News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-25-09, 10:42 AM
admin

What's Next For Portland? Malik Rose

HOOPSWORLD

Twenty-four days into free agency and the Portland Trail Blazers finally got their man – or at least one of them.

After failing to land Hedo Turkoglu and Paul Millsap in free agency, the Blazers signed free agent point guard Andre Miller on Friday to a multi-year contract believed to be a three-year deal worth $21 million.

Miller had been in discussions with the New York Knicks earlier in the week but left impressed with Portland's youthful core after meeting with Blazers' team officials in Las Vegas last weekend. Once Portland made a formal offer on Friday, it didn't take long for Miller to make his choice.

"I hope to provide veteran leadership to a young talented nucleus and help Portland take the next step in the pursuit of a championship," Miller, who has averaged 14.6 points, 4.2 rebounds and 7.4 assists per game in his 10 seasons in the league.

With the addition of Miller, Portland gets not only a point guard who can break down a defense and get into the paint, but also someone who will help the development of both Greg Oden and LaMarcus Aldridge's game as well. The Blazers also became more durable by adding Miller. In his 10 NBA seasons, he's only missed three games leading Portland's management to applaud Miller as an "ironman" in the shades of former NBA point guard Avery Johnson.

Portland had been shopping for a point guard for much of the offseason and now with Miller onboard, attention shifts to what the Blazers will do next in player movement.

They continue to be in need of a back-up to Aldridge, and just weeks ago were said to be in heavy pursuit of a small forward. Yet while management maintains they like their roster from last season – a team that won 54 games – and depth at each position, will there be more additions in the weeks and months to come?

"I don't see many moves. There could be smaller free agent signings," said General Manager Kevin Pritchard in a press conference late Friday afternoon.

A small group could fall into the "free agent signings" Pritchard spoke of, particularly for reserve power forwards still available in free ageny. Leon Powe, Joe Smith, Shelden Williams, Melvin Ely, Malik Rose, Donyell Marshall are all unrestricted and are players who would fit the bill Portland is looking for in a back-up to Aldridge.

However, in the past two weeks Portland has been known to go off the radar to look for possible solutions to their roster: they worked out Sean May (who signed a one-year deal with the Sacramento Kings
last week) in Las Vegas during the week of summer league, and also spoke with point guard Carlos Arroyo.

It's clear Portland is keeping their options open.

Even with a short free agency shopping list in the making, there remains question marks surrounding the role of sophomore point guard Jerryd Bayless who – according to multiple sources – is being heavily shopped by Portland.

"It's going to be competitive at every position," Pritchard said when asked about Bayless' current role at the point with the Miller now in the mix.

"Nate (McMillan) has been pretty demonstrative in that. Good competition leads to better play. There's going to be competition at that point guard position. I'm not saying Andre (Miller) is going to be the starter."

That battle will pan out in October at training camp between Miller, Steve Blake and perhaps even Bayless.

For now though, Portland is basking in the signing of Andre Miller while looking ahead for what is yet to come.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-25-09, 04:57 PM
SpursReport Team Member

i like miller on that team. they should be better this year.
Old 07-25-09, 05:21 PM
SpursReport Team Member

For the life of me, why did Denver ship Andre to the Sixers? If Denver were to make it to the Finals, it would have been Andre to deliver that wish. Stupid, stupid move. Hey Nuggets! how'd that Iverson project work out?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-25-09, 06:01 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestr View Post
For the life of me, why did Denver ship Andre to the Sixers? If Denver were to make it to the Finals, it would have been Andre to deliver that wish. Stupid, stupid move. Hey Nuggets! how'd that Iverson project work out?
Well, in turn, they got a better leader in Chauncey Billups. I know that was not their intentions....but I think Chauncey is better than Miller overall as far as on the court and leadership goes.

The real loser in all this was Detroit...

They have made some bad decisions in the past few years...example: Taking Darko Milicic over Carmelo, trading away Chauncey...FIRE DUMARS!!!

Anyways, back to the topic at hand.

That is a very scary addition to Portland. What a major upgrade from Steve Blake to Andre. Andre will be a great leader for that team. They will be top 4.
Old 07-25-09, 11:39 PM
admin

What I still don't get is how Portland got to be a player in the free agency game after the much ralked about, much publicized threatening letter they sent out to every NBA team last season? You know? The one about signing "Damage goods Darius"(Miles) because it would put them way over the salary cap in guaranteed contracts and basically lock them out of the free agency game? What happened with that?
Old 07-26-09, 01:20 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
What I still don't get is how Portland got to be a player in the free agency game after the much ralked about, much publicized threatening letter they sent out to every NBA team last season? You know? The one about signing "Damage goods Darius"(Miles) because it would put them way over the salary cap in guaranteed contracts and basically lock them out of the free agency game? What happened with that?
The Darius Miles debacle kept Portland from being able to offer a MAX contract to a free agent. They only ended up with $8 million in space instead of nearly $16 million. They could have added 2 guys this summer (or a max guy) if it weren't for Memphis signing him for the rmeiander of the year.
Old 07-26-09, 01:24 AM
admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunc n Dave View Post
The Darius Miles debacle kept Portland from being able to offer a MAX contract to a free agent. They only ended up with $8 million in space instead of nearly $16 million. They could have added 2 guys this summer (or a max guy) if it weren't for Memphis signing him for the rmeiander of the year.
Wow. So they could have gotten VERY dangerous. Thanks for clarifying that. I thought they were going to be knocked completely out of the free agent game. Thanks!
Old 07-26-09, 06:25 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

why we brought Theo instead of Malik Rose!
Old 07-26-09, 08:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan9 View Post
why we brought Theo instead of Malik Rose!

cause theo's hands aint got a permenant coat of popcorn butter
cause pop already changed the name on the doghouse to matt bonner
cause S.A. can't take another nasty philly cheese steak
cause his baggage won't even fit through the arena's cargo door
cause timmy has already made a new set of freinds
cause his energizer battery has done run out
cause he still thinks he can do other things besides rebound and hustle
Old 07-26-09, 08:55 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

cause S.A. can't take another nasty philly cheese steak i thought they were pretty good, as did others. and while he was here, almost everyone loved them. so pretty unnecessary.
cause his baggage won't even fit through the arena's cargo door what baggage is he carrying? what did he do? i never knew.
cause timmy has already made a new set of freinds he sure has, but he still keeps in touch w/ him and they still hang out and meet up when they have games (before/after the game)
cause his energizer battery has done run out he's still got some hustle, he's a role player,,, u can't put him out there as a starter... its just like boner... he could give us some good bakup minutes, but he's trash as a starter.
Old 07-27-09, 09:21 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan9 View Post
cause S.A. can't take another nasty philly cheese steak i thought they were pretty good, as did others. and while he was here, almost everyone loved them. so pretty unnecessary.
cause his baggage won't even fit through the arena's cargo door what baggage is he carrying? what did he do? i never knew.
cause timmy has already made a new set of freinds he sure has, but he still keeps in touch w/ him and they still hang out and meet up when they have games (before/after the game)
cause his energizer battery has done run out he's still got some hustle, he's a role player,,, u can't put him out there as a starter... its just like boner... he could give us some good bakup minutes, but he's trash as a starter.
yeah, I loved Malik when he was here - esp. the early days before he got his big payday. After that, things seemed to go downhill.

Baggage - I don't really know - but Malik and Pop got cross-wise and never seemed to fix it. Just seeems that Malik started making more and more bone-headed plays, almost like he was trying too hard at times, then not at all other times. Also, way too many double-pumps on a offensive rebound layout / shot attempts. Remember the time he made some dumb play, then yanked his jersey over his head in embarrsment, only to have yet another dumb play occur because of that?

As far as the cheese steak slam, I retract. I actually never ate there - but have heard mixed reviews. Is it even still there at the quarry?

I would actually take him back, at the vet min. for spot minutes.