LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-07, 09:22 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

The top 30 NBA Spurs: No. 8 - Larry Kenon

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/c...on.c5d0b7.html

The top 30 NBA Spurs: No. 8 - Larry Kenon

Web Posted: 02/25/2007 01:00 AM CST

San Antonio Express-News

Thirty years ago, in 1976, the Spurs played their first season in the NBA after being absorbed into the older league along with three other teams from the American Basketball Association. To commemorate the milestone, the Express-News each Sunday will recognize our selections as the 30 greatest NBA Spurs. Here is No. 8:
Larry Kenon, 1975-80: Another player who helped the Spurs make a smooth transition from the ABA to the NBA, Kenon was the left hook to George Gervin's right cross in the Spurs' 1-2 scoring punch during their first four NBA seasons.

Though he never led the Spurs in scoring — always No.2 behind Gervin — and does not appear in the club's all-time top 10 in games played, he ranks sixth all-time in points scored (6,733). He averaged 21.2 points per game in the four NBA seasons with the Spurs.

He is one of five players in Spurs history to score more than 50 points in a game, with 51 against the Pistons on March 30, 1980, one of the last games he would play for the Spurs.

The 6-fooot-9 forward known as "Special K" also was a workhorse rebounder. He ranks fifth on the Spurs' all-time rebound list (3,217), and led the team in rebounding each of the four NBA seasons he played in San Antonio. He averaged 11.3 rebounds in 1976-77, which ranked 10th in the league.

A two-time NBA All-Star, he was a key performer in the Spurs' run to the Eastern Conference finals in 1979, averaging 21.1 points.

Kenon departed San Antonio after the 1979-80 season, signing as a free agent with the Bulls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit the Spurs page on MySA.com for Nos. 30-8.
Old 02-25-07, 07:17 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Back in the Day ...
Kenon was a sort of poor man's Dr. J - even down to the next-in-line-letter-of-the-alphabet nickname. I remember a slam he put down against the Larry Bird Celtics that had hemisfair arena going crazy. The guy could fly, had deceptive quickness, and could sky for the one-handed rebounded - one of his tradmarks. Gave Spurs fans lots of exciting moments ...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-25-07, 08:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

No way to know his entire list up to date?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-26-07, 09:14 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFlung View Post
Back in the Day ...
Kenon was a sort of poor man's Dr. J - even down to the next-in-line-letter-of-the-alphabet nickname. I remember a slam he put down against the Larry Bird Celtics that had hemisfair arena going crazy. The guy could fly, had deceptive quickness, and could sky for the one-handed rebounded - one of his tradmarks. Gave Spurs fans lots of exciting moments ...
Just like Ice was the forerunner of the long 2, Kenon was one of the first combo 3/4s.

Does anybody remember why his career went downhill after leaving the Spurs for Chicago as a free agent? He was out of the NBA at age 30. Injuries?
Old 02-26-07, 09:58 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur_Fanatic View Post
No way to know his entire list up to date?
30. Stephen Jackson
29. Willie Anderson
28. Dave Corzine
27. Coby Dietrick
26. Chuck Person
25. Mike Gale
24. Gene Banks
23. Mario Elie
22. Vinny Del Negro
21. Steve Kerr
20. Mark Olberding
19. Robert Horry
18. Dennis Rodman
17. Billy Paultz
16. Terry Cummings
15. Malik Rose
14. Bruce Bowen
13. Johnny Moore
12. Artis Gilmore
11. Mike Mitchell
10. Alvin Robertson
9. James Silas
8. Avery Johnson

Larry Kenon should be No. 7
Old 02-26-07, 10:28 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

What about His NBA record in steals which may still stand but if not lasted a long time!
Old 02-26-07, 10:29 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Since this is NBA only and 6 to go
1 Tim
2 Dave
3 Ice
4 Sean
5 and 6 Manu and Avery.
You can quible with the order,
Old 02-26-07, 11:16 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Special K was a good one. A tremendous finisher on the break and a perfect compliment to Ice. His career with the Spurs was "derailed" simply because he was tired, for lack of a better word, playing second fiddle to Gervin. Gervin was the first Spur to make $1,000,000 and Kenon wanted to make that as well. He left via free agnecy and pursued the big pay day with Chicago. A great Spur and should actually be ranked higher because of his all around game. Think a taller Shawn Marion with the ability to hit the pull up jumper or get around you and finish at the rim. Actually Clyde Drexler would be an even better comparison to Kenon's game - especially in the ABA. His short time with the Spurs (4 years) is the only reason IMO that he is not in the rafters (still a travesty) and that he is not ranked above Sean Elliott. His game was far better than Sean's.
Old 02-26-07, 11:36 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog View Post
1 Tim
2 Dave
3 Ice
4 Sean
5 and 6 Manu and Avery.
Avery Johnson is already #8

$
Old 02-26-07, 11:55 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog View Post
1 Tim
2 Dave
3 Ice
4 Sean
5 and 6 Manu and Avery.
Avery is already in, I think it i'll be Tony instead.

But...Tony > Avery ??
Old 02-26-07, 01:07 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapin View Post
Avery is already in, I think it i'll be Tony instead.

But...Tony > Avery ??
sorry I missed that one.
Tony> Avery?
Interesting question. Very different players.
Avery had a long service with the Spurs and contributed to the 99 title especialy from a leadership standpoint.
Tony? two titles, two all star games. I'd probabably flip them- put Tony at 8. But heck, starter for two championship teams?
Old 02-26-07, 02:03 PM
SpursReport Rookie

not to derail Kenon's great accomplishments but the speculation above, is that 1, 2, and 3 go to Tim, David, and Ice. Tim will likely go down as the greatest Spurs player but I wouldn't be surprised to see a 1. David, 2. Ice, and 3. Tim ranking. Ice was the first legit superstar from the Spurs and put people in the seats night in and night out. Plus he's in the Hall. Robinson legitimized the franchise as a No. 1 with no qualms about being in SA at a time when there was talk of the franchise moving (it was "small market" personified). Plus, he's on the list of 50 greatest and Hall-bound. Not to quibble - they are all 3 great in their own right.
Old 02-26-07, 02:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

If Tim did not play one more game for the Spurs and retired, I'd put him at #1.
Old 02-26-07, 03:55 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Weren't the Spurs so damn exciting in the late 1970's? I remember Special K dunking on Otis Birdsong and Ernie Grunfeld. I alsways wished there was a way to get old NBA archival footage (if there is footage).

Dudes and dudettes - Some respect for where the Spurs came from...wtf is up with an Avery/Tony/Merlin conversation in this thread? There are millions of them...this is a Larry Kenon thread.

"Into Sean Elliott. He fires the three. AND HITS IT!"
Old 02-26-07, 04:12 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menudo Terremoto Williams View Post
Weren't the Spurs so damn exciting in the late 1970's? I remember Special K dunking on Otis Birdsong and Ernie Grunfeld. I alsways wished there was a way to get old NBA archival footage (if there is footage).

Dudes and dudettes - Some respect for where the Spurs came from...wtf is up with an Avery/Tony/Merlin conversation in this thread? There are millions of them...this is a Larry Kenon thread.
Good point. Larry was long and fast. Very good post up game.
I asked this earlier- but anybody know what happened to him after leaving the Spurs? His career faded very quickly and was out of the NBA at age 30 or 31. I also remember the SPurs let him sign with CHicago as a free agent after 79/80 without much concern.
Old 02-26-07, 04:12 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menudo Terremoto Williams View Post

Why can't we get "San Antonio" on the roadies anymore?
Old 02-26-07, 05:45 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I think Kenon's mpg went down in Chicago as did his scoring average from 21 to 14 to 7 ppg in succession. He probably just slowed down - I just don't recall there ever being any kind of injury issue.

I'm surprised the article didn't mention that he at one time held the NBA record for most steals in a game - 11. Don't know if that record still stands or not.