News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 02-27-09, 03:36 AM
Dr. Dash

Cavaliers-Spurs Preview

Cavaliers-Spurs Preview

Point guard Tony Parker has done a remarkable job keeping the San Antonio Spurs' home winning streak alive with the team's other stars sidelined by injuries.

Extending that run will likely be more challenging with the Cleveland Cavaliers coming to town.

The Spurs hope to have Tim Duncan back in the lineup as they go for their seventh straight win at home - and fifth in a row overall - on Friday night in their first meeting with the Eastern Conference-leading Cavaliers.

Duncan has missed San Antonio's last two games because of right quad tendonosis, and he's day-to-day. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Wednesday the team would have to wait and see if Duncan's healthy enough to play against the Cavaliers.

``(Tuesday) night he had no strength in his leg,'' Popovich said. ``It's not quite as bad today.''

The Spurs (39-17) were already without Manu Ginobili, who hasn't played since the All-Star break because of a stress reaction in his right ankle and is expected to miss at least one more week.

Without two-thirds of the trio that has led the Spurs to three NBA titles in six years, Parker has been San Antonio's top offensive option. He had 37 points and 12 assists in a 93-76 win over Dallas on Tuesday, then scored 39 with nine assists in a 99-84 victory over Portland the following night.

``Tony Parker was a super stud again, and generated the offense again,'' Popovich said. ``His leadership on the floor was exceptional.''

In the two games without Duncan, Parker has shot 54.2 percent (32-for-59) from the field while totaling 72 minutes.

``I prepared myself today,'' Parker said Wednesday. ``I drank a lot of water. ... I knew (Duncan) was not going to play, so I prepared myself to play 40 minutes.''

While Parker has managed to carry the Spurs lately, keeping the home winning streak alive will probably be more challenging against the Cavaliers, one of the NBA's best road teams at 18-11.

However, Cleveland (44-12) delivered a flat offensive performance in a 93-74 loss at Houston on Thursday in the opener of a four-game trip. The Cavaliers recorded season lows in points, field-goal percentage (33.8) and assists (10).

LeBron James, perhaps the league's leading MVP candidate, was held without an assist for the first time in 493 career games, including the postseason.

``I'm not happy with that at all,'' said James, who had 21 points and went 7-for-21 from the field. ``I can't remember the last time I didn't have an assist, but as a team, we didn't move the ball at all. We'll just move on to the next game.''

Cleveland has done a very good job of that so far. It's 9-2 in the second half of back-to-backs and 10-1 in games following a loss.

While Duncan's status is uncertain, the Cavaliers know they'll be without their top interior defender for a while. Ben Wallace broke his right leg Thursday and will be sidelined four to six weeks.

``It's a tough blow for us,'' said coach Mike Brown, whose team passed up chances to acquire a big man before the trade deadline. ``We just have to have somebody step up and play some quality minutes for us.''

The Cavaliers and Spurs split two games last season, their first meetings since San Antonio swept Cleveland in the 2007 finals.

James had 27 points, nine rebounds and seven assists in a 90-88 win in San Antonio on Jan. 17, 2008. He had 39 in the clubs' next game, but was outdone by Ginobili's 46 in the Spurs' 112-105 road victory Feb. 13.

James is averaging 31.4 points and shooting 51.2 percent in five career wins over the Spurs. He's been held to 23.1 points and 40.9 percent shooting in nine losses, including the playoffs.

USATODAY.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-27-09, 03:37 AM
Dr. Dash

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-27-09, 05:14 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Going to be a tough game. LBJ will not have back 2 back bad games. Spurs will need to bring their game....would help if Timmy plays BUT I'm not opposed to him sitting and us trying to play pops 10-15 minutes...lets see what this guy has against one of the best!
Old 02-27-09, 06:53 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Hopefully Timmy's back tonight!!!!!!

Spurs 96

Cavs 89
Old 02-27-09, 08:05 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher View Post
Cavaliers-Spurs Preview

...since San Antonio swept Cleveland in the 2007 finals....
I just LOVE hearing that. No matter how many times, it never grows old...

Spurs 103
Cavs 96
Old 02-27-09, 10:01 AM
NBA Ref Wrangler

Boil the Crabs!!!

NBA.com - Referee Assignments
Referee Assignments
Feb 27, 2009
Cleveland @ San Antonio--S. Foster; K. Fehr; P. Robinson

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
---Winston Churchill (1903)
Old 02-27-09, 10:53 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

It will sure be a strange game without Bruce on LeBron... I hope pop don´t take long to put him in, because he will have a party with Finley and Mason guarding him.

I hope LeBron is not in rythm by the time Bruce enters the game.
Old 02-27-09, 11:41 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

LeBron is gonna kill us but we have to make sure to Rebound well and avoid Turnovers; then we will have a good chance to win.

$
Old 02-27-09, 01:36 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Has anybody heard anything new about Timmy's status? Is he still a game time decision?

Last edited by esparzar1; 02-27-09 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-27-09, 01:51 PM

Lebron was also limping at the end of last night's game. i wonder what his condition is ?
Old 02-27-09, 02:34 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Spurs 93
Cavs 90
Old 02-27-09, 05:31 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
Lebron was also limping at the end of last night's game. i wonder what his condition is ?
I noticed that last night, but nothing mentioned so far, it could be that he will tape it and play, just my guess..He is a very tough kid....He won't back up from a small tweak unless his coaches held him up..

I doubt Timmy will play he needs to heal that muscle/tissue and not aggrevate it. Pop knows best not to play him....

Don't worry Timmy Spurs will be fine until you heal, the most important now is your health Man...

Spurs must Bring their A-1 game. It will be a very tough matchup. Defense wins 99% of the time.

ALL SPURS WILL BRING IT!!!!!

SPURS 91
Cavs 87

Go Spurs Go
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 02-27-09, 05:57 PM
Dr. Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilboinsa View Post
I just LOVE hearing that. No matter how many times, it never grows old...

Spurs 103
Cavs 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelshor View Post
Boil the Crabs!!!
I had to think about that one for a second.

Spurs 101
Crabs 92
Old 02-27-09, 06:09 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

If Timmy plays we win if he does not it will be difficult unless all our role players step up big time. My hope is Spurs 95 - 90
Old 02-27-09, 10:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I expected that this will be a Spurs loss.. But, it's nice to see the effort of the young guys.. Pops and Malik..

The POP and POPS connection! LOL!