News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-30-09, 10:16 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Parker's Injury Brings Him Back to SA

Someone who speaks French please do a better job of translation, but the gist is

Tony Parker will not play the match for the Euro against Italy. Indeed, after reading medical examinations provided by France, the staff of the San Antonio Spurs asked him to return to the United States. Tony takes the plane Friday morning to return to his club. In the present situation, his participation in other qualifying matches for Euro is suspended.

Parker rentre
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-30-09, 10:18 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

thats how it starts...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-30-09, 10:24 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Actually, I hope the injury is just serious enought to bring him back and be fully healed w/ rest until training camp starts. I predict this will be the first year that Tony's stats go down a bit. I see Hill playing a few more minutes and Pop looking to keep TP fresh for the playoffs.
Old 07-30-09, 10:24 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I hope it's just a pre-cautious measurement, nothing serious.
Old 07-30-09, 10:26 PM
SpursReport Team Member

USA M.D.s > French M.D.s
Old 07-30-09, 10:27 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Just heard on the news that Tony is not happy with this decision.

I'm glad it's being made. All the Spurs want to do is evaluate the injury.
Old 07-30-09, 10:52 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Pucker up Tony France will still be there after our 'ship of '10
Old 07-30-09, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Yes he needs to come back and let the Spurs medical staff, one of the best in the league, make sure it's nothing like Manu's injury or has a chance to become a Manu injury. Gotta back the front office on this one.
Old 07-31-09, 03:58 AM
SpursReport Team Member

If Tony really wants to screw around with the euro tournament and jeapardize his position on the Spurs roster, go ahead. But don't let him b!tch and cry when Pop replaces him with the younger bucks who can carry his load. What good is he if he can't play the regular season due to injury while playing for his beloved france.
Old 07-31-09, 04:20 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttsR4rebounding View Post
Someone who speaks French please do a better job of translation, but the gist is

Tony Parker will not play the match for the Euro against Italy. Indeed, after reading medical examinations provided by France, the staff of the San Antonio Spurs asked him to return to the United States. Tony takes the plane Friday morning to return to his club. In the present situation, his participation in other qualifying matches for Euro is suspended.

Parker rentre
The article is not that clear on TP's participation to the qualifiers. In a nutshell France indeed has big doubt that TP will be able to participate (although no forfeit has been confirmed as of now) as he will have 22 hours of planes in the legs and no proper conditioning time. This is actually what disturd the french staff. Nobody in France, even Parker quite understand the decision. All the required tests have been done, including MRI upon specific request of the Spurs, and all results shared with the SA franchise. All results show a mild ankle sprain with good healing process (Parker was able to walk and run without problem). Still the SA medic staff still wants a closer look at the injury.
I fully understand SA wants to be extra cautious with Parker and avoid any Manu-like problems with its starting PG, especially when so much has been invested for the coming NBA season (and the fact that SA accepted to pay luxury tax for a a decent shot at the tittle).
I really find this decision curious though, as France has no interest in playing a hurt Parker: should he not be able to play the coming NBA season at 100%, the french staff knows it would not be able to convince SA to let TP participate to any future campaigns with the french team. So it would not make any sense for the french team either.
Finally, whoever thinks Parker will be better treated in the US than in France is just kidding himself: this is not England we're talking about here. Fench Meds are just as competent as american., especially to treat an ankle sprain. Come on, this no open heart surgery for christ's sake! (and even that can be done at the same level here than in the US).
Old 07-31-09, 05:20 AM
SpursReport Team Member

He will realise eventualy that this is his main opertunity for another ring and he better not screw it up.
Old 07-31-09, 05:27 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysio View Post
He will realise eventualy that this is his main opertunity for another ring and he better not screw it up.

While this is very true, please remember that it is probably one of his best shot at a national tittle which he craves for!

Should the French not qualify for the Euro (and end up in the 5 first nations of european tournament) french will not be qualified for the world championship and would need to qualify anew for the next euro (which results would decide on olympic qualification).

Parker already won NBA tittle and though I'm sure he's pretty motivated a new ring, he did not yet win anything with the french team, which is now one of his main objectives. You should note that unlike the US player, european player see utlimate success in international competition.
Old 07-31-09, 06:06 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnafron View Post
While this is very true, please remember that it is probably one of his best shot at a national tittle which he craves for!

Should the French not qualify for the Euro (and end up in the 5 first nations of european tournament) french will not be qualified for the world championship and would need to qualify anew for the next euro (which results would decide on olympic qualification).

Parker already won NBA tittle and though I'm sure he's pretty motivated a new ring, he did not yet win anything with the french team, which is now one of his main objectives. You should note that unlike the US player, european player see utlimate success in international competition.
Parker has a chance
at bronze..... That's pretty much it.
Old 07-31-09, 06:17 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
The article is not that clear on TP's participation to the qualifiers. In a nutshell France indeed has big doubt that TP will be able to participate (although no forfeit has been confirmed as of now) as he will have 22 hours of planes in the legs and no proper conditioning time. This is actually what disturd the french staff. Nobody in France, even Parker quite understand the decision. All the required tests have been done, including MRI upon specific request of the Spurs, and all results shared with the SA franchise. All results show a mild ankle sprain with good healing process (Parker was able to walk and run without problem). Still the SA medic staff still wants a closer look at the injury not be able to convince SA to let TP participate to any future campaigns with the french team. So it would not make any sense for the french team either.
allow me to help everyone understand. The spurs just dished out the doe to put together one of, if not the most talented spurs team ever. On top of that, they are paying Parker millions upon millions to play basketball.. If the spurs want to fly Parker back to check his injuries out just to take the extra percaution.... I think they are 100 percent justified. No one should be confused or wondering why they flew him back... Parker is a huge investment.
Old 07-31-09, 06:45 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B View Post
allow me to help everyone understand. The spurs just dished out the doe to put together one of, if not the most talented spurs team ever. On top of that, they are paying Parker millions upon millions to play basketball.. If the spurs want to fly Parker back to check his injuries out just to take the extra percaution.... I think they are 100 percent justified. No one should be confused or wondering why they flew him back... Parker is a huge investment.
As said, I fully understood that, and explained it in my previous post as well. I'm just a bit disapointed there isn't more trust in the french medical staff, even when it fully cooporated with the Spurs organisation. As explained, France would have nothing to win either in playing a hurt Tony Parker. He would not help the team much if not playing at 100% and it would garantee no further participation for any upcoming international competition.

As for France only having a shot at a bronze medal, well for one it would already be a big achievement, and who knows what they would able to do, I mean a very weaker team in Sydney brought back silver, so you never know.
Old 07-31-09, 06:56 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Not that I am a French lover...my sister-in-law is French and the biggest B!TCH I know, but I can understand Parker's desire to represent his team. This is probably no different than he gets 2 or 3 times every year during an NBA season--that virtually every player gets-- and if the Spurs are overreacting he has every right to be pissed. As big as the Spurs are to us, Tony Parker is even bigger in France. He has a whole country cheering, supporting him. Not to mention huge business interests of his own that require him to maintain a high degree of visibility there.
Old 07-31-09, 07:41 AM
Delusional Manu Lover

Sorry Tony, but

NBA Championship > Eurobasketball Championship

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Old 07-31-09, 08:59 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Finally, whoever thinks Parker will be better treated in the US than in France is just kidding himself: this is not England we're talking about here.
Am I the only one who finds this hilarious?
Old 07-31-09, 09:13 AM
SR 2010 Western Conference Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark21horse View Post
Sorry Tony, but

NBA Championship > Eurobasketball Championship
Although I will never be 100% objective, I think it is safe to assume the talent Parker will be facing in the NBA is greater than the talent he will be facing in Eurobasketball.

Yet, even though NBA might be a lot more important to you, which of the two is more important for Parker is something only he is able to determine and I guess all of us will have to respect that (or at least accept it, since we can't do much about it to change whatever decision he makes).

About the decision made by the Spurs, I can fully understand why are they trying to be as cautious as possible about an injury to a key player in the team (in their place, I would be as well). Yet, I'm kind of surprised about the reaction they had, considering that in previous years, they didn't have that same reaction about Manu's injuries. I recall Manu rehabing here in Argentina wiht someone from the Spurs medical staff following him and checking everything was going OK and he eventually went once or twice during the whole summer to San Antonio to make some studies.
In this situation, I would have expected the Spurs medical staff to fly to France to check on Parker instead of making Parker come back to the US to check on him. It makes sense in that I don't think there is any study they can do in the US that they cannot perform in France and you avoid having Parker flying more hours and changing time zones (nothing serious, but that is something that is always good to avoid if possible). The only other reason I can think of for moving him that way instead of having the Medical Staff making the flights (assuming they are more than one checking on Parker) might be paying less plane tickets (I don't think that is really much of a factor in here) or making sure wether healthy or not Parker will not be ready to play for France in the next game due to tiredness and lack of conditioning.
Old 07-31-09, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelden View Post
Am I the only one who finds this hilarious?
Coming from someone who appears to be french, I'm not surprised. Being an outsider to that, I don't know that much about it, but as much as I heard, English and French people are always taking jabs at each other. And if you are neither English nor French, they are probably hilarious
Old 07-31-09, 10:00 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
Coming from someone who appears to be french, I'm not surprised. Being an outsider to that, I don't know that much about it, but as much as I heard, English and French people are always taking jabs at each other. And if you are neither English nor French, they are probably hilarious
I agree this was somewhat behind the belt. But you got the point alright!
Old 07-31-09, 10:08 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Yet, even though NBA might be a lot more important to you, which of the two is more important for Parker is something only he is able to determine and I guess all of us will have to respect that (or at least accept it, since we can't do much about it to change whatever decision he makes).
THANKS for understanding!

Quote:
The only other reason I can think of for moving him that way instead of having the Medical Staff making the flights (assuming they are more than one checking on Parker) might be paying less plane tickets (I don't think that is really much of a factor in here) or making sure wether healthy or not Parker will not be ready to play for France in the next game due to tiredness and lack of conditioning.
Exactly why I'm also dispointed!

Great Post!
Old 07-31-09, 10:27 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulce View Post
Yes he needs to come back and let the Spurs medical staff, one of the best in the league, make sure it's nothing like Manu's injury or has a chance to become a Manu injury. Gotta back the front office on this one.
this is the best thing the spurs can do right now. bring him over and give him a true evaluation. france only wants him to make it through summer play they can care less about after that. same with argentina and manu. they even said they only cared about him lasting through the olympics.

i don't care if tony is throwing a fit about having to come back to the states. our medical team is one of the better ones in the league and he needs to realize that he's getting paid and he is an investment.
Old 07-31-09, 11:27 AM
FrenchConnection

TP was given a chance by the Spurs staff to play for France. He got mildly injured but enough to worry the staff so they basically bring him to San Antonio to let him know that France will have to do without him. Without this injury I am sure that the front office would have cool with it.
Old 07-31-09, 11:53 AM
Delusional Manu Lover

Quote:
Although I will never be 100% objective, I think it is safe to assume the talent Parker will be facing in the NBA is greater than the talent he will be facing in Eurobasketball.

About the decision made by the Spurs, I can fully understand why are they trying to be as cautious as possible about an injury to a key player in the team (in their place, I would be as well). Yet, I'm kind of surprised about the reaction they had, considering that in previous years, they didn't have that same reaction about Manu's injuries. I recall Manu rehabing here in Argentina wiht someone from the Spurs medical staff following him and checking everything was going OK and he eventually went once or twice during the whole summer to San Antonio to make some studies.
In this situation, I would have expected the Spurs medical staff to fly to France to check on Parker instead of making Parker come back to the US to check on him. It makes sense in that I don't think there is any study they can do in the US that they cannot perform in France and you avoid having Parker flying more hours and changing time zones (nothing serious, but that is something that is always good to avoid if possible). The only other reason I can think of for moving him that way instead of having the Medical Staff making the flights (assuming they are more than one checking on Parker) might be paying less plane tickets (I don't think that is really much of a factor in here) or making sure wether healthy or not Parker will not be ready to play for France in the next game due to tiredness and lack of conditioning.
You sure do say alot, whilst I will keep it simple. Parker's employer wants Parker to come back to the states.......Parker will come back to the states. The NBA championship is more important to Parker's employers, therefore it's more important to me. It's really simple when you think about it. Not a hard concept to grasp.

Old 07-31-09, 12:10 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Well put Dark21horse. I'm sure there are stipulations that if a player under an NBA contract has even the slightest injury in Euroleague play, they must immediately withdraw and return to the states. Ultimately Parker must listen to the Spurs management...plain and simple.
Old 07-31-09, 01:21 PM
SpursReport Rookie

If all these players & their respective National Teams place this high a priority on these competitions, let the players and/or the National Teams compensate the NBA Franchise for any losses incurred, at least salary wise. This would go a long way towards determining who is REALLY that inspired to play for their National Team. I'm all for them doing it under those circumstances. Seems a little lopsided as done now. How great is the gain for the NBA Teams if their player/players win in international competition? If it's that lucrative for the League as a whole, let David Stern deal with it. Considering how much the Spurs are paying Tony & Manu this year, France & Argentina should be very appreciative of the risks the Spurs shoulder. They end up being much more supportive than the fanatical countrymen.
Old 07-31-09, 02:07 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I wonder if NBA contracts would become null and void if a player got hurt while playing in international competetion, would the players still feel this national pride to play for their home country. I think after the Manu situations and what the Spurs have invested this year, it is better to act on the side of caution.
Old 07-31-09, 02:11 PM
SpursReport Rookie

THIS WHOLE THING IS BIGGER THAN YOU PARKER!!!
SUCK IT UP! -Tired
Old 07-31-09, 02:55 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Here's a pretty good translation of the original article - I had to guess in places:
Parker returned to San Antonio
Tony Parker returned to the United States. Indeed, after reading medical examinations provided by the French, the staff of the San Antonio Spurs asked him to return to the club.
It is a thunderbolt that hit the French team. After having had to resign to not being able to keep Joakim Noah, and just after barely managed to beat Hungary (70-69), Thursday night in preparation for the Euro, the Blues have learned that Tony Parker had return to San Antonio, at the request of the Spurs. "The French leader, to everyone's surprise, was asked to return the U.S. to be seen by {Spurs medical staff}, said a communiqué of the French Federation. Wednesday, at the request of the Spurs, the staff of the French team did send an MRI of his ankle, which confirmed the initial diagnosis: a mild sprain. "
His participation in doubt for Italy-France
The leaders of San Antonio want Parker back in Texas to "undergo further examinations”, whereas, according to the communiqué of the FFBB," care in the French team was to rehab the player for competition. " Indeed, the French leader was "running normally" and had started to run. This trip to the United States raises serious doubts about the participation of "TP" in the match against Italy, on 5 August in Cagliari. The staff of Blue "do not know if he will return for (this match) and later matches."
Parker: "I sincerely do not understand this decision"
The package of the player is not certain, but even if the Spurs let Parker returned to Europe a day after his return to San Antonio, this would not constitute an ideal preparation before a match of such importance, with 22-hour flight and three days without training. The few people who were {seeing} "TP" leaving the stage of Coubertin saw him very upset. The player could not express himself through the release of the Federation: "I sincerely do not understand this decision, after all the testing carried out jointly “ between the French team and the Spurs. "I regret what happened. I am compelled to follow orders of my club, " continues Parker. I hope to “return soon to compete in the qualifying matches."

Parker flew in Friday morning for San Antonio, along with the {French trainer or doctor}, dispatched by the staff "to continue the care begun " and "allow the return" of the player. Stay tuned.
Old 07-31-09, 03:39 PM

Quote:
You sure do say alot, whilst I will keep it simple. Parker's employer wants Parker to come back to the states.......Parker will come back to the states. The NBA championship is more important to Parker's employers, therefore it's more important to me. It's really simple when you think about it. Not a hard concept to grasp.
I can understand what you say, but if you want to put it as a worker-employer relationship, you can see it as the employer telling the worker to get back to the office right in the middle of his holiday time.
It didn't to me, but I heard that happened here at my office to some other people and they got back from their holidays and got to work right away to solve some problems that came up. I guess those people could have told their employer they couldn't get back until next week or something like that, but they didn't. Parker might have asked the Spurs to send their Medical Staff to France to check on him, but instead he is coming back to SA.

Sorry about saying a lot for something you feel is so simple. After some weeks of being overworked, these last days I've had it easier at the office so I've had some more time to post around here
Old 07-31-09, 03:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

It's precautionery procedure by the Spurs staff. Rightfully So. We all know how some "interpretations" of something can be just the one "interpreting" the information to justify their own desires.

Tony has got to realize the Spurs are looking after the best interest of not only the team but him as well.

And..if the injury is deemed more serious than what a 3rd party who does not have interest in the Spurs organization may be relating what difference would they care if Tony were to be at risk to injure himself even more as long as he was available to them for their own purpose?

I don't see how anybody would not be OK with this call unless they really DON'T care about the Spurs vested interest in Parker.

That plus...if all is fine...Tony will be allowed to go back and compete. It's not like the Spurs are out right denying he plays for no reason.
Old 07-31-09, 04:02 PM

I said I can understand what the Spurs are doing. I think all of us fans would be mad if the Spurs didn't do everything in their power to try to make sure Parker is healthy and ready to play for next season.
I only mentioned I found it curious that they called Parker to the US instead of sending the Medical Staff to France, like they did with Manu before the Olympics of last year.
Old 07-31-09, 04:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
I said I can understand what the Spurs are doing. I think all of us fans would be mad if the Spurs didn't do everything in their power to try to make sure Parker is healthy and ready to play for next season.
I only mentioned I found it curious that they called Parker to the US instead of sending the Medical Staff to France, like they did with Manu before the Olympics of last year.
Perhaps they trust their own equipment more so than somebody elses?
Old 07-31-09, 04:15 PM
Delusional Manu Lover

Quote:
I can understand what you say, but if you want to put it as a worker-employer relationship, you can see it as the employer telling the worker to get back to the office right in the middle of his holiday time.
It didn't to me, but I heard that happened here at my office to some other people and they got back from their holidays and got to work right away to solve some problems that came up. I guess those people could have told their employer they couldn't get back until next week or something like that, but they didn't. Parker might have asked the Spurs to send their Medical Staff to France to check on him, but instead he is coming back to SA.

Sorry about saying a lot for something you feel is so simple. After some weeks of being overworked, these last days I've had it easier at the office so I've had some more time to post around here
It is a worker-employer relationship. The NBA/Spurs affords TP the opportunity to live the lifestye he is accustomed to. I know TP respects that, I get the feeling that you don't. Am I wrong about that? If that means that TP might not play Eurobasketball, then so be it. TP has options, he can quit the NBA then he would be free to play wherever he chooses. What do you think TP's gonna do? That's right........he's gonna stay where he is....in the NBA.

Old 07-31-09, 05:04 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B View Post
So now we know what happened to Bambi's mom.

Perhaps too much time in the Magic Kingdom over that past weeks....

Last edited by katyspursfan; 07-31-09 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-31-09, 05:22 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestr View Post
If Tony really wants to screw around with the euro tournament and jeapardize his position on the Spurs roster, go ahead. But don't let him b!tch and cry when Pop replaces him with the younger bucks who can carry his load. What good is he if he can't play the regular season due to injury while playing for his beloved france.
Well said!
Old 07-31-09, 05:53 PM

Quote:
It is a worker-employer relationship. The NBA/Spurs affords TP the opportunity to live the lifestye he is accustomed to. I know TP respects that, I get the feeling that you don't. Am I wrong about that? If that means that TP might not play Eurobasketball, then so be it. TP has options, he can quit the NBA then he would be free to play wherever he chooses. What do you think TP's gonna do? That's right........he's gonna stay where he is....in the NBA.
I'm not sure what TP respects or what would he do if put on a situation like the one you mention because I'm not on his shoes. All I could do about that is guess. Right now I would guess that he would rather stay with his wife in the US so he would choose to keep playing in the NBA. Yet, if he had no wife or his wife was from France or things like that, I'm pretty sure he would also put all those other things into consideration when choosing what to do. I'm pretty sure Parker would be able to make a good amount of money playing in Europe as well (I don't know if the same money he makes in the US, but enough to have a lifestyle similar to the one he has now) so money will probably be a big factor, but not the only one when making a decision like that one.

About me, I'm still young so I might be mistaken in the respect I'm giving to the relationship I have with my employer (guess I will need to get older to be able to tell for sure) but I think I give the respect that relationship deserves and am conscious that that relationship allows me to have the lifestyle that I have (which is nowhere near as Parker's ).
A while ago I was at another job and my employer started demanding from me more than I could take so I decided to quit. It was not that hard of a decision to make since I was still in the Uni at that time and had no one depending on my income. Yet, I spent 7 months until I was able to get a new job and I can tell you those were not easy months for me. I knew the risk I was taking when quitting without having anything to rely on, but my employer pushed me enough to make that decision.

Going back to Parker, it will all come down to what are his personal priorities and what he puts first when making a decision. Right now it seems that even though he didn't like it, he did go back to SA, so I guess it is safe to assume that he wants to play for his country (that is why he was not happy to have to go to SA), but he gives a lot of respect to what his employer tells him (that's why he went back to SA even though he didn't consider it necessary).

On that same aspect I know I got flamed quite a lot at the time for defending Manu on what happened last year, but even though Pop told him not to play (but still ended up accepting the decision and after the injury said to the media it was probably a blessing in disguise), the Spurs Medical Staff cleared him to play both at the Olympics and then twice during the regular season and even though he might have returned earlier if it depended on him, he waited until the Medical Staff cleared him to play to get on the court again. You can argue (after knowing the outcome of the Olympics and of the two times Manu came back from injury last season) that he made the wrong decision to get on the court and get injured each time, but on all three times he respected what his employer's Medical Staff told him and even if Manu wanted to play, after all, Pop is the one who puts him on the court or not (this can also apply to 2008 playoffs, where even though it was clear he couldn't help the team that much due to his injury, Manu still wanted to play and Pop kept playing him). Since the 2008 playoffs started, Manu injured himself four times. Three of them (inlcuding the first one that can be argued led to the one he got during the Olympics because it never really healed) were playing for the Spurs.

If you ask me if TP or Manu made the right or wrong decisions each of those times, I don't know. Seeing they got injured you can probably argue they made the wrong decision each time.
Did they take decisions their employer didn't fully liked? Probably.
But each of those times they respected what their employer said (specially in regards to health) and made their decisions accordingly.
Old 07-31-09, 06:14 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestr View Post
I agree to an extent. I just hope you felt that way about Manu last year.
Old 07-31-09, 10:55 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Sacre bleu! Parker puzzled about Spurs insistence on more tests
By Mike Monroe
on Jul 31, 09 04:37 PM

Spurs guard Tony Parker returned to San Antonio from Paris Friday evening, wondering why the club insisted he get more tests on a right ankle he sprained a week ago in a game against Austria.

Parker has been training with and competing for "Les Bleus," the French national team, as it prepares for a three-team tournament that will determine the final qualifier for the European championships, scheduled for Poland in September.

He collided with an Austrian player in a game in Strasbourg, France, on July 23, leaving the court on crutches after injuring both his right thigh and ankle. An MRI exam showed no ligament damage in the ankle, but, a week later, the Spurs requested Parker's return so they could perform their own tests.

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford, responding by text message, said the Spurs were "being cautious" with the three-time NBA All-Star, who led the team in scoring in both the regular season (22.0 points per game) and playoffs (28.6).

Parker, however, questioned the need for the trip back to San Antonio. Noting that the Spurs had a member of their training staff in France last week to check on his status, he said he regretted the team's decision.

"Honestly, I don't understand this decision, because of all the tests done with the French doctors and the Spurs," he said. "I regret what is going (on). I am obligated to follow what my (NBA) club wanted me to do, but I hope to come back as soon as possible to participate in the qualification with the French national team."

France is to play Italy in a tournament game in Italy on Wednesday.

Anyone wondering why the Spurs would insist on erring on the side of caution with Parker need only check the team's player payroll for next season. They are obligated to pay Parker $12.6 million, whether healthy or injured.

Courtside