News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-09, 03:39 AM
admin

Doesn't "The Answer" provide many answers? Ira Winderman

Q: Ira, I think that Allen Iverson makes the most sense at this point. He instantly solves two problems for the Heat, by being another ballhandler not named Chris Quinn and being a scorer who can reduce Wade's load. -- Lionel.

A: That's fine. But what you just described is a backup point guard, someone who claims that role from Quinn and then is on the court when Wade is on the bench. The issue is that Allen has spoken about a desire to be a starter and having the opportunity to play alongside Dwyane. It comes down to Iverson reversing his field, and the Heat being sold that such a commitment would be sincere. For now, Riley simply is leaving his options open.

Q: Why hasn't Riley taken a more serious approach to bringing in a veteran guard at the league minimum? I understand his cost-conscious approach, but Chalmers and Cook need to learn from experienced players. It wouldn't hurt to get an upgrade over Quinn or the second-round pick. -- Rick.

A: I think the Heat will do just that, with several options still out there. I think the preference would be to first find a way to lose Chris Quinn's salary and also find a way to stash second-round pick Patrick Beverley overseas, to therefore retain his rights and justify the money spent on draft night to secure those rights.

Q: Ira, if Riley's public statements about letting young players develop within the rotation materialize, wouldn't that be a revolutionary conversion on his part? Isn't he the guy who was allergic to inexperienced youth and repeatedly mortgaged the future for overpriced vets past their prime? -- Papi.

A: Yes, but only when he was coaching. When Stan Van Gundy was coaching, he constantly pushed for Stan to utilize Dorell Wright more often. Then Pat returned to the bench and Dorell disappeared.

Q: Does Michael Beasley not look like a franchise player in Pat Riley's eyes? Why is his focus fixed on getting another franchise player next year, instead of surrounding Beasley and Wade with complementary players? -- Paul.

A: Undeniable to this point is the franchise's lack of an embrace for Michael. The words are there, but it did not show in the way he was utilized last season. The offseason is purely about rhetoric. It will be interesting to see the approach in Michael's second year.

Q: I know this is your how you pay your bills, but have respect for the fans and talk about all the bad moves since the 2006 championship. I know Riley is a legend and he made us a basketball town, but it's not enough. Micky is a great owner and he will bring in another talented coach/GM. Why did all of Riley's front office people leave under clouds of suspicion, from Randy to Stan? Pat Riley needs to go. -- Howard.

A: Uh, so I've been championing Antoine Walker, Ricky Davis and Mark Blount? All I know is the Heat sold a bit of its soul for the 2006 title. Believe me, I preferred the Butlers, Alston and Lamar. Shaq was plenty difficult to embrace. But, since then, it has all been about 2010, and until that plays out, I respect that a certain amount of patience is required. This team finished fifth in its conference last season, ahead of 10 other teams in the East. If that happens again, I hardly see this waiting game as any form of tragedy. Losing Wade, of course, would be an entirely different matter.

Miami Heat Q&A: Ira Winderman answers readers' questions about the team -- dailypress.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!