News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 02-15-07, 09:11 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Mohammed sits vs. Spurs, mum on PT

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...702150390/1051

Pistons center Nazr Mohammed, a veteran of five NBA teams, is no stranger to facing his former teams.

But even he wasn't sure what it would be like Wednesday to face the team he won a title with in 2005 -- a Spurs team stocked with guys he still considers friends.

And that's not the only catch this time.

"It's very different," said Mohammed, who did not leave the bench in the Pistons' 90-81 loss.

"It's different than it has been in the past."

This time, Mohammed knew he had little chance to get on the floor with his former buddies. And he knew that he could have stayed with them all along. He said he doesn't second-guess his decision, but it must be hard not to.

The Spurs offered Mohammed a four-year contract extension last summer, but Mohammed turned it down. His role in coach Gregg Popovich's system gradually had reduced last season; his 30 starts came early, and in the Spurs' second-round playoff series against Dallas, Mohammed hardly played.

"Yeah, (my role) changed," Mohammed said. "But we were trying to win a championship. That was Coach Popovich's decision at the time. I have no problem with it now. I'm in another situation now; I can't think about that now."

So Mohammed, a free agent, elected to come to Detroit armed with a four-year deal at the mid-level exception, expecting to fill in at Ben Wallace's spot as a starting center.

That lasted 32 games, until it became clear the Pistons were going to acquire Chris Webber. Since Webber's arrival, Mohammed has played 27 minutes.

Mohammed also has dealt with trade rumors since Webber's arrival. The Pistons have made it clear they want to move one of their six big men before the Feb. 22 deadline. Mohammed has said little on that matter to the media, saying only that the team is winning and he wants things to stay that way.

"All I'm going to talk about is what's at hand," Mohammed said. "The game, who we're playing; I'm not going to talk about anything else."

Mohammed has done extra work to try to stay in shape. He stays after games, as well as many practices, to do cardio work. Coach Flip Saunders has praised him for that effort.

But there are only so many minutes to go around, and unless the Pistons get into a blowout -- or have a big man ejected -- Mohammed doesn't play.

Despite the similarities, he said the situations in Detroit this season and San Antonio last season don't have much in common. In San Antonio, Mohammed still found minutes in 80 of the 82 regular-season games.

"No way, no way," he said. "It is in no way similar."
Old 02-15-07, 09:17 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Oh the irony.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-15-07, 09:29 AM
SpursReport Team Member

It must suck to suck.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-15-07, 10:31 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Spurs: nazr..here's a 4 year contract extension

Nazr: now way!..i'm going to be an all-star in detroit..see you later SUCKERS!!!
Old 02-15-07, 10:48 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Crow is best served DEAD like Nazr career!!!
Old 02-15-07, 11:03 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Nazr is one of those guys who looks good from far but is far from good.
I think he would be a good platoon center if he would maiintain the high energy level he displays at time.
Someone corect me, but didn't Detroit offer more oeny or years than SA alledgedly did?
Old 02-15-07, 11:28 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog View Post
Nazr is one of those guys who looks good from far but is far from good.
I think he would be a good platoon center if he would maiintain the high energy level he displays at time.
Someone corect me, but didn't Detroit offer more oeny or years than SA alledgedly did?
When Nazr was a free agent I don't think the Spurs ever officially offered him anything. It was pretty mutual that they wanted to part ways.
Old 02-15-07, 11:30 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotes_geek View Post
When Nazr was a free agent I don't think the Spurs ever officially offered him anything. It was pretty mutual that they wanted to part ways.
That is correct.

It was all smoke and mirrors.