News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-12-09, 01:19 AM
Dr. Dash

Spurs-Kings Game Thread

Spurs-Kings Preview

The San Antonio Spurs are heading to the playoffs for the 12th straight time, but unlike previous seasons, they've been stumbling down the stretch instead of gaining momentum for a title run.

Despite their recent struggles, they still have a chance to host a first-round series.

The Spurs look to build on an important victory over a playoff-bound team and move into a first-place tie atop the Southwest Division when they visit the NBA-worst Sacramento Kings on Sunday night.

San Antonio (51-28) has averaged nearly 59 victories over the past eight seasons, but injuries to Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili have made wins harder to come by.

The Spurs had lost four of their previous six before pulling out a 105-99 victory over Utah on Friday night. Parker finished with a game-high 31 points, while Duncan had 14 points and nine rebounds after finishing with a season-low four points in Wednesday's 95-83 loss to Portland.

"Every one is very important right now," said Duncan, whose knees have been bothering him since the All-Star break. "But more than that, getting our confidence up and getting a rhythm going."

The Spurs are locked in a back-and-forth race with Houston for the Southwest crown. San Antonio, which has won seven division titles in the past 10 seasons, was atop the Southwest for much of 2008-09 before going 8-8 over the past month and losing Ginobili this week to a season-ending ankle injury.

The Rockets have taken a one-half game lead and have only two left to play. They host New Orleans on Monday before wrapping up the regular season at Dallas on Wednesday.

San Antonio appears to have a slightly easier schedule. After this meeting with the Kings (16-63), the Spurs visit lowly Golden State on Monday before their home finale against the Hornets on Wednesday.

"It starts with effort, getting out there and playing hard, but I think we need to step up our game defensively with Manu being out," forward Ime Udoka said. "We don't have the same margin for error defensively because we're not as physical. Just come out and play hard and get a few road victories and finish it up at home."

The Spurs have had little trouble beating Sacramento lately, winning four straight and nine of the last 10 meetings. San Antonio won at Sacramento 90-88 on Nov. 16 - its sixth victory in seven games at Arco Arena - and 101-85 at home Dec. 22.

While the Spurs are trying to find their rhythm for the playoffs, the Kings are gearing up for the NBA draft lottery.

Sacramento, which has dropped seven straight since defeating Phoenix 126-118 on March 29, shot 32.6 percent from the field in Friday's 109-78 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers.

"I was embarrassed at the way we went out and did not play and it will not continue," interim coach Kenny Natt said.

The Kings, who have lost eight in a row twice this season, will have a 25 percent chance of getting the first overall pick in the draft if they finish with the worst record in the league.

Kevin Martin, averaging a team-high 24.6 points per game, sat out his fifth straight game Friday because of a sprained left ankle. Natt is hopeful that he'll return Sunday.

CBC.ca Sports
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-12-09, 01:22 AM
Dr. Dash

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-12-09, 10:41 AM
NBA Ref Wrangler

NBA.com - Referee Assignments
Referee Assignments
Apr 12, 2009
San Antonio @ Sacramento--D. Crawford; B. Adams; J. Goble

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
---Winston Churchill (1903)
Old 04-12-09, 05:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

The Spurs need to win this game.

Spurs 101
Kings 99
Old 04-12-09, 05:56 PM
Dr. Dash

Spurs 88
Kings 79
Old 04-12-09, 06:02 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

beno udrih... 50 points! u know it!

press needs to ask about what happened to george hill and why he's been cut from the team (well basically... at least for the year it seems)

☻/
/▌
/ \

Last edited by spursfan9; 04-12-09 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-12-09, 06:22 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Spurs 109

Kings 91
Old 04-12-09, 06:31 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Please Start Gooden!
Old 04-12-09, 08:11 PM
SpursReport Rookie

anyone in dfw area with fios know if the game is on tv?
Old 04-12-09, 08:14 PM
Dr. Dash

No Tim Duncan tonight.
Old 04-12-09, 08:32 PM
Moderator in Flip Flops

Anyone with League Pass? I am only getting the audio but no picture, just a league pass screen with intermittent green screens....
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."
~Hannibal~
Old 04-12-09, 09:50 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher View Post
No Tim Duncan tonight.
OH yeah he is really starting to feel better I tell ya . Damnit just end this season already, we are in a seeding race right now to finish with homecourt and not a back to back and he sits? Dude is messed up badly it seems I am not feeling good at all anymore about this year, I tried.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 04-12-09, 10:30 PM
Mr. Brightside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7 View Post
OH yeah he is really starting to feel better I tell ya . Damnit just end this season already, we are in a seeding race right now to finish with homecourt and not a back to back and he sits? Dude is messed up badly it seems I am not feeling good at all anymore about this year, I tried.
b2b...keep him as fresh as possible

did fin get the shot off? refs make the right call?
Old 04-12-09, 10:32 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Fin did not get the shot off.. Spurs got a break there..

Tonight was Kings fan appreciation night. It turned out to be referee bashing night for the Kings fans.. lol!
Old 04-12-09, 10:33 PM
Moderator in Flip Flops

Spurs get a win with a controversial Finley shot at the end. Boy, the Spurs have had their shares of that this season. Not that I'm happy with the refs having a hand in the Spurs victory, but a Spurs victory we will all take...
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."
~Hannibal~
Old 04-12-09, 10:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Wow, the Kings got ROBBED tonight. Should have gone to OT, feel bad for their fans, both of em.
Old 04-12-09, 10:34 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I just hope that the spurs get "lucky" calls like that in the playoffs!!!
Old 04-12-09, 10:37 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooduy View Post
Fin did not get the shot off.. Spurs got a break there..

Tonight was Kings fan appreciation night. It turned out to be referee bashing night for the Kings fans.. lol!
Refs gave them a taste of 02 again, thats their fan appreciation for that team. Poor Kings fans, refs stay getting them.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 04-12-09, 10:39 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoerneAg54 View Post
Wow, the Kings got ROBBED tonight. Should have gone to OT, feel bad for their fans, both of em.
Kings got jobbed big time. Glad for a Spurs win, but I do feel bad for their fans on the home finale and all. The difference is, when the Kings get jobbed it's when they have 16 (?) wins to close out the regular season.

We tend to get jobbed in the playoffs, like that .04 crap...:richb
Old 04-12-09, 10:41 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Great win for the Spurs.

This is definitely a group of guys that hasn't given up on this season.
Old 04-12-09, 10:44 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

the Kings fans should be thanking us for that 'win'....lottery ping pong balls are a must for their franchise..not W's
Old 04-12-09, 10:49 PM
Dr. Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoerneAg54 View Post
they'll get more fans back if they get the number 1 or number 2 pick.
Old 04-12-09, 10:57 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

If there were ever such a thing as a bad win...
Old 04-12-09, 11:09 PM
Dr. Dash

1. Lakers
2. Denver
3. Spurs (T)
4. Houston (T)
5. Portland (T)
6. New Orleans
7. Dallas
8. Utah
Old 04-12-09, 11:10 PM
Mr. Brightside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R View Post
If there were ever such a thing as a bad win...
cant please everybody, i guess. just take the win and move on. a 'bad win' doesnt show up in the standings. kings came out fighting on fan appreciation nite.
Old 04-12-09, 11:37 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Congratulations for the Spurs, this was a great win. Hopefully, the Spurs could end second in the standings.
Old 04-12-09, 11:55 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by spUrpenguin3000 View Post
cant please everybody, i guess. just take the win and move on. a 'bad win' doesnt show up in the standings. kings came out fighting on fan appreciation nite.
No.
Old 04-13-09, 12:18 PM
Mr. Brightside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R View Post
No.
cant argue with that
Old 04-13-09, 01:00 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I think it's win-win-- the Kings get more ping-ping balls, the Spurs get better playoff position.