News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-09, 05:04 PM
Dr. Dash

2002's Greatest Tradgedy in Sports - Part 6, 7, 8 and 9

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-08-09, 05:05 PM
Dr. Dash

"Federal prosecutor Lawrence Pedowitz's review of Tim Donaghy's statements found no evidence to back Donaghy's accusations that specific games were manipulated, including the playoff series in 2002."

ESPN's POLL

Do you believe Lawrence Pedowitz's report that Tim Donaghy was the only NBA referee involved in illegal activity?

82.7% NO
17.2% YES
- (laker fans?)

15,000 Votes.

Lawrence Pedowitz's statement regarding game 6, 2002.

"Game 6 featured a significant disparity in fouls called in the fouth quarter: the Sacramento Kings were called for sixteen fouls, while the Lakers were called for eight fouls. Three foul calls against Sacramento, however, were the result of intentional "take" fouls committed by Sacramento to stop the clock and regain possession of the ball. Removing these fouls from the tally yields a foul differential of thirteen to eight. Two plays in the 4th quarter, both of which favored the Lakers were particularly controversial. First, with two minutes and fifty-six seconds left in the game and the Kings leading 92-90, VLade Divac of the Kings was erroneously called for a loose-ball foul, for which two free throws were awarded to the Lakers' Robert Horry. The foul was Divac's sixth of the game, resulting in his disqualification. Second, with 12.6 seconds left in the game and the Lakers leading 103-102, the Lakers' Kobe Bryant struck the Kings' Michael Bibby in the face with a forearm, but was not called for a foul."

futhermore.....

-15 errors were committed by the referees that night.
-8 favoring the Lakers, while 7 favored the Kings.
-In the critical 4th quarter, there were only 3 incorrect calls: two favoring the Lakers and one the Kings.

"When we spoke to Bavetta and Delaney, both acknowledged making errors in the game but emphatically denied making calls to favor the Lakers or to extend the series or discussing such favoritism with Donaghy......We found both men to be credible"

"Ed T. Rush, who is director of Officials at the time of game 6, told us that he has known Delaney for many years and believes Delaney is a highly honorable person. He noted that Delaney had been a highly decorated law enforcement officer before he joined the NBA. (Delaney served with the New Jersey State Police for 14 years before becoming an NBA referee. Delaney's career included a three-year undercover assignment in connection with a major organized crime investigation. In 1981, Delaney testified as a law enforcement expert before the Senate subcommittee during hearings on waterfront corruption. Senators Warren Rudman and Sam Nunn praised him for his effectiveness and bravery. To this day, Delaney regularly gives speeches at federal law enforcement training sessions and to undercover operatives in the United States and Canada."

Are they seriously trying to get away with this?

thanks again to Mitch Mclaughlin for supplying the video footage.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-08-09, 05:13 PM
Dr. Dash

This is the 8th installment of a very long series detailing everything there is to know about the Western Conference Finals of 2002. I firmly believe it is being buried under David Stern's cloak and needs an independent investigation or a play by play analysis which is what I've been offering to everyone since 6/11/08. Originally, my channel was about ranking and projecting football teams, however lately my popularity has skyrocketed as an NBA conspiracy theorist, which I assure you was not in my plans. This all started when the news hit the airwaves about game 6, 2002 of the Western Conference Finals, where I've been determined to give my side of what really happened as a life-long Sacramento King's fan. Thank you, for giving me this opportunity.
Old 08-08-09, 05:23 PM
Dr. Dash

ok one more..

Old 08-08-09, 06:53 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

it'd be nice to include game 7 of the greatest travesty in sports. the one where the kings completley choked and dwindled while they had the homecourt.

in that game, they managed to barely shoot FIFTY percent from the ft line. 16/30 (LA had 27 fta's). it was a 6-point loss. i remember watching this series, and i was livid seeing Kobe getting away with that elbow on Bibby in game 6. but then watching the Kings suck and choke away at the ft line in game 7 got me even angrier. they can blame game 6 on the refs, but with the opportunity to win it at home, they blew it, big time.

Last edited by theinswes; 08-08-09 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-08-09, 07:04 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

No one can complain when the Kings went to the line 30 times and shot 50% from the line. They just didn't have what it takes.
Old 08-09-09, 12:28 AM
Administrator

wow the only people who responded to this thread are the two laker fans not sure what happened to rayofsunshine or Dr. Laker or that GMK5 guy but I'm sure they'll be in here shortly to defend their lakers.
Old 08-09-09, 01:04 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulce View Post
wow the only people who responded to this thread are the two laker fans not sure what happened to rayofsunshine or Dr. Laker or that GMK5 guy but I'm sure they'll be in here shortly to defend their lakers.
hey now, i'm no Laker fan by ANY means. i respect kobe's talent and feel the Lakers are ridiculously dangerous. just cuz i'm calling it the way i see it doens't mean i'm a Laker fan. that's lame that unless i'm all out bashing the Lakers, even when i don't feel it's right, i'm an LA fan?

Kings got screwed over in Game 6, that's for damn sure. But in game 5, i think Shaq had ONE free throw attempt, and Webber was able to set a viscious moving pick on the last play (i'm gald they didn't call it, but if it was the other way around...). all i'm saying is, as much as LA may have gotten the refs' calls in Game 6, the Kings had game 7 in Sac to clinch it, and end up choking at the free throw line! you can't tell me they can't blame themselves for that! as much as the refs suck, i hate it when it's a cop-out, because the refs didn't decide the series for them - they still had their chance to make their own destiny, and they blew it.

Last edited by theinswes; 08-09-09 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-09-09, 01:05 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Greatest travesty was the lights going out on the Spurs during the 1978 semi finals series with the then Washington Bullets.

Bullets went on to win the NBA title.

remember?...

from: HoopsHype - Articles - A journey from Elizabeth City State to the ABA Finals

Quote:
“Few teams ever come back from being down 3-1,” Gale says. “As it turns out, they tied it up and we went up to Washington to play the seventh game. To this day, they still call it ‘the night the lights went out.’ We were playing well and rolling and all of a sudden the lights go out. That break stops our momentum. It ends up being a tight game. We had the ball and ran a play and the referees called a moving pick on Billy Paultz as Silas came off of him. Doug Moe went back and watched the film; it was not a moving pick and he made a big deal out of it and got fined. The fans in San Antonio sent in donations to pay the fine and he ended up going to the bank and having them send the money to the league in pennies. Everybody thought that it (the call) was wrong, but that is just part of the game.”
Old 08-09-09, 01:10 AM
Dr. Dash

yeah I sent my pennies in also.
Old 08-09-09, 01:11 AM
Dr. Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinswes View Post
hey now, i'm no Laker fan by ANY means. i respect kobe's talent and feel the Lakers are ridiculously dangerous. just cuz i'm calling it the way i see it doens't mean i'm a Laker fan. that's lame that unless i'm all out bashing the Lakers, even when i don't feel it's right, i'm an LA fan?

Kings got screwed over in Game 6, that's for damn sure. But in game 5, i think Shaq had ONE free throw attempt, and Webber was able to set a viscious moving pick on the last play (i'm gald they didn't call it, but if it was the other way around...). all i'm saying is, as much as LA may have gotten the refs' calls in Game 6, the Kings had game 7 in Sac to clinch it, and end up choking at the free throw line! you can't tell me they can't blame themselves for that! as much as the refs suck, i hate it when it's a cop-out, because the refs didn't decide the series for them - they still had their chance to make their own destiny, and they blew it.
Really??? you're a spurs fan... wow.
Old 08-09-09, 01:11 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I was wondering the same thing myself Dash!
GO SPURS GO
Old 08-09-09, 01:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinswes View Post

aww I see. my mistake!
But yes in this case the refs did decide the series that's the whole point of this thread.
Old 08-09-09, 10:31 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

game 6 will always be considered one of the worst called games...ever.

not even lakers fans should argue with that. lakers fans should just enjoy the fact they got their 3peat. though, the kings were a better team that year.