News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-07, 07:04 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Udrih draws interest, but likely won't be dealt (also Royal Ivey to Spurs???)

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...h.1817803.html

ATLANTA — The Spurs certainly haven't been acting like a team wanting to sit out this afternoon's trade deadline.
With several teams looking for help at point guard, one Western Conference official said Beno Udrih's name was in heavy circulation Wednesday night.

While the Spurs aren't looking to dump Udrih — coach Gregg Popovich called him a "great insurance policy" — they would trade him in the right deal.

The team has looked at contingency plans to obtain another point guard should Udrih be moved. Atlanta, which is trying to obtain a veteran point guard in a separate deal, spoke to the Spurs about swapping Royal Ivey for a second-round pick.

One official said there is a scenario where the Spurs would have interest in acquiring the former Texas Longhorn, but called such a trade "unlikely."

The Spurs also continue to explore trade opportunities for Jackie Butler.

Philadelphia executive Larry Brown, who coached Butler in New York last season and recommended him to the Spurs, has again shown interest in the young center. The 76ers seemed willing to do a trade if they also could get a draft pick, but the Spurs didn't like the contract Philadelphia was offering (possibly Kevin Ollie's) in return.

Spurs officials continue to say if they do make a move today it likely would be a minor one similar to last week's trade for Melvin Ely.

Udrih said his agent told him teams have shown interest in him, but he doesn't have a good feel for whether he'll be traded.

"I'm just trying not to worry about it," Udrih said. "It's not in my hands. It's in the (the Spurs') hands."

Udrih hasn't played much in the past two weeks since Popovich elevated Jacque Vaughn to the backup role.

"I just think Jacque is doing a really good job of showing leadership out on the court," Popovich said before Tuesday's game against Denver. "Our team has reacted well to him. He's a really tough competitor.

"I think at this particular time this team needs that coming off the bench. He's provided that for us."

But Popovich also likes having Udrih available if needed.

"He's a great insurance policy," Popovich said. "He's a skilled guy. He can shoot the basketball, he can pass the basketball."
Old 02-22-07, 07:47 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I loved Royal (with Cheese) in college, but I don't want him on the Spurs.

"Into Sean Elliott. He fires the three. AND HITS IT!"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-22-07, 09:03 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I also loved Royal back in college as im a fellow longhorn. However, I have to admit I havent seen much of royal since he got into the league. has anyone out there seen him? has he shown any promise? i know they played the spurs last night, but i was so mesmorized by manu that i dont remember what any of the players did..haha
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-22-07, 09:10 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Stay tuned.
Old 02-22-07, 09:11 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Would I be far off in saying Royal is a poor man's Jacques Vaughn?
Old 02-22-07, 09:19 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Would I be far off in saying Royal is a poor man's Jacques Vaughn?
Ivey's bigger, 6-4 compared to Vaughn's 6-1, but beyond that I'd say that's a decent comparison.

I seem to remember Ivey getting some PG starts for Atlanta last year. No idea how he played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente View Post
Stay tuned.
Beno for Ivey? Two PG's who could probably use a change of scenery.
Old 02-22-07, 09:28 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

lateral moves. not too sexy.
Old 02-22-07, 10:32 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
While the Spurs aren't looking to dump Udrih — coach Gregg Popovich called him a "great insurance policy" — they would trade him in the right deal.
This may be the only time we Pop using great and Udrih in the same sentence ... sounds like he's talking up the merchandise....
Old 02-22-07, 11:28 AM
SpursReport Rookie

well the hawks just traded for a vet. PG so i doubt beno will go there now

Hawks Acquire Anthony Johnson
22nd February, 2007 - 12:11 pm
Press Release -
The Atlanta Hawks today acquired guard Anthony Johnson from the Dallas Mavericks in exchange for the Hawks’ 2007 second-round draft pick, according to Hawks Executive Vice PresidentGeneral Manager Billy Knight.

“We’re happy to be able to bring Anthony Johnson back to Atlanta,” Knight said. “He provides us with another veteran presence, and brings a great deal of regular season and postseason experience to our club.”

Entering his third stint with the Hawks, Johnson has played in 40 games this season with the Mavericks, averaging 3.8 ppg, 2.0 apg and 1.2 rpg in 14.1 mpg (.411 FG%, .724 FT%).
Old 02-22-07, 11:30 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg78666 View Post
well the hawks just traded for a vet. PG so i doubt beno will go there now

not sure if the Hawks were interested in beno as a vet PG. The article mentions they spoke to the Spurs in a separate deal in taking Ivey from them for a pick.
Old 02-22-07, 11:31 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Maybe SPURS get back speedy
Old 02-22-07, 11:38 AM
Banned

^^^ I don't think thats a great idea either.

What has Speedy done over the past few years. Nothing. He had one good season with SA leave it at that.
Old 02-22-07, 11:41 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlspurshk View Post
Maybe SPURS get back speedy
if this was 2003, the spurs would be all over it. It's 2007 and Speedy has done nothing since then.
Old 02-22-07, 11:42 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Yes, but Pop loves vet and Speedy needs little time to learn the system. No other PG in the league can provide such quick fix. He fits small ball and has playoff exp. If FO wants quick fix on backup PG, this is the best choice (I was thinking from Pop's mind, not from an expert mind).

Of course, it assumes that they want to take the risk of the long contract and Speedy's health
Old 02-22-07, 11:44 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Speedy's contract is WAY too big for the Spurs liking.
Old 02-22-07, 11:46 AM
Banned

All things considered about Speedy, he is better off being in Atlanta than in SA right now. His health and contract are not exactly attractive to SA at this point in time.
Old 02-22-07, 11:47 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Speedy's contract is WAY too big for the Spurs liking.
Speedy is down for 3 more years at 5 million.
Ivey?
I would hate to waste a draft pick on him- even a second rounder. Contract expires, doubt he could help much in a short window.
Old 02-22-07, 11:48 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Butler to Philly is great if they have no plans for him, but I doubt Philly would or could give up anything substantial.
Old 02-22-07, 11:53 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleo View Post
Butler to Philly is great if they have no plans for him, but I doubt Philly would or could give up anything substantial.

true plus the fact that the 76ers want the Spurs to throw in a pick as well.
Old 02-22-07, 12:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
true plus the fact that the 76ers want the Spurs to throw in a pick as well.
I would be averse in trading any of next years picks. The draft is alledgedly deep. I know the prospects of finding a good player in the second round is low, but at least there is a chance (with little financial risk), whereas the players I have seen discussed or marginal one (
Old 02-22-07, 12:06 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Realistic assessment:
Beno > Royal

And I love Royal (with Cheese)!

Royal reminds me of former Spur, Reggie Geary, when I've watched him play in the NBA.

Both are/were long armed defensive PGs with shaky handles, and streaky shots (streaky in a 12th man kind of way though).

"Into Sean Elliott. He fires the three. AND HITS IT!"
Old 02-22-07, 12:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Though Royal would be a better backup than Vaughn. I hate to dog on him but he still makes some unnecessary turnovers and tends to get beat off the dribble pretty regularly.