News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 02-15-07, 09:53 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Vince Carter headed to free agency

Kurt Schoeppler, the agent for Vince Carter, declined to comment when asked by the Daily News yesterday if any talks had been initiated between his client and the Nets regarding Carter's contractual situation. Carter can opt out of the final year of his deal after the season and all signs point toward him doing so.

Nets GM Ed Stefanski said the team is respecting Carter's wish to not discuss his status with him until the season is over. In an interview on ESPN.com yesterday, president Rod Thorn suggested the team expects Carter to become a free agent.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...p-419581c.html

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/inde...770.xml&coll=1

Though he expressed doubts that his team will make any trades before Thursday's deadline, Rod Thorn addressed Carter's future in an interview yesterday with ESPN.com, and for those alert to nuance, it would appear that the Nets president isn't certain he wants to prolong this union himself.

"His situation right now is sort of fluid. I think from his perspective as well as ours," Thorn said. "And he said to me before the season started he was never a free agent and he'd like to be a free agent -- that he liked it here, and chances are he'd end up staying here if the two sides can agree -- but that he wanted to be a free agent.

"If you look at the free-agent market, there are probably four teams that will be below the salary cap with the kind of money it would take to sign a player like Carter. Two of them already have outstanding two-guards -- Milwaukee and Atlanta. So the realistic look at it is, there's not many teams out there. But you and I know it only takes one. But I think this is something that will be resolved rather quickly, and we'll see what happens."

Thorn, who is in Toronto with the team, could not be reached for elucidation. But his statement will likely lead to speculation that the team will pursue a sign-and-trade deal this summer.
Old 02-15-07, 12:03 PM
MomBear

Maybe the Celtics can sign him....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-15-07, 01:26 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I'm really suprised the Nets haven't moved him yet.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!