News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 01-08-09, 02:17 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Clippers-Spurs Game Thread

Clippers-Spurs Preview
Wire Reports - Comtex AP
Thursday, January 08, 2009

The San Antonio Spurs pulled out a hard-fought win in their last game to continue their surge toward the top of the Western Conference.

They may not have as much trouble holding off an injury-plagued Los Angeles Clippers team that's in the midst of a season-high losing streak and has always struggled in San Antonio.

The Spurs go for their 15th win in 18 games Thursday night when they host the Clippers, losers of eight straight overall and 11 in a row at the AT&T Center.

Despite trailing for only one possession, San Antonio (23-11) was never able to pull away during a 91-84 win over Miami on Monday night. The Spurs built a 10-point lead in the first quarter, but had to make 10 of their 17 field-goal attempts in the fourth to hold off the Heat, who rallied several times.

"These guys have been there before," Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said of the Spurs. "They're a seasoned, veteran team that's played in a lot of big games. You could tell how much poise they have out there. They're totally calm in these type of situations. They've experienced it so many different times."

The performance wasn't the Spurs' most impressive one of the season, but it was enough to get them their 14th win in 17 contests, a surge that's made up for a slow start caused partially by injuries to All Star guards Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker.

"We managed to find a way tonight," forward Tim Duncan said after leading San Antonio with 19 points and nine rebounds Monday.

The Spurs have found plenty of ways to beat the Clippers (8-26) over the years. San Antonio leads the series 104-28 and 58-8 at home. Los Angeles has lost all 11 of trips to the AT&T Center since it opened in 2002.

The Clippers could have a hard time snapping their skid in San Antonio on Thursday, with Baron Davis (tailbone), Zach Randolph (knee) and Chris Kaman (foot) expected to remain sidelined. Ricky Davis will also be out while serving the third game of a five-game suspension for violating the NBA's drug policy.

Without most of their top players, the Clippers lost 107-102 at Dallas on Tuesday night. Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki blocked a shot and made a go-ahead jumper in the final minute to hand Los Angeles its season-high eighth straight defeat.

"I'm really proud of our guys, how hard they played and what they did," Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy said. "A couple of bounces didn't go our way, a couple of calls didn't go our way and the Mavericks pulled one off."

Each of the first three losses during the Clippers' slide came by at least 22 points, but Los Angeles has dropped the last five by two, eight, eight, one and five points.

Though they seem to be getting closer to a victory, they claim that's no consolation.

"We stopped believing (in moral victories) a long time ago," second-year forward Al Thornton said after scoring 25 points against the Mavericks. "We just need to learn how to close games out."

They weren't able to do that in their first meeting with the Spurs this season. Guard Roger Mason made a 3-pointer with 8.4 seconds left to give San Antonio an 86-83 victory in Los Angeles on Nov. 17.

Duncan had 20 points, 15 rebounds and six blocked shots in that game.

SpursReport - San Antonio Spurs News, Rumors and Fan Forums
Old 01-08-09, 05:14 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Spurs 103
Clippers 89
Old 01-08-09, 09:40 AM
Delusional Manu Lover

Spurs 101
Clippers 97

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-08-09, 10:59 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Hope Spurs will not let this lowly western team hang around.
Spurs must drop the Hammer early and give zero hope for the clippers to get in the game.
DEFENSE !!!

Spurs 107
Clippers 101

Go Spurs Go
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-08-09, 11:01 AM
Dr. Dash

Spurs 114
Clippers 113

Double OT

Old 01-08-09, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher View Post

Double OT

OMG

You don't say that!!!!

I hope you are wrong my friend...I don't know if my heart can take another 2OT

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 01-08-09, 11:28 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Spurs win but closer than it should be.
Spurs 95
Clippers 86
Old 01-08-09, 11:41 AM
NBA Ref Wrangler

NBA.com - Referee Assignments
Referee Assignments
Jan 8, 2009
L.A. Clippers @ San Antonio--S. Javie; C. Kirkland; P. Robinson

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
---Winston Churchill (1903)
Old 01-08-09, 11:53 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Spurs 101

Clippers 87
Old 01-08-09, 02:28 PM
Official SR Home Builder

No more Buzzer Beaters
Spurs 100
Clippers 93
Old 01-08-09, 02:56 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Spurs 110
Clippers 90
Old 01-08-09, 03:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Time to let the bench do some whuppin........
Spurs 107
Clippers 100
Old 01-08-09, 05:08 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

We need this one for we have two tough games after this game.

Spurs 97
Clippers 89
11-Time NBA All-Star
3-Time NBA Finals MVP
3-Time NBA Champion
2-Time NBA MVP

And Still Going...
Old 01-08-09, 05:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

spurs by 17
Old 01-08-09, 05:37 PM
Dr. Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscrazed View Post

OMG

You don't say that!!!!

I hope you are wrong my friend...I don't know if my heart can take another 2OT
I'm just messing around.
Old 01-08-09, 06:05 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Spurs - 102,
Clippers - 91.

Go Spurs!
Old 01-08-09, 10:22 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

WE WIN. AS USUAL.

$
Old 01-08-09, 11:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Final Score
Spurs 106
Clippers 84
Old 01-09-09, 12:43 AM

TIGHT DEFENSE wins the game for Spurs Despite 1st half shooting wooos

GAME HIGHLIGHTS:

Clippers vs. Spurs: 1st Half - NBA Videos and Highlights

***Manu had 4 steals and 5 assists and 1 block and 4 rebounds and 13 pts and that is all in a 25:32 minutes.'
I would say he is gaining more power and agressiveness and looks pretty good out there.
Still his comments after the game that it took them so long to get going shows how unsatisfied he is with his game.

Quote:
Manu Ginobili

On the game - “It took us awhile [to get going]. First half wasn’t that good for us. Defensively we just weren’t there. On offense we were moving the ball pretty well, we just weren’t making shots. In the third we had a really good run…started making shots…moving the ball…improving our defense.”

On playing an opponent with a bad record - “Anytime you play a team that, on paper, is less than you and they have three or four injured players, it’s hard because the opponents know that. They play harder because they want to show that can do it without [their injured teammates] and you are not as motivated. It usually becomes a tougher game than expected.”

On his frustration late in the second quarter - “I was frustrated on the game I was having and us not being able to play better. It was a little bit of both. I feel right now that I am not playing my best, so I am a little anxious. I guess at that time I just expressed it a little louder than usual.”
Typical Manu who wants to win more than anything else in life...Gotta love his spirit..The ultimate competitor...
Don't worry Manu it will happen soon..

***And Tim Duncan that Incredible NINE assists shows that he is there to do whatever it takes to get the W. He can block shots and play D and Anchor the defense and the Offense or the rebounding or the assists...Tim does it all..Even if he scored less, he is making the other Spurs around him better. TD is the MAN!!

***Tony Parker was very good in his timing and distributing the ball stat shows 4 assts and 3 rebounds and it semmed more...He had that incredible layup that made the clippers scratch head.. he had 19 pt team highest

***I thought IME and George and Thomas were fantastic off that bench and played great hustle D and showed some toughness. Great Game by those 3.

***MASE was the killer here, He was deadly and made some crazy shots. Props to him he was the DAGGER!!!
Hope he gets to go to the ASG as a Three point Spurs representative....Way to Go Mr. Mason Jr.

Quote:
Roger Mason Jr.

On the game - “We started hitting shots. Early on we were missing wide open shots. The thing we wanted to continue to do was play defense, and I think our defense got better as the game went on.”

On playing an opponent with a bad record - “It doesn’t really come up. We always respect opponents. This is the NBA. We know these guys are capable of beating anybody. You always respect your opponent, no matter who they are. For us it’s about playing Spurs defense, sharing the ball and playing the right way.”
Pop's quotes after the game.

Quote:
Spurs Head Coach Gregg Popovich

On the game - “The defense got better as the game went on and that fueled the offense. We got out and got a lead. The defense was really good. A lot of guys played well, especially in the second half.”

On Kurt Thomas and Ime Udoka - Kurt (Thomas) has gotten better and better as the season has gone along and he’s getting in shape. He’s been good for awhile backing Tim up. Ime hasn’t had as many opportunities, but the time he’s gotten, he’s played well”
Go Spurs Go
Be Ready for the Big Sunday as SUPERMAN and the Magic will be there, so Spurs have some avenge on their minds and will have to give them magic team a taste of our home cooking....

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 01-09-09, 01:03 AM

During the first quarter, Bill schoening on the radio said that he had the honor to meet with Manu's parents and cousins from Argentina as they are all currently visiting Manu here.

No wonder Manu is super Juiced and motivated...Now we know why..

Just like when Tony as the team goes to play in Chicago and he sees his Dad and friends attending there..So he plays his buns off, .It's family effect thing..

Go Spurs Go!!!!