News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-07, 03:27 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Dennis Johnson collapsed and died at age 52

Former Boston Celtics guard Dennis Johnson, coach of the Celtics' team in the NBA Development League, collapsed during practice Thursday and died, ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher is reporting.

Johnson was 52.

Johnson was the MVP of the 1979 NBA Finals, averaging 22.6 points as his Seattle SuperSonics beat the Washington Bullets.

After a brief stint with the Phoenix Suns, Johnson rejoined the Boston Celtics, where he teamed with Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Danny Ainge and Robert Parish for a glorious run in the 1980s that saw Boston win the 1984 and 1986 NBA championships.

Known throughout the league as "DJ," Johnson played in five NBA All-Star games and was named to the All-Defensive First Team six times.

In 14 NBA seasons, he scored 15,535 points (a 14.1 points-per-game average) and averaged 17.3 points in 180 playoff games.

www.espn.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-22-07, 03:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

That is awful ---- My thoughts any prayers go out to his loved ones ...and thanks for everything DJ
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-22-07, 03:35 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

3 different titles for this. Yall must read espn as much as i do.
Old 02-22-07, 03:36 PM
SpursReport Team Member

RIP. Thought and prayers for his family and friends.
Old 02-22-07, 03:40 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

espn scroll says he was coach of the austin toros team. the whole thing must be a shock to the player that witnessed this!
Old 02-22-07, 04:33 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Hell of a player that should be in the Hall of Fame. RIP
Old 02-22-07, 04:36 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Suddenly the NBA trade deadline and the games today are not that important.

For those that follow the game and remember the league's golden era of the 1980's, this is a sad day for us and shocking.

RIP DJ....
Old 02-22-07, 05:37 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

RIP
Old 02-22-07, 06:10 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I was able to take my kids to meet him just a few months ago. He was extremely gracious and had a great way with kids. He was a great player and understood that sports was just a small part of life. I loved the way he played defense.

Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. He will be missed. DJ!!!
Old 02-22-07, 06:19 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I was hoping to make it to a Toros game this year mainly to meet DJ. He was one of my favorite players back in the day of Celtics/Lakers finals battles.

God bless you DJ, RIP
Old 02-22-07, 06:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

he was a great competitor and guard. i do seem to recall seeing him considerably overweight as of late. RIP to a great member of NBA history.
Old 02-22-07, 08:44 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

I am very saddened, I really enjoyed DJ's game. I loved that Sonic's backcourt of Gus Williamns, Dennis, and off the bench, "Downtown" Freddie Brown, damn what a backcourt. When he joined the Celts I just became a bigger fan of his. This is shocking news.
Old 02-22-07, 11:28 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

GOD at 52? He was in good shape too I imagine. That sucks for him and his fam, RIP Dennis you were the man.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 02-23-07, 03:52 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

RIP Dennis Johnson. Sorry to his family
Old 02-23-07, 04:52 AM
SpursReport Team Member

R.I.P.
Old 02-23-07, 07:57 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I absolutely adored his game!!! I loved watching him play...especially during the epic Laker vs. Celtics battles. I am so angry that he didn't make the Hall of Fame before he died so he could enjoy some of the benefits. That is a shame!!! May God bless him and his family...rest in peace, oh great defensive genius.
Old 02-23-07, 12:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

wow...and damn...
RIP
Old 02-23-07, 03:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7 View Post
GOD at 52? He was in good shape too I imagine. That sucks for him and his fam, RIP Dennis you were the man.
Not hardly. He was considerably overweight when I saw him at a Toros game this year. Still he was a professional athlete so overweight or not you would not think he would die due to a heart attack. This is a wake up call to alot of people I am sure. Those both affiliated and not affiliated with the NBA. RIP DJ, you were a tremendous competitor and according to Larry Bird, "the best teammate and person I ever knew."
Old 02-23-07, 10:26 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Initial autopsy results are in; sounds like a natural death.