News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 11-12-09, 01:04 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Hornets fire Scott

New Orleans Hornets fire Byron Scott, according to NBA sources - ESPN

sorry if i missed this.
The New Orleans Hornets have responded to their 3-6 start by making the first coaching change of the young NBA season, firing Byron Scott on Thursday, according to NBA coaching sources.

Sources said the Hornets made the decision to dismiss Scott following New Orleans' 124-104 loss in Phoenix on Wednesday night and will formally announce the move later Thursday.

Scott

A league source told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that the Hornets will name general Jeff Bower as Scott's replacement and hire veteran coach Tim Floyd as his top assistant.

Scott won NBA Coach of the Year honors in 2008 after he and franchise point guard Chris Paul led the Hornets to a 56-26 record and the Southwest Division title. The Hornets then defeated Dallas in the first round of the playoffs and were within one win of the West finals before losing Game 7 at home to the San Antonio Spurs.

The Hornets slumped slightly to a 49-33 record last season, thanks partly to a flurry of injuries. They were pounded in the first round of the playoffs by Denver, losing the final home game of the season -- Game 4 of the series -- by a whopping 58 points.

Scott hung onto his job after the early exit but couldn't survive New Orleans' poor start, even though the many holes on the Hornets' roster -- with no consistent scorer at the wing positions and little depth -- appeared to be beyond his control. A number of league observers considered a coaching change inevitable if the Hornets struggled this season.

The firing is the second major move the Hornets have made since the end of last season in an attempt to address Paul's growing frustrations. In July, New Orleans sent center Tyson Chandler, who was plagued by foot problems throughout last season, to the Charlotte Bobcats for Emeka Okafor.

The team's payroll is more than $3 million over the league's $69.9 million luxury-tax threshold, making owner George Shinn reluctant to sanction further roster renovations. The Hornets have been trying to make moves to get under the luxury-tax line since acquiring Okafor, as opposed to searching for players who can bolster Paul's supporting cast.
Old 11-12-09, 01:06 PM
Delusional Manu Lover

Sources: Hornets fire Scott!!!!

New Orleans Hornets fire Byron Scott, according to NBA sources - ESPN

The [COLOR=#225fb2]New Orleans Hornets[/COLOR] have responded to their 3-6 start by making the first coaching change of the young NBA season, firing [COLOR=#225fb2]Byron Scott[/COLOR] on Thursday, according to NBA coaching sources.
Sources said the Hornets made the decision to dismiss Scott following New Orleans' 124-104 loss in [COLOR=#225fb2]Phoenix[/COLOR] on Wednesday night and will formally announce the move later Thursday.

Scott

A league source told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that the Hornets will name general Jeff Bower as Scott's replacement and hire veteran coach Tim Floyd as his top assistant.
Scott won NBA Coach of the Year honors in 2008 after he and franchise point guard [COLOR=#225fb2]Chris Paul[/COLOR] led the Hornets to a 56-26 record and the Southwest Division title. The Hornets then defeated [COLOR=#225fb2]Dallas[/COLOR] in the first round of the playoffs and were within one win of the West finals before losing Game 7 at home to the [COLOR=#225fb2]San Antonio Spurs[/COLOR].
The Hornets slumped slightly to a 49-33 record last season, thanks partly to a flurry of injuries. They were pounded in the first round of the playoffs by [COLOR=#225fb2]Denver[/COLOR], losing the final home game of the season -- Game 4 of the series -- by a whopping 58 points.
Scott hung onto his job after the early exit but couldn't survive New Orleans' poor start, even though the many holes on the Hornets' roster -- with no consistent scorer at the wing positions and little depth -- appeared to be beyond his control. A number of league observers considered a coaching change inevitable if the Hornets struggled this season.
The firing is the second major move the Hornets have made since the end of last season in an attempt to address Paul's growing frustrations. In July, New Orleans sent center [COLOR=#225fb2]Tyson Chandler[/COLOR], who was plagued by foot problems throughout last season, to the [COLOR=#225fb2]Charlotte Bobcats[/COLOR] for [COLOR=#225fb2]Emeka Okafor[/COLOR].
The team's payroll is more than $3 million over the league's $69.9 million luxury-tax threshold, making owner George Shinn reluctant to sanction further roster renovations. The Hornets have been trying to make moves to get under the luxury-tax line since acquiring Okafor, as opposed to searching for players who can bolster Paul's supporting cast.
Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher contributed to this report.

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-12-09, 01:07 PM
Administrator

You can bet baby Chris Paul had a lot to do with this.
Old 11-12-09, 02:55 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

BS.....Scott is a great coach. Bad decision on NO part
Old 11-12-09, 03:04 PM

i believe he was in a no win situation with this team. they should have traded West and kept Chandler. Okeafor doesn't fit that system. West & Emeka need the ball and so does Paul.
Old 11-12-09, 03:06 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Scott does wear out his welcome, and his voice is easy for players to tune out.

But the Hornets have made some very strange personnel decisions since taking the Spurs to 7 games a few years ago. Nobody was going to take that roster back to near-elite status.

Big problems in NO. Scott is taking the hit for the moment, but the franchise needs a new vision to get past this tough stretch. BTW, how long is Paul contracted to the Hornets?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-12-09, 03:12 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Yeah, I'm not so sure this is one you just pigeonhole into CP3 or management being upset about the 3-6 start which was out of Scott's control.

Scott has that reputation of being a coach who can come in for a few years and coach a team to a high level, but who just doesn't have it in him to sustain it more than 2-3 years.

And they do have problems at the wing positions, but that's not the biggest reason they're 3-6, IMO. They just don't look together and don't play good defense, which shouldn't be an issue.
Old 11-12-09, 03:15 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulce View Post
You can bet baby Chris Paul had a lot to do with this.
:applause
CP's reached a new level of superstardom now that he's gotten a coach fired.

Also, not too many go from Coach of the Year to out on your butt in a year and a half. So this is an achievement for both parties. :applause
Old 11-12-09, 03:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

He's taking the fall for a untalented team. Its not his fault that the team has horrible 2/3 players and no bench.
Old 11-12-09, 03:30 PM
2012 Eastern Conference Champion

Byron Scott is an excellent coach. Spurs should pick him up and make him an assistant
Old 11-12-09, 03:34 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MULLETINO View Post
Byron Scott is an excellent coach. Spurs should pick him up and make him an assistant
Or the third point guard.
Old 11-12-09, 03:39 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Thats business
Old 11-12-09, 03:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairWeatherFan View Post
:applause
CP's reached a new level of superstardom now that he's gotten a coach fired.

Also, not too many go from Coach of the Year to out on your butt in a year and a half. So this is an achievement for both parties. :applause
See Jonhson, Avery... Mitchell, Sam .... Brown, Hubie....

Coach of the Year is the kiss of death for a head coach the last few years.
Old 11-12-09, 03:55 PM
The Master Baiter

Good coach, but like most coaches, he wore his welcome with his young players. That is what makes Pop such a special coach, same with Phil Jackson. He adapts his coaching style to each player, even as they mature.
Old 11-12-09, 04:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunc n Dave View Post

Rick Carlisle as well, with the Pistons if I recall correctly.
Old 11-12-09, 04:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I feel for the guy but I think everyone saw this coming.
Old 11-12-09, 05:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I remember watching a playoff game two years ago. It must have been during the NO-Dallas series when Reggie Miller and a few of the other commentators were talking about the Hornets and Byron Scott's Coach of the Year Award. In response to this, Reggie Miller told Byron to WATCH OUT. He made the claim that winning the COY made that same coach susceptable to being fired. He named off almost a dozen coachs that had won the award and then subsequently been fired/let go. I can't help but agree with him now (I realized this is vague and doesn't apply in ALL cases but still...quite interesting).
Old 11-12-09, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
Or the third point guard.
Old 11-12-09, 07:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Here is an interesting article by statistician skeptical of NO before the season even started.

Is This the Beginning of the Tragedy of Chris Paul?
October 13, 2009 · 23 Comments
One of the very first columns posted in this forum was “The Tragedy of Kevin Garnett.” For years KG was the most productive player in the NBA. And for years, the Minnesota Timberwolves surrounded KG with relatively poor players. Consequently, Garnett could never experience the playoff success enjoyed by players like Kobe Bryant; a fact that led some to conclude Kobe is actually more productive than Garnett (yes, I know, kind of silly).

Now a similar story is taking place in New Orleans. For each of the past two seasons Chris Paul has led the NBA in Wins Produced. In 2007-08, Paul produced 25.4 wins while his teammates produced 29.7. Such a combination was sufficient to win 55 games, although had Paul been merely average (average WP48 is 0.100), then the Hornets would have only won 36 games (and missed the playoffs).

Last season – as Table One reveals – Paul was even better. His 28.2 Wins Produced led the league. And as I noted a few weeks ago, when you consider standard deviations above average, Paul’s 2008-09 performance was the best the NBA has seen since the days of Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson.

Table One: New Orleans Hornets in 2008-09 (you will have to go to the article to see Table One. I can not seem to get the links to work.)

Unfortunately, Paul’s teammates were very bad. Everyone not named CP3 only produced 16.7 wins for the Hornets in 2008-09. So if one replaced Paul with an average player, the Hornets ranked among the very worst teams in the league.

This past summer changes were made to the Hornets roster. The big move was trading Tyson Chandler for Emeka Okafor. Here is what I said when this trade was announced:

…Chandler has been traded to the Bobcats for Emeka Okafor.

John Hollinger made the following comment on this trade (Insider access required): …Okafor is the better player. Both players consistently have been honorable mentions in my all-defense picks, but Okafor is the superior scorer. That might not be saying much — both players are somewhat limited offensively — but Okafor can score on post-ups occasionally and make short bank shots, while Chandler’s range ends at the charge circle. Over the past three seasons, Okafor has averaged nearly five more points per 40 minutes — that’s big.

If we look at the past three seasons, Chandler has a 0.230 WP48 [Wins Produced per 48 minutes] while Okafor has a 0.222 WP48. If we focus on just the 2006-07 and 2007-08 seasons, though, Chandler trumps Okafor 0.271 to 0.235. Again, Chandler – primarily because of injury – had a poor season last year. If Chandler is now healthy it’s more than possible that the Bobcats come out ahead on this deal. At least, that appears to be true if we look past scoring.

Let me also note that if we focus solely on 2008-09, Okafor did offer more. In other words, it’s likely that Okafor in 2009-10 will do more than Chandler did last season. The Hornets, though, didn’t stop with this move. They also added Darius Songaila [-0.8 Wins Produced, -0.024 WP48] and Bobby Brown [-2.6 Wins Produced, -0.136 WP48]. Both Songaila and B. Brown were among the least productive players in 2008-09. So these moves are probably not going to help. The addition of these players gives the Hornets the following depth chart:

Potential First String

PG: Chris Paul [28.2 Wins Produced, 0.451 WP48]

SG: James Posey [5.0 Wins Produced, 0.111 WP48]

SF: Julian Wright [0.9 Wins Produced, 0.054 WP48]

PF: David West [6.5 Wins Produced, 0.105 WP48]

C: Emeka Okafor [11.0 Wins Produced, 0.196 WP48]

Potential Second String

PG: Darren Collison [rookie] or Bobby Brown [-2.6 Wins Produced, -0.136 WP48]

SG: Devin Brown [-0.3 Wins Produced, -0.015 WP48]

SF: Peja Stojakovic [1.9 Wins Produced, 0.044 WP48]

PF: Darius Songaila [-0.8 Wins Produced, -0.024 WP48]

C: Hilton Armstrong [-2.6 Wins Produced, -0.115 WP48]

Chris Paul note the following about this team:“This might be the deepest team we’ve had since I’ve been here.”

When we consider Wins Produced, though, we see a different story. The Hornets currently have one amazing player in Paul, one very good player in Okafor, two players who are close to average (Posey and West), and then a collection of players that are well below average. In sum, I think this team is better than what we saw last season. But I don’t think this team is as good as it was in 2007-08. Yes, it is possible Julian Wright can play better (or just play the entire season). And Posey, Stojakovic, and D. Brown have played better before 2008-09. Still, when we compare the Hornets to the other top teams in the West (i.e. Lakers, Blazers, Spurs, Mavericks, Jazz, and Nuggets), I think New Orleans – despite having the very best player in the league – come up short.

One wonders how long this will continue. Paul is only 24 years old and signed through the 2011-12 season. So New Orleans does have some time to truly build “a deep team” around Paul. It’s possible, though, that we are seeing a replay of the KG story. After 12 seasons of struggling in Minnesota, Garnett was finally traded to Boston where he won his first title. For KG, this happened when he was 31 years old. Will Paul have to wait this long?

The Wages of Wins Journal

Last edited by bills0; 11-12-09 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-12-09, 07:27 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
Scott does wear out his welcome, and his voice is easy for players to tune out.
Byron Scott is like Larry Brown in that people can only tolerate their personalities for so long.
Old 11-12-09, 07:38 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills0 View Post
Last season – as Table One reveals – Paul was even better. His 28.2 Wins Produced led the league. And as I noted a few weeks ago, when you consider standard deviations above average, Paul’s 2008-09 performance was the best the NBA has seen since the days of Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson.
comparing Chris Paul to Jordan and Magic.

This is why statistics can be used as a tool but they can't be the be all and end all for player evaluation. Chris Paul can't touch Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson as a player. He's simply not the winner and leader that they were. Those guys had intangibles that players like Chris Paul can't touch. Jordan and Magic are two of the greatest winners in the history of basketball. Chris Paul has achieved nothing but stats. Chris Paul had better stats last year than Magic Johnson had as a rookie, but Magic was a finals MVP that carried his team on his back to a championship in his rookie season. That's far more impressive than a stat sheet.

Last edited by maldoror; 11-12-09 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-12-09, 10:41 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

This is sort of what happened in NJ too. Once Eddie Jordan left as the main assistant, the team dropped off by a lot. Shortly after he was fired. I think Scott has improved as a coach since then, but I think some of his abilities are still questionable.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 11-13-09, 07:15 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

Very true. Mike Brown should watch his back. No COY is probably the reason Jerry Sloan has lasted as long as he has.
Old 11-13-09, 09:01 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

Wow, when you put it that way then I guess it was only a matter of time.
Old 11-13-09, 01:40 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldoror View Post
comparing Chris Paul to Jordan and Magic.

This is why statistics can be used as a tool but they can't be the be all and end all for player evaluation. Chris Paul can't touch Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson as a player. He's simply not the winner and leader that they were. Those guys had intangibles that players like Chris Paul can't touch. Jordan and Magic are two of the greatest winners in the history of basketball. Chris Paul has achieved nothing but stats. Chris Paul had better stats last year than Magic Johnson had as a rookie, but Magic was a finals MVP that carried his team on his back to a championship in his rookie season. That's far more impressive than a stat sheet.

Well, that is an opinion shared but some people, but not me.
That peception is the subject of the series. Kevin Garnet showed, statistically, that he was on of the best players in the league year after year. But the Timberwolves went nowhere because the rest of the talent on the team was weak. Then he gets traded to Boston and all of a sudden he wins a championship. So the question is why? Did he all of a sudden become a "winner and leader"? Or was it due to having better teammates?

I decided long ago that basketball has one of the best balances between individual stars and teamwork. Very few teams have won championships without major stars on their rosters. But likewise, having stars on your team is rarely enough to carry you though to a championship, unless you have good player surrounding him.
Old 11-13-09, 02:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think CHris Paul is just acting to lay the ground work to get out of NO

Sith
Old 11-13-09, 04:34 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
I think CHris Paul is just acting to lay the ground work to get out of NO

Sith
He has 3 more years (including this one) before he can opt out.
I would be shocked to see him go the SJax route. Stranger things have happened, but I would expect NO dumping the contract before I would see CP3 whining in the press.

3 years is a long time, though. Especially if you are spending the prime of your career losing 3 out of 5 games.
Old 11-13-09, 05:00 PM
SpursReport Team Member

They probably got tired of him showing his LA championship rings.
Is our defense that good? I think so. And the scary part is that the whole team seems to take a sadistic pride in shutting people down. What is Pop feeding them? They looked brainwashed out there, a single minded machine that just eats up their opponents. -----pjrfan