News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 12-05-09, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Nuggets-Spurs Preview / Game Thread

Nuggets-Spurs Preview

A poor-first round performance kept San Antonio from facing the Denver Nuggets in the 2009 playoffs. The Spurs lost the little momentum they had hoped to carry into the teams' first contest of this season.

The Spurs, who were starting to come around after a sluggish start, look to bounce back from their first loss in six games as they host the Nuggets on Saturday night.

A second-round series between second-seeded Denver and third-seeded San Antonio was expected to be one of the most compelling matchups of last season's playoffs, but the Spurs lost to Dallas in five games in the opening round. The Nuggets would advance to the Western Conference finals before losing to the eventual champion Los Angeles Lakers.

Denver (14-5) is again establishing itself among the conference's top teams, leading the Southwest Division by 2 1/2 games. San Antonio (9-7), meanwhile, won five straight following a 4-6 start, but had its streak end Thursday night in a 90-83 home loss to Boston.

Coach Gregg Popovich acknowledged that contest was somewhat of a litmus test. Only four of the nine teams San Antonio has beaten have had winning records.

The Spurs were sloppy against one of the league's best teams, committing 18 turnovers while having their worst shooting game of the season from the free-throw line (7 of 17) and 3-point range (2 of 16).

"They're not going to hang their heads," Popovich said. "They're going to continue to play hard, but we know full well that we're making too many mental errors in games."

A bright spot for San Antonio was its play in the paint, outrebounding Boston 55-32. Led by Tim Duncan and rookie DeJuan Blair, the Spurs had a season-high 20 offensive rebounds.

Duncan had 15 rebounds but committed six turnovers. Blair had a career-high 18 points and 11 boards.

Blair, a second-round pick, had 11 points and 10 rebounds in a 97-89 win over Philadelphia on Sunday night, giving him consecutive double-doubles for the first time.

"I am getting more comfortable every day," Blair said. "My teammates are doing great at helping in situations when I don't know what to do. I am just listening and asking questions. We are going to fight back from this and try to get a win on Saturday."

San Antonio, allowing 96.1 points per game, has its hands full against a Denver team that has averaged 116.3 over its last seven contests, winning six. The Nuggets shot 52.9 percent (9 for 17) from 3-point range in a 114-96 win over Miami on Thursday night.

Denver, though, is kicking off a four-game stretch on the road, where it lost four of five before a 124-111 victory at Minnesota on Nov. 25 in its most recent road game.

Nuggets star Carmelo Anthony is shooting 42.9 percent from the field on the road, compared to 54.0 percent at home. Anthony, who leads the NBA with 30.2 points per game, is the only player in the league to score at least 20 in every game this season.

"It's a cool streak. Hopefully I'll keep it going," Anthony said.

Anthony is averaging 17.0 points - 7.4 below his career average - and shooting 37.1 percent in his last nine games at San Antonio.

The Nuggets won two of three games against the Spurs last season, including a 91-81 victory in the only meeting in San Antonio.

Old 12-05-09, 10:48 AM
NBA Ref Wrangler

NBA.com - Referee Assignments
Dec 5, 2009
Denver @ San Antonio--Ron Garretson, Tony Brothers, Phil Robinson

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
---Winston Churchill (1903)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-05-09, 01:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

one word DEFENSE, If we play great defense we win this game.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-05-09, 01:57 PM
2012 Eastern Conference Champion

Why do they have to play during College Football Big 12 Championship? I hope they are showing the game out in the courtyard.
Old 12-05-09, 03:03 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Spurs 103
Nuggs 101
Old 12-05-09, 11:05 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

To many turnovers and no defense.

This team is struggling and it has nothing to do w/ injuries.
Old 12-05-09, 11:35 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_50 View Post
To many turnovers and no defense.

This team is struggling and it has nothing to do w/ injuries.
Same thing every game.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 12-05-09, 11:45 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_50 View Post
To many turnovers and no defense. This team is struggling and it has nothing to do w/ injuries.
I have to agree -- we're scoring the points but you can't win if you give up that many turnovers consistently. If the high turnover rate occurred in a couple games, I could understand, but this is happening every night. It's got to stop.
Old 12-06-09, 09:38 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Notes:

Spurs committed 19 turnovers for the game. In the last three games the Spurs committed 17, 19, and now 19 turnovers.
Spurs shot 47% for the game.
Parker led the way with 27 points while Duncan dropped in 26 points.
Spurs bench scored 34 points for the game.
Reports said Finley suffered a sprained ankle and did not return to the game.
Antonio McDyess had yet another horrible game. He did not score but had six rebounds.
Spurs went 7-21 from the three-point line shooting 33%.
Carmelo Anthony led the way for the Nuggets with 34 points
Spurs vs. Nuggets Recap

Finely is hurt?
Old 12-06-09, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Yep he's hurt. What I wonder is who is taping all these ankles? Who ever it is needs to be fired.
Old 12-06-09, 11:00 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

does that mean we recall Malik?
Old 12-06-09, 11:57 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

This team needs a shot in the arm. They look OLD, slow and confused on defense.

And McDyess has been nonexistent the last three games.
Old 12-06-09, 02:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII View Post
Spurs vs. Nuggets Recap

Finely is hurt?
he looked like he messed up his ankle while playing defense. i'm actually not worried, and think this could be a good thing if it means we bring Hairston back. yeah, that's how bad it's gotten for me... i'm almost satisfied certain guys got injured so others can get minutes. Finley was doing well in making shots during limited minutes, but he's such a major liability on defense. Pop's gotta call back Hairston and let him, if he expects to keep limiting Manu's minutes.