News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (3) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-09, 12:58 AM
Dr. Dash

Here we go! Hornets vs Spurs Game Thread - early start 7:00 pm CST

Hornets-Spurs Preview

The San Antonio Spurs and New Orleans Hornets face a myriad of playoff possibilities entering their regular-season finale.

While those permutations may be complex, both teams realize they want to enter the postseason with momentum.

The Spurs will need help to claim the Southwest Division crown Wednesday night when they host the Hornets, who will finish as either the sixth or seventh seed in the Western Conference.

San Antonio (53-28) is tied with Houston for the Southwest lead, but the Rockets own the tiebreaker. The Spurs must beat New Orleans (49-32) and hope Houston loses at Dallas for San Antonio to win the division and gain the No. 3 seed in the West.

If that happens, the Spurs will meet the Mavericks while the Hornets will take on Denver in the first round. San Antonio, though, will guarantee itself the fifth seed - and no home-court advantage - with a loss Wednesday.

New Orleans gains the sixth seed with a win or a loss by Dallas. The Hornets will be seventh with a loss and a win by the Mavericks.

With so much still to be decided, the Spurs are looking to close the regular season with a fourth straight win. They cruised past Golden State 101-72 on Monday as Drew Gooden had 20 points and 15 rebounds and Tim Duncan added 16 and 13.

"We need our rhythm, we need some confidence, and we need to play well against some of the elite teams in the West," said Duncan, who returned after sitting out Sunday's game against Sacramento to rest his aching knees. "Whatever happens, happens. We're going to go in there (against New Orleans) and try to take that game and figure out what happens."

The mood is a bit different for New Orleans, which lost 86-66 at Houston on Monday. The Hornets missed a chance to clinch the No. 6 seed, but coach Byron Scott was more upset with the effort that resulted in his club's lowest point total of the season.

"It is very disappointing," Scott said. "I think most of our guys in that locker room think that it's like a light switch, that you can just turn on when the playoffs start. It's not going to happen, it's just not."

Superstar point guard Chris Paul had just nine points and seven assists, marking the first time all season he failed to reach double figures in at least one of those categories. The Hornets have lost five of their last seven games.

"We got smashed," Paul said. "It was embarrassing. They beat us in just about every way possible."

Hornets center Tyson Chandler is expected to play for the first time since March 16. He has missed New Orleans' last 15 games with inflammation in his left ankle, but Scott intends to play him 20-25 minutes Wednesday.

The Hornets have won two of three this season against the team that eliminated them from the playoffs last year, with the home team winning each meeting. Paul is averaging 27.7 points and 8.3 assists against San Antonio in 2008-09.

He will be matched up against Spurs point guard Tony Parker, who is shooting 60.9 percent and averaging 21.7 points versus the Hornets this season.

LINK
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-15-09, 12:58 AM
Dr. Dash

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-15-09, 08:40 AM
Official SR Home Builder

Spurs 111
Hornets 95
Old 04-15-09, 11:06 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Let's do this!
Old 04-15-09, 12:48 PM
NBA Ref Wrangler

NBA.com - Referee Assignments
Referee Assignments
Apr 15, 2009
New Orleans @ San Antonio--S. Foster; T. Brothers; Z. Zarba

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
---Winston Churchill (1903)
Old 04-15-09, 06:17 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

SPURS 120
NOLA 116
But of course Spurs will win this game in San Anton

There is No Question Spurs win tonight..

GO SPURS GO
PONGAN HUEVO!!!!!!!!!
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 04-15-09, 08:26 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Bring us home a win, Drew.
Old 04-15-09, 09:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

blazers here we come!
Old 04-15-09, 09:18 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Somebody tell me again how this team is going to win a championship, 'cause I keep forgetting.
Old 04-15-09, 09:26 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

HUGE! and this one definitely was off in time!
Old 04-15-09, 09:27 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Oops.. I guess the Blazers will have to wait a little longer.. lol!
Old 04-15-09, 09:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Somebody tell me again how this team is going to win a championship, 'cause I keep forgetting.
apparently our m.o. this season is play like crap, but well enough to just hang in the games... and then somehow pull it off in the last seconds. we've got some crazy record for number of games decided by less than 3 pts or something... i still dunno how.

also, random, but i'm watchin an online stream without any announcer audio, and the funniest part was when timmy missed that last layup (got fouled & made fts), but you could hear him clearly shout, "make the f****in layup tim!"
Old 04-15-09, 09:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Mavs have done their part.. leading by 11 with 1:30 and change..
Old 04-15-09, 09:29 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Okay, maybe THAT's how.
SpursReport Team Member

YEAH BABY!!!! GREAT SHOT FIN!!!
SpursReport Rookie

Hopefully Fin is warming up for playoffs hehe
Old 04-15-09, 09:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

mavs won, so it's all in the spurs hands right now. it's either the 3rd or 4th seed.
Old 04-15-09, 09:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Hard to go up against the Hornets and the 3 blind mice..
Old 04-15-09, 09:38 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

IME CAN DUNK!?

props to the team for taking advantage of the o.t. there was a stretch where tim had like post move, then jumper next time, then a block, and an assist on consecutive plays - timmy took over in o.t.
Old 04-15-09, 09:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The Mavs are coming to town...
Old 04-15-09, 09:42 PM
Mr. Brightside

he!!s yeah
Old 04-15-09, 09:43 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

WooHoo what a win!!!!!
Old 04-15-09, 09:44 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

If I can be honest? I shed tears when Tim Duncan hit that jumper with 2:30 left in OT.

Oh yeah and Ime sucks right?
Old 04-15-09, 09:45 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Nice
Old 04-15-09, 09:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

WHAT A GAME!! CONGRATS TO THE DIVISION CHAMP SPURS!!!!!! What a season, and now we will root for you guys all throughout the playoffs and into another CHAMPIONSHIP!!
Old 04-15-09, 09:48 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

*Deep Breath*

All that. Nothing else to do now. Playoffs are here, new season. All the way, half or a quarter, I always watch to the last game.
Old 04-15-09, 09:49 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

What a comeback! And I never thought I would say this, but way to go Mavs!
Old 04-15-09, 09:54 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

What a game! I was stunned at how awful they looked in the 4th quarter, then out of nowhere Finley burries that shot - that was a beautifully drawn up and executed play by the way - and the team looks like they did 2 and 3 years ago. The 4th quarter vs OT was like night and day, simply amazing.

Let's give 'em a helluva run in the PO's, let's destroy us some Mavericks!
Old 04-15-09, 10:01 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Yes that last play in the 4th quarter between Finley and RMJ was awesome - can't wait for this weekend!
Old 04-15-09, 10:06 PM
Dr. Dash

And the Austin Toros advance to Round 2. yeah I know totally off topic. hahah!
Old 04-15-09, 10:26 PM
SpursReport Team Member

awesome win!!!

~Go Spurs Go~
Old 04-15-09, 10:32 PM
Moderator in Flip Flops

Do not forget this new orleans team. They could get by denver to set up another second round series with the Spurs.... Just keep that in mind.

With that said, GO SPURS GO!

Whoa. Just noticed that was my 2,000 post. Yeah me.

(I thought I had over 2,000 posts before and when the site reincarnated, here I am again..)
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."
~Hannibal~
Old 04-16-09, 01:33 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

GO SPURSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, SPURS in 6......
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 04-16-09, 02:09 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

So what are the odds on Jet punching someone in the nuts this series?