SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-07, 04:16 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Spurs would want to see Pippen in a private workout before anything else

Signing Pippen Not Ruled Out
Friday, February 23, 2007

Despite several calls to the team about both Beno Udrih and Jackie Butler, the Spurs decided to let the NBA's trading deadline pass by without making a move.

Still, there are reports that the team has not ruled out signing 41-year-old former All-Star Scottie Pippen.

Pippen announced late last week that he wants to come out of retirement and mentioned the Heat, Spurs, Lakers and Mavs among the teams he'd like to play for.

''I know that I have the skills,''Pippen said.

''I think it's sort of been on my mind the past couple of months.

''It's just about me going out and polishing my skills.''

Pippen hasn't played since his retirement on October 5, 2004, after a 17-season career with Chicago, Houston and Portland.

He won six titles in his famed role as Michael Jordan's wingman with the Bulls and was part of two gold medal-winning US Olympic teams.

Pippen, who has been working out in Florida for a few months, said the time was right to add his experience and defensive prowess to a contending club.

Located closest to Florida his home, the Miami Heat have not taken any interest, but the Cavaliers, Nuggets, Lakers and the Spurs have all inquired about him.

Team officials told the Express-News that they will do their "due diligence" with Pippen, and that they likely won't seriously consider signing him without first seeing him work out.

Since they have a full roster, the Spurs would need to waive a player to make room for Pippen.

In San Antonio, fan reaction has been mixed. Some say the Spurs don't need to get any older. Others question his motivation to return from retirement as simple economics.

It has been reported that Pippen must pay a bank more than $5 million in a breach of contract lawsuit involving a loan for a business jet.

According to court documents, Pippen was taking so many charter flights that a pilot convinced him in 2001 that he should buy his own plane.

Pippen and his wife, Larsa, formed a company called Air Pip and borrowed $4.375 million from JODA LLC, an aircraft finance company based in the St. Louis suburb of Chesterfield.

U.S. Bank later bought the note and sued the Pippens and their company in 2004.

Pippen acknowledged signing the promissory note with a personal guarantee, however, it has never been made clear whether he ever got to use the Grumman Gulfstream II, a twin-engine corporate jet.

"The location and condition of the plane is dependent on who you talk to,'' Pippen's attorney Gary Sarachen said.

http://www.broadbandnewsnet.com/news...asp?a=3593&z=1
Old 02-23-07, 08:19 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

You can take the Heat off teams he'd sign with, I assume.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-23-07, 08:42 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Can we send Butler down to the NBDL to make room, assuming Pippen actually has something left? I haven't kept myself updated about these rules.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-23-07, 08:53 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I can't believe they are seriously considering this...
Old 02-23-07, 09:03 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Pop said yesterday on the radio that they had no intention of bringing Scottie in for a workout.
Old 02-23-07, 09:55 AM
SpursReport Rookie

i hope he doesnt sign..i really dont see what he has left..
Old 02-23-07, 10:04 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

pop said yesterday (on the pop show) that the spurs were not interested
Old 02-23-07, 10:10 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwhuxley View Post
Can we send Butler down to the NBDL to make room, assuming Pippen actually has something left? I haven't kept myself updated about these rules.
I don't think they can but also how many times have the Spurs sent White to the NBDL because each player can be assigned no more than three times per season.
Old 02-23-07, 10:12 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente View Post
I don't think thay can but also how many times have the Spurs sent White to the NBDL because each player can be assigned no more than three times per season.

they have called him up twice so far.
Old 02-23-07, 10:17 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwhuxley View Post
Players in the NBDL who have contracts with NBA teams still count against the 15 man roster for that team so sending Butler down there doesn't create a roster spot. Someone has to get cut if the Spurs want to bring him in.
Old 02-23-07, 10:25 AM
SpursReport Team Member

And to think EVERYBODY laughed when I said they should try and get Karl Malone.

Pippen IMHO would be a nice addition to this team. He's long and tall and would give players like Dirk fits for at least short periods of time which would be all we would need.
Old 02-23-07, 10:45 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJoeD View Post
And to think EVERYBODY laughed when I said they should try and get Karl Malone.
When did you say that? If you said it in the offseason of 2003 I agreed with you, as did the Spurs who did try and get him. If you're saying it now in 2007 then include me in "EVERYBODY".

Quote:
Pippen IMHO would be a nice addition to this team. He's long and tall and would give players like Dirk fits for at least short periods of time which would be all we would need.
That's one possibility. The other is that he would be a guy who is in great shape for a 41 year old, but still nowhere near NBA shape and players like Dirk would be blowing by him with ease. And there's also still that unresolved issue of who do you cut to make room for him? Keep in mind that the Spurs already committed to picking up Beno's contract option for next year.
Old 02-23-07, 10:57 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotes_geek View Post
When did you say that? If you said it in the offseason of 2003 I agreed with you, as did the Spurs who did try and get him. If you're saying it now in 2007 then include me in "EVERYBODY".

That's one possibility. The other is that he would be a guy who is in great shape for a 41 year old, but still nowhere near NBA shape and players like Dirk would be blowing by him with ease. And there's also still that unresolved issue of who do you cut to make room for him? Keep in mind that the Spurs already committed to picking up Beno's contract option for next year.
Yes 2007.

I had a post about a month ago that was lost when the server crashed and burned. In that post I ask whether the Spurs should look at getting Karl Malone for the final push. If he's in shape and uninjured then why not? Remember I think he retired mainley because he couldnt stay healthly in the end. Karl was a perennial all-star and could have helped the O/D rebounding of this team and he knows how to score.

I am one that also thinks this team as a whole is too old, but a half year contract to either Pip or Karl wouldnt hurt, especially now since they didnt make any trades for youth by the deadline.

Yes finding room for either of these players would be an issue, but tough decisions need to be made. Do the Spurs have a real shot at a championship in there current state?

Last edited by BigJoeD; 02-23-07 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-23-07, 11:16 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

AirPip?
Old 02-23-07, 11:22 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I don't understand...Pippen made TONS of money, and was probably a max-contract guy in his last few seasons. How is he not able to payoff a $5 million debt?
Old 02-23-07, 11:25 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Well, it would be good press for the spurs. Good or Bad. J Vaughn plays like hes 45 anyway. Plus, after watching Bernard Hopkins move up two weight classes and beat the light heavyweight champion of the World recently at 41, anything is possible. Can't count out his knowledge. He's also 6'8-6'9. While his legs are old I'm willing to bet he can contribute a quarter of basketball each game just as goood or better than your average NBA foward. I think we would have nothing to lose to at least take a look at him in a private workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAScrub View Post
I don't understand...Pippen made TONS of money, and was probably a max-contract guy in his last few seasons. How is he not able to payoff a $5 million debt?
I know! I'm willing to bet if he saved just half his money he's made in the 17 years he played. He probably earns that in royalties alone.
Old 02-23-07, 11:37 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Here is the much more interesting article by Sam Smith,

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17270402/

Pippen’s comeback driven by Jordan
A sure Hall of Famer, but ex-Bull seems to think he needs 7th title

Perhaps there just should be some gentle, love song background music for the NBA. Call it NBAHarmony, like the dating service. Because the tale of Scottie Pippen, the former Chicago Bulls all-NBA player headed to the Basketball Hall of Fame, though with perhaps a new delay, sounds like one of those romance fictions.

Someone is always looking for what they remembered and believe what they want it to be rather than the reality.

It reminds me of the old Billy Crystal movie City Slickers.

The tough, crusty old cowboy character played by Jack Palance talks about this woman he loved but never met. The Crystal character wonders why and he says it would ruin the fantasy.

Pippen watches the NBA after three years away, no longer sore and tired, and sees himself as he once was. And perhaps so do the Cavaliers, the Nuggets, the Lakers and the Spurs, all of whom have inquired about Pippen. He's cheap, he's available. And maybe, just maybe …

Like those dating services: Fill out your requirements and there's someone who always believes they fit them.

Pippen was one of the most unique players in NBA history, much unappreciated, which is another reason he's on this quixotic quest. Pippen was a remarkable defender, so good that he was as much the reason as any that the Bulls won the 1991 championship the way he thwarted Magic Johnson. Never has a player Johnson's height been able to react so quickly to him and keep Johnson from seeing over the defense.

Pippen didn't make the big shots often, which is why he is as well known for that refusal to finish a game in the 1994 playoffs when he was having his best individual season — All-Star game MVP, career high scoring and rebounding averages while Michael Jordan retired for the first time — when the last play wasn't called for him. But he made plenty of shots, he defended, he ran the offense, handled the ball and, as he likes to say, has six championships and Jordan doesn't have any in the NBA without him.

Pippen is driven, like many former athletes, by an inability to let go of the game that defined him and gave him so much. It's hardly unusual, and better players, like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, played until an older age than Pippen, now 41. It is common among professional boxers, even the best as Muhammad Ali's condition certainly was exacerbated by continually returning to the boxing ring. Pippen gave a try to TV and it didn't work out. He talks about coaching, staying close to the game, which is no shame as basketball is heavily populated by former players who were among the best.

Likewise, teams are always hoping for a boost from somewhere, a midseason deal like when Rasheed Wallace was that risky missing piece for the Pistons a few years back, when Dennis Rodman was toxic around the NBA but gold for the Bulls in 1995. Someone like Tim Thomas was for the Suns last season, maybe Eddie Jones for the Heat this season.

There's little risk, a low-money, short-term deal to the end of the season, and what if he has something?

I wouldn't be surprised if Pippen did. He was never the same player after his last back surgery in 1997, but still could run a half-court offense and understand the game as well as any. Players coming off the end of the bench these days can do a lot less. It seems a longshot after all this time off, but who knows?

And then there's the inner torment for Scottie.

It came out during All-Star weekend when Pippen was asked — what, again! — about how he felt being the supporting cast to Michael Jordan, about the lack of credit, the idea Jordan could have taken anyone to all those championships.

It's why Pippen likes to say Jordan never won without him, and why that 2000 Western Conference finals loss to the Lakers with a 15-point fourth quarter lead was so painful. That was No. 7, the separator.

Even when Jordan spoke at the retirement ceremony for Pippen's Bulls jersey a few years back in Chicago, the tone was of a helper, a little brother. Pippen smiled grimly through clenched teeth. Their relationship was always ambivalent, Pippen drawn to Jordan's greatness and aura and then driven away by his superiority.

They were a perfect tandem, though.

Pippen was the better defender, the facilitator to offset Jordan's dominance and scoring.

But Pippen also had the issues: the walkout in 1994, a gun charge arrest that was dropped, feuds with management, near trades and equal demands. There was always something. It was Pippen's inner strength that steeled him. Lesser players wouldn't have been able to survive the media scrutiny and criticism.

Pippen is a unique, true Hall of Famer, six championship teams, voted one of the 50 greatest, two Olympic teams, multiple all-defense and all-pro teams.

But there's still that seventh ring out there somewhere and Pippen believes he could be more than a spare part.

So it led to some curious comments during All-Star weekend when Pippen again was asked about being Jordan's footman.

"I think people love me just as much as they love Michael," Pippen said. "The fans who understand the game, the GMs and coaches. I think they'd rather have a Scottie than a Michael. Because I'm an all-around player. Coaches would rather have a Scottie-type player than a Michael. I was an all-around player. I made people around me better."

They were stunning, mouth agape comments, though Pippen's point really was more generic. He doesn't always express himself perfectly, which is why he isn't on ESPN anymore even if he had interesting and strong opinions. He was trying to enhance his skills and note their importance, which is often overlooked.

Pippen is a proud man, proud of what he accomplished and who he was.

Now he wants one more chance to show it. He doesn’t believe he'll fall on his face. Though everyone will be watching to see if he does and say it's just the same old Scottie.

Perhaps it's best to walk away. But Scottie Pippen never did what everyone expected or wanted. He was a walk-on at Central Arkansas, the team manager handing out towels as a freshman. How do you go from there to the Hall of Fame? Perhaps no one ever has come farther. Maybe he can surprise us all again.
Old 02-23-07, 11:39 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJoeD View Post
Yes 2007.

I had a post about a month ago that was lost when the server crashed and burned. In that post I ask whether the Spurs should look at getting Karl Malone for the final push. If he's in shape and uninjured then why not? Remember I think he retired mainley because he couldnt stay healthly in the end. Karl was a perennial all-star and could have helped the O/D rebounding of this team and he knows how to score.

I am one that also thinks this team as a whole is too old, but a half year contract to either Pip or Karl wouldnt hurt, especially now since they didnt make any trades for youth by the deadline.

Yes finding room for either of these players would be an issue, but tough decisions need to be made. Do the Spurs have a real shot at a championship in there current state?
Fans always get suckered into believing that guys who once were great can still produce at similar levels as they get older if you just scale their minutes back. That's just not true. Doesn't matter how great Pippen and Malone were in their prime, in 2007 they can't carry the jocks of Michael Finley and Francisco Elson.

If you want an indication of what Pippen could give us, look at the guy who at 38 only played in a quarter of his team's games and gave 6 ppg on 38% shooting. Now make him 3 years older. Malone's numbers at 40 were good, but tack on 3 years to him, and take into account that he's given no indication of wanting to come back and what would he be able to give us?
Old 02-23-07, 12:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Fans always get suckered into believing that guys who once were great can still produce at similar levels as they get older if you just scale their minutes back. That's just not true. Doesn't matter how great Pippen and Malone were in their prime, in 2007 they can't carry the jocks of Michael Finley and Francisco Elson.

If you want an indication of what Pippen could give us, look at the guy who at 38 only played in a quarter of his team's games and gave 6 ppg on 38% shooting. Now make him 3 years older. Malone's numbers at 40 were good, but tack on 3 years to him, and take into account that he's given no indication of wanting to come back and what would he be able to give us?
I dont think I'm getting suckered in. I like to see what he can do in a workout and then make a decision just like the Spurs will do. If he's impressive then there is no reason to not give him a shot.
Old 02-23-07, 12:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
"The fans who understand the game, the GMs and coaches. I think they'd rather have a Scottie than a Michael. Because I'm an all-around player. Coaches would rather have a Scottie-type player than a Michael. I was an all-around player. I made people around me better."

Hey Scottie, I bet you were better than Bird, Russell, and Chamberlain too?

Lord knows I'd want to build a team around you before any of those four.....
Is our defense that good? I think so. And the scary part is that the whole team seems to take a sadistic pride in shutting people down. What is Pop feeding them? They looked brainwashed out there, a single minded machine that just eats up their opponents. -----pjrfan
Old 02-23-07, 01:10 PM
Banned

I don't really like Pippen, but I think he might be able to cover Dirk. If the Spurs did give him a workout and he demonstrated the skills necessary to contribute than I say give him a shot since the risk would be low and the reward very high.

If he doesn't preform well in a workout then don't sign him and nothing is lost.
Old 02-23-07, 01:44 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Empty View Post
Plus, after watching Bernard Hopkins move up two weight classes and beat the light heavyweight champion of the World recently at 41, anything is possible.
Plus did you see what Tommy "The Gun" Morrison just did?

Quote:
Fans always get suckered into believing that guys who once were great can still produce at similar levels as they get older if you just scale their minutes back.
To the credit of most Spurs fans, at least those around here, not many of them have bought into the notion that bringing Pippen would be a good thing... But... There has been a sense of desperation around here. And you know what they say.: "Desperate times call for desperate measures."

The fact that several teams at least want to talk to Scottie tells you something. We didn't see that with Chris Webber, Shawn Kemp or even Doug Christie. Those front office guys must know something. Or maybe not? It's too early to tell how this will pan out.

The bad cloud above all this is that airplane court case and debt. That makes Pippen's motivations look quite suspicious.
Old 02-23-07, 01:52 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff View Post
John Castle isn't exactly the Dirk Nowitzki of the boxing world.

Quote:
To the credit of most Spurs fans, at least those around here, not many of them have bought into the notion that bringing Pippen would be a good thing... But... There has been a sense of desperation around here. And you know what they say.: "Desperate times call for desperate measures."

The fact that several teams at least want to talk to Scottie tells you something. We didn't see that with Chris Webber, Shawn Kemp or even Doug Christie. Those front office guys must know something. Or maybe not? It's too early to tell how this will pan out.

The bad cloud above all this is that airplane court case and debt. That makes Pippen's motivations look quite suspicious.
Fair points.
Old 02-23-07, 02:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyspur View Post
Would Pippen help sell out the AT & T center?
Maybe for a game or two, mainly those people who are fascinated when cadavers are signed to play basketball.
Old 02-23-07, 02:55 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I'm trying and failing to imagine what Pippen would bring to the table that Finley doesn't already bring. Bringing in Pippen would be a pointless move IMHO
Old 02-23-07, 04:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Freaking sign him. I cannot see any down side to signing Pippen. He's a huge upgrade over Beno as a back-up point, and he might actully help on D against people like Dirk, Stackhouse, or McGrady, Diaw.

He can only help us. Sign him, Pop.
Old 02-23-07, 04:39 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
I'm trying and failing to imagine what Pippen would bring to the table that Finley doesn't already bring. Bringing in Pippen would be a pointless move IMHO
I agree while I think Pippen could contribute ala Horry, I just don't see what player would get benched and what player would be released. Unless they cut Finley.
Old 02-23-07, 05:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

Agreed on both points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs21209 View Post
I agree while I think Pippen could contribute ala Horry, I just don't see what player would get benched and what player would be released. Unless they cut Finley.
There are a few underperformers on the bench that I can think of ala Beno (we'd have to eat his contract though).
Old 02-23-07, 05:28 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

PASS
Old 02-23-07, 06:44 PM
SpursReport Rookie

why not give pippen a shot?? a couple of years back glen robinson came in and that seemed to work out somewhat!! i say take a chance on pippen!!
Old 02-23-07, 09:42 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Maybe we can use modern technology and clone Pippen into what he was in his prime, the greatest perimeter defender the league has seen EVER.
Ok, Dennis Johnson is up there as well.
Old 02-23-07, 10:16 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Don't even think about it!

The Spurs are already one of the oldest teams in the league. Why compound that by adding a 41-year-old has-been?

"Pippen hasn't played since his retirement on October 5, 2004, after a 17-season career with Chicago, Houston and Portland."