News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-09, 03:54 PM
Delusional Manu Lover

Charles Barkley is taking a leave of absence from the broadcast booth

Charles Barkley taking leave of absence from TNT - ESPN

PHOENIX -- Charles Barkley is taking a leave of absence from the broadcast booth.
The announcement by Turner Sports came Friday, hours after police said the 45-year-old former NBA star was legally drunk when police arrested him Dec. 31 on suspicion of drunken driving in Scottsdale, Ariz.

Test results show Barkley had a blood-alcohol level at .149, nearly twice the legal limit of .08 in Arizona.

Barkley will be off the air for a minimum of several weeks and no return date has been set, a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press. The person requested anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss it.

"I have spoken with Charles Barkley regarding the incident. .. and I understand he has hired a lawyer to represent him regarding this matter," said David Levy, president of TNT Sports, in a statement. "When I spoke with Charles, he was apologetic for the events that transpired and it was obvious he understands the significance of the situation. This is an important time for Charles as he deals with the legal and personal issues that confront him. Charles is a valued part of the Turner Sports organization and we are concerned for his well-being."

A Gilbert officer working a regional DUI task force stopped Barkley shortly after he left a popular nightclub at about 1:30 a.m. He failed field sobriety tests but was cooperative.

Barkley was booked and released at a field command post and later issued a statement saying he was disappointed he put himself in that situation.
Barkley's attorney wasn't immediately available for comment Friday.

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.

Last edited by Dulce; 01-09-09 at 04:04 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-09-09, 03:59 PM
SpursReport Team Member

if he didn't take a "leave of absence" he would have been kicked off by TNT themselves. People who do what he did rarely keep their jobs in the short term.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-09-09, 04:01 PM
Dr. Dash

Barkley to take leave of absence

Barkley to take leave of absence

By BRIAN MAHONEY, AP Basketball Writer 1 hour, 21 minutes ago

In this July 5, 2007 file photo, retired NBA star Charles Barkley speaks during the Ante Up for Africa charity poker tournament in Las Vegas. Charles Barkley has been arrested on suspicion of drinking and driving Wednesday, Dec. 31, 2008, in Scottsdale, Ariz.

The announcement by Turner Sports came Friday, hours after police said the 45-year-old former NBA star was legally drunk when he was arrested Dec. 31 on suspicion of drunken driving in Scottsdale, Ariz.

Test results show Barkley had a blood-alcohol level at .149, nearly twice the legal limit of .08 in Arizona.

Barkley will be off the air for a minimum of several weeks, and no return date has been set, a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press. The person requested anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss it.

Barkley was stopped by a Gilbert officer working a regional DUI task force shortly after he left a popular nightclub at about 1:30 a.m. He failed field sobriety tests but was cooperative.

He was booked and released at a field command post and later issued a statement saying he was disappointed he put himself in that situation.

“When I spoke with Charles, he was apologetic for the events that transpired and it was obvious he understood the significance of this situation,” said David Levy, president of Turner Sports, said in a statement. “This is an important time for Charles as he deals with the legal and personal issues that confront him. Charles is a valued part of the Turner Sports organization, and we are concerned for his well-being.”

Barkley’s attorney wasn’t immediately available for comment Friday.

Barkley to take leave of absence - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
Old 01-09-09, 04:09 PM
2012 Eastern Conference Champion

I like Barkley. Who are we gonna pick on now?
Old 01-09-09, 04:12 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Buy Chuck..don't let the door hit you on the way out...

Some mistakes are just too much to disappear so fast.....And perhaps can follow you forever...

I remember one very good local SA TV news broadcaster who was charged with DUI about 5 months ago. He quit his job the next day (I guess maybe he was told to do so) before he was fired after issuing a statement of apology to all the SA fans.

Regardless whether he is such a funny character or not. Who wants to listen or watch a commentator who is off the hook in his real life despite being married for so many years and even aiming at future political career talking and judging other players through his own glasses..Anyways.. Not going to work...

IT IS ON BABY!!!!SPURS PO TO DIE FOR!
PHENOMENAL TOTAL CONTROLL WITH SPURS BASKETBALL!
LETS DO IT BABY! NO BS!! NO MERCY! ONE GAME AT A TIME. ONE SERIES AT A TIME.
WE WILL CLOSE THEM ALL!!!
FIRST ROUND VICTIMS = DOS MAVS!

Old 01-09-09, 04:12 PM
admin

Maybe he's taking a leave to go to rehab. I bet he is.

Old 01-09-09, 04:38 PM
Dr. Dash

It's just not going to be the same without him.

stupid charles.

Old 01-09-09, 04:41 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Damnit, TNT without Ginoooooooooooooooobiliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...... He crowned that phrase for us It will not be the same, like him or not he added alot to TNT and made it exciting. I will miss him if he is gone for good, this sucks. All the playoff memories of them on TNT together when the Spurs were making their runs, that will hurt.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 01-09-09, 06:46 PM
2012 Eastern Conference Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Maybe he's taking a leave to go to rehab. I bet he is.

That's what sucks about being a celebrity. If you get caught getting drunk, you got to go to rehab.

I agree he should have not been driving. But to go to rehab?
Old 01-09-09, 09:21 PM
The Eternal Optimist

Marv Albert's reported transgressions were of a far greater magnitude years ago and he is still around. this is totally unfair. It is not like he beat up someone, abused his wife, etc. Yes, drunken driving is irresponsible, but so are many other things people have done and been allowed to carry on. Ball players doing 'roids are not fired, nor are they fired for DUIs. How many CEOs have done the same or worse with little or no consequences? Come on, get over yourselves all you pious types (at the top of the broadcast food chain). To me, this is another time to reflect and follow the "let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
Old 01-09-09, 10:44 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
Marv Albert's reported transgressions were of a far greater magnitude years ago and he is still around. this is totally unfair. It is not like he beat up someone, abused his wife, etc. Yes, drunken driving is irresponsible, but so are many other things people have done and been allowed to carry on. Ball players doing 'roids are not fired, nor are they fired for DUIs. How many CEOs have done the same or worse with little or no consequences? Come on, get over yourselves all you pious types (at the top of the broadcast food chain). To me, this is another time to reflect and follow the "let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
so cheating on your wife with a ho is not abusive??? wow.

I suppose he has to actually kill someone while driving drunk to be a "greater transgression"
than having a panty fetish.
Old 01-10-09, 05:30 AM
admin

Charles has apparently had a drinking problem for some time.
Old 01-10-09, 08:08 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Maybe we have seen the last of Charles on TNT, but lets not forget that money talks. Just ask the rapist playing in LA!
Old 01-10-09, 08:27 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MULLETINO View Post
That's what sucks about being a celebrity. If you get caught getting drunk, you got to go to rehab.

I agree he should have not been driving. But to go to rehab?
Two things to consider:
It would seem to help his case when he appears before a judge.
Maybe Chuck and those close to him think it would be a good idea.

I don't know the man, and rarely spend any thoughts worrying about the personal lives of others in the public eye. What I know about celebrities, I've overheard from my wife. But this does seem to be a good case for the 'cast the first stone' sentiment.
Old 01-10-09, 10:51 AM
The Eternal Optimist

Not what I meant all. He should do whatever necessary to meet the law and insure the safety of the rest of us on the road. For one as regards the infidelity, Clinton was never forced to step down and he admitted to what Chuck 'alledgedly' was on his way to doing. Secondly, how many others have been done for reckless driving, drunken driving, etc and kept their jobs. I was merely making a statement with regard to a double standard existing in many ways for many people.
Old 01-10-09, 02:21 PM
Spurs #1 cheer leader

I hope he comes back. The show will suck without him.

Stay thirsty my friends.
Old 01-10-09, 03:19 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn7mo View Post
I hope he comes back. The show will suck without him.
Yeah, get well soon, Charles. I hope he gets himself straightened out.
Old 01-10-09, 03:48 PM
SpursReport Rookie

So what exactly does one have to do outside of their job to lose their position? Just because someone in a similar situation has kept their jobs doesn't automatically mean that everyone else gets to keep their jobs. The Clinton standard that you mentioned is about as low a standard that you can measure. It has gotten to the point where so many people believe that unless you murder someone then you should continue to keep your job and/or position. The point is that our society has basic standards of decency in place and there's a point where it must be maintained. Charles, unfortunately, has crossed the line. He should never return to TNT or any other NBA outlet. He'll be fine. He has plenty of money and won't have any problems getting a new show on HBO or Showtime or he may even write a book. All of you Chucky supporters don't have to worry about him going away. He just won't be on TNT and they have every right to fire his butt regardless of what anyone else says or thinks. That's the beautiful thing about this country. God Bless America!!!!
Old 01-10-09, 04:10 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

With all the gambling, drinking, and !@#$ing he has to do, it's a wonder he ever made it to the broadcast booth to begin with.

Once upon a time, giants ruled the earth....
Old 01-10-09, 07:05 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Ratings will go down.
Old 01-10-09, 07:25 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birn View Post
So what exactly does one have to do outside of their job to lose their position? Just because someone in a similar situation has kept their jobs doesn't automatically mean that everyone else gets to keep their jobs. The Clinton standard that you mentioned is about as low a standard that you can measure. It has gotten to the point where so many people believe that unless you murder someone then you should continue to keep your job and/or position. The point is that our society has basic standards of decency in place and there's a point where it must be maintained. Charles, unfortunately, has crossed the line. He should never return to TNT or any other NBA outlet. He'll be fine. He has plenty of money and won't have any problems getting a new show on HBO or Showtime or he may even write a book. All of you Chucky supporters don't have to worry about him going away. He just won't be on TNT and they have every right to fire his butt regardless of what anyone else says or thinks. That's the beautiful thing about this country. God Bless America!!!!
And why should anything you do outside of work have any impact on your work performance/evaluation? Using private life to evaluate your work abilities is opening a huge can of worms.

Let's take a case where the person in question is NOT in the public spotlight. If he was driving a company vehicle, then there is potential to fire him for driving in an unsafe manner with company property. Otherwise, this should have absolutely no bearing on his position. So where is the boundry where someone gets fired or not? DWI? Speeding in school zone? Speeding X miles over the limit? Who decides 'X'?

You are advocating a society where employers are allowed to enforce morals over their employees. It sounds fine in a simple, specific case of DWI, but where does it stop? Imagine you work for someone who will not employ you if you are left-handed. Or you can only vote Republican. Or you are gay. Or heterosexual. Or male. Or female.

The US has been through this already. That's why there are so many laws that protect against discrimination. No one can be fired for a perceived lack of morals.

I'm actually a little surprised that someone has come up with this particulat slant. It's scary to think that people STILL believe that EVERY person must adhere to his own personal moral code. I thought we were better.
Old 01-10-09, 08:46 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birn View Post
Society has decency in place??? Dirty judges, Dirty politicians, dirty cops, GOVT (The real drug dealers)., I am sure alot of them get off DUI's and lie and so on to us all the time, I am sure people who really run the country lie to us and drink, some do drugs and get hookers or cheat etc., don't let this fool you into thinking this society is so clean and ethics are all in place, that can't be further from the truth. He got a DUI and has a gambling problem no doubt, does that mean we are the judge and jury? Some judge more than Jesus does, I swear people are the worst when it comes to how you should live and judging others all the time. This society is not clean or pretty or a fantasy land man, you got people in high places doing bad things and they keep their job or you never hear of it, it's just what you hear of that you or others judge as being bad! Society is worse than people can imagine, things are really messed up and real things are happening, a DUI is that huge? If it did not hurt anyone or effect them other than him thats his business, he should do what he has to do to get through it and move on, peace.

THE GOOD SUIT and tie people or the high up or whatever (Free Masons or whatever they are tied into) get a pass and a slap on the wrist, when it is a normal person in society they are bad and it's frowned up, tell me why?
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.

Last edited by Rzarector7; 01-10-09 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-11-09, 12:10 PM
SpursReport Team Member

You know I love Charles to death and he does say some stupid stuff but as an employee of any company you know that your represent your company while at work and while out of work.

I have seen alot of people get fired demoted for doing stupid stuff out of work. Would I fire him for the DWI not if it was his first one. But, saying he was going to get a "blow job" kinda crossed the line for me. Also, I remember watching a Christmas game and they had him ringing a bell and Kenny said "Charles ring your bell and he grapped his pecker" not good stuff to see with kids around.
Old 01-11-09, 02:06 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Charles is a public figure and has a responsibility to his employer to represent them in a manner that doesn't publicly embarass them. I really don't care how Charles chooses to live outside his job or what he thinks. The beautiful thing about all this is that we live in a country where freedom and liberty are what we live by. Nobody can tell Charles how to live his life and nobody can demand to TNT how they should run their business. If they want to fire his sorry butt they certainly can.

The difference between Charles and the rest of us is that we're not public figures. Depending on our positions, what we do outside of work can possibly affect your job. Look at it this way...suppose you are the owner of a successful business with a solid reputation in the community and you get caught with a prostitute getting a BJ and/or a DWI. Your business will almost certainly suffer because of that. The reputation of a business or an individual is the biggest and most valuable asset that anyone owns. Anything that is done that hurts your reputation as a decent business or decent human being is going to be very harmful. That's just reality. It doesn't matter what you think about what our society should tolerate.

Let Freedom Ring! God Bless America, baby!!!
Old 01-11-09, 03:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Damn now I don't have a reason to stay up late for Inside the NBA until he get's back.