News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 11-06-09, 01:05 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Small Ball...

Why does Pop insist on playing Small Ball!?! When you got Theo just sitting on the bench...
If Pop likes the idea of RJ playing the 4 spot.. Forget about getting boards!! They are getting killed by the Jazz in the inside! DAMMIT! Where's Ian?? Duncan needs help in the inside period!! ADMIRAL COMEBACK!! WE NEED YOU!!

Splitter can Split and never come back!!!:applause
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-06-09, 01:07 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

He's been trying to get some scoring going. When all your key swing guys aren't really doing much (Parker had his moments, but still haven't broken it open), then your team is going to struggle for points.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-06-09, 01:10 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego View Post
He's been trying to get some scoring going. When all your key swing guys aren't really doing much (Parker had his moments, but still haven't broken it open), then your team is going to struggle for points.
Yeah but having Theo with Duncan, Manu, RJ and Parker gives the Spurs some Fire Power as well as inside Presence.. Or you can have Theo, Dice, RJ, Mason and Hill.

No Bonner please...

Old 11-06-09, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGent210 View Post
Yeah but having Theo with Duncan, Manu, RJ and Parker gives the Spurs some Fire Power as well as inside Presence.. Or you can have Theo, Dice, RJ, Mason and Hill.

No Bonner please...
Well Bonner was out quick because of foul trouble. McDyess still looks a step slow due to his unfamiliarity with the system.

Parker did well scoring, but he couldn't expose the D to get others involved. Manu and Hill were off. Spurs just didn't have enough players clicking at the right time.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 11-06-09, 01:23 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Obviously, defense is the problem, not offense. I don't get why we need more scoring by going small instead of more stops by going big...
Old 11-06-09, 01:33 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

the problem is not small ball.

the problem is that blair only played 20 minutes (w/ a solid 5 garbage mins) even tho he's like 5 for 7, 9 rebs, putting back any misses around the rim just killin it.

play Duncan + Blair

blair isn't gonna mess up his offense. he has great cuts, can take easy layups off passes, and he'll put back anyones miss !

Duncan
Blair
Jefferson
Whoever (i say mason...but... i'll give pop Finley if he adds Blair to the start lineup)
Parker

c'mon!
Old 11-06-09, 01:36 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

McDyess don't know wtf is going on. he's senile.

play blair.

u still got Ginobili off the bench.
how much freakin "Bench" firepower do you want?

u need to let guys stay out there and GET A RYTHYM!!! u can't play 5 minutes and be effective... they play 5 minutes and theyr jst getting comfortable, and pop pulls them.

shooting cold off the bench is hard. only few people are great at that. u gotta leave people on the floor so they can play.

PICK someone... FINLEY or MASON
BONER or MCDYESSS
and let them have majority minutes.

and please play BLAIR
Old 11-06-09, 01:36 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I was shocked by the layups that the jazz had. 38 points in the paint out of 58 in the first half. I just hope it was just one of those days more than anything but luckily theirs a game tomorrow night.

plus its my fault i didnt drink a single beer tonight. not even for the fourth quarter. shame i wanna piss my lady off so she'll slap me for me.
Old 11-06-09, 01:42 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaespur21 View Post
I just hope it was just one of those days more than anything but luckily theirs a game tomorrow night.
well tomorrows back to back, so they'll be to tired to win tomorrow. legs are weak.
Old 11-06-09, 01:47 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Agreed. Blair is a monster and needs a lot more playing time. He can take all of Bonner's minutes for all I care. But the problem is still interior defense. The Spurs need shot blockers. Ratliff needs to play.
Old 11-06-09, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackWhore View Post
Agreed. Blair is a monster and needs a lot more playing time. He can take all of Bonner's minutes for all I care. But the problem is still interior defense. The Spurs need shot blockers. Ratliff needs to play.
Blair's defense is pretty weak. So it wouldn't matter if he's a monster. That's the problem. Too many big men don't know the system and the main one that does, does not play D.

Not sure, how everyone thought the Spurs would bust out as an undefeated team going into the season, especially with Manu, Duncan, and Parker taking games off during the preseason.

Old 11-06-09, 02:01 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Ratliff is an interesting player who could be that body the spurs need down low. i think hes just as good as anyone else the spurs have had down their with Tim Duncan. Oberto, Nazr, Rasho, Willis, and im stop cuz my attack of the show video is loaded. Already

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan9 View Post
well tomorrows back to back, so they'll be to tired to win tomorrow. legs are weak.

good thing is the spurs lately win usually one of the back to backs
Old 11-06-09, 02:21 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego View Post
Blair's defense is pretty weak. So it wouldn't matter if he's a monster. That's the problem. Too many big men don't know the system and the main one that does, does not play D.
Im not ready to say blair cant play d. I agreed he didnt help tonight against the jazz but neither did anyone. if i did send blair a tweet tonight it certaintly wouldnt be anything negative about his d.

Plz let my wife keep snoring Paaaaleeease
Old 11-06-09, 10:51 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Charles Barkley said at half time, We are a small team...

and after he said that I did notice how we are sorely missing a traditional 5 to block and rebound. I would love to see McDyess and Ratliff in that role, but combined they are 70 years old.... At this point that's better than Bonner, but hard to really rely on.

Some people think it's just an issue of not knowing the system, but again we've had guys like Nazr come in and take a starting role in a matter of games, because he was younger and could move around a bit better. McDyess looks like he has lead boots.

So now, yes we play small ball, which never wins anything, but we have a small team to begin with.
Old 11-06-09, 11:27 PM
SpursReport Rookie

There it is again!! Dammit Pop just get rid of your Bigs, cuz you ain't playing them tonight..... Remind me of Mavs and Suns... And what does that equal?? Not 1 ring...

Old 11-06-09, 11:30 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII View Post
Charles Barkley said at half time, We are a small team...

and after he said that I did notice how we are sorely missing a traditional 5 to block and rebound. I would love to see McDyess and Ratliff in that role, but combined they are 70 years old.... At this point that's better than Bonner, but hard to really rely on.

Some people think it's just an issue of not knowing the system, but again we've had guys like Nazr come in and take a starting role in a matter of games, because he was younger and could move around a bit better. McDyess looks like he has lead boots.

So now, yes we play small ball, which never wins anything, but we have a small team to begin with.
Yes thank you! Nazr did a hell of job playing inside, and what does Pop do?? Get's rid of him the same with Elson, I thought that guy was fast and would crash boards! We ain't been right since, I think Blair does a descend job but ain't get no minutes..

Old 11-07-09, 01:16 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

DEATH to small ball! why does Pop insist on it so much though? i was so excited of our ability to play as a legitimately bigger team this year with the additions of Dice (ideally wanted Sheed), Blair, Ratliff, or Ian playing alongside Timmy. but i forgot the x-factor that is Pop and his lovefest with small ball. Utah has a pretty tall frontline, Denver has a big frontline, Portland's got a good amount of size as well, LA has an ENORMOUS frontline, and this all just teams in the West... and we continually play sg's as pf's.
Old 11-07-09, 08:17 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Small ball sux pop!
Old 11-07-09, 09:41 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I've been raging about this "small ball" stuff since the Bulls lost. It hurts the team's rebounding and defense. We signed athetic bigs, so let's use them. I've watched EVERY Spurs opponent take advantage of this line-up. Plus, it futher doesn't make sense to me when championship caliber teams like the Lakers and Celtics have big frontlines. Playing small ball against them will kill us. Jump shooting teams who don't play defense do NOT win championships, and that's what the Spurs look like after 5 games. Don't understand Pop's fetish about small ball!
Old 11-07-09, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin_HK View Post
Obviously, defense is the problem, not offense. I don't get why we need more scoring by going small instead of more stops by going big...
yup. SpursFan mentioned it, we have a pretty darn good bench too. problem is, starting 2 major defensive liabilities gets us in a 0-6 or so hole that the bench can't bring us back from