News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 08-30-06, 10:02 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

How far did you go?

It's the doldrums of the offseason so...was just wondering how far any of you went in sports before pursuing other endeavors.

Myself...I held the high school pass receiving record (# of receptions per game) in the state of Oklahoma before breaking my back in the 3rd to last game of the season in my junior year. Doctors orders were that I shouldn't play contact sports again.

I had signed a letter of comittment to play for OSU but never could resume an athletic career after my injury.

I took up basketball late in life and it's been my favorite sport ever since.

Last edited by SF4L; 08-30-06 at 10:05 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-30-06, 10:29 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I ran JV cross-country my sophomore year in high school as a means to get in shape for when my indoor soccer team came back in the winter. Never ran a mile faster than 6 minutes, 40 seconds, came in near the back of the pack every race, but at least I finished every race. Naturally, the day before the regional meet, I pinch the sciatic nerve on my right side, barely get healed before the indoor soccer team reconvenes, lose all of my built-up endurance, and get cut after the first practice.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-30-06, 10:30 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF4L
It's the doldrums of the offseason so...was just wondering how far any of you went in sports before pursuing other endeavors.

Myself...I held the high school pass receiving record (# of receptions per game) in the state of Oklahoma before breaking my back in the 3rd to last game of the season in my junior year. Doctors orders were that I shouldn't play contact sports again.

I had signed a letter of comittment to play for OSU but never could resume an athletic career after my injury.

I took up basketball late in life and it's been my favorite sport ever since.
Wow, that's really impressive! Sorry about the back, though.

Ummm I was all-city in basketball growing up until I went to a high school without a basketball team (magnet school). I still played and won a few tournaments, but against meager competition.

In college, I played for the div. 3 rugby national champions. I was the smallest guy on the team and eventually blew out my knee (torn MCL....twice), so I went back to basketball and played on the club team at the University of Richmond. We'd play tournaments all over the East coast. I was an undersized shooting guard (6'1") but I led the team in 3 pt fg%. Oh, stats.

I was never good enough for a scholarship, but most of the guys on the club team had played for our university team at one point and time (which is the only NCAA team to win a game in the tourny as a 15, 14, 13, and 12 seed, by the way).
3.) I will never, in any situation, argue when I can discuss

Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; 08-30-06 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-30-06, 10:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I ruled the debate club
Old 08-30-06, 11:03 PM
SpursReport Team Member

walked on to the UT tennis team. Played football until shoulder surgery my junior year in high school.
Old 08-31-06, 12:04 AM
The Master Baiter

Drumline, all state percussion, tackle football, basketball on weekends. Of course, now I surf...the internet.
Old 08-31-06, 12:46 AM
SpursReport Team Member

towel popping champion ... I could raise welts on a brick wall

seriously though I broke my femur in 6th grade and was in traction for 6 weeks and a body cast for 6 weeks. It was really 4 years before I could run properly so sports was out. In college in the late 70's I got caught up in the running craze and ran 10k's and a couple of half marathons. I still run when I can which is about 3 times a week in the winter and once a week in the summer.
Old 08-31-06, 08:44 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Just started studying ju-jitsu, and earned my seventh grade in June. Running a half marathon in Glasgow on Sunday, and a full one in Dublin at the end of October.

Oh, and I rocked the CYO Kasbah growing up.
Old 08-31-06, 08:58 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnington
Missed the summit of Aconcagua 3 times in a row
Weather? Terrain conditions?
Old 08-31-06, 09:07 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I used to run 10.000 meters....but never faster than 38/40 minutes.
Played soccer my whole life. Won some tournaments.
Oh....and I used to play table tennis. It´s fun.
Old 08-31-06, 09:55 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matias
I used to run 10.000 meters....but never faster than 38/40 minutes.
Played soccer my whole life. Won some tournaments.
Oh....and I used to play table tennis. It´s fun.
I love ping pong. I wish I had a table and good opponents to play against consistently.
Old 08-31-06, 10:06 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I started four years on the varsity basketball team, and was all-state three years. I was the only freshmen to ever start on the varsity squad, and set the single-game freshmen scoring record (32 points) which still stands today!

I received scholarship offers, but knew that I wasn't committed enough to become a college athlete. I loved the game, but not enough to make it my life. Instead, I accepted academic scholarships and now I'm an overweight middle-aged guy....
Old 08-31-06, 01:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Chess anyone.......?
Old 08-31-06, 05:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Wow. Cool stuff here. Dang Scrub...sounds like you could've done something amazing with that talent but like you said...guess you just didn't want to pursue.

As for me..my whole dream was to play football and be one of the best receivers to play the game. Fate had something else in store.

The Spurs helped me come out of my 5 year self pity funk after my injury. I took up playing BBall much to the warnings from my family and doctor's advise. Because of the Spurs, and if it wasn't for them being the only team I would watch when it came to BBall, I probably would have bloated up to over 250lbs. By watching them...they gave me a renewed interest in playing some kind of sport again. I owe it to them (the Spurs) for helping turn my life around when it came to exercising again.

And ever since playing BBall...I've never had any problems with my back again. That's funny...because instead of weakening a back like BBall can do...it strengthened my back.
Old 08-31-06, 05:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I played shortstop on the baseball team in highschool. I'm actually getting into almost as good of shape as in highschool, I told myself if I was able to do that again I'd try out for the Missions. I might fail, but I love playing too much not to try. I'm only 26, so I'm not too old. I don't think...
Old 08-31-06, 06:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantler
^^^ Ha! Littler League Baseball for me

Stolen base record in the Babe Ruth League. 21 (13 years old).

Joined ROTC in high school and never played organized sports again.
Old 08-31-06, 07:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I was an all-pro running back for the Canton Bulldogs, but retired to protest the coming global warming.
Old 08-31-06, 08:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Wow. Cool stuff here. Dang Scrub...sounds like you could've done something amazing with that talent but like you said...guess you just didn't want to pursue.

As for me..my whole dream was to play football and be one of the best receivers to play the game. Fate had something else in store.

The Spurs helped me come out of my 5 year self pity funk after my injury. I took up playing BBall much to the warnings from my family and doctor's advise. Because of the Spurs, and if it wasn't for them being the only team I would watch when it came to BBall, I probably would have bloated up to over 250lbs. By watching them...they gave me a renewed interest in playing some kind of sport again. I owe it to them (the Spurs) for helping turn my life around when it came to exercising again.

And ever since playing BBall...I've never had any problems with my back again. That's funny...because instead of weakening a back like BBall can do...it strengthened my back.
Where do you play? I'm looking for good pickup games.
Old 08-31-06, 08:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnington
Twice Bad weather, Always very near the summit. Once I spent 4 days inside the tent, while a snowstorm at 5800 masl, and was too much for me. Another time was a member of the team that was with High altitude sickness and we decided to go down with him when we were at 6300 masl.
Very cool. At least you didn't end up like the dude in Touching the Void.
Old 08-31-06, 09:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
Where do you play? I'm looking for good pickup games.
I play when I can. And when I can veries a lot depending on my job. But I started a thread asking people if they want to play to name the spot and I'll try to be there. I'm 45...but can hang with the youngin's in a game of ball. Old school here bro...but effective.
Old 08-31-06, 10:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I play when I can. And when I can veries a lot depending on my job. But I started a thread asking people if they want to play to name the spot and I'll try to be there. I'm 45...but can hang with the youngin's in a game of ball. Old school here bro...but effective.
Sounds good to me. I'll rally the workers sometime and get a SR pickup game going
Old 08-31-06, 11:16 PM
SpursReport Rookie

i played jv basketball sophmore year in high school. Won most improved player. Most points was 12. i stopped playing cause i wasn't to commited to the sport, and also i didnt like the varsity coach. But the good thing about it i lost 20 pounds, i was a big guy sophmore year.

Last edited by dabasketballguy; 08-31-06 at 11:22 PM.