News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
  #1  
Old 08-16-09, 12:02 PM
Texabama Spurs's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 28
Manu's NOT injury prone

Hey wuzup ya'll....first time poster.....long time reader

but one thing that has been bothering me that I've read alot since the end of the season. And that is that Manu is injury prone because of the last 2 play-offs.

There are players in this league that ARE injury prone (i.e. Grant Hill, Andrew Bynum, Gilbert Arenas...) Manu had a bum ankle birthed from his determination to help his team reach their pinnacle. Yes he was hard headed and ignored an injury to continue playing but it was for the team.

This injury started about 3-4 years ago when he tweeked it playing for his national team I believe. It was said that he should have had surgery then but he didn't because of the 03 season where he knew he was pivotal to the Spurs. Then he had commitments to his National team. He felt a huge responsibility to both of his teams and dealt with the pain

Once he could not let it go any further he had surgery on that injury. That surgery helped in fixing THAT injury but becasue he now favored that ankle it caused the injury to his other foot/ankle

Yes it did span two years but he played with it for 3 years before that

Manu is a warrior and IS NOT INJURY PRONE I have no concern whats so ever about him this season Hell he averaged almost 30 a game for about a 4-5 game strech this past season when he first came back before that other injury kicked in.

With a healthy Manu and the rest of the additions this teams abilities are limitless.

and with a Manu who now has a chip on his shoulder Im exicited about the 09-10 season

GO SPURS GO

Last edited by Texabama Spurs; 08-16-09 at 12:05 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-16-09, 01:25 PM
maurice13's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North San Antonio (just past Plano)
Posts: 907

Most of what you say is correct except the key thing

prone (Page Rankingōn)
adj.
Lying with the front or face downward.
Having a tendency; inclined: paper that is prone to yellowing; children who are prone to mischief.

The way Manu plays and recent history says Manu is injury prone. It's not necessarily dissing Manu to say that. It just is.
__________________
No I don't hate Raja Bell, but I pity the fool.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-16-09, 01:43 PM
theinswes's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,730

i don't understand how you say Manu is not injury prone but those other guys are? not counting Grant Hill, those other 2 guys are the EXACT SAME situation - they both had nasty injuries - Bynum had a broken kneecap! that's not a typical injury by any means. just because Manu wants to battle and play through injury doesn't mean he doesn't get injured.

the 2003 championship season was 7 years ago, and he was a rookie - there was no injury at all during that time. he looked terrific in '05 as well, clearly his best year. he was at his most athletic during those years too, so i'm pretty positive there was no injury. the injury concerns have only arisen over the past couple years with his ankles, and is made a bigger concern because we question whether all the hits he took before, and the accumulation of long playoff runs and national team duties have accelerated the wear on his body (he's also 32). whether he wants to play has nothing to do with whether he CAN play. the man has played well in the regular season for the past 2 years only to suffer injuries towards the end of the season, right when we need him most. yes, he definitely is a concern for us in terms of how injury prone he has been the past 2 years.

it's for this reason as well that reloading our team with talent was even more necessary. you can't manage Tim minutes and pass it off to Manu, because now Manu's minutes have to be managed as well. we can't burden Tony with everything either, though the guy's been a trooper. by reloading our team, we've got the capability to make the playoffs with managed minutes, focusing on health and cohesion, and then get really tune up towards the end for the playoff push.

Last edited by theinswes; 08-16-09 at 01:48 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-16-09, 02:00 PM
BoerneAg54's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,662

Yeah, you can argue all you want, but Manu has spent the last 2 to 3 years with nagging and serious ankle injuries. That is the facts and that makes him injury prone. Injury prone is not an insult, it's just a matter of fact.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-16-09, 02:29 PM
spurlover9's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 25

I got to agree with the rest of these repliers, manu is injury prone. Hate to say it, cause I admire Manu's game and will to win. But fact is fact: manu is injury prone.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-16-09, 02:38 PM
Texabama Spurs's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 28

Those are good points. and I did mean the 05 season and not the 03 maybe call it first post jitters.
I guess it just comes across as a bad when you hear someone say that about your teams player ya know.

However I dont think Manu is the type to get hurt often enough to be put out of games ya know. His ankles (which are troubling) have been his nemesis but with the rest I'm betting on a season where manu shuts up a lot of doubters about his health.

Oh yeah and I pointed out Bynum because even though the injuries weren't necessarily his fault they have kept him put of big big chunks of the season.

Thanks for enetertaining my point and I agree that with the management of minutes and and Pops keen eye toward premium health once play-offs start I trust that this discussion will become a mute point
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-16-09, 02:40 PM
bills0's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurlover9 View Post
I got to agree with the rest of these repliers, manu is injury prone. Hate to say it, cause I admire Manu's game and will to win. But fact is fact: manu is injury prone.
I agree with the poster about one thing. People have been too quick to use the phase "injury prone" whenever someone has a problem that recurs. A lot of these are just like Manu's injury, he did not take care of it properly in the beginning so it came back to bite him. This does not make him injury prone, just a poor gambler.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-16-09, 02:54 PM
b1gdon's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills0 View Post
I agree with the poster about one thing. People have been too quick to use the phase "injury prone" whenever someone has a problem that recurs. A lot of these are just like Manu's injury, he did not take care of it properly in the beginning so it came back to bite him. This does not make him injury prone, just a poor gambler.
I think there is some merit here to what you are saying. The pattern of injuries just isn't too long to be able to call Manu "injury prone". I think the reason why this label was so quick to stick on Manu is because it was what everyone expected to happen. Thin quick athletic two gaurds tend to break down in their early thirties, and the trouble with Manu's ankles fit right into that expectation.

That isn't to say Manu isn't actually injury prone. I guess this year will end up being the final test.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-16-09, 03:10 PM
TexasNate's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: A Chinese nookie factory
Posts: 1,755

A big part of it too is the fact that Manu plays all out with almost complete disregard for his own safety. When asked about this he has stated that it is the only way he knows how to play. Because of this many have predicted that his body will not hold up long in the NBA and have been quick to jump when he has gotten injured. However, he is nowhere near to being in the same class as the likes of Grant Hill, Hardaway, etc. and last season was really the first time him being injured really significantly affected the team.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-16-09, 03:16 PM
Triple Dagger's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 217

I agree with you. Whatever was hurt in 05-06-07 doesn't matter because manu played great and was instrumental in bringing home the 05 and 07 title. The next year, he gets 6th man of the year and then inures/re-injures his ankle in Game 2 vs Suns. Again, it doesn't matter as Spurs go on to beat Suns and Whorenets. In Whorenet series, Manu was incredible. Not until Laker series is it apparent the injury is bothering him and affecting his play. That injury followed by the Olympics and last season made for an injury plagued season. That is only 1 season in and out of the lineup and one series from the previous season. People love to say he has been hurt for over 2 years and that is incorrect.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-16-09, 03:42 PM
maurice13's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North San Antonio (just past Plano)
Posts: 907

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Dagger View Post
That injury followed by the Olympics and last season made for an injury plagued season. That is only 1 season in and out of the lineup and one series from the previous season. People love to say he has been hurt for over 2 years and that is incorrect.
Manu missed 17 games in 05-06. He started his rookie year off injured. Never played a complete season. He gets hurt because of his style of play and I will accept that as part of the deal. I'd not have it any other way. Since he's been in the league there's been the risk of him getting injured at any time. Heck his nickname is El Contusion.
__________________
No I don't hate Raja Bell, but I pity the fool.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-16-09, 03:46 PM
Uwe Blab's Avatar
The Master Baiter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: S.A.
Posts: 4,601

It's all semantics. You CAN say that the last two years he has been injured in the playoffs, which is the worst time to get injured.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-16-09, 08:16 PM
spursfan9's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 6,492

also, playing w/ pain is great, but not useful. he should have said hey somethings wrong, i gotta get it fixed. instead it just gets worse and worse until he favors it and the damage has compounded
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-17-09, 09:00 AM
My2Cents's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Utah
Posts: 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNate View Post
A big part of it too is the fact that Manu plays all out with almost complete disregard for his own safety. When asked about this he has stated that it is the only way he knows how to play. Because of this many have predicted that his body will not hold up long in the NBA and have been quick to jump when he has gotten injured. However, he is nowhere near to being in the same class as the likes of Grant Hill, Hardaway, etc. and last season was really the first time him being injured really significantly affected the team.
Absolutely not injury prone! His game is "all out play"!
If other players played the same way, hell the majority would be injury prone!
Even at his age, which to me is not an issue, he's got more game than most!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-17-09, 02:58 PM
kaji157's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,452

The only way to determine if a player is really injury prone is to find out about all his injuries througout his career and when the did happen.

In his last interview in LaNacion, the resporters asked if he considers himself "injury prone" and he said 2 important things, first he said that compared with standar NBA players he is injury prone, that all fiba players are somehow injury prone for the NBA, and the second was his motive, he believes most fiba players have not had vacations untill the had a couple of seasons in the NBA, Fiba leagues don´t have 2 month between competition, training there is really hard, you cannot use any kind of supplements and most of them play the summer for their NT.

So that´s a lot to consider, i would like to see how, for example, Duncan would respond if he would have to be playing for USA all summers untill he was 30, like Manu.

Manu said while the NBA has more games, it´s very important that NBA players get 4 month of rest, while FIBA players rarelly enjoy a full month break.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-17-09, 03:29 PM
bills0's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaji157 View Post
The only way to determine if a player is really injury prone is to find out about all his injuries througout his career and when the did happen.

In his last interview in LaNacion, the resporters asked if he considers himself "injury prone" and he said 2 important things, first he said that compared with standar NBA players he is injury prone, that all fiba players are somehow injury prone for the NBA, and the second was his motive, he believes most fiba players have not had vacations untill the had a couple of seasons in the NBA, Fiba leagues don´t have 2 month between competition, training there is really hard, you cannot use any kind of supplements and most of them play the summer for their NT.

So that´s a lot to consider, i would like to see how, for example, Duncan would respond if he would have to be playing for USA all summers untill he was 30, like Manu.

Manu said while the NBA has more games, it´s very important that NBA players get 4 month of rest, while FIBA players rarelly enjoy a full month break.
I think we are getting to where we should have started off. How do you define "injury prone". Without knowing that, it is hard to know exactly what a poster is defending or criticizing.

Last edited by bills0; 08-17-09 at 03:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-17-09, 03:40 PM
Uwe Blab's Avatar
The Master Baiter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: S.A.
Posts: 4,601

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaji157 View Post
The only way to determine if a player is really injury prone is to find out about all his injuries througout his career and when the did happen.

In his last interview in LaNacion, the resporters asked if he considers himself "injury prone" and he said 2 important things, first he said that compared with standar NBA players he is injury prone, that all fiba players are somehow injury prone for the NBA, and the second was his motive, he believes most fiba players have not had vacations untill the had a couple of seasons in the NBA, Fiba leagues don´t have 2 month between competition, training there is really hard, you cannot use any kind of supplements and most of them play the summer for their NT.

So that´s a lot to consider, i would like to see how, for example, Duncan would respond if he would have to be playing for USA all summers untill he was 30, like Manu.

Manu said while the NBA has more games, it´s very important that NBA players get 4 month of rest, while FIBA players rarelly enjoy a full month break.
If that's the case, then why does he insist on playing for the NT when he has already accomplished all he can? I still think he should be doing more to avoid injury, like resting during the summer.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-17-09, 04:02 PM
kaji157's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
If that's the case, then why does he insist on playing for the NT when he has already accomplished all he can? I still think he should be doing more to avoid injury, like resting during the summer.
Maybe he thinks he can achive more, or maybe he thinks he owns the NT that because that was a huge part of who he is now.
Not sure, but really not the topic being discussed here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-17-09, 04:52 PM
maurice13's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North San Antonio (just past Plano)
Posts: 907

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
Absolutely not injury prone! His game is "all out play"!
If other players played the same way, hell the majority would be injury prone!
Even at his age, which to me is not an issue, he's got more game than most!!!
Why is this hard to understand? His play certainly contributes to his injuries, but because he tends to get injured, he is injury prone. Anyone else who played the same way and got hurt would also be injury prone.

Nobody's saying he's brittle, soft or comparing him to Sam Bowie, Grant Hill or anything like that. Again look at his history. The dude has been injured a lot since and including his rookie year.
__________________
No I don't hate Raja Bell, but I pity the fool.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-17-09, 09:39 PM
miguelito's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,464

Dude, please.

Don't sit here and tell me that Manu isn't injury prone when we've missed out on the last two years of the Duncan Championship Window because Manu was hurt.

My feeling is that if Manu weren't hurt, we could have won at least one of the last two years, if not both.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-17-09, 11:59 PM
Freakout's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinswes View Post
i don't understand how you say Manu is not injury prone but those other guys are? not counting Grant Hill, those other 2 guys are the EXACT SAME situation - they both had nasty injuries - Bynum had a broken kneecap! that's not a typical injury by any means. just because Manu wants to battle and play through injury doesn't mean he doesn't get injured.
Actually Bynum dislocated his knee cap when he stepped on Odom's foot. It never was broke. It popped out then back into place. The damage was the torn muscle and tissue. Which took forever to heal because during his recovery he had loose debris floating around that the MRI would not pickup. Which was not found until they scoped the knee.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-18-09, 12:48 AM
dunkman's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,183

If the Spurs wanted to add a max contract, the logical would have been to get a big. Various defensive SF's were available for the MLE (Ariza, Artest, Marion). Some available bigs were Shaq, Boozer, Chandler, Brand.

McDyess is a solid player, but he's not a 7 footer nor commands double teams. On the other hand, RJ can bring similar offense to Manu if bad luck strikes again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Dude, please.

Don't sit here and tell me that Manu isn't injury prone when we've missed out on the last two years of the Duncan Championship Window because Manu was hurt.

My feeling is that if Manu weren't hurt, we could have won at least one of the last two years, if not both.
The Spurs would had fought longer in 2008, perhaps reached the finals, but there were no guarantees in the finals against the Celtics. That team didn't rebound well and the "C"'s did that much better than the Lakers.

Pop has said that the Spurs wouldn't have won with with everyone healthy in 2009. The Lakers looked better.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-18-09, 12:50 AM
wcsf's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,368

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Dude, please.

Don't sit here and tell me that Manu isn't injury prone when we've missed out on the last two years of the Duncan Championship Window because Manu was hurt.

My feeling is that if Manu weren't hurt, we could have won at least one of the last two years, if not both.
So then Tim Duncan is also injury prone since the Spurs could have won in '98 and '00 had he not been injured in my opinion. ???

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-18-09, 02:07 AM
kmgospurs's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,766

Manu is somewhat injury prone and even he admitted it but at the same time you have to consider all the basketball he's played in his professional career and all the beatings he's taken all these years. I'm pretty impressed that he hasn't really had any major injuries until a year and a half ago when he had his ankle surgery.
On another note I wonder about his rehab. Well Manu's said a couple of times on his Facebook that he hasn't had any pain doing the simple exercises like walking on the treadmill and other things. I'm a little surprised that the Spurs aren't working or looking out on his rehabing or checking on his condition to make sure he heals right. I know Pop has said that he was 100% but how would they know if they can't observe him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-18-09, 09:58 AM
Uwe Blab's Avatar
The Master Baiter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: S.A.
Posts: 4,601

If you look at his number of games played since he joined the NBA, it actually is not too bad. It wasn't until the last two seasons, where he could not help the team in the playoffs that injuries really affected the team. So it is a safe statement to say that he has been injury prone for the last two years. It is also a safe statement to say that he may be becoming more injury prone the older he gets.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-19-09, 01:44 AM
gospursgostrive's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 157

yeah unfortunately manu is injury proned. But tony parker is not and duncan is not. I hope manu can be healthy this upcoming season. Thank goodness we have RJ!!! now along with finley,mason. spurs look good in the shooting department.

GO SPURS GO =)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-01-09, 01:52 PM
peterlogins's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1

yeah thats right miguelito. you are certainly right!
__________________
No advertising.

Last edited by peterlogins; 09-01-09 at 01:55 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
ankle , comeback , injury , manu , spurs


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/73173-manus-not-injury-prone.html
Posted By For Type Date
Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback - SpursReport.com This thread Refback 08-16-09 02:56 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.7.4 Copyright © 2000-2008 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0