News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 02-13-07, 03:59 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Ely Traded To The Spurs

Spurs acquire forward-center Melvin Ely
Wire Reports - Comtex AP
Tuesday, February 13, 2007

SAN ANTONIO -- The San Antonio Spurs traded forward Eric Williams and a draft pick to the Charlotte Bobcats for forward-center Melvin Ely in an exchange of veteran backups.

The Spurs said Tuesday that the draft pick is a second-round selection in 2009.

The 6-foot-10 Ely has averaged 2.9 points and 1.6 rebounds in 24 games for Charlotte this season. Ely is in his fifth NBA season, including two seasons with the Los Angeles Clippers.

Ely, who had asked to be traded in late December, had played little in Charlotte after signing a one-year, $3 million qualifying offer before the start of training camp.

The 6-8 Williams has averaged 2.6 points in 16 games this season, his 12th in the NBA. The Spurs traded center Rasho Nesterovic and cash to the Toronto Raptors last summer for forwards Williams and Matt Bonner and a second-round pick in 2009.

The Bobcats will be the seventh team for Williams, and his sixth in four seasons.
Old 02-13-07, 04:17 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Welcome Mellie Mel. I want a ride in that dude's Hummer.

"Into Sean Elliott. He fires the three. AND HITS IT!"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-13-07, 04:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I guess it's ok trade. If Ely can get a rebound now and then, it could turn out to be nice.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-13-07, 04:18 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Welcome Mellie Mel. I want a ride in that dude's Hummer. talk about tricked out

Old 02-13-07, 04:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think Joe Ely is a great Musician, but I bet his D and rebounding leave alot to be desired. :richb
Old 02-13-07, 04:21 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Will he be helpful with the small ball??
Old 02-13-07, 04:22 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousspirit View Post
Will he be helpful with the small ball??

no.

He's a low-post player. Not much help on the perimeter and so far isn't much of a rebounder.
Old 02-13-07, 04:23 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Hello Ely! i thought i told ya never to come in here!
Old 02-13-07, 04:24 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

P.S. I loved Ely on TV in "Tarzan"
Old 02-13-07, 04:27 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Maybe he is further trade bait. Can't see how we could use ANOTHER big man.
Old 02-13-07, 04:32 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOM21 View Post

Hello Ely! i thought i told ya never to come in here!

"Are you calling me chicken?"
Old 02-13-07, 04:34 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

He's a really good low post scorer, but a crappy rebounder. Decent shotblocker.

And he was robbed and shot at a Charlotte strip club in October 2005.

Old 02-13-07, 04:48 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Johnny Ludden: Spurs trade for Bobcats' Ely
The Spurs have acquied Charlotte center/forward Melvin Ely for Eric Williams and a 2009 second-round draft pick.

Ely, who is in his fifth NBA season, is averaging 2.9 points and 1.6 rebounds in 10.2 minutes per game.
Old 02-13-07, 04:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

The very foundation of the Western Conference has been shaken.
Old 02-13-07, 04:54 PM
Spartan Moderator

6'10", 261? Maybe he's here to improve our 'softness'?

Edit: Why am I a Spurs Report Rookie again???

Old 02-13-07, 04:56 PM
FrenchConnection

I feel much better now, watch out Dallas and Phoenix here comes...what's his name again?...ah yeah...Melvin Ely
Old 02-13-07, 04:59 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

well, a modest improvement.

Let's see what else happens.
Old 02-13-07, 05:10 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Can he be bundled with Beno and moved again?
Old 02-13-07, 05:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

interesting..its not like we were using eric wiliams anyways
Old 02-13-07, 05:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

well......people have wondered if the spurs brass read this site. a lot of people on here have been calling for a trade.

there ya go.
Old 02-13-07, 05:27 PM
Spartan Moderator

How soon do you think we'll see him in action?

Old 02-13-07, 05:30 PM
SpursReport Team Member

so the guy grabs 1.6 more rebounds a game than i do.

i'm impressed.
Old 02-13-07, 05:38 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Simple answer: No. He can be traded by himself, but not in a package.

Complicated answer: Although Ely can't be traded as part of a package, if you can take a multi-player deal and break it down into 2 separate deals where Ely would only be involved by himself you can do it that way. For example, say you want to trade Beno + Ely for mystery players A & B. If Beno for Player A works under the cap, and Ely for Player B also works under the cap then you can pull off a trade that way.
Old 02-13-07, 05:42 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
CC answered it but what about this trade now allowing the Spurs to package another current big with Beno.
Old 02-13-07, 05:44 PM
Spartan Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente View Post
CC answered it but what about this trade now allowing the Spurs to package another current big with Beno.
Interesting... who would it be? Oberto?

Old 02-13-07, 05:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

So basically, the Spurs traded Rasho Nesterovic for Melvin Ely and Matt Bonner. Not a bad deal.
Old 02-13-07, 05:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente View Post

Which other current big? Fabio? Bonner? Butler?
Old 02-13-07, 05:52 PM
Spartan Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toki9 View Post
Of those, I'd like to see Butler traded - he's not contributing at all and apparently hasn't impressed the coaching staff enough to get any minutes.

Old 02-13-07, 05:55 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toki9 View Post
That probably depends on what you could get in return. I'd say any of those guys are moveable.
Old 02-13-07, 05:58 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotes_geek View Post
That probably depends on what you could get in return. I'd say any of those guys are moveable.
i say Fabio...that hideous beard has to go...
Old 02-13-07, 06:18 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Why did we trade Williams?

Seems like we could have given up somebody else and had that much more off the books this summer. But, maybe Cha. wanted an expiring contract in return?
Is our defense that good? I think so. And the scary part is that the whole team seems to take a sadistic pride in shutting people down. What is Pop feeding them? They looked brainwashed out there, a single minded machine that just eats up their opponents. -----pjrfan
Old 02-13-07, 06:26 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Why

Why do they want a big man? I thought it was all about small ball? (Sarcasm)
Old 02-13-07, 06:29 PM
SpursReport Team Member

This trade was made due to 3 factors:
1)Ely is a million dollars cheaper than Williams (both ending contracts)
2)The Spurs were at $66 million in team salary
3)The luxury tax is $65 million.

The Bobcats bought a late 2nd rounder for $1 million dollars.
Old 02-13-07, 06:40 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later View Post
No, letting Rasho and Nazr walk and not picking up a quality big-man in their place was about the luxury tax.

This trade was all about "Oops.....this, um.....great plan isn't exactly working out the way we planned"
What quality big man was out there whom the Spurs could/should have signed instead? Ben Wallace was never in our price range. Pryzbilla's numbers aren't any better than Oberto's or Elson's. Neither are Lorenzen Wright's. Who else was there?
Old 02-13-07, 06:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
What quality big man was out there whom the Spurs could/should have signed instead? Ben Wallace was never in our price range. Pryzbilla's numbers aren't any better than Oberto's or Elson's. Neither are Lorenzen Wright's. Who else was there?
Oh boy... the mere thought of Przybilla gives me the chills... and to think we could have invested our MLE in him... uggghhhhh... *shudders*

Seriously, there was no attainable slam dunk big out there, which is why some of us were advocating for a trade for an athletic, rebounding swingman (like Ariza, Khryapa, or even a Delfino), and if that failed any cheap leftover SF (lile say Rasual Butler or Jumaine Jones) to go along with the bigs whose rights we hold in Scola and Javtokas. I still would have preferred that road.
fleetwood macbull (from a Bulls' board), on Andrés "Chapu" Nocioni: "Noc is like that guy from Monty Python. They can cut off his arms, his hands, his feet, then his legs, but he still comes rolling his torso at you like he's going to destroy you"
Old 02-13-07, 06:54 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
yep.
It very easy to say the Spurs should have goteen a big but who?
I was never certain but I think they did make Nazr an offer during the offseason- Nazr who might soon join his 4th team in 3 seasons.
Rasho was way overpaid and while an ok defender seemed to regress over his stay.
Wallace- yeah out price range
Mourning- stayed with heat despite contact with Spurs
Prybilla has been a bust as has wright.

The SPurs took a chance that ELson/Butler and Oberto could work out or the flexibility of having expiring contracts and cap room might help down the road.

A lot of criticism now, but after 05 everybody (well quite a few) where predicting 70 wins.
Signed a coveted free agent that many teams wanted (finley). Nazr would have a full year to learn the system and might light a fire under Rasho. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out.
T
It requires a bit of luck to maintan a team at the top for a long period of time (essentialy the spurs have had a chance a decent title shot for 4 straight years-03,04.05 and 06).

I think the team is realizing the problem over the last months and while Pop has stated none of his top 9-10 will be traded, I suspect shakeups this off season. At present you have to be very careful not to make a risky desperation move and have it blow up and be straddled for years.
Old 02-13-07, 07:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think its time to ship either Oberto or Elson, I would like to give Butler a chance, see if he can develope.
Old 02-13-07, 07:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

this is interesting, since the spurs actually did something. i think this is pop's way of lighting a fire under the centers. we all know their play has been less than desired, so now they have to compete for time w/ a kid who didn't get a chance to play much w/ the clippers and has been a bobcat, losing and losing. i hope he's hungry to play, but more of all, i hope he's hungry to win. a big man that'll bring size and energy next to timmy or even when timmy's out? i'm all for it when it comes at no expense. why not, right? 6'10, 260, this fellas a big guy, hopefully a bruiser who'll give us TOUGHNESS and intimidation, cuz once timmy's gone, nobody's afraid of driving the lane. i'm trying to be positive.

here's some pre-draft info on him as a prospect. i know it was in 2002, but he was taken 12th overall (though it was by elgin baylor) and good reviews:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/t...playerId=17287
http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/melvinely.htm

nbadraft.net makes some interesting highlights:
Athleticism: 9
Size: 10
Defense: 8
Strength: 9
Quickness: 8
Leadership: 7
Jump Shot: 7
NBA Ready: 9
Rebounding: 6
Potential: 9
Post Skills: 7
Intangibles: 7

i get the idea that he's quite an athlete, though he hasn't done anything in the league yet really. let's hope the spurs know what they're doing. oh, and nba comparison: nazr! i dunno if that's a good or a bad!
Old 02-13-07, 07:35 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Now they ship in a low post scorer - didn't they justify not bringing in Scola because he was a low post scorer?

Oh well, better than having Williams rotting on the bench. Now is he gonna sit until he "learns the system"? I say let him play and see if he can't get us a few extra rebounds.
Old 02-13-07, 07:39 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

He's definitely hungry, but will Pop let him play?

When injuries kept Bobcat starters out of the lineup in February of last year, Ely rose to the occasion. He started nine games in their place and averaged 14.1 points, 8.9 rebounds and 2.22 blocked shots. In 17 overall starts, Ely averaged almost 13 points while grabbing eight boards and rejecting two shots an outing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwhuxley View Post
Now they ship in a low post scorer - didn't they justify not bringing in Scola because he was a low post scorer?
That was when the front office thought they were like Leo DeCaprio in the Titanic movie... "King of the World!"

We all know how that ended.
Old 02-13-07, 07:43 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I know. They sure could use Scola right now.

I say let this guy play. Put Horry on the shelf until the playoffs or something. Horry can still do a Steve Kerr, but I am no longer comfortable with him being thick in the rotation.
Old 02-13-07, 07:50 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Of course I would have loved to get Scola... but if we got him, we would not have gotten Elson (money-wise it would be one or the other) and we would be left with only Oberto for center... I like Oberto, but I'm really happy for Elson... and happy for Ely now
Old 02-13-07, 08:04 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

i'm sure this vid of ely will make a lot of ppl like him already:

it's not a fight, just a shove, but i love this one viewers comment: "kobe knows better than to mess with a guy who has a beard like that.."
Old 02-13-07, 08:10 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG View Post
it would seem hard to believe SA made the deal to let him ride the bench
Not really when you consider that, from a financial standpoint, it would have been a convenient deal if we got a sack of potatoes instead of Ely. Still, I think he'll be of use.
fleetwood macbull (from a Bulls' board), on Andrés "Chapu" Nocioni: "Noc is like that guy from Monty Python. They can cut off his arms, his hands, his feet, then his legs, but he still comes rolling his torso at you like he's going to destroy you"
Old 02-13-07, 08:15 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG View Post
it would seem hard to believe SA made the deal to let him ride the bench
I agree with you but it's also hard to believe that Oberto is playing and Butler not
Old 02-13-07, 08:25 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Pop has been known to make trades for players he doesn't play. Even the guy we shipped off for Ely didn't really play and he came via a trade.
I sure hope this guy gets minutes.
Old 02-13-07, 08:32 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwhuxley View Post

Oh well, better than having Williams rotting on the bench. Now is he gonna sit until he "learns the system"? I say let him play and see if he can't get us a few extra rebounds.
There's a difference between being a 6-10" 260, low post scorer with athleticism, wingspan and an expiring contract vs. a 6'8", undersized, short armed low post scorer without athleticism that wanted a 3 year commitment.

Not really comparable, not at all.
Old 02-13-07, 08:33 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

I gotta believe he is going to see plenty of playing time. Probably Fabrizio will be the odd man out, since Elson has shown flashes but really both of them have faded or dissappeared altogether in the past few weeks. Both of our big guys are soft, they tend to shy away from contact and have become foul magnets. And really, Fab plays some good D but the refs have not let him do anything, I just think they got it in for him.

And also I just want to post something.
Old 02-13-07, 08:37 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

actually was thinking about trading for ely recently. Cept I had envisioned a E Williams and Beno trade for Ely and B.Knight.

Well, I guess half of the trade ain't so bad.
Old 02-13-07, 09:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
well......people have wondered if the spurs brass read this site. a lot of people on here have been calling for a trade.

there ya go.

Yeah, but probably not having this earth-shaker in mind.

Last edited by youngfritzel; 02-13-07 at 09:22 PM.