News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-09, 10:43 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

You knew this season was over when...

Fill in your own blank.

You knew this season was over when we were forced to start Matt Bonner.

:richb
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-09-09, 11:20 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

When Manu drove into the lane against Team USA!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-09-09, 11:57 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
Fill in your own blank.

i think this could also be rephrased, "...when Pop CHOSE to start Matt Bonner."

though i do think there were worse things.
Old 04-09-09, 12:00 PM
2012 Eastern Conference Champion

The season ain't over yet
Old 04-09-09, 12:26 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MULLETINO View Post
agreed.
Old 04-09-09, 12:38 PM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

Quote:
Agreed...you gotta kill us first before we die!..Spurs still going to come to play no matter what.

I'm Batman's cousin
Old 04-09-09, 12:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Bonner is useless besides his 1 or 2 three's a game. Im 6'1" and I think I box out and rebound better against bigger and stronger opponents than him. Its sad seeing point guards go up and snatch rebounds against him (a direct reference to Russell Westbrook the other night)

- Confucius
Old 04-09-09, 01:07 PM
SpursReport Team Member

It's not over till we lose 4 games in one round of the playoffs.
Old 04-09-09, 01:11 PM
SpursReport Rookie

if they can sustain what they did in the 1st half last night against portland for an entire game- i wouldnt be worried one bit. i think with the way the playoff schedule runs- it works to the spurs advantage because they always get a day off. there will be no back to backs in the playoffs if they can finish the other teams off in 6 games or less.
Old 04-09-09, 01:12 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

It is not over yet, but Bonner is garbage and always will be Ublowka getting mins too is a joke These two a big part of the rotation equals a loss.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 04-09-09, 01:19 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I knew it was a bad season when Ian Mahinmi was not on the roster.

also when Splitter said FU to the spurs.
Old 04-09-09, 01:25 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The season was over when I came to work and saw a picture of Ginobili on ESPN two days ago.

As for Udoka, I loved him last year especially the playoffs when he was shooting really well but this year, he throws up some really ugly bricks which expose his lack of anything else offensively (I think he's worse than Bowen). My only explanation for why he's getting minutes now is that Pop is going blind and thinks Udoka is Hill and is subbing the wrong guy. They do look kinda similar from far away.

I don't mind Bonner this year, I thought he was trash at the beginning of the season and I was proven wrong. However, he and Finley should be 10-15 minute players, not starters.
Lest we forget, in the biggest NBA game of the last decade, the Spurs handled the Pistons in the type of game that Detroit is supposedly built for. In deciding games between San Antonio and Detroit, the Spurs are 1-0, and the Pistons are 0-1.
Old 04-09-09, 01:28 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

I knew it was over when...
We traded Scola to a Conference rival for peanuts.

Not for Scola himslef. That reckless move based more on the personal side of things was a symptom of our FO aging (even more than our roster).
[email protected]
Old 04-09-09, 01:35 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHENEA View Post

Not for Scola himslef. That reckless move based more on the personal side of things was a symptom of our FO aging (even more than our roster).
Very interesting take. For the life of me I can't figure out that trade, especially with the track record our FO has. Maybe that move has humbled them a bit, I think they just got to big for themselves.

BTW, it was over when we sat Bruce and U-bricka started getting heavy minutes. I loved him last year, but he just hasn't shown up consistently this year. One good game every 5 or so just doesn't cut it.

I don't believe it's over until we get knocked out. This team does not have quit in them and will fight to the very end, so I look forward to seeing what they can do in the playoffs.
Old 04-09-09, 01:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe666 View Post
if they can sustain what they did in the 1st half last night against portland for an entire game- i wouldnt be worried one bit. i think with the way the playoff schedule runs- it works to the spurs advantage because they always get a day off. there will be no back to backs in the playoffs if they can finish the other teams off in 6 games or less.
yeah we just got super-tired by the 2nd half, but who's to say that the NBA won't screw us anyway by making us play 2 days directly after a series, give our team airplane mechanical problems, and overbook every hotel in the city so we have to sleep uncomfortably on said-airplane until the next day?

Oh wait.
Old 04-09-09, 01:46 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
WHOOP! Hells yeah, we aren't done yet!
Old 04-09-09, 01:46 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I suspected it was over when we started Matt Bonner.

I feared it was over when Tim's quad tendinosis came on the scene.

I knew it was over when the Spurs caved last night.
Old 04-09-09, 02:08 PM
SpursReport Rookie

You knew the season was over when...

Jack n the box gave coupons for free tacos for every game the Spurs kept an opponent under 100 points.

Bowen started twittering during games

Manu's facebook status read "Manu is...done for the season and so are the Spurs"

Malik Rose turned down an offer to return to the Spurs before the trade deadline

Tony Parker endorsed Subway's "Win a trip to see the Spurs play in the Finals" promotion

...that's all i got...I keed, I keed...

Go Spurs!
Old 04-09-09, 02:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

It's been a little over 1 year of bad news
feb 08 Gasol given to Lakers
may 08 Splitter signs in Spain
playoffs-> Spurs having to play game 1 against Lakers after spending a night on a plane.
Manu injured against Lakers

July 08 -Manu Injured again-> Surgery

Oct 08- Mahinmi Injured out for year (although not known at the time)

Feb 09 Tim suddenly loses effectiveness, Knee
(THIS IS WHEN I KNEW IT)

April 09 Manu out for theyear..

Must be some kind of payback for all the Good Fortune in the past....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahoopster View Post
Very interesting take. For the life of me I can't figure out that trade, especially with the track record our FO has. Maybe that move has humbled them a bit, I think they just got to big for themselves.

The Scola thing was definitely a mistake but I think I finnaly understand the Front Office thinking, and it probably made some sense at the time. I can elaborate if you wish..
Old 04-09-09, 02:37 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Tim's knees went out. Even without Manu, the Spurs could have gotten to the WCF if Parker and Duncan were healthy. Now its a possible first round exit and a 5-6 seed.
Old 04-09-09, 02:55 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I knew it was over by the time it was announced that TD knees were not going to be healthy untill next season.
It took us a lot of Manu to play with Timmy injuried during the 05-06 season, and now we have zero manu.
Old 04-09-09, 04:21 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I knew (didnt know necessarily but had an idea) the season was over when the Spurs were seriously going after Vince Carter....then didnt get him. Makes me wonder that maybe the front office knew something about this roster that made them go after Vince.

Heading into the playoffs next week, who looks more attractive on the Spurs roster now? Vince Carter........or Roger Mason and George Hill. The Spurs are already headed in the direction of that 2nd tier of NBA good teams. Does keeping Hill and Mason for the future trump the possibility of Vince Carter in a Spurs jersey and possibly improving the Spurs chances of a ring this year?? In my mind its still a tough call but if forced I would take Vince and better chance of a ring now over Hill and Mason.
Old 04-09-09, 05:45 PM
Dr. Dash

Quote:

True, very, very, very True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog View Post
The Scola thing was definitely a mistake but I think I finnaly understand the Front Office thinking, and it probably made some sense at the time. I can elaborate if you wish..
Old 04-09-09, 05:49 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
Fill in your own blank.

I knew this season was over in May or possibly even June.

But it ain't over yet.

Does no one here remember when it was a big frakkin deal simply to make the playoffs? And in those pre-Duncan years, we never went far, but we always dreamed that we would pull off the upset. And I can tell you, it's better to be a dreamer than a quitter.

Once upon a time, giants ruled the earth....
Old 04-09-09, 05:59 PM
Dr. Dash

I knew the season was over when this thread was made?

Old 04-09-09, 06:11 PM
SpursReport Rookie

It was over when Baron Davis signed with the Clippers. That forced Corey M to sign in Golden State, and us to rely on Michael Finley to be our SG.
Old 04-09-09, 06:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I knew it was over when we couldn't bring Splitter over.
Old 04-09-09, 06:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

It was over when......... guys like Roko Ukic made us look like the JV team.
Old 04-09-09, 07:07 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfor21 View Post
It was over when Baron Davis signed with the Clippers. That forced Corey M to sign in Golden State, and us to rely on Michael Finley to be our SG.
GS did not need him either, i am still pissed over that move to say the least. He can slah like crazy and get to the line, plus be a sixth man as he has shown too. A few bad things happened in the offseason, it just trickled into the season and now to this. This year has not been kind to us, so is life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilly101 View Post
It was over when......... guys like Roko Ukic made us look like the JV team.
This has happened a few times this year, a nobody burns SA beyond belief I also would like to add when a bum like Marks blocks a TD shot, you know he is not healthy then.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.

Last edited by Rzarector7; 04-09-09 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-09-09, 07:26 PM
SpursReport Rookie

+1 on dasher's comment!

And, I don't think the season is over. We haven't lost four in a round to any team.

Last edited by Val; 04-10-09 at 07:14 AM. Reason: added content
Old 04-09-09, 08:59 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher View Post
True, very, very, very True.

Allright
07 Spurs win title
Earlier in that year there where rumbles Pop didn't like the make up of the team. Things broke well they won the title. Unfortunately, they decided to stay pat instead of addressing some of those concerns.
They rewarded Oberto who started down the stretch and Bonner who showed promise before a knee injury.
The Spurs where concerned as always about cap space and need to adress in the future the wing spots.
Thus they didn't want to give Scola a contract that would be worth him comming over.
The interesting thing is no except maybe Houston, thought he would be as good as he was. There where several reports in which unnamed GMs said they didn't think much of Scola. The Spurs wanted a first round pick but no one bit. They offered Cleveland Scola's right and Beno and no deal. They had Splitter comming over in a year, Mahinmi showing promise and a brief window to sign or trade Scola or he would be Europe long term.
So they took Houston's second rounder and Houston took Butlers contract of over 5 million plus.
Mistake
Old 04-09-09, 11:35 PM
Dr. Dash

hmm interesting. Can you imagine Scola with Lebron? That would have been something. Cant believe the GM's didn't think highly of scola. Someone in the Spurs organization must have been talking badly about him thus his value went down. as you said, Mistake.
Old 04-09-09, 11:35 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog View Post
Allright
07 Spurs win title
Earlier in that year there where rumbles Pop didn't like the make up of the team. Things broke well they won the title. Unfortunately, they decided to stay pat instead of addressing some of those concerns.
They rewarded Oberto who started down the stretch and Bonner who showed promise before a knee injury.
The Spurs where concerned as always about cap space and need to adress in the future the wing spots.
Thus they didn't want to give Scola a contract that would be worth him comming over.
The interesting thing is no except maybe Houston, thought he would be as good as he was. There where several reports in which unnamed GMs said they didn't think much of Scola. The Spurs wanted a first round pick but no one bit. They offered Cleveland Scola's right and Beno and no deal. They had Splitter comming over in a year, Mahinmi showing promise and a brief window to sign or trade Scola or he would be Europe long term.
So they took Houston's second rounder and Houston took Butlers contract of over 5 million plus.
Mistake
yeah but those were the thoughts though, exactly what you said! They were thinking all of that would pan out when they traded him and it would not hurt at all, from Ian to Splitter! Neither has been here nor played yet so right now the trade was a joke and failed, but at the time it somewhat made sense I guess.
Old 04-09-09, 11:43 PM
The Master Baiter

Scola is no better than Gooden. It's not like Scola is a defensive guru or something. We are seeing what it would have been like with Scola, by watching how Gooden plays. Not good, not bad, just average. Let's not turn Scola into an all star.

I knew this season was over when Manu turned his ankle in the olympics. Having too much pride in your country can be a bad thing also.
Old 04-09-09, 11:47 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Scola is no better than Gooden. It's not like Scola is a defensive guru or something. We are seeing what it would have been like with Scola, by watching how Gooden plays. Not good, not bad, just average. Let's not turn Scola into an all star.

I knew this season was over when Manu turned his ankle in the olympics. Having too much pride in your country can be a bad thing also.
Scola will never be an all star, true there he would fit in here well as GOODEN COULD an should. I agree he is overhyped in here, thats because look at who we had, Bonner? LOL. Gooden has more talent than Luis does no doubt, he could even be better if he keeps his head on right and stays here to learn the system, good point!
Old 04-10-09, 02:21 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
You knew the season was over when...

Jack n the box gave coupons for free tacos for every game the Spurs kept an opponent under 100 points.
LMAO! That says it all, doesn't it?

As for Scola. He would be the ultimate Spur. He brings all those little things the team has missed so badly for the last two seasons. How many more victories would the Spurs have with him? How many will they have if they face him and the Rockets in the first round, against him?
Old 04-10-09, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post

Since when are we prioritizing the D in our players? Have u made a deep look in our present roster defensive abilities or better said liabilities?
And we have Gooden (that in no way could be advertised as a better player that Scola is), but do we play him enough to prove his value?
This season brought all FO and coaching staff 4 years mistakes rolling into ONE BIG FURRY FLUFFY ROUNDED MESS wiping off all the great continuity work done for a decade. It's the NBA way, 1 mistake and u r in trouble. Two and you are getting deep. Three mistakes and you fall from the charts so fast that left your head spinning.
[email protected]
Old 04-10-09, 03:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The season is over? Who won?

Old 04-10-09, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binji View Post

True.
Season ain't over but even if we went all the way and won another trophy, some very questionable FO decisions would remain questionable.
[email protected]
Old 04-10-09, 04:53 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Quote:
Since when are we prioritizing the D in our players? Have u made a deep look in our present roster defensive abilities or better said liabilities?
George Hill, Ime Udoka, Kurt Thomas? (apart from the obvious in TD, Manu, and Bruce)

Most of the guys on our roster aren't bad defensive players; they're just marginal players period.

Quote:
This season brought all FO and coaching staff 4 years mistakes rolling into ONE BIG FURRY FLUFFY ROUNDED MESS wiping off all the great continuity work done for a decade. It's the NBA way, 1 mistake and u r in trouble. Two and you are getting deep. Three mistakes and you fall from the charts so fast that left your head spinning.
I'd put things a little differently. The FO has made some mistakes, but they've also made some strong moves even in the last year-- Kurt Thomas, Drew Gooden, George Hill, Roger Mason. The bigger issue isn't that the FO has made mistakes-- it's that a little luck and megadeals involving massive salary dumps by poorly managed teams have turned three teams into powerhouses in a way that the league has really not seen in the last twenty years-- LA, Boston, and Cleveland. I suppose you could count Orlando in the mix too.

What I mean by that isn't that those top teams are better than any team in the last 20 years, but that the gap between the top teams and the rest of the league is bigger this year than in years past. Some of that is luck (Lebron, Howard). Some of it is blackmail (Kobe to LA).

But the biggest factor that sets Cleveland, LA, and Boston apart from champions of the last 20 years is that their stars didn't choose to make their teams great by free agency (a la Shaq & LA), nor was it purely the draft (MJ & Pippen, DRob/TD, Utah, Hakeem). Nor was it simple luck of the trade.

These teams are great because other teams consciously chose to get the short end of the deal in order to preserve their fiscal futures. Teams that were willing to spend got better players (Mo Williams, KG, Ray Allen, Pau Gasol, etc.) just because other teams didn't want to pay them.

That's not the Spurs' FO fault. That is actually part of the side effect of the Spurs' unique fiscal sanity that brought them success for the last 10 years.
Old 04-10-09, 04:58 PM

Bonner, Vaughn, Udoka getting minutes. i'd throw them in front of a bus for Rasho right about now
Old 04-10-09, 08:41 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binji View Post

Old 04-10-09, 09:15 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Crystal ball says Lakers, Celtics or Cavs.
Old 04-10-09, 10:01 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R View Post
Crystal ball says Lakers, Celtics or Cavs.
When the playoffs start, make sure you bring your "Spurs are done" sign. You'll be really popular at the AT&T Center.

Old 04-10-09, 10:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Spurs forgot about defense! If we had a top D we could still go deep. Manu has nothing to do with season disaster.

1st - Don't start Bonner - Start Oberto or Thomas (+++++++++++++++++++ defense)
2nd - Sign a bigger guard to guard Kobe (Mason can't)
3rd - Look for Defensive stoppers in FA

Houston lost its biggest scorer, and they're the same thing! Why? Defensive toughness
Old 04-10-09, 10:59 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsspur View Post
When the playoffs start, make sure you bring your "Spurs are done" sign. You'll be really popular at the AT&T Center.
"God's up in his heaven, all's right with the world"
Old 04-10-09, 11:05 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R View Post
"God's up in his heaven, all's right with the world"
Robert Browning. Not a quitter.

Old 04-10-09, 11:30 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Old 04-10-09, 11:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

This thread sucks.
Old 04-11-09, 12:29 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

It was over when it was over, the thing is it's April now and still early so I can't tell you when it's over, maybe around June 20th the season is over? I wish I knew who would win it, so I could be rich!! I want to know when it's over, the season being over would mean I won a ton of money!