Old 02-25-07, 09:21 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Spurs notebook: Players welcome additional rest

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...k.18266c7.html

Spurs notebook: Players welcome additional rest

Web Posted: 02/25/2007 12:31 AM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News

Although his team had not played since its victory in Atlanta on Wednesday, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich opted to skip a morning practice before Saturday's game against the Seattle SuperSonics.
The idea was to allow his team to be a little fresher for 48 minutes.

One 31-point blowout victory later, the Spurs were happy with the result.

"I think Pop is doing a good job of giving us some rest," said point guard Tony Parker, who has battled tendinitis in his right knee.

"We had no practice this morning, so I felt like I had a lot of energy tonight."

Parker and a few of his teammates are wondering if Saturday's result could be the beginning of a trend — no more game-day morning shootarounds.

"That would be nice," Parker said, laughing. "I don't know. Pop is going to make that decision. We'll see."

Popovich said defensive intensity and communication for 48 minutes recently have been keys to the team's five-game winning streak.

Parker believes fresh legs help in maintaining the mental discipline the Spurs' defensive system mandates.

"When we have our legs and everybody is ready to go, we're playing great defense," Parker said. "I think that is why Pop made that decision, to make sure we had enough energy and make sure we've got enough juice for the whole game, for 48 minutes.

"We've had a hard time being consistent and play for a whole game. We've had great quarters. We've had great halves. But we've had a hard time playing the whole game.

"The last five games has been great, playing good basketball, and I think we should build on that and try to get a winning streak. That would be nice."

Is it April?: The playoffs can't be that far off.

Robert Horry is finding his 3-point stroke.

Horry, the 15-year veteran from Alabama with the reputation for making big shots in the playoffs, made 4 of 6 3-pointers Saturday and scored 17 points, one shy of his season high.

Horry came into the game shooting only 32.4 percent from 3-point range.

Does he need a few more games like Saturday's to feel confident when the playoffs arrive?

"Not me," Horry said. "I've been doing it too long. I'm just comfortable playing. The thing about the playoffs is you've got all that extra adrenaline, from the situation and from the crowd."

"We all know Robert's modus operandi," Spurs coach Greg Popovich said, "but I told him afterward we took snapshots of all those shots in a row, because that's not going to happen all the time, I don't think. It doesn't happen with most players, but he got it rolling tonight."

Hill's lament: Before Saturday's game, Sonics coach Bob Hill relived his team's missed opportunity in Friday night's 98-97 loss to the New Orleans Hornets in Oklahoma City.

Trailing by one with 6.6 seconds to play, Hill called a play that he said worked to perfection — but Ray Allen didn't see Rashard Lewis, wide open after slipping a screen.

The Sonics, said Hill, haven't developed the maturity to handle situations like Friday's.

"You hear comments from this team like 'We've only got 6.6 seconds.' You say, 'Hey, guys, that's a lifetime,' but they don't hear you."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]
Old 02-25-07, 10:57 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

It's always someone else's fault when it comes to Bob Hill. I'm sure Ray Allen will be happy to read his coaches comments in the paper. I don't know Hill but when he was the coach here, he always came across as guy who had something stuck up his rear. And when he did crack a smile it always came with a smirk, like it was a joke only he was getting. I just never got off to this guy, I was really happy when Pop took over.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-25-07, 08:56 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

How can they be mature when they have Ray Allen and Bob Hill as part of the team?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!