News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-29-09, 10:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Sources: Raptors nab Belinelli

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

After failing to meet the initial expectations that surrounded his arrival as a first-round pick two years ago, the Golden State Warriors have traded guard Marco Belinelli(notes) to the Toronto Raptors, league sources told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday night.

The Raptors will send Devean George to the Warriors.

Toronto GM Bryan Colangelo and his assistant GM, Maurizio Gherardini, have long been admirers of Belinelli and tried to draft him in 2007. The Warriors selected the Italian guard with the 18th pick of the draft, and a sensational debut in that year’s summer league led everyone, including Golden State coach Don Nelson, to believe Belinelli had a promising future in the free-flowing Warriors offense. Yet, he played little as a rookie, and although Belinelli averaged over 20 minutes and nearly nine points a game last season, the Warriors clearly lost some faith in his future.

Belinelli joins a Toronto organization that is fascinated with the European player. He’ll join fellow Italian Andrea Bargnani(Italy), guard Jose Calderon(Spain) and Hedo Turkoglu(Turkey), among others, with Toronto.

George, 31, arrived in Toronto this summer as part of the Shawn Marion sign-and-trade with Dallas. He averaged 3.4 points a game for the Mavericks a year ago. George played seven seasons with the Lakers, before joining Dallas in 2006.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Last edited by Spurnation; 07-29-09 at 10:58 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-30-09, 12:00 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

seems GS is having a fire sale. Toronto seems to have international players and coaches stockpiling there...hmmm an experiment indeed.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-30-09, 07:56 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I think Toronto gets the better of this deal. European basketball is much closer to fundamental basketball than the playground system that Nellie runs in Golden State. Don't really see what George adds for them. He's less athletic as he gets older. He's limited and inconsistent offensively. I think his basketball IQ is low as well. On the other hand, I still think Bellini can grow into a good NBA player.
Old 07-30-09, 09:24 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Belinelli joins a Toronto organization that is fascinated with the European player. He’ll join fellow Italian Andrea Bargnani(Italy), guard Jose Calderon(Spain) and Hedo Turkoglu(Turkey), among others, with Toronto.
They forgot to mention that famous Slovenian, Rasho Nesterovic!
Old 07-30-09, 03:15 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Maybe George's contract is coming off the books.

according to hoops hype his contract comes off the books this year.
Old 07-30-09, 03:43 PM
SpursReport Team Member

And in future news...the Toronto Raptors forfeit season due to lack of players that got injured during the summer...
Old 07-31-09, 01:08 PM
SR Team Goof

I would have liked to have seen Marco Belinelli come to SA in the 2007 draft but then again, we wouldn't have drafted the rights to Splitter at #28 then.
Old 07-31-09, 02:18 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Interesting to see Toronto continue to build around international guys. Clearly they have seen that Americans have no interest living in Canada (Matt Bonner excepted).
Old 07-31-09, 03:13 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Yeah I agree with Grizz-B

it's really a bold experiment. I like Collangelo as a GM, and I want to see if his moves will pay off. They are the closest example of maybe Euro-Basket team in the NBA. I don't know their coach now, that might be their weakest link.
Old 07-31-09, 03:43 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
I would have liked to have seen Marco Belinelli come to SA in the 2007 draft but then again, we wouldn't have drafted the rights to Splitter at #28 then.
Yeah, that's worked out well so far... I'm mainly just teasin', I'm still hopeful Splitter will one day better fill a role that we really need him for and will be make more of an impact than Marco would have.
Old 07-31-09, 04:13 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoerneAg54 View Post
Yeah, that's worked out well so far... I'm mainly just teasin', I'm still hopeful Splitter will one day better fill a role that we really need him for and will be make more of an impact than Marco would have.
It's unlikely Belinelli would have generated as much conversation actually playing the game in SA as Splitter has playing elsewhere.