAVEBEEN HAD IN LESS THAN 30 SECS! WHATEVER!

FairWeatherFan 12-29-09 11:24 PM

A triple double wouldn't change any minds about who Manu is for both people who like or hate him.

They got a win (3 in a row now). Lets enjoy that for now.

ginopark 12-29-09 11:37 PM

I don't think Manu gives a rats ass about the triple double. Thanks Manu for giving us the most entertaining game of the season. He demoed his mastery of basketball tonight. Everybody knows how great he can be when he decides to take over games like tonight so the triple double means NOTHING.

Only Manu can make Nash look like an amateur.

Jose_TheGenius 12-29-09 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autumn20 (Post 1178014)
MANU WAS INTIMATED BY A CONTROL FREAK.

oh yeah and Duncan was scared when he woulda had a quadruple double in the playoffs right? gimme a break, we're not shooting for regular season wins.

pjjrfan 12-30-09 12:22 AM

I'm just glad Manu is starting to be the old manu we love and is a terror to the opposition. And I think Manu only cares about being able to grow from this game and just get consistently great. I liked that he said he is working on getting to the rim, at least I know that he isn't being in denial, and is looking to get his full game back.

The Augustus 12-30-09 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autumn20 (Post 1178015)
ONE REBOUND COULD HAVEBEEN HAD IN LESS THAN 30 SECS! WHATEVER!

:richb Who cares? It doesn't matter! If Manu wanted it, he could have had it. That's why Pop extended the offer. As for Manu supposedly "looking bad" and appearing as a "stat whore" (some person's word choice not mine), the team ENCOURAGED Manu to go for the triple double and he again refused. Manu is the epitome of a Spurs player!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginopark (Post 1178021)
I don't think Manu gives a rats ass about the triple double. Thanks Manu for giving us the most entertaining game of the season. He demoed his mastery of basketball tonight. Everybody knows how great he can be when he decides to take over games like tonight so the triple double means NOTHING.

Only Manu can make Nash look like an amateur.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1178023)
oh yeah and Duncan was scared when he woulda had a quadruple double in the playoffs right? gimme a break, we're not shooting for regular season wins.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana

airmanu20 12-30-09 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodstriker (Post 1177997)
That was awful. Manu would've gotten his triple double with 2 more minutes. You know, a guy like him (32), he played greatly throughout his career, has been really close to triple doubles, never had one. Pop couldn't have done it :banghead

Man I can't believe you complained about this!!! First of all that was a smart thing that Pop did to sit Manu when basically the game has been won. Pop is basically looking out for Manu, Imagine a situation where Manu stays for that final 2 min just for Stats, and then gets injured. Whats important is we got the win. Pop knows what he's doing. Another thing Manu doesnt care about "Triple Double" just check his post game interview. He knows his priorities and that is to stay healthy!!! so stop complaining!!!!

Stosky 12-30-09 02:34 AM

a triple double against the timberwolves, im sure that would be the highlight of his career

maddog 12-30-09 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polk (Post 1178005)

KAD 12-30-09 08:01 AM

Pop did the right thing to ask Manu and Manu did the even more righteous thing to say ... naw..

billsmith3503 12-30-09 08:28 AM

Manu was awesome last night. As a consolation to the trible double, he did manage to get the play of the day on ESPN....

spurs7794 12-30-09 08:52 AM

Manu was awesome...he had probably 9 out of his 10 best plays of the year in last nights game.

BTW its hilarious how some people get slighted by the stupidest things. Especially when Pop asked Manu if he wanted to stay in.

old timer 12-30-09 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airmanu20 (Post 1178029)
Man I can't believe you complained about this!!! First of all that was a smart thing that Pop did to sit Manu when basically the game has been won. Pop is basically looking out for Manu, Imagine a situation where Manu stays for that final 2 min just for Stats, and then gets injured. Whats important is we got the win. Pop knows what he's doing. Another thing Manu doesnt care about "Triple Double" just check his post game interview. He knows his priorities and that is to stay healthy!!! so stop complaining!!!!

Beat me to it. Given Manu is finally rounding into shape, why risk the injury? Manu would rather stay healthy and take his chances on something like this happening in the flow of a meaningful game I am sure.

JTD 12-30-09 09:39 AM

Until someone matches what Oscar Robertson did in one season, the stat is meaningless!!! Made more important than it is by ESPN and their hype machine! :)

lena1102 12-30-09 10:10 AM

When I first read this thread I thought it was a joke. Stats are a big deal to the fans, Manu looked like his old self, that's even better than any stat.

j_chantana 12-30-09 11:39 AM

lo siento, but whoever thinks that a triple double against a below .500 team in december is the icing on the cake of a career that has seen 3 nba championships, a gold medal in the olympics, and countless european accolades just knows nothing about basketball.

alh1020 12-30-09 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billsmith3503 (Post 1178038)
Manu was awesome last night. As a consolation to the trible double, he did manage to get the play of the day on ESPN....

To me personally, if I had read Manu had gotten a triple double against the Wolves, I wouldn't have given it much thought afterwards. But having seen the game and seeing the 'Play of the Day' on ESPN, that little segment was probably more embedded in the minds of more fans and would be talked about much longer than the triple double. And that be the truth, IMHO.

JuanCaca 12-30-09 12:42 PM

well, manu doesnt care... check this...

cheesehead4spurs 12-30-09 01:52 PM

You guys are right and I agree. The icing comment was mine and said in a moment of passion. I really should have just gone to the fridge for a piece of cake. But dayam, it was a thrill.

Daragon 12-30-09 02:01 PM

You guys are still watching these games??? Let's not raise blood pressure for the many reasons that the Spurs Teams of this decade have done and put us through. There is no reason to panic at this time. Let us wait until May to worry about stats and accomplishments.

BoerneAg54 12-30-09 02:10 PM

A win is a win, that's all Manu cares about. And really, when all is said and done, that's all we, as spurs fans, care about. I'm happy for the win, oh well that Manu didn't pick up one more rebound, he still had a phenomal game and helped us win.

j_chantana 12-30-09 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesehead4spurs (Post 1178079)
You guys are right and I agree. The icing comment was mine and said in a moment of passion. I really should have just gone to the fridge for a piece of cake. But dayam, it was a thrill.

ugh now i feel bad. i didn't realize the quote was from you cheesehead, one of the biggest spurs fans on this board.

FunkySpur 12-30-09 11:02 PM

He's baaack!

Interestingly, Manu stated that the triple double focus is unique to the States, so his perspective on the game is much broader than ours. This is what I love about the guy! He gives and gives and gives, ignoring our narrow focus on stats, caring about nothing but the ultimate reward --a championship. As far as I'm concerned, his performance was masterful, and had me giddy about his return to greatness for this year's run. Charles Barkley says it best: GINOBILI!!!!

spurscrazed 12-31-09 12:37 AM

Pop did what he had to do is to pull Manu out when it was not more needed that he stays in.

I doubt Manu would care about such stats..... Manu is a winning machine and all he cares about is WINNING. Just my own observation on how the mind of this champion works. Especially in a Spurs uniform who only care about hard work and staying under that radar then laughing all the way to the bank in the PO when they win the BIGGER prize...:wink

Nevertheless, it was one of the best career games for Manu. One game to be remembered for a long time. Amazing Job by Manu!!!Brought such joy to everyone!!Thanks Manu!!!!:hat

cheesehead4spurs 12-31-09 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j_chantana (Post 1178084)
ugh now i feel bad. i didn't realize the quote was from you cheesehead, one of the biggest spurs fans on this board.

LOL, no reason for distress.

I can't say I am one of the biggest fans here. But I am the biggest fan in Madison, WI :)

Take care and be safe.