News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 01-03-09, 12:22 AM
SpursReport Team Member

For a game

Would you toy with the idea of doing this as the starting five?

PG - Hill
SG - Manu
SF - Udoka
PF - Bonner
C - Tim Duncan

With Parker being the 6th man coming off the bench doing what Manu did. Not sure if this ever happened but what do you guys think of it?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-03-09, 12:44 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

No way. I'm not saying Tony is selfish or self-centered, but he is cut for a starter's role. The guy needs to start the game, play alot of minutes (while he's at prime age) and set the tone for us. I understand the argument of bringing one of your best players off of the bench, but that is what Manu does best. We've all seen Manu come off the bench and play just as well, if not better, than he does as a starter. Manu loves the end of games more than the start, and more than any other player on the team, and he just has the exact right mindset to be that super star 6th man. Starting Manu also means Mason comes off the bench, which I disagree with. I've been saying Mason needs to be a starter for the sake of rhythm and confidence. He plays better when he starts and establishes himself early, and we need that from him. I see where you're coming from but I just don't think it's the right fit... the second unit doesn't start, the team just isn't geared for that.

I'm okay w/ Timmy and Matt starting, and I'd be okay with them starting Ime if it meant his confidence and shooting percentage went up. Ime has not been a factor lately, so I don't know if starting him is smart or dumb. If it improves him and makes him relevant again, then that's great because we need him, but on the other hand we may just have him out there not contributing much.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-03-09, 12:57 AM
SR's Resident Laker Hater

Whatever Pop wants, he's smarter than me.
Old 01-03-09, 10:57 AM
The Master Baiter

Like it or not, Tony is the number one guy on this team. Some people just do not want to admit it. I marvel at the guy when he plays, but I've been watching basketball for almost 30 yrs. Manu is great also, but he can't do it every game like he used to.
Old 01-03-09, 11:05 AM
The Eternal Optimist

Some people do better starting, even if they start, get a couple tpuches, then sit and effectively play the relief role. Parker strikes me as being one of those, where the likes of Manu, can adjust and just rip it up when the pressure is on. Parker, this year, seems to actually be thriving in the pressure situations too, but somehow his psyche is one where he needs the start. I have wondered of late if maybe Hill might be one of those you get a couple touches, then sit and bring Mason in--if only for a few gams--to re-establish Hill's confidence. It isn't really starting or changing anything, but possibly it could reap dividends in the confidence department.
Old 01-03-09, 11:33 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

For a Game? Sure, why not? I don´t think Parker confidence will break up for being a sub in one game.

I would rather use Bowen instead of Udoka to make this a lockdown formation.
Old 01-03-09, 03:39 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

For the past seven years, Tony has been built to team with Tim, so it makes no sense to me to change that now. Tim's presence on the floor allows Tony to get to the hoop and do what he does best.

I'd love to know what's going on with Udoka. It looked as if he was being groomed for Bruce's spot, but now he seems to be completely out of the rotation.

Mason? Man, he's the streakiest guy we've had in awhile. One night he lights it up. The next, he's shooting 1 for 12. I love what he's brought overall, but there are nights when he's just a waste of floor space.

I gotta believe that the Spurs are looking around the league for a trade by the deadline. My guess is that the Big 3 and Hill are the only untouchables on the current roster. I'd love to get a productive big in here.