News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 08-01-09, 12:56 AM
Administrator

The most disliked people in sports

The most disliked people in sports
By Tom Van Riper, Forbes.com Jul 30, 2:47 pm EDT

Michael Vick will soon be playing football again, thanks to a decision by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to reinstate the former Atlanta Falcons quarterback effective in week six of the coming season.

But getting back to doing his thing on the field should be the easy part.

The tougher task for Vick, coming off an 18-month prison term for bankrolling a dog fighting business, will be rehabbing his image. Right now, more than seven in 10 people across the U.S. say they dislike him, according to the latest survey from E-Poll, an Encino, Calif.-based market research firm, making him the most disliked person in sports according to their data.

Not that he’s alone among big-time jocks. Some pro athletes just have a way of getting under people’s skin. Whether its brashness, perceived insincerity or crime, some guys can’t buy a break from the public.

Click here for more disliked sports figures

E-Poll’s latest numbers show that sports fans give their biggest thumbs down to those jocks they see
as phony (Alex Rodriguez, Kobe Bryant),
selfish (Manny Ramirez, Terrell Owens) and
criminal (Vick).

The group garnered the most responses among those that fans “dislike some,” “dislike” or “dislike a lot,” according to E-Poll. E-Poll surveys are based a representative sample of 1,100 people weekly, ages 13 and over. The most disliked people in sports were chosen from those celebrities in the athlete, coach or sports broadcaster category with a minimum awareness level of 10 percent.

That Rodriguez and Ramirez recently became embroiled in baseball’s steroid controversy is only part of the story. Both have turned off large swaths of fans for years, A-Rod for his perceived phoniness, Ramirez for his aloofness and lack of hustle. Bryant’s reputation still suffers from a rape allegation he endured five years ago. He put the incident behind him after charges were dropped, but he still scores poorly with fans turned off by what they see as an act to curry public favor. Fair or not, Bryant just isn’t seen as genuine, according to E-Poll. Both he and Ramirez are beloved heroes in L.A., but a lot of fans across the country just haven’t warmed up to them.

“A lack of sincerity makes it tough to overcome these high dislike ratings,” says Gerry Philpott, E-Poll’s chief executive. “People have their perceptions.” Of course, to make the list at all you have to be good on the field. Few people know or care much about mediocre players or coaches to have strong feelings about them one way or another.

Even as he leads the list, Vick has a chance to turn his numbers around eventually. Vick, recently released from prison for his part in an illegal dog fighting ring, saw his stock plummet very suddenly over a single incident. Genuine remorse and good citizenship going forward can get him past his current image problem, as long as it’s done correctly. That means rehabbing his image in a low key way, the better to come across as sincere.

Animal volunteer work is great, “but do it without holding a press conference about it,” says Cindy Rakowitz, Los Angeles public relations consultant who specializes in crisis management. “A month later it’s in the paper, it’s a way to do it much more organically.”

And, points out Philpott, third party validation goes a long way. Humane Society officials have said that a reach out by Vick to do some work for them seems sincere. The key is whether that holds up long term. Meantime, just playing well and staying clear of trouble would turn him into a new man pretty quickly in people’s eyes. Americans have a way of rooting for second acts.

The top five:

1. Michael Vick
2. Manny Ramirez
3. Alex Rodriguez
4. Terrell Owens
5. Kobe Bryant

Copyright © 2009 Yahoo! All rights reserved.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-01-09, 03:42 AM
SR's Resident Laker Hater

Quote:
The top five:

1. Michael Vick
2. Manny Ramirez
3. Alex Rodriguez
4. Terrell Owens
5. Kobe Bryant
I'll be tossing and turning all week worrying about these "role models' " reputations. feh
Old 08-01-09, 04:14 AM
SpursReport Team Member

6. Brock Lesnar
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-01-09, 07:45 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

[quote=Dulce;1154965]The most disliked people in sports

The top five:

1. Michael Vick
2. Manny Ramirez
3. Alex Rodriguez
4. Terrell Owens
5. Kobe Bryant

Copyright © 2009 Yahoo! All rights reserved.

The most disliked people in sports - Yahoo! Sports]

1. Michael Vick--He didn't hurt a person. He killed some dogs. Not that I condone that, but I put that below virtually any crime on a person like rape. The only people he hurt was some morons at PETA for which he moves up in my book for.
2 and 3. Manny and Alex--Wow. Used perfomance enhancing drugs at a time when it will probably come out that virtually all of the "superstars" of that era were juicing including the pitchers. Baseball has had a history of glorifying cheaters who got away with it--vaseline on baseballs, high powered cameras in centerfield to pick up catcher's signs, corking bats, etc. Boy, do we take our entertainment seriously. Does anyone care that many of the Hollywood stars we see on the big screen are doing the same thing to get those chiseled bods we drool over?
4. TO...I can appreciate people not liking TO because of the turmoil he causes on your favorite team, but he is sure fun to watch and I hope I can pick him up on my fantasy team this year. He always does great his first year with a new team. Wouldn't have been a problem w/ the Cowboys if they had a more mature quarterback IMO.
5. Kobe Bryant--now here is a rapist worth hating.
Old 08-01-09, 11:26 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Frankly, I'm tired of the Michael Vick bashing. He's more than paid the price. Actually spent time in jail, had to give back his signing bonus, his reputation is shot, and he's in bankruptcy. ENOUGH ALREADY ON HOW TERRIBLE MICHAEL VICK IS!

They are just way TOO MANY other people among athletes, entertainers, politicians and rich businessmen who have done equally appalling or more severe things than Vick yet they escaped both prison and long-term public scrutiny.

We are a society that has such poor character and integrity that I just don't see how Michael Vick is put at the top of the list of what's wrong. The San Antonio Spurs are often dismissed because they display the character and class that the public says that it wants but in reality rejects.
Old 08-01-09, 12:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

i do agree that the Mike Vick outrage NOW is really unnecessary. dude did his time in jail, and ppl are angry that he wants to go back to doing his old job? what more do you want from ppl who go to jail for their mistakes - are they supposed to be punished for lifetime? what he did was wrong, but he deserves another chance - we see it all the time with drug addicts who come back to have successful sports careers.

as for Kobe... i hate his cockiness and arrogance he displays a lotta the time. BUT, i think that rape trial is BS. totla, and utter BS. that groupie-chick wanted some of Kobe, no chance in hell Kobe does something stupid as force her - cheating, i understand, but rape? please. didnt evidence show that same girl had sex with her another guy within the same day of the Kobe incident? yeah, sounds like a real rape victim right there. and that's not cuz i like Kobe i'm saying that, but moreso cuz i dislike all those groupie chicks who want it one minute then cry foul and want money after having second thoughts.
Old 08-01-09, 12:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

can we put in owners in there Mark Cuban would be number one on the list
Old 08-01-09, 01:46 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Not only did he do his jail time, but he did quite a bit more time than the normal sentence for a first time offense for this type of charge. He was made an example of because of his celebrity even though he pleaded guilty and cooperated.
Old 08-01-09, 05:50 PM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws3 View Post
Frankly, I'm tired of the Michael Vick bashing. He's more than paid the price. Actually spent time in jail, had to give back his signing bonus, his reputation is shot, and he's in bankruptcy. ENOUGH ALREADY ON HOW TERRIBLE MICHAEL VICK IS!

They are just way TOO MANY other people among athletes, entertainers, politicians and rich businessmen who have done equally appalling or more severe things than Vick yet they escaped both prison and long-term public scrutiny.

We are a society that has such poor character and integrity that I just don't see how Michael Vick is put at the top of the list of what's wrong. The San Antonio Spurs are often dismissed because they display the character and class that the public says that it wants but in reality rejects.

I agree with you about the Vick situation.on SO MANY levels... good post!

I'm Batman's cousin
Old 08-01-09, 06:00 PM
SpursReport Team Member

It was more than just "killing dogs". It was a crime syndicate ring that was involved with some of the most unscathy individuals one can imagine.

He doesn't get a pass in my book. Albeit he has served his time and is now legally free to pursue life as a free individual.

Don't be lured into believing he was just killing a few dogs.
Old 08-01-09, 07:55 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

Totally agree. Excellent post. The handling of the Vick situation was a straight-up lynching in my opinion.

As the Bryant case unfolded, it appeared that Bryant was headed for a trial at the very least. But the entire universe knows that Bryant paid the girl money, and lots of it, and she dropped the case. So he escaped not only a conviction, but a trial.

So as the Vick case gained steam, I think a lot of people kept thinking that he was going to get off or serve some a couple of months and then community service or whatever. But the guy was given a very stiff sentence, which he served on good behavior, yet he obviously lost everything. He more than paid his due. And as a previous poster indicated, this was for cruelty to dogs, not to humans. Again, I'm not at all condoning cruelty to animals, I'm merely making a point about the value of human life.

So the fact that Bryant can walk the streets, much less play a professional sport - this to me is a travesty beyond measure. And the fact tht the NBA stuffs him down our throats 24/7 is absolutely deplorable.
Old 08-01-09, 09:00 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:

Excellent post, especially the last part. While people say they want athletes their kids can emulate as role models, it seems that sells way less than those who break laws routinely. So many Spurs are visible in the community, yet they are virtually invisible on the national scene.

Note the lack of criticism of Manny Ramirez, who not only likely had been using PEDs for years, refuses to discuss the matter at all. Interesting how athletes playing in LA doing crazy stuff seem to get passes from sports talk radio.
Old 08-02-09, 12:20 AM
The Eternal Optimist

I do not really get the Vick bashing. Do not appove of dog or cock fighting, but to rake vick over the coals for his involvement and give so many others passes for their shady behavior is totally two faced. As mentioned, if that sort of behavior is so despicable, why isn't the opposite end of the scale given more pub, and hyped as being role model stuff? It seems the reason the Spurs are boring is because they do not have and scandal sheet guys for the media to write about, hence just boring boy scouts do not sell well.
Old 08-02-09, 01:06 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurnation View Post
It was more than just "killing dogs". It was a crime syndicate ring that was involved with some of the most unscathy individuals one can imagine.

He doesn't get a pass in my book. Albeit he has served his time and is now legally free to pursue life as a free individual.

Don't be lured into believing he was just killing a few dogs.
Is that the line they taught you at the last PETA meeting.
Old 08-02-09, 07:08 AM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by HURRICANECUB View Post
can we put in owners in there Mark Cuban would be number one on the list
Cuban would be in my top 5 as would Kevin Garnett.
Old 08-02-09, 07:27 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttsR4rebounding View Post
I don't attend PETA meetings. Nor am I a member.

The point I was making was that Vick is not as innocent as some are "Wanting" to believe.

Let me turn this around on you.

I guess you would condone all the other elements that are associated with the ring Vick was a part of?

Organized dog fighting (at the level Vick was involved) also helped to promote prostitution, drugs and even bodily injury to others. And though he may or may not have been personally involved with those aspects of this ring...you can't tell me he didn't know it was going on either.

That said...he's paid his debt according to the law. He deserves to be free because of the debt he paid.

But he wasn't as innocent as some would like him to appear.
Old 08-02-09, 08:37 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurnation View Post
I don't attend PETA meetings. Nor am I a member.

The point I was making was that Vick is not as innocent as some are "Wanting" to believe.

Let me turn this around on you.

I guess you would condone all the other elements that are associated with the ring Vick was a part of?

Organized dog fighting (at the level Vick was involved) also helped to promote prostitution, drugs and even bodily injury to others. And though he may or may not have been personally involved with those aspects of this ring...you can't tell me he didn't know it was going on either.

That said...he's paid his debt according to the law. He deserves to be free because of the debt he paid.

But he wasn't as innocent as some would like him to appear.
you're right about the gambling syndicate being a bigger issue than the dogfighting itself. it seemed fair that he go to jail and do time for the crime he did, and at least for me, i don't really have any issue. what bugs me though is how the NFL was being all uptight about reinstating him, when he already paid the price of his punishment (jailtime, bankruptcy, etc). and a lot of ppl seem to not want him in the league at all, which is just crazy - he did his wrongs, he's faced the consequences, so now they should let him go back to his old job and rejoin society.
Old 08-02-09, 10:07 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttsR4rebounding View Post

I think part of Vic's problem was that he kept his old friends around and didn't pay any attention to what they were doing on his property. You really do have to be careful about who you hang around with/or who you allow to hang around with you.
Old 08-02-09, 11:30 AM
The Master Baiter

Santonio Holmes actually killed a person, and he's still got endorsements. Plaxico Burress plays with guns in public and could have killed someone, much less himself. Marvin Harrison's gun was used to shoot someone. The list goes on of athletes who did much worse than Vick, even if there were prostitution and drugs involved which he did not convicted of.
Old 08-02-09, 12:36 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

I don't know how many people expect to do time in a federal pin and then expect to have their job waiting for them at the end...