News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 11-06-09, 09:48 AM
SpursReport Rookie

surprised at jefferson

i was really surprised at jefferson last nite how he was really not attacking the basket..i kept waiting for him to make something happen but he just seemed like he would rather hang around the perimeter..even Ginobili did that..but i really think we could of used a little more help from jefferson..i know it is still early but i was really expecting him to have a stronger start...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-06-09, 10:48 AM
SpursReport Rookie

richard jokerson

I am surprised myself. I can understand that hes sstil gettin used to his new teamates but for one he seems to have started the season not in shape. It looks like he is a couple of pounds heavier han normal and he seems to be really sluggish. Doesnt look like he worked out in the offseason at all. I was expecting more explosivenes from him. Maybe he'll start steppin up his game when hes in better condition. If not why not trade him for a disgruntled GS warrior named S Jackson!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-06-09, 10:58 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I think people expected a bit much out of him. I noticed he had lost his explosiveness last season with Milwaukee. He shot a lot of three's last season for them. He just looks like he's stuck between trying to be a scorer and trying to find a role on the team. Once he gets more comfortable in the system he'll start playing well again. Too much panicking going on around this forum.
Old 11-06-09, 11:03 AM
Dead Man Walking

I like sjax better than Jefferson, but I'm sure he will step up his game.
Old 11-06-09, 11:07 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

The Jazz inside men looked great last night. Maybe Jeff saw the tough defense and decided to avoid the crunch?
Old 11-06-09, 11:46 AM
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie

The way the nba has our schedule is moronic, start the season off with a back to back, then four days off followed by another back to back??? what the hell, I'm not going to blame the spurs for being a little out of sync last night, they need to get into a routine, and thats almost impossible with the start of their schedule. and to be fair to RJ, everyone looked like crap last night, and we were still in the game.
Old 11-06-09, 12:31 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

I didn't think he played that bad. He had decent (not great) game. Had a couple drives where he went to the line. He looked a little sluggish at times but I'll give him slack for now, it's only the 4th game.......now if we could just get rid of Bonner
Old 11-06-09, 01:36 PM
SpursReport Rookie

im not panicking..it was just an observation and i dont think it is unexpected that a lot of us thought that he was gonna come out strong out of the gates...
Old 11-06-09, 01:48 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

We were not aggressive last night--maybe everyone had the Heinie Flu. I know that we can play, but last night we didn't have the under-the-basket presence. It is interesting to look at the box score--They hit more than we did, but it wasn't a rebound blow-out, fouls were fairly even (if not questionable) and we hit 3s. But like last year, when some of the 3s were attempted, there was no one on the backside of the basket to rebound them. That was a pattern that I saw a lot last year and thought it may have been remedied when I saw more people going for the o-reb in an earlier game this season.

As for RJ, I still want to cut him some slack until he picks up our playbook.

And the Jazz were playing pretty well last night. This all made for some lousy viewing times for our fans.

We need to have a little faith. It is early in the season.
Badgerland's #1 Spurs fan.

Still crazy after all these years.
Old 11-06-09, 02:10 PM

RJ did attack the basket last night and was successful when he did, either with a basket or with going to the line.

$14 million and we're expecting too much? yeah.......right
Old 11-06-09, 02:17 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

RJ was not the problem (offensively at least) last night.

He struggled through the first few games to figure out how aggressive to be. But almost all new Spurs go through that-- Barry, Mason, Finley, etc. are some examples.
Old 11-06-09, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
RJ was not the problem (offensively at least) last night.

He struggled through the first few games to figure out how aggressive to be. But almost all new Spurs go through that-- Barry, Mason, Finley, etc. are some examples.
i agree, that sometimes you gotta feel out how to play, but all the players you named are jump shooters, which isn't too hard to figure out the reason they brought you in was to shoot when you have the ball. RJ on the other hand, was more effective driving the ball. whatever works you gotta keep doing it, if they're gonna get upset about it, then step up!
Old 11-11-09, 11:10 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Thoughts now?
Old 11-11-09, 11:15 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

He is coming around?
[email protected]
Old 11-11-09, 11:16 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLadiesMike View Post
Thoughts now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHENEA View Post
He is coming around?

If you throw out RJ's first two games, he is averaging

33.4 mpg
21.4 ppg
60.2% fg (7.8 fgm/game on 13.8 fga/game)
41.3% 3pt (1.4 3-fgm/3.4 3-fga)
4.2 reb/game
3.2 apg
1.4 spg
1.4 turnover/game

His free throw shooting is wacky though.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 11-11-09, 11:17 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

LOL at people even me quesioning the move after three games or even four games or so.......... He is a player and always has been a player in this leauge, he can slash and get to the line and shoot the three, what else do we need sides some better D which will COME! Shame on us in here.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 11-12-09, 09:56 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

This is the guy we traded for.

And last night I loved his hustle. The one knock on him was the issue about lack of hustle.

I think playing with guys like Manu and Bogans is infectious.
Old 11-12-09, 12:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think it's just possible that players have trouble coming over to the Spurs and taking over when Tim and Tony are on the floor. They likely feel that the Spurs are Tim and Tony's team and they don't want to step on Tim and Tony's feet. Finley had the same problem when he joined the Spurs.

Having Tim and Tony out for a few games may have been the best thing that could have happened.
Old 11-12-09, 12:52 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Hai guyz let's trade Jokerson for Sjax, durrr

This is why you shouldn't post knee-jerk comments after only a handful of games.
Old 11-13-09, 08:47 PM
SpursReport Rookie

i dont feel like i said anything bad about jefferson..i was glad to see him play hard on wednesday..thats what i expected from him and i hope he continues even when tim and tony are out there..he shouldnt be afraid to take over
Old 11-13-09, 10:12 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyr21 View Post
i dont feel like i said anything bad about jefferson..i was glad to see him play hard on wednesday..thats what i expected from him and i hope he continues even when tim and tony are out there..he shouldnt be afraid to take over
There were a lot of threads that had similar tones like that. Yours very lightly touches upon that subject of expectations for him to come out like gang busters.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 11-14-09, 01:28 AM
admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego View Post
If you throw out RJ's first two games, he is averaging

33.4 mpg
21.4 ppg
60.2% fg (7.8 fgm/game on 13.8 fga/game)
41.3% 3pt (1.4 3-fgm/3.4 3-fga)
4.2 reb/game
3.2 apg
1.4 spg
1.4 turnover/game

His free throw shooting is wacky though.
Those are ALL STAR numbers!