News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

View Poll Results: Are you happy about the Ely trade?
Yes 100 53.48%
No 16 8.56%
We'll see 71 37.97%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-07, 06:25 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Are you happy about the Ely trade?

Poll will close in 48 hours
Old 02-13-07, 06:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I like it but I hope we do more
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-13-07, 06:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Why not? Sure, he alone is not the answer to our problems. But, he's actually a below 35 big guy with fresh legs who can help, and he cost us practically nothing. I don't see much of a negative side on this one.
fleetwood macbull (from a Bulls' board), on Andrés "Chapu" Nocioni: "Noc is like that guy from Monty Python. They can cut off his arms, his hands, his feet, then his legs, but he still comes rolling his torso at you like he's going to destroy you"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-13-07, 06:57 PM
SpursReport Team Member

If he can contribute its better than before. So yes, i like it
Old 02-13-07, 07:00 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Yes, Oberto and Elson are so bad that I'm happy with anything

If we get M.Bryant and T-Mass back I'd be happy
Old 02-13-07, 07:09 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs Brazil View Post
Yes, Oberto and Elson are so bad that I'm happy with anything

If we get M.Bryant and T-Mass back I'd be happy
Tmass or bryant????? why not just sign david wood.... someone please stop the madness
Old 02-13-07, 07:12 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I'm not joking.

Bryant and T-Mass played hard, very hard and could get a reb

Oberto is the worst big man since F.Spencer

Elson is a good bench player

I hope Ely starts and Butler has a chance

Oberto and Elson didn't do very well, especially Oberto
Old 02-13-07, 07:31 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
I'm not joking.

Bryant and T-Mass played hard, very hard and could get a reb

Oberto is the worst big man since F.Spencer

Elson is a good bench player

I hope Ely starts and Butler has a chance

Oberto and Elson didn't do very well, especially Oberto
u were nt joking... but t mass and bryant would make the spurs older i thought the spurs needed to get younger
Old 02-13-07, 07:32 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I wouldn't say happy, but pleased I am. It maybe even wakes up the rest of the guys...
Old 02-13-07, 07:34 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I prefer the old guys who play hard rather than the soft youngs
Old 02-13-07, 07:42 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
I prefer the old guys who play hard rather than the soft youngs
you gotta blame pop for this one some of the pieces of the puzzle just did nt work out it happens. so lets just hope cia pop redeems himself. The team is not soft they are just getting out played. tim, tony and manu can only do so much.
Old 02-13-07, 07:58 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madgame View Post
you gotta blame pop for this one some of the pieces of the puzzle just did nt work out it happens. so lets just hope cia pop redeems himself. The team is not soft they are just getting out played. tim, tony and manu can only do so much.
You can blame Pop for a lot of sh[*
Old 02-13-07, 08:05 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

beats me. I voted Yes. We got nothing to lose with this transaction. We got another big body who could step in and provide what the others cannot. Best case scenario, we get what Ely did for the Bobcats last year with 22 mins a game, it was 12 and 9 and 2?

At worst, another worthless body on the bench. E Will wasn't doing anything for the spurs anyways
Old 02-13-07, 08:39 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Getting potentially something for definitely nothing can't be anything but a good trade.
Old 02-13-07, 09:24 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

maybe his 2.9 points will make the Spurs 2.9 points better. I have to take a wait and see attitude on this one.
Old 02-13-07, 09:39 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo View Post
beats me. I voted Yes. We got nothing to lose with this transaction. We got another big body who could step in and provide what the others cannot. Best case scenario, we get what Ely did for the Bobcats last year with 22 mins a game, it was 12 and 9 and 2?

At worst, another worthless body on the bench. E Will wasn't doing anything for the spurs anyways
Those are old D Rob Numbers of 02-03, hell anyone getting over 10 a game and 8 boards a game for this team would be a damn miracle We are used to the 7 and 6 or Rasho that one year and 5 and 5 of Mohammed etc. that our bar has been lowered this damn low . Sucks doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyspurslover View Post
once again, my spurs fandom and non-nba fandom leads me to say......

who?

i HATE giving up draft picks though. especially with TD's retirement looming somewhere in the near future.
Near future? Maybe 5 or so down the road, I see him playing at a high level for a few more years though atleast, then a few more after that like D Rob did in the later years of his career. I don't see the near future though, he is what 30? He has 5 or so left in him.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 02-13-07, 09:49 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I voted no.

Simply because I thought the Spurs could package his expiring contract with another player (like Beno) to get a better player. Sure it cost them nothing, but I'm just disappointed because this deal now makes a bigger/better deal very UNLIKELY to happen now.
Old 02-13-07, 10:10 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

In Oberto's defense, I feel like the refs have taken his game completely away. There's a lot of banging allowed in the games but when Oberto's on the floor he can't even lean on anyone. I think that this has made him hesitant and caused him to play with one hand behind his back, practically. Obviously though at this point, someone has to start kicking some ass and taking people to task this move of getting Ely may inspire both guys to play harder, or maybe Ely himself will provide a spark once he gets in some games.
Old 02-13-07, 10:22 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

For entertainment purposes, the following is a post that got deleted made by some genius that shall remain anonymous, who got all riled up when people dared to suggest financial concerns were playing a big part in the Spurs' struggles to get something in return for Williams' expiring contract:
Quote:
Gotta love the armchair GM's. not only do they seem to know what other teams would or should take from the Spurs, they seem to also think they know why something hasnt been done. There was a report posted around here the other day that the Clippers were not even biting on Barry AND Beno. Yet Spur Fan claims it has to be the spurs just not wanting to make a deal and wanting to be cheap on the finances.

Now a team surely should would want to hand SA a player that could contribute for Eric Williams deal because armchair GM says they should. yet no one really hasnt any knowledge on what teams on the other end would seriously say to that offer. Its all a guess.

How people could claim to actually know any of this stuff is flat hilarious

Ouch. I hope it didn't hurt too bad falling off that high horse...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunc n Dave View Post
I voted no.

Simply because I thought the Spurs could package his expiring contract with another player (like Beno) to get a better player. Sure it cost them nothing, but I'm just disappointed because this deal now makes a bigger/better deal very UNLIKELY to happen now.
A while ago I would have agreed, however I had already accepted -not without resignation- that it would be difficult for any significant deal to fall within the FO's financial plans, meaning they'd have to take back more money / larger contracts. So with that in mind, and fearing no moves at all would be made, I think this trade is somewhat of a reasonable compromise between the two. We're still a couple of moves away though: a long swingman who can defend 3s and 4s and rebound, and a half decent backup point guard. I expect a big guy to be traded, considering we have way too many right now in Elson, Oberto, Butler, Tim, Bonner, Horry and now Ely.
fleetwood macbull (from a Bulls' board), on Andrés "Chapu" Nocioni: "Noc is like that guy from Monty Python. They can cut off his arms, his hands, his feet, then his legs, but he still comes rolling his torso at you like he's going to destroy you"
Old 02-14-07, 12:15 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I wouldn't say happy, but I guess its better than not making a move. I wish we could have picked up Sean May.
Old 02-14-07, 01:48 AM
FrenchConnection

Well, the two biggest problems that we have are defense and rebounding, Ely solves none except of course if he starts to play differently with the Spurs, which I doubt. May be, he can be a leader in the locker room because the Spurs need one right now, sorry but none of the big threes is.
Old 02-14-07, 02:08 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunc n Dave View Post
I voted no.

Agreeed totally.
I came here to write especially the same thing.
We could use Eric's expiring contract to get a rebounding SF. But now we have only Beno and Barry to trade.
Old 02-14-07, 03:03 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuxia View Post
I wish we could have picked up Sean May.
May is a pipe dream. He is one of the young core of the Bobcats for the future.
Old 02-14-07, 05:03 AM
SpursReport Team Member

expiring contract for expiring contract, we payed the difference between them, we lose a bench player of no real significance and no potential help for us in the future, we get a talented frontcourt guy(albeit not too dedicated) who is young and athletic, with some inside scoring ability. elson like, but a better scorer inside.with 2 potential inside scorer's duncan can't be double teamed as easily(ely would destroy a 6'6'' guy who rotated, and defense improves under pop (barry, big dog etc). we give up a second, but that will be in the 50's anyway, and we have plenty of good euros stashed already with scola mahinmi javtokas etc.
ely is being given a trial, if he doesnt work out, his contract is expiring so it doesn't really matter.
Old 02-14-07, 08:38 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I don't see why anyone would even bother complaining about this deal. We're missing Eric Freaking Williams.

Eric Williams was meaningless to the Spurs on-court. So you give up a second round pick for Melvin Ely. Would you draft Melvin Ely in the second round...you most certainly would. I dont' see a problem with this. I don't think this is a season making trade, but it certainly does no harm.
Old 02-14-07, 08:58 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I voted no.
Not because I don´t like the trade, but it means Oberto is the odd man out now.
Old 02-14-07, 09:02 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

We traded small for big.

We traded a player who had no prospect of playing for someone who can contribute today (low post scoring and 6 HARD fouls).

We traded for a player who will allow us to force people baseline again into help without fouling out Merlin.

Not an earth-shattering trade, but a minor upgrade -- I can't see why anyone would oppose it (aside from the Argentinians, of course)

No disrespect BUUUUUT...the amount of minutes Fabricio plays now ultimately hurts the Spurs. He's a 10-15 minute guy.

"Into Sean Elliott. He fires the three. AND HITS IT!"

Last edited by Menudo Terremoto Williams; 02-14-07 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-14-07, 09:28 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

What's not to like? Eric Williams was contributing nothing. We got a big. 2nd round draft choices are not a big deal. It's all good.
Old 02-14-07, 09:35 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMamaIsCallin View Post
What's not to like? Eric Williams was contributing nothing. We got a big. 2nd round draft choices are not a big deal. It's all good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menudo Terremoto Williams View Post
We traded small for big.

We traded a player who had no prospect of playing for someone who can contribute today (low post scoring and 6 HARD fouls).

We traded for a player who will allow us to force people baseline again into help without fouling out Merlin.

Not an earth-shattering trade, but a minor upgrade -- I can't see why anyone would oppose it (aside from the Argentinians, of course)

No disrespect BUUUUUT...the amount of minutes Fabricio plays now ultimately hurts the Spurs. He's a 10-15 minute guy.
Read carefully. Eric Williams and his expiring contract about 5 million was a very nice bullet to be a big trade's part. We lost it.
We should look for a rebounding SF(not Maggette but same type player) who can make sudden imapct and Eric's contract could be used for it.
We have 1 more week to look for this option. After not finding a suitable guy for this position, we would do that trade in deadline.
We aren't criticizing trade head to head, just looking from wide perspective.
Old 02-14-07, 09:36 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menudo Terremoto Williams View Post
I know, I know...
Old 02-14-07, 01:22 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Do you know why Ely was benched. He couldnt rebound.

oh what a world.

The Spurs made no improvement here. Or any loss. I dare say it was pointless but maybe a new face will add something. I already know he wont be better than Elson or Oberto since he doesnt know the system and that never helps.
Old 02-14-07, 02:02 PM
SpursReport Rookie

i also could really care less..i mean what are the chances that he breaks into the rotation? not very good i think...well i will take a wait and see attitude..on another note..I"M SO GLAD THE SPURS REPORT IS BACK!!!!!!
Old 02-14-07, 03:11 PM
Mr. Brightside

this guy is the answer?
Old 02-14-07, 04:18 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post
Agreeed totally.
I came here to write especially the same thing.
We could use Eric's expiring contract to get a rebounding SF. But now we have only Beno and Barry to trade.
Actually Ely frees up another big to trade along with Beno or Barry
Old 02-14-07, 04:37 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I am very happy with the Ely trade. Now I want us to get rid of that worthless piece of crap called Oberto. He does nothing for us other then make us worse on D. Trade him along with Barry and get us a young wing who can rebound!
Old 02-14-07, 05:43 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Hey ...

... what's wrong with Williams?
The Bobcats wanted him.
Old 02-14-07, 05:52 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeppS.Texas View Post
... what's wrong with Williams?
The Bobcats wanted him.
That's kinda a stretch there..... it's not like he's gonna help them far into the playoffs
They basically got a 2009 2nd round draft pick in the trade
Old 02-14-07, 05:54 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

ambivalent.
Old 02-15-07, 12:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

we need kevin willis throwin bows
Old 02-15-07, 12:35 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I'm just glad we made a trade.