News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 02-04-09, 11:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Next Spurs big man - Mensah Bonsu ?

The Austin Toros just acquired Pops Mensah-Bonsu last week. He has only played 3 games with the Toros, but he is sure making an impression.

In 109 minutes total played in three games he has the following numbers:

79 points
28 rebounds (12 offensive)
7 assists
9 steals
6 blocks

He is very athletic and seems quit skilled in general. He plays the F,C position for the Toros even thought he is only 6'9". The two games I watched him play in were against two different type teams. One had a small quick front court, the other had the tall bulky guys up front. Pops did equally well against both of them. He seems to be skilled at getting position down low for rebounds or on offense. And he can run the floor.

And he is doing this well after only 3 games, even though he does not know the Toros system very well yet.

Instead of trying to find a big man to trade for, and probably ending up paying too much for someone who is only adequate, maybe the Spurs would consider bringing up Pops. From what I have seen so far, Mensah-Bonsu doesn't belong in the D-League. He looks like an adult playing with the kids. During the game against the Colorado 14ers in which Mensah-Bonsu was pretty much having his way, the local Colorado announcer felt compelled on several occasions to say "Colorado has no answer for Mensah-Bonsu".
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-04-09, 11:26 PM
Dead Man Walking

digging around in some credible sources (wikipedia)

NBADraft.net says he "...has great strength and agility, one of the most explosive leapers in the college game" but that he is "...extremely raw offensively, he has no offensive game at all."

looks like he can defend a big at a professional level especially the likes of dirk and gasoft, probley not so much an answer to snaq... if the spurs front office like what they see. He may just be wearing silver and black in trash time before Mahinmi
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-04-09, 11:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

we have 15 guys on roster already... we'd have to trade 2 of them for 1 player to open a spot or outright cut one of them
Old 02-04-09, 11:43 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Old 02-05-09, 12:37 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNick2261 View Post
we have 15 guys on roster already... we'd have to trade 2 of them for 1 player to open a spot or outright cut one of them
Are you sure? I only count 14 and that's what the Spurs website says (Croshere was a 10 day deal and AFAIK they haven't resigned him).

I would like for us to give ol' Pops a shot. Kind of funny-- those #'s are as good or better than what Ian was putting up in the D-League last year. Puts D-league stats in perspective.
Old 02-05-09, 12:54 AM
SpursReport Team Member

you are right.... I think I was still counting Tolliver
Old 02-05-09, 01:18 AM
2012 Eastern Conference Champion

Man that dude can fly
Old 02-05-09, 02:49 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Maybe for a future Spurs team. Malik Hairston over this guy any day.
Old 02-05-09, 03:52 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Lets hope Mensah isn't mensa
Old 02-05-09, 10:07 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I wouldn't mind bringing him in..he stuck with Dallas for a wihle...reminds me of a poor man's version of Diop.
Old 02-05-09, 11:24 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-POST-Bob View Post
digging around in some credible sources (wikipedia)

NBADraft.net says he "...has great strength and agility, one of the most explosive leapers in the college game" but that he is "...extremely raw offensively, he has no offensive game at all."
That quote was from when he graduated in 2006.
He has played in the D-league and overseas since.

Last night it was clear that the Toros offense consisted of dumping it down to Mensah-Bonsu in the post and letting him create or kick out. Just like the Spurs do with Duncan. He ended up with 31 points on the night. So he has gone a long way to fixing his offensive deficiencies. He still shows some raw edges though.

Quote:
looks like he can defend a big at a professional level especially the likes of dirk and gasoft, probley not so much an answer to snaq... if the spurs front office like what they see. He may just be wearing silver and black in trash time before Mahinmi
That is along the lines that I was thinking. He could also play the 3 against the bigger SFs in the league because, with his quickness, he can defend on the perimeter (as long as he is not guarding the quickest guys on the other team). I am thinking guys like Turkoglu, Stojakovic, or Vujacic. Tall players that can hit the perimeter three, but are not all that great driving to the basket. They would have a tough time shooting over Pops because of his size and shot blocking ability, and he is quick enough to stay in front of them if they decide to drive.
Old 02-05-09, 11:35 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Diop? This guys game is nothing like Diop, the guy is very athletic, something Diop isn't.

He looks more like Landry or Bass.

Could anyone imagine Diop doing a windmill that that.........................hahahahaha
no way.........................

And you say I have no basketball knowledge, what an idiot.

Last edited by bo spur; 02-05-09 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-05-09, 11:43 AM
SR 2010 Western Conference Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
Maybe for a future Spurs team. Malik Hairston over this guy any day.
No need to make a choice. You could have both of them on the team (there is still a free space in the roster) and as much as I know they don't play the same positions.
Old 02-05-09, 12:13 PM
SpursReport Team Member

he looks awsome , spurs need to try him out before the trade deadline , just incase we need to make a trade if he doesnt turn out great
Old 02-05-09, 12:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I don't see anything wrong with a 10-day contract. But let's make Pop and RC handle the decisions on that front.

Mike Wilks, we barely knew ye.
Old 02-05-09, 02:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur View Post
Diop? This guys game is nothing like Diop, the guy is very athletic, something Diop isn't.

He looks more like Landry or Bass.

Could anyone imagine Diop doing a windmill that that.........................hahahahaha
no way.........................

And you say I have no basketball knowledge, what an idiot.
Of course you don't. Diop is a defensive center who is more effective defensively and gets garbage putback points.

Bonsu of course has a different style, but he projects to play the same role for the Spurs if he is indeed called up. He'll provide shotblocking, garbage points around the basket, and maybe some dunks. Landry and Bass are both face up scorers. Bonsu projects to be like Diop as a back to the basket player.

Landry and Bass are asked to do more offensively, while Bonsu will be asked to play defense.

Look beyond the youtube videos please. =)
Old 02-05-09, 03:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

As good as he is playing right now in the NBDL, Bonsu may attract looks form other NBA teams who have the same shot at signing as the Spurs do.
Old 02-05-09, 03:20 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Bass isn't mearly a face up post player, he can play with his back to the basket pretty well actually.

Try and look past your whole, I am the greatest basketball know it all in the universe persona.

Anyone the Spurs put in the game can't merely be a defensive player, they have to be aggresive on offense to, because when guys like JV or Rasho get into the game and do nothing on offense, the man guarding them reaks havock on the rest of the Spurs and they become worthless.
Old 02-05-09, 04:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

"Rasho get into the game"

Rasho still plays for the Spurs?
Old 02-05-09, 07:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Everything looks good excepts his height but then a little video can manke anybody look like Michael Jordan. I will say this the dude has major hops!!!

So is he better then our draft picks...Ian or James Gist?
Old 02-05-09, 08:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur View Post
Bass isn't mearly a face up post player, he can play with his back to the basket pretty well actually.

Try and look past your whole, I am the greatest basketball know it all in the universe persona.

Anyone the Spurs put in the game can't merely be a defensive player, they have to be aggresive on offense to, because when guys like JV or Rasho get into the game and do nothing on offense, the man guarding them reaks havock on the rest of the Spurs and they become worthless.
He's more of a face up player, it's what he's know for and what he does. Not saying he doesn't have a face up game, I'm sure Bonsu has some face up moves, just not his strength.

KT/Fab are asked to do more on defense than offense. I'm sure Bonsu will fill the same role. Ian when he comes back is the better scoring punch.
Old 02-05-09, 09:35 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Well at this point of the season even if we do give him a ten day contract I doubt Pop plays him much. I think it around the time that Pop wants to get his rotation set for the upcomming play
Old 02-05-09, 09:56 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

The Spurs next big man is probably a senior in high school planning on attending the Naval Academy. I hope.

Once upon a time, giants ruled the earth....
Old 02-06-09, 01:16 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Having a guy with little face-up game wouldn't be all bad. If he can post up, that would still work.

A lot of TD's shots this year have come from the perimeter, by design. It would work fine to have a guy play near the basket IF WE COULD FIND ONE WHO CAN ACTUALLY THROW DOWN.
Old 02-07-09, 06:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think Mensah-Bonsu's main contribution would come when Tim sits down. When that happens the Spurs do not have a true shot blocker on defense, and someone who can get a few points down low on offense.
Old 02-09-09, 02:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I saw the Vipers Vs Toros game last night. It was a tough defensive battle interupted by some sloppy intervals where noone could do anything right.

I mentioned in a previous post that, in their offence, the Toros were using Pops like the Spurs use Duncan, they send the ball inside to Pops in the post and let him score or kick out.

Well, the Toros opponents have now started taking a page from the book on how to defend Duncan. Everytime the Toros dumped the ball in, the Vipers double-teamed him.

As a result he only had 22 points last night. However, he also had 18 rebounds (7 offensive) and 6 blocked shots.
Old 02-09-09, 10:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Which leads you to wonder how good Ian would realy be playing for us. If you looked at just number this guys is blowing Ian's numbers in scoring and killing him in the rebounding stats.

His only problem is he is a tweener at 6'9 he is to small for center and doesn't have an outside shot for the sf position. He kinda reminds me of our second round pick James Gist that alot of us liked who is playing over seas.

But this kid is putting up huge numbers even doing better then two Spurs players Ahearn and Tolliver. So that at least tells you he can play in the NBA..I would try him out for a ten day contract...hell just teach him to do the Bowen ..three in the corner pocket and he is a keeper at SF.

Ps. I love that teams name "VIPERS".......that's cool!!!

Last edited by BackHome; 02-09-09 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-10-09, 11:52 AM
SpursReport Team Member

He reminds me of Malik Rose in his hustle and in-between size. But athletically he is more like Rose on a pogo stick.
Old 02-10-09, 12:10 PM
The Master Baiter

Meh...we've seen all this before with other "future all stars" in the NBDL.
Old 02-10-09, 03:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Unfortunately, there is a huge quality difference between NBDL and NBA. That's why, i can't estimate most of NBDL stars can play more than 5 minutes in NBA. This year's NBDL hero Courtney Sims signed a 10 day contract with Phoenix but couldn't crack 12 men rotation. Bonsu is playing very well and has nice stats, but NBA is a very different story.
Old 02-10-09, 10:09 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

only 22 points, 18 rebounds, and 6 blocked shots facing double team defense???????

mh very bad player...
Old 02-14-09, 01:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post
Unfortunately, there is a huge quality difference between NBDL and NBA. That's why, i can't estimate most of NBDL stars can play more than 5 minutes in NBA. This year's NBDL hero Courtney Sims signed a 10 day contract with Phoenix but couldn't crack 12 men rotation. Bonsu is playing very well and has nice stats, but NBA is a very different story.

I understand your point but I have actually seen him play. I started this thread because I saw some substance to the numbers.

For example, he has a lot of blocked shots. But it is how he gets them that I think is significant. I have seen him block the shots of perimeter shooters , of big guys going up for dunks ( weak side help), and of face up post players. I have also seen a spectacular block from behind. He was chasing a fast break and was way behind his man. His man got to the baseline, stopped, turned, and went up for a 5 ft jump shot and Pops came rocketing by behind him and blocked the shot as it left his opponents hand. That is athleticism coupled with skill in timing and anticipation.

Likewise on his rebounds. It is not just that he gets a lot of rebounds. One of the things I noticed is his skill in working his way under the basket to get the rebounds. It is not easy to block him out, and I see him with inside position on a lot of occasions to snatch offensive rebounds. More so than any other player I have seen recently, at any level.

To be sure, he is still raw and makes dumb mistakes. I have read somewhere that he is another one of those players that did not start playing basketball until later in life. But to me, he looks like a natural.
Old 02-14-09, 01:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackHome View Post
Which leads you to wonder how good Ian would realy be playing for us. If you looked at just number this guys is blowing Ian's numbers in scoring and killing him in the rebounding stats.

His only problem is he is a tweener at 6'9 he is to small for center and doesn't have an outside shot for the sf position. He kinda reminds me of our second round pick James Gist that alot of us liked who is playing over seas.

But this kid is putting up huge numbers even doing better then two Spurs players Ahearn and Tolliver. So that at least tells you he can play in the NBA..I would try him out for a ten day contract...hell just teach him to do the Bowen ..three in the corner pocket and he is a keeper at SF.

Ps. I love that teams name "VIPERS".......that's cool!!!
Another 6'9" tweener playing PF position and doing a pretty good job... Carlos Boozer

Not saying he's Boozer... or even if their games are similar... just their heights
Old 02-14-09, 04:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I just read an interview with him in which he said he did not start playing organized basketball until he turned 16 or 17.
Old 02-14-09, 05:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

At this point I would rather have him then Ian.....and who knows if we could just teach him to hit a open jump shot then we got a keeper. All we need at the SF is a guy who can be a great defender and on offense just sit in the the corner and hit the open three.........ie...BRUCEY...
Old 02-14-09, 05:34 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steefposton View Post
"Rasho get into the game"

Rasho still plays for the Spurs?
It's hard to say.

Even when Rasho played for the Spurs, it was hard to say whether or not he played for the Spurs.

Once upon a time, giants ruled the earth....
Old 02-15-09, 09:00 PM
SpursReport Team Member

this guy seems like EXACTLY what we need, forget Mahinmi why dont we pick this guy up?!
Old 02-16-09, 09:41 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
this guy seems like EXACTLY what we need, forget Mahinmi why dont we pick this guy up?!
because it seems no one else is interested at the moment and he's always been a fringe player.
Old 02-17-09, 12:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
I can think of a couple of possibilities. He just arrived in the d-league (this time around) a few weeks ago. People are probably watching to see if his statistics are some kind of fluke (so am I). With longer playing time they may return to more mundane levels.

Another thing is that he is still kind of raw. Anyone who signs him is probably going to send him down to the d-league again anyway.

Another possibility is that there is something that we don't see that is holding him back. If he has problems understanding the system he is playing in or understanding his assignments, then that is a problem.

Still, he had another good game last night. 26 pts 18 rebounds (9 offensive) but only 2 blocked shots.

I mentioned in a previous post that opponents have started taking a page out of the book of defending against Tim Duncan, and had started double teaming Pops in the post. Now they have gone to the next logical step and foul him almost every time he gets the ball down low. He had 19 free throw attempts last night. Unfortunately he only made 10.

If there is one flaw in his game, it is his free throw shooting. He only shoots 65% from the free throw line. If that does not convince people that he is a natural for the Spurs nothing will.

Despite the fact that the Arsenal were fouling him quite a bit, he shot 8-14 which equates to 57% from the field.
Old 02-25-09, 10:29 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Looks like the Spurs signed Pops, but I am having trouble finding confirmation.
Old 02-25-09, 10:57 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I'm looking for confirmation as well. He would be a good pickup. Also, if he's signed would it be for the rest of the season or can they still offer 10 day deals at this point of the season?
Old 02-25-09, 11:57 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

I hope he can get in some game action...
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 02-26-09, 12:12 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

34 seconds... 1 rebound so far...