News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-07, 06:28 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Mark Cuban: Any NBA player to 'come out' would reap huge payday

Report: Cuban also praises Amaechi's decision

...The Dallas Mavericks' owner told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that any NBA player would stand to reap huge financial rewards by simply telling the public that he is a homosexual.

"From a marketing perspective, if you're a player who happens to be gay and you want to be incredibly rich, then you should come out, because it would be the best thing that ever happened to you from a marketing and an endorsement perspective," Cuban told the newspaper. "You would be an absolute hero to more Americans than you can ever possibly be as an athlete, and that'll put money in your pocket."...

link
Old 02-23-07, 06:58 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think it's time for a certain NBA owner to come out as well
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-23-07, 07:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairyhandedgent View Post
I think it's time for a certain NBA owner to come out as well
He's actively seeking companionship with this personals ad.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-23-07, 07:14 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
riiiiiiiight.......

if that were the case, then Scottie Pippen would come out so he could pay off his $5 million airplane debt.......

further proof that Cuban is an idiot
Cuban is an idiot? I'd like to be as idiotic as he is, with a plane a mansion and an NBA team to call my own. Those are not accidents.
He might say dumb things sometimes, but he is no idiot.
And he is right about homosexuals who come out.
Old 02-23-07, 08:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

there was that college lacrosse player, a goalie who came out while still playing on a top team. unfortunately, you can't make money off it by ncaa rules, but for an nba player, i think being a role model for gay athletes would be bigger inspiration than the money. money won't rid homophobic ideas and players, it'll take more than that to persuade someone, imo.
Old 02-23-07, 08:24 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
I can't belive people are calling Cubes a moron when it comes to knowing how to make money.
Did you ever see the benefactor? Money doesn't always equal brains and vice versa.
Old 02-23-07, 10:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later View Post
Actually......I believe Cuban is right.

Gays have money.
Gays spend money.
$Billions are spent advertising to the gay public.

A gay player would get endorsement deals left and right, book deals, speaking engagements.

^^^ True.

Hell.....outside of the WNBA, the only thing David Stern hasn't tapped are the gays.

Wait......that came out wrong.
Agreed!

Stern Tapped. LMAO!

Priceless!

Sith
Old 02-24-07, 12:57 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Then why is my Dave Kopay football card from when I was a kid virtually worthless??
Old 02-24-07, 01:15 AM
SpursReport Team Member

This quote is like two weeks old. He said it right after the book was announced.
Old 02-24-07, 01:30 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I sure wanna be the idiot who takes graduate level business classes as an underclassman in college.
Old 02-24-07, 02:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidaneja12 View Post
I sure wanna be the idiot who takes graduate level business classes as an underclassman in college.
I did and I've been called an idiot a time or two .... sometimes deservedly so ....
Old 02-24-07, 04:32 PM
Spartan Moderator

I wouldn't say Cuban is an idiot. I would, however, say he is a horse's ass.

Old 02-24-07, 05:07 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I was half expecting this to be from the Onion...
Old 02-24-07, 06:27 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later View Post
Actually......I believe Cuban is right.

Gays have money.
Gays spend money.
$Billions are spent advertising to the gay public.

A gay player would get endorsement deals left and right, book deals, speaking engagements.

If that's true, then bench-warming, no-name athletes should be tempted to "come out" for the money, whether they're gay or not.

Once upon a time, giants ruled the earth....
Old 02-24-07, 10:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

i wish mark cuban would "come out"

-Bruce Bowen
Old 02-26-07, 02:41 AM
SpursReport Team Member

So, let me get this straight...someone should rake in the bucks because of his or her sexual orientation? I don't condone, but I don't condemn...to each his/her own. Everything should be deserved based on talent...not because they're gay. Cuban makes me .
Old 02-26-07, 02:50 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
bingo!

Cuban is an idiot for speaking on things he knows nothing about.
I believe Mark Cuban is a master narketing mind, and gay people who do come out will have plenty of attention and they will be marketable. Just look at Ameche's book deal. So he's not talking as a jock, but as a marketing mind. And I think he knows plenty about what he's talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifelongSpursFan View Post
So, let me get this straight...someone should rake in the bucks because of his or her sexual orientation? I don't condone, but I don't condemn...to each his/her own. Everything should be deserved based on talent...not because they're gay. Cuban makes me .
Why does that make you sick? How could that possibly make you sick?
Talent alone does not entitle people to anything. There are plenty of untalented people who are better off than they deserve.
Look at most of the rapping commmunity. Look at Rosie O'Donnell and Paris Hilton. The Jackass troop.
John Ameche is raking the rewards for coming out as a gay man. Why? Because people want to read his book. I would.
Public demand is not always only for the talented people.
Old 02-26-07, 07:44 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnac The Magnificent View Post
I believe Mark Cuban is a master narketing mind, and gay people who do come out will have plenty of attention and they will be marketable. Just look at Ameche's book deal. So he's not talking as a jock, but as a marketing mind. And I think he knows plenty about what he's talking about.

Why does that make you sick? How could that possibly make you sick?
Talent alone does not entitle people to anything. There are plenty of untalented people who are better off than they deserve.
Look at most of the rapping commmunity. Look at Rosie O'Donnell and Paris Hilton. The Jackass troop.
John Ameche is raking the rewards for coming out as a gay man. Why? Because people want to read his book. I would.
Public demand is not always only for the talented people.
My point is capitalizing on sexual orientation as Cuban pointed out. I don't get it. And, I wouldn't want to read his book. I don't care if someone is gay or straight. And to capitalize off of that is ludicrous. It doesn't make me want to buy a book...

And while public demand is not always for the talented people, as you put it, is not where I was going with my comments either. Enjoy your book.
Old 02-26-07, 11:14 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifelongSpursFan View Post
My point is capitalizing on sexual orientation as Cuban pointed out. I don't get it. And, I wouldn't want to read his book. I don't care if someone is gay or straight. And to capitalize off of that is ludicrous. It doesn't make me want to buy a book...
You might not want to read his book, but a lot of people will.
Cuban is not setting the standard for what is marketable, he's just pointing it out.
Old 02-26-07, 05:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Thanks Blake!!!
Old 02-26-07, 06:04 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

John Ameche has been all over the news lately, even before Tim Bug opening his stupid mouth. I saw him on CNN, FOX, and all over the place.
Whether or not we agree with what it is Amache has to say, many people did. Even if his book doesn't do well, the issue of gay people in the NBA is out there.