News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 08-11-09, 08:42 PM
SpursReport Team Member

2009-10 Roster

I know this has been discussed recently, I had no luck finding that thread. So I will start a new one.
Okay ESPN has our roster at 15

PG- T. Parker, G. Hill
SG- R. Mason, M. Ginobili, M. Hairston
SF- R. Jefferson, M. Finley, M. Haislip, M. Williams
PF- T. Duncan, M. Bonner, D. Blair
C- A. McDyess, I. Mahinmi, T. Ratliff

I haven't heard anything about Marcus Williams so I assume he will be elsewhere. I don't think he has D-League eligibility any longer.
I think Hairston will be sent back to the Toros and called upon if one of our main guys gets injured.
This leaves us with 13 players on the bench of which you can only suit up 12 a game. Who do you think will be left off? Injured reserve or traded? Can we release anyone?
I wanted to get the forums opinion. Thanks.
Old 08-11-09, 08:47 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

i don't think Williams is still eligible for the D-League
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-11-09, 09:03 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Blair better get more minutes than Bonner... I doubt Blair is reduced to such a measley role... the only reason why he slipped to the 2nd round was because teams didn't want to risk dealing with his knees getting injured... but his knees are currently fine... and skill-wise, this guy is better than Hasheem Thabeet.

If he isn't injured, I think he'll see a lot of time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-11-09, 09:18 PM
Administrator

So when does that roster become official?
Old 08-11-09, 09:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think that Harriston will get most of the injury time and Ratliff will get some of that time early on in the season. Marcus Williams is a mystery to me. I would like to see Bonner go, but the more I have thought about his abilities, the more I think he can help us. I think he can be useful in small ball situations and his 3 point shot will come in handy off the bench. He better not start ever again. Haslip is someone I'm wondering about also, I do like the idea that we have a athletic guy who can match up against Odom/Dirk type of players. But I don't think he is even a lock to make the team. We need him in my opinion. All the other players, including Ian, are a lock in my opinion to contribute all season.
Old 08-11-09, 10:57 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see that as our 15 man roster to start the season with just a couple changes (Blair ahead of Bonner)... Williams I believe was being groomed by the Toros last year to be a point guard so I can see him geting some spot minutes in the 4th when we're ahead by 20 as a 3rd PG rather than a 4th SF. Hairston has 1 more year of Austin eligibility, but he actually got some playing time last year so I'm not sure he guaranteed not to hang out with the team.

Not sure who'll be on the inactive list... but I believe Haislip, Hairston and Williams all have contracts that would be easy for the team to cut them in training camp if someone else outplays them.
Old 08-12-09, 09:37 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII View Post
i don't think Williams is still eligible for the D-League
I know. I already stated that.

Im not sure when the final roster has to be set. Im wondering if the FO will be looking to unload anymore players? Dam I wish the season would start already. Oh well, football is right around the corner.

Last edited by Lphenom21; 08-12-09 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-12-09, 09:44 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

my bad.
Old 08-12-09, 10:24 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I know at some point Williams and Hairston had/have ungauranteed contracts, at some point though I think the gaurantee kicks in and they are ours. Haislip's money is gauranteed, if he's cut it'll be to open up room for something much better. I also think Haislip was brought on more as a 4, not a 3. Word is he can play some at the 3, and he might, but he's also a part of the big guy rotation until proven otherwise.

I think the two deep is fairly set, although I disagree that Dyess is our starting C. Dyess makes much more sense playing with the second unit as Timmy's backup, then with the starting unit in crunch time down the stretch. Our starting C is the biggest question, that and the overall 4 and 5 rotation. My fingers are crossed that Ian stays healthy and shows that he can play with the big boys. If he can average 20 to 25 minutes a night, defend well and contribute on the boards, then I would start him with Tim and bring Dyess off the bench. I think you can start Matt at C again and utilize him to space the floor for Tim early on, with our rotation we won't have to rely on him for stops and post strength down the stretch. If Matt played 15 to 20 a night, mostly in the first half and average close to 2 3-pt makes for us a night it'd be worth it. I think if the matchup presents itself we can also start Blair with Tim, I see Blair as more of a bench guy though.

I also heard that stuff about Williams maybe being a PG, we need depth at that spot, I know Manu can play spot PG, but it's be nice if Williams could take minutes there in blowout games.

I expect Hairston to be in Austin unless injuries bring him to SA, Williams will be inactive to start the year, and Haislip will be inactive to start the year. My predictions...
Old 08-12-09, 11:14 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoerneAg54 View Post
My fingers are crossed that Ian stays healthy and shows that he can play with the big boys. If he can average 20 to 25 minutes a night, defend well and contribute on the boards, then I would start him with Tim and bring Dyess off the bench.
If this happens................Championship is looking good.

If Ian can start, you are 100% right with McDyess coming off the bench. I would like to see Haislip do some damage at PF and at SF. He must play some SF to get any time. There are too many other bigs on our roster for him to contend with. If I were a betting man, I would bet that Ratliff gets the most DNP's.
Old 08-12-09, 12:44 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Yeah, I don't think Ratliff plays every game, very limited minutes. But what we have with Haislip is great versatility and depth/insurance. He can play some 3 to spare Finley and if there any front court injuries then he can play at the 4.
Old 08-12-09, 03:30 PM
SpursReport Team Member

PG- T. Parker, G. Hill
SG- R. Mason, M. Ginobili, M. Hairston
SF- R. Jefferson, M. Finley, M. Haislip, M. Williams
PF- T. Duncan, M. Bonner, D. Blair
C- A. McDyess, I. Mahinmi, T. Ratliff

Out of these I think it will be more about who is in the rotation more so than who gets DNP or Toro Time.

Unless the Spurs pull off some kind of trade that nets them a proven b/u PG I think we'll see the starting 5 being Parker, Mason, Duncan, Jefferson and hopefully Blair. (I say Blair because I have a feeling he is going to be good enough to compliment Duncan)

Regular rotation players consisting of Hill, Ginobili, Finley, McDyess and Mahinmi/Haislip.

The rest will not see any action unless the Spurs are ahead by 20 and/or injury to one of the players just mentioned.
Old 08-12-09, 07:01 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Ok good input guys, but if we can only suit up 12 who do you think it will be?
Old 08-12-09, 08:06 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

bench Bonner, Ratliff and Hairston. (inactive)