News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 03-27-09, 08:24 AM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

SPURS IN THE NEWS March 27th

NBA Betting: San Antonio Spurs -11 pound the Los Angeles Clippers - NBA Betting - Free NBA Free Picks
San Antonio Spurs -11 pound the Los Angeles Clippers
By: Al McMordie

With the return of Manu Ginobli plus having Tim Duncan back in the lineup Friday night, the San Antonio Spurs will coast past the Los Angeles Clippers at home.
Our Friday night NBA selection is on the San Antonio Spurs at home in the AT&T Center minus the points over the Los Angeles Clippers.

Slowly, but surely, the Spurs are getting healthier. Manu Ginobili returned to the lineup in the Spurs victory vs. the Hawks, and although he shot just 1-for-7 from the field, the most important thing was that he reported his ankle had fully healed. Make no mistake about it, Ginobili is one of the game's best players, and the Spurs are infinitely better with him in the lineup.

Besides getting Ginobili back, the other positive taken from the victory in Atlanta was that it was executed without Tim Duncan, whom coach Greg Popovich rested. Duncan will return tonight, so with its best three players on the court, I expect San Antonio to roll over Los Angeles. Lay the points.

Free Pick: Spurs -11 (-110)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-27-09, 08:24 AM

Duncan says Parker an MVP candidate
Duncan says Parker an MVP candidate
By Mike Monroe
Being a two-time winner of the NBA's most coveted individual award gives Spurs captain Tim Duncan a certain gravitas when it comes to evaluating the closest Most Valuable Player race in recent memory.

Who does Duncan like in this season's race to the finish for MVP?

“I'm staying as far away from that question as I possibly can,” Duncan said as he walked toward the bus that would take the Spurs to their charter flight out of Atlanta after one of their best road victories since the All-Star break.

Choosing among the Lakers' Kobe Bryant, Cleveland's LeBron James and Miami's Dwyane Wade is fraught with peril for any expert, even one with Duncan's credentials.

There is one bit of advice for NBA voters Duncan has no fear of asserting: His teammate, Tony Parker, deserves consideration for a place at the end of every ballot, on which voters are required to list their choices in order, one through five.

“Absolutely,” Duncan said. “Of course, I'm biased, obviously. But with the position that we're in, second in the West, right in the mix, and with the amount of injuries we've dealt with all year, he's kept this team consistent, and he's been the consistent one all year long. He should definitely have an opportunity to be in that top five.”

Parker and the Spurs will be back on the campaign trail tonight, playing the Los Angeles Clippers at the AT&T Center.

Parker has presented a case to voters this season that transcends the need for Duncan to play campaign manager. His 42-point outburst in the Spurs' 102-92 victory over the Hawks at Philips Arena on Wednesday night was his 11th of the season of 30 or more. He is scoring at a career-high clip of 21.9 points. His 20 assists in the Spurs' last two games pushed his season average to 7.0, which puts him on pace for a career high in that key category, too.

The 6-foot-1 point guard is proving his game need not be either-or when it comes to scoring and distributing. Tuesday's and Wednesday's points-assists double-doubles continued a season-long trend: When Parker has at least 10 assists, his scoring also takes a leap.

In the 13 games this season in which Parker has had double-figure assists, his scoring average is 27.3. In the other 44 games he has played, his scoring average is 20.5.

“I didn't know that,” Parker said after his Wednesday night opus in Atlanta. “I think it just means that Pop is doing a great job of calling a bunch of plays for me when Timmy and Manu are out. It's easier for me to get some assists and scoring opportunities with Timmy and Manu out.”

The very fact Parker has carried the burden of keeping the Spurs' offense efficient in the absence of his fellow members of the Spurs' “Big Three” is what Duncan believes makes him worthy of some votes when MVP selectors get past the MVP Big Three of Bryant, James and Wade.

“He's been unbelievable,” Duncan said. “He's been this way for the last 15 games. He's been scoring the ball and making the right decisions. When he's making the right passes, it confuses everybody out there. It confuses every defense possible. You want to go help, and he finds people. You want to not help, and then he's scoring his jumper.

“The way he's going right now, he's a monster.”

Spurs guard Manu Ginobili, who played Wednesday for the first time since Feb. 11, said the monster game was on a short list of the best he ever had seen from Parker, including his career-high scoring night in Minnesota earlier this season, when he pumped in 55 points in a double-overtime win.

Parker also had 42 in regulation in that game, then added 13 in the extra sessions.

“It's probably one of the best games I've ever seen him play, because he was unstoppable, but at the same time he was really good finding people,” Ginobili said. “There was a stretch where he found Roger (Mason), Fin (Michael Finley) and Matt (Bonner), all in a row. They didn't know what to do. He was impressive.”
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-27-09, 08:25 AM

Friday: Spurs (47-24) vs. Clippers (18-54)
Friday: Spurs (47-24) vs. Clippers (18-54)

Time: 7:30 p.m.
TV: KMYS
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS
POS - SPURS - CLIPPERS

PG 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 8th yr) - 1 Baron Davis (6-3, 10th yr)
Parker has 72 points, 20 assists in Spurs' last two games.

SG - 8 Roger Mason Jr. (6-5, 5th yr) - 10 Eric Gordon (6-3, 1st yr)
Mason was 7 for 10, 2 of 5 on threes, in Wednesday's win over Hawks.

SF - 4 Michael Finley (6-7, 14th yr) - 12 Al Thornton (6-8, 2nd yr)
Thornton is third-leading scorer among all second-year players.

PF 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 12th yr) - 50 Zach Randolph (6-9, 8th yr)
Duncan has sat out second game of last two back-to-back sets.

C - 15 Matt Bonner (6-10, 5th yr) - 23 Marcus Camby (6-11, 13th yr)
Camby averaging a double-double, 10.9 points and 11.6 rebounds.

SPURS RESERVES
12 Bruce Bowen, F, 6-7, 13th yr
20 Manu Ginobili, G, 6-6, 7th yr
3 George Hill, G, 6-2, 1st yr
7 Fabricio Oberto, C, 6-10, 4th yr
40 Kurt Thomas, C/F, 6-9, 14th yr
5 Ime Udoka, G/F, 6-5, 5th yr
90 Drew Gooden, F, 6-9, 7th yr

CLIPPERS RESERVES
3 Alex Acker, G, 6-5, 2nd yr
4 Mike Taylor, G, 6-2, 1st yr
2 Fred Jones, G, 6-2, 7th yr
9 DeAndre Jordan, C, 6-11, 1st yr
35 Chris Kaman, C, 6-11, 6th yr
20 Steve Novak, F, 6-10, 3rd yr
8 Brian Skinner, F, 6-9, 11th yr

COACHES
Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Clippers: Mike Dunleavy

INJURIES
Spurs: Ian Mahinmi (right ankle surgery) is out.
Clippers: Ricky Davis (sore left knee) and Mardy Collins (plantar fasciitis, right foot) are out.

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS
Spurs: Mahinmi, Jacque Vaughn
Clippers: Davis, Collins

NOTABLE
Clippers come into the game off of a 140-135 victory over the Knicks at Madison Square Garden in which Zach Randolph tortured his former team, making 15 of 21 shots and scoring 33. ... Rookie George Hill has played only 14:47 in the past three games, including no minutes at Atlanta. ... Spurs will be back on the road after this game, heading to New Orleans for a Sunday game against the Hornets.

- Mike Monroe
Old 03-27-09, 08:27 AM

NBA Great Debates: Which Team Has the Best Chance of Pulling Off a First-Round Playoff Upset? - MVN Outsider
NBA Great Debates: Which Team Has the Best Chance of Pulling Off a First-Round Playoff Upset?
NBA Outsider's Joe Boikess and Adam Sweeney debate the issue: Which team has the best chance of pulling off an upset in the first round of the 2009 NBA playoffs?

Joe Boikess believes the Jazz will upset the Rockets:

At this point in the NBA season, with so much yet to be decided and only a few weeks worth of games to sort it all out, it's tough to predict what the playoff matchups will look like. The standings are changing in both conferences every day. Three division races still have yet to be wrapped up, and two of those (the Southwest and Northwest) likely won't be settled until the last day of the season.

But nevertheless, basketball junkies like myself just love to prognosticate. In the West, the eight playoff teams are pretty much set, unless the Phoenix Suns can somehow overcome a three game deficit with 11 to play to knock the Mavericks out of the picture. It really doesn't matter if it's Phoenix or Dallas in that eighth spot, because neither of them will beat the Lakers in the first round.

So which team has the best chance to pull off a first-round upset? With the way the standings look at the moment, I'll take the sixth-seeded Utah Jazz over the third-seeded Houston Rockets.

Fans who have followed the league closely over the years know the history between these two teams. The Jazz knocked the Rockets out of the playoffs in each of the last two seasons, even though Houston held home court advantage both times. The Rockets still haven't gotten past the first round of the playoffs since the 1996-97 season.

This year, the Jazz and Rockets split their four-game season series right down the middle, with the home team winning every game. The Jazz have always been tough at home over the years, and this season it's no different. They currently have a 13-game home winning streak and hold the league's third-best home record behind the Cavaliers and Lakers at 30-6. Unfortunately, they're also a less-than-mediocre 14-21 on the road, including 0-8 against any of the West's other top eight teams away from home.

How could the Jazz win a seven-game series against Houston without home court advantage, you ask? First of all, the Jazz could easily still win their division and the Rockets could fall out of the West's top four, setting up a Jazz-Rockets 4/5 or 6/3 matchup with the Jazz having home court.

But even if the current seedings hold up and Utah is forced to play four on the road in the first round, I think they can pull it off by winning at least one at the Toyota Center in Houston while taking care of business at home.

The Jazz wouldn't have any way to stop Yao Ming, but I think Utah has the physical personnel in Ronnie Brewer and Andrei Kirilenko to disrupt Ron Artest's game. Deron Williams is much bigger and stronger than Rockets point guard Aaron Brooks and would have the edge on both ends of the court in that matchup. The tag-team of Carlos Boozer and Paul Millsap would limit Luis Scola's contributions. Throw in the perimeter shooting from Mehmet Okur and Kyle Korver, and I don't see how the Rockets could possibly have enough to stop Utah in the playoffs.

Adam Sweeney likes the Trail Blazers to upset the Spurs:

The Jazz definitely looked like the real deal in beating Houston by 13 on Tuesday, but don't they always look like the real deal at home? As a Houston native, I pray that you're wrong. I wish Yao Ming and the Rockets could get past Deron Williams, who for some reasons makes me think of the documentary American Pimp when I see him, and the Jazz.

It's difficult to really consider any lower seed winning in a match-up between the Western Conference 3-6 seeds an upset. They're all so close together in terms of winning percentage. As you mentioned, by the the end of the season the Jazz may be ranked higher than the Rockets. So a Jazz victory then wouldn't be an upset but more a matter of business as usual. Add on the fact that the Rockets have lost two straight seasons in the playoffs already to the Jazz and you can see that the Rockets beating the Jazz would probably be more surprising than the other way around.

It's unrealistic to think that the Lakers will lose to the Mavs or Suns. The Eastern Conference powerhouses aren't getting knocked out in the first round. Cleveland, Boston and Orlando are all too good to allow that to the likes of the Philadelphia 76ers, Detroit Pistons and Chicago Miami Vice. A 4-5 match-up can't qualify as an upset possibility, so what does that leave us with?

For the sake of argument, and isn't that what this whole article is about really, I will dance a bit on the edge of the 3-6 seeding and say that the Portland Trail Blazers have the best chance to pull off the biggest upset by beating the San Antonio Spurs.

The Trail Blazers jumped on the radar last year when they won 13 games in a row and looked like they could sneak into the playoffs. Unfortunately they weren't able to keep the momentum and faded in the second half, not unexpected considering how young they were.

This year the Blazers have the swagger that a playoff team looking to knock off one of the big dogs must have. Brandon Roy is emerging as one of the best end of the game shooters in the Association, LaMarcus Aldridge is criminally underrated and their bench is good enough to be the starting five for last year's New York Knicks.

The Blazers basically got two first-round picks this season with the addition of Rudy Fernandez and my boy, Lil' Brittle. I will continue calling Greg Oden that until he plays sixty games in an NBA season. Bench play is going to be key against a San Antonio Spurs team that is no stranger to roster depth.

Yes, the Spurs have a world of playoff experience. But there seems to be something off about them this season, doesn't there? Manu Ginobili has been dinged up all season and the Big Fundamental, Tim Duncan, is feeling the aches and pains of his 11th season. Father time waits for no man and eventually the Spurs are going to fall from it. Could it be this year against the likes of Aldridge, Roy and Nicolas Batum, all starters who are below the age of 25?

The Blazers also have a better home record than the Spurs. If they can hold serve at home, it would be up to them to steal one in San Antonio. One out of four is possible.

The key to me is whether the Blazers can slow down Tony Parker. He's an attacking point guard that gives teams that prefer playing a more traditional PG fits. That is where Aldridge, Oden and Joel Przybilla will make or break the Blazers. They have to deny and punish Parker every time he comes into the lane. We all know that Parker can break down a defense as well as almost any PG in the league. Portland can not allow that to happen.

If the Trail Blazers do pull off the unthinkable, it will be because they're too young to know better. I don't see Brandon Roy being intimidated by the spotlight and Steve Blake and LaMarcus Aldridge both have big game experience in college. No, March Madness isn't necessarily the same as the NBA Playoffs, but it can't hurt to being familiar to playing in a do or die atmosphere.

The final reason for thinking the Spurs are vulnerable is simple. No team that starts Matt Bonner should be considered a title contender. I have mad love for former Florida Gators hoopers but any guy who reminds you of your Communications professor in college has to be considered a weak link, right? The Spurs are ripe for an upset. Why can't this be the season?
Old 03-27-09, 09:46 AM
The Eternal Optimist

Last things first, if the team starting Bonner has K Thomas, D Gooden, and F Oberto waitnig in the wings, I say, "not so fast! Stop, Think, Re-evaluate yourself and consider what having a well rested Ginobilie, Gooden and a semi-rested Duncan means when combined with the likes of Jr, Fin, and spot reliever/designated spot defender (also well rested) B Bowen." Not to mention former Blazer starter, I Udoka, buried in the rotation along with rook G Hill, who should emerge from hitting the wall or Pop's doghouse in time for the playoffs. this Spurs outfit has more different pieces to go to different styles of play and match up better than any recent team.
Old 03-27-09, 09:48 AM
The Eternal Optimist

The other thought was the Jazz beating the Rockets in the first round is just history and form holding true. If the Rockets win, then it is an upset!
Old 03-27-09, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
Last things first, if the team starting Bonner has K Thomas, D Gooden, and F Oberto waitnig in the wings, I say, "not so fast! Stop, Think, Re-evaluate yourself and consider what having a well rested Ginobilie, Gooden and a semi-rested Duncan means when combined with the likes of Jr, Fin, and spot reliever/designated spot defender (also well rested) B Bowen." Not to mention former Blazer starter, I Udoka, buried in the rotation along with rook G Hill, who should emerge from hitting the wall or Pop's doghouse in time for the playoffs. this Spurs outfit has more different pieces to go to different styles of play and match up better than any recent team.
I might not be as optimistic as u r but u have a point. It all depends on the chemistry between the pieces that worries me the most.
[email protected]
Old 03-27-09, 11:44 AM

Los Angeles Clippers (18-54) at San Antonio Spurs (47-24), 8:30 p.m. | News | NHL | TheScore.com
Los Angeles Clippers (18-54) at San Antonio Spurs (47-24), 8:30 p.m.
(Sports Network) - The San Antonio Spurs hope to build on their slim lead in the jumbled Southwest Division tonight when they host the hapless Los Angeles Clippers.

The Spurs, who lead idle Houston by a game in the division, will be shooting for their 12th straight overall win over the Clips and their 13th straight triumph over LA in the Alamo City. New Orleans is just 2 1/2 games back of San Antonio in the Southwest while fourth place Dallas is also within shouting distance at four games back.

San Antonio, minus All-Star Tim Duncan, is coming off an impressive road win in Atlanta on Wednesday when Tony Parker posted game-highs of 42 points and 10 assists, scoring 18 in the fourth quarter to help put the wraps on the Spurs' 102-92 triumph over the Hawks.

Roger Mason had 18 points and Michael Finley 13 for the Spurs, who won their second in a row.

Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich elected to rest Duncan but Manu Ginobili made his return to the hardwood after missing more than 1 1/2 months due to a nagging ankle injury. The Argentine standout logged a little more than 14 minutes of floor time after having not played since February 11. He was 1- of-7 from the floor, finishing with two points.

Duncan, meanwhile, is expected to return to action tonight.

The Clippers are just playing out the string in another disappointing season. The team did improve to 1-3 on a six-game road trip on Wednesday with an exciting overtime win at Madison Square Garden.

Mike Taylor had a career-high 35 points and keyed a crucial run in the extra frame, as history repeated itself in LA's 140-135 win over the New York Knicks.

In the teams' other meeting this season, on February 11, New York's Al Harrington earned a technical foul for pulling himself up on the rim after a dunk and slapping the backboard with both hands. The subsequent free throw allowed the game to go to overtime, with the Clippers winning 128-124.

On Wednesday, Harrington -- who tied a season-high with 38 points to lead the Knicks -- dunked with 27.9 seconds to play. It gave the Knicks a 127-124 lead, but again he was given a technical foul for pulling himself up and hanging on the rim.

Eric Gordon hit the free throw for LA, and Zach Randolph's two free throws on the Clippers' possession tied the game, sending it to overtime.

Randolph added 33 points for LA, while Al Thornton ended with 21 points and nine rebounds. Gordon scored 19 and Baron Davis finished with 13 points and six assists.

The Clippers, who are a miserable 8-28 on the road this season, have not won back-to-back games since February 23 and 25. LA will finish its road trip in Houston on Saturday.
Old 03-27-09, 11:44 AM

http://www.thescore.com/nba/nba_news...eid=2009032724
Los Angeles Clippers (18-54) at San Antonio Spurs (47-24), 8:30 p.m.
(Sports Network) - The San Antonio Spurs hope to build on their slim lead in the jumbled Southwest Division tonight when they host the hapless Los Angeles Clippers.

The Spurs, who lead idle Houston by a game in the division, will be shooting for their 12th straight overall win over the Clips and their 13th straight triumph over LA in the Alamo City. New Orleans is just 2 1/2 games back of San Antonio in the Southwest while fourth place Dallas is also within shouting distance at four games back.

San Antonio, minus All-Star Tim Duncan, is coming off an impressive road win in Atlanta on Wednesday when Tony Parker posted game-highs of 42 points and 10 assists, scoring 18 in the fourth quarter to help put the wraps on the Spurs' 102-92 triumph over the Hawks.

Roger Mason had 18 points and Michael Finley 13 for the Spurs, who won their second in a row.

Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich elected to rest Duncan but Manu Ginobili made his return to the hardwood after missing more than 1 1/2 months due to a nagging ankle injury. The Argentine standout logged a little more than 14 minutes of floor time after having not played since February 11. He was 1- of-7 from the floor, finishing with two points.

Duncan, meanwhile, is expected to return to action tonight.

The Clippers are just playing out the string in another disappointing season. The team did improve to 1-3 on a six-game road trip on Wednesday with an exciting overtime win at Madison Square Garden.

Mike Taylor had a career-high 35 points and keyed a crucial run in the extra frame, as history repeated itself in LA's 140-135 win over the New York Knicks.

In the teams' other meeting this season, on February 11, New York's Al Harrington earned a technical foul for pulling himself up on the rim after a dunk and slapping the backboard with both hands. The subsequent free throw allowed the game to go to overtime, with the Clippers winning 128-124.

On Wednesday, Harrington -- who tied a season-high with 38 points to lead the Knicks -- dunked with 27.9 seconds to play. It gave the Knicks a 127-124 lead, but again he was given a technical foul for pulling himself up and hanging on the rim.

Eric Gordon hit the free throw for LA, and Zach Randolph's two free throws on the Clippers' possession tied the game, sending it to overtime.

Randolph added 33 points for LA, while Al Thornton ended with 21 points and nine rebounds. Gordon scored 19 and Baron Davis finished with 13 points and six assists.

The Clippers, who are a miserable 8-28 on the road this season, have not won back-to-back games since February 23 and 25. LA will finish its road trip in Houston on Saturday.
Old 03-27-09, 05:20 PM

Fabricio Oberto sidelined with irruegular heartbeat - NBA - SI.com
Spurs bench Oberto with irregular heartbeat
SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- San Antonio Spurs forward Fabricio Oberto will miss their next two NBA games because of an irregular heartbeat.

Oberto felt his heart beating abnormally on Thursday, and tests confirmed he was experiencing atrial fibrillation. His heart is back to normal, but Oberto will not play on Friday against the Los Angeles Clippers or on Sunday against New Orleans so he can be monitored by doctors.

The Argentine is averaging 2.7 points and 2.7 rebounds off the bench.